MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, karmajay said:

Plenty of people don't care about props, posters, signatures etc. That's like asking people why people don't buy models of star wars ships instead of Lego ones. This is a great alternative for me people that like Lego.

Perfect response.  These sets are going to sell well in my opinion.  I'll be picking up a couple for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, karmajay said:

It looks like the Vader mosaic is the same size as the others. I don't understand how three of them combine to make the Vader? Or is it made out of extra pieces from 3 sets?

I think you must be looking at incorrect photograph.  

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/07/01/lego-art-revealed-as-mosaics-of-the-beatles-marilyn-monroe-star-wars-sith-and-iron-man-news/lego-art-31200-star-wars-the-sith-t9avn-3/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

What would you be wanting the mosiac to do differently? 

Instead of those 3 helmets let's make ST fans happy by making episode 9 Palpatine throne room with kylo and rey and we can also add a yellow lightsaber inside maybe even a random babu frik. Then let's make ot fans happy by doing 2 small sets for esb anniversary like vampa cave one and set with tauntans and even make a cool figure as promo like leia or lando. Then let's not waste time and energy on mosaics and those little pictures and let's make pt and cw fans happy by making accurate obi and phase 2 cody in grievous starfighter and let's make a mauls mandalorian starfighter with gar saxon, maul, ahsoka trooper and bo katan,lets make aat more accurate and add tactical droid in,special points for adding Admiral Trench to anakin interceptor and let's not make Carbonite characters in razor crest stickers. Why not focus on sets and fans you have instead of making plates, cups, posters, undersized helmets to somehow attract new people into lego like they are even going through lego eisle or up to date with new stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Plenty of people don't care about props, posters, signatures etc. That's like asking people why people don't buy models of star wars ships instead of Lego ones. This is a great alternative for me people that like Lego.

Exactly. Kind of ridiculous to even compare a cheap print to a mosaic. Might as well just quit buying LEGO then since LEGO sets has so many thoughtless products :hmpf:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Instead of those 3 helmets let's make ST fans happy by making episode 9 Palpatine throne room with kylo and rey and we can also add a yellow lightsaber inside maybe even a random babu frik. Then let's make ot fans happy by doing 2 small sets for esb anniversary like vampa cave one and set with tauntans and even make a cool figure as promo like leia or lando. Then let's not waste time and energy on mosaics and those little pictures and let's make pt and cw fans happy by making accurate obi and phase 2 cody in grievous starfighter and let's make a mauls mandalorian starfighter with gar saxon, maul, ahsoka trooper and bo katan,lets make aat more accurate and add tactical droid in,special points for adding Admiral Trench to anakin interceptor and let's not make Carbonite characters in razor crest stickers. Why not focus on sets and fans you have instead of making plates, cups, posters, undersized helmets to somehow attract new people into lego like they are even going through lego eisle or up to date with new stuff. 

Simple answer: because that's where the money is. LEGO is a business at the end of the day, and while they make the odd strange decision, they're not going to turn a blind eye to massive markets. The sets and packaging are designed precisely not to be in the LEGO aisle of stores, and instead to be their own thing, quite different to being a toy. Sure, it sucks that we haven't got Exegol or a yellow lightsabre or phase 2 Cody (at least yet, I would almost expect at least one of those to show up in the next year or so), but the way I look at it, LEGO expanding to other areas of the market means they'll have more money to spend on phase 2 Cody, Rex, Exegol et al.

And besides, if LEGO did what we wanted, we'd have nothing to complain about on here, and we can't be having that. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

These look way better than I expected! I love that they give you multiple options for display and it's a pleasant surprise that we have the option to choose Vader, Maul or Kylo, or even to combine 3 of them into one big Vader! If these weren't so expensive I'd want to buy 6! As it is though, I'll be lucky if I get one, what with all the great(and expensive) sets were getting later this year.

This is my feelings exactly. I really love all 3, especially that small Vader. But with so much else on the horizon & current stuff to get, I doubt any of these will make it on my shelf. It is very tempting though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

It's possible that the person had information, but the figures in this wave were also pretty guess-able.  The only sets that we weren't certain of the figures for at that point were Anakin's fighter (very, very easy to deduce who was coming with it), the AAT, and Greivous' ship (and we already knew for a fact it had 3 figures and that the third was a clone that wasn't Cody, so people had already correctly speculated it could be an Airborne trooper).  Even the Ahsoka trooper, while a bit unexpected, wasn't too difficult to just correctly guess, since it doesn't need any new molds and is relevant right now.  It also begs the question, why not come out with this information way earlier when we had almost zero info to go on about the minifigures or whatever that were included?  I don't think any of the Toy Fairs that did happen this year actually had SW stuff on display, otherwise we would've had way more information earlier on in the year, so I'm also a bit confused. 

I agree with you here, it seems the only plausible explanation is that he did just guess them all correctly. Yeah he definitely made up the part about seeing them at Toy Fair... how ironic that a troll attempt for which I assume aimed to spread misinformation turned out doing the opposite. Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

it sucks that we haven't got Exegol or a yellow lightsabre or phase 2 Cody

Slightly confused, could people not just make their own yellow lightsabers using trans yellow bars? Or are people looking for something unique that lego hasn't made possible yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Instead of those 3 helmets let's make ST fans happy by making episode 9 Palpatine throne room with kylo and rey and we can also add a yellow lightsaber inside maybe even a random babu frik. Then let's make ot fans happy by doing 2 small sets for esb anniversary like vampa cave one and set with tauntans and even make a cool figure as promo like leia or lando. Then let's not waste time and energy on mosaics and those little pictures and let's make pt and cw fans happy by making accurate obi and phase 2 cody in grievous starfighter and let's make a mauls mandalorian starfighter with gar saxon, maul, ahsoka trooper and bo katan,lets make aat more accurate and add tactical droid in,special points for adding Admiral Trench to anakin interceptor and let's not make Carbonite characters in razor crest stickers. Why not focus on sets and fans you have instead of making plates, cups, posters, undersized helmets to somehow attract new people into lego like they are even going through lego eisle or up to date with new stuff. 

So you don't like them because....they exist?

I'm not going to try to fight you on the rest of this stuff, but I will say two things you seem to have missed.

The mosaics are a new line, and as such we aren't getting less SW sets directly because of the SW mosaics. It's like the brickheadz, brick sketches, etc.

I wasn't aware of any plates, cups, etc for lego star wars, but if they exist I would once again say they're not taking spots actual sets would have had.

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

Slightly confused, could people not just make their own yellow lightsabers using trans yellow bars? Or are people looking for something unique that lego hasn't made possible yet?

Yeah, they're in some DC set. They're about 20 cents each on bricklink, less than kylo's saber. I bought a few for temple guards a while back.

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Plenty of people don't care about props, posters, signatures etc. That's like asking people why people don't buy models of star wars ships instead of Lego ones. This is a great alternative for me people that like Lego.

Exactly. the "why would you buy a lego ____ when you can buy a non-lego _____?" makes no sense to me. It's because it's lego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering, why are Marilyn Monroe and The Beatles built with round tiles, why Iron Man and Star Wars Sith with studs? I believe the reason is that Lego designed these to address different audiences, the first two oriented mostly towards adults and the other two mostly towards a younger audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Instead of those 3 helmets let's make ST fans happy by making episode 9 Palpatine throne room with kylo and rey and we can also add a yellow lightsaber inside maybe even a random babu frik. Then let's make ot fans happy by doing 2 small sets for esb anniversary like vampa cave one and set with tauntans and even make a cool figure as promo like leia or lando. Then let's not waste time and energy on mosaics and those little pictures and let's make pt and cw fans happy by making accurate obi and phase 2 cody in grievous starfighter and let's make a mauls mandalorian starfighter with gar saxon, maul, ahsoka trooper and bo katan,lets make aat more accurate and add tactical droid in,special points for adding Admiral Trench to anakin interceptor and let's not make Carbonite characters in razor crest stickers. Why not focus on sets and fans you have instead of making plates, cups, posters, undersized helmets to somehow attract new people into lego like they are even going through lego eisle or up to date with new stuff. 

So instead of trying to make new and fresh lines for AFOLs (finally, after all those years, you can say that they actually started making sets for adult Lego fans with all those 18+ sets this year), you want them to... not do it and make sets based on your wishlist?

You know that Lego sets (or themes itself) have a budget that they cannot cross, right? So no, they probably couldn't make a big carbonite mould for Razor Crest (it also wouldn't fit in the ship tho) or they couldn't make a new print for every single character.

To sum it up: you're unhappy because Lego is not making sets that are on your wishlist. Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

So instead of trying to make new and fresh lines for AFOLs (finally, after all those years, you can say that they actually started making sets for adult Lego fans with all those 18+ sets this year), you want them to... not do it and make sets based on your wishlist?

To sum it up: you're unhappy because Lego is not making sets that are on your wishlist. Nice.

I have nothing against LEGO trying to make new lines and new interesting things,my problem is that they are focusing on random things and quality of sets and figures are dropping. It is my strong belief that they are lowering the budget of star wars theme on sets and figures and using them on random things to test the market supposedly for the afols. I am afol and i fell in love with LEGO cause of figures and sets not cause of random stuff they made. If my local pizzeria starts making new foods i wouldnt care but  if they started making new foods and pizza quality dropped and turned into garbage thats another thing. In what world do they give mustafar obi in utapau set and then raise the price 30 usd,or place a burnt darth vader in anakins jedi starfighter,without even talking about may the 4th promo,innacurate mandalorian battle pack,only 1 sith trooper in battle pack,most sets are straight rereleases with few changes this year,from january 3rd to august (september in usa)we didnt get 1 regular set vs 11 last year,even if they have separate budgets helmets and d-o lost us entire wave of sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I have nothing against LEGO trying to make new lines and new interesting things,my problem is that they are focusing on random things and quality of sets and figures are dropping. It is my strong belief that they are lowering the budget of star wars theme on sets and figures and using them on random things to test the market supposedly for the afols. I am afol and i fell in love with LEGO cause of figures and sets not cause of random stuff they made. If my local pizzeria starts making new foods i wouldnt care but  if they started making new foods and pizza quality dropped and turned into garbage thats another thing. In what world do they give mustafar obi in utapau set and then raise the price 30 usd,or place a burnt darth vader in anakins jedi starfighter,without even talking about may the 4th promo,innacurate mandalorian battle pack,only 1 sith trooper in battle pack,most sets are straight rereleases with few changes this year,from january 3rd to august (september in usa)we didnt get 1 regular set vs 11 last year,even if they have separate budgets helmets and d-o lost us entire wave of sets.

Can you tell me how The Mandalorian battle pack is inaccurate?

Also, things like "only" one Sith Trooper in Battle Pack or new style for May The 4th promos are your personal problems with those sets. For example I love new May The 4th promos much more than those minifigures (except Revan), and I think that including only one Sith Trooper in the battle pack was a good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I have nothing against LEGO trying to make new lines and new interesting things,my problem is that they are focusing on random things and quality of sets and figures are dropping. It is my strong belief that they are lowering the budget of star wars theme on sets and figures and using them on random things to test the market supposedly for the afols. I am afol and i fell in love with LEGO cause of figures and sets not cause of random stuff they made. If my local pizzeria starts making new foods i wouldnt care but  if they started making new foods and pizza quality dropped and turned into garbage thats another thing.

There is some validity to what you're saying. LEGO Star Wars is clearly operating on a smaller budget this year than in the previous 5+ years. Fewer new molds than is typical (5 or so this year, about half what is typical), reused prints, and fewer System sets. (No April wave this year, whereas we would normally have seen 7-8 new System sets then).

I think where your argument loses traction is in attributing that drop in budget/molds/sets to the AFOL-targeted sets like the mosaic and the helmets. As I'm sure others have pointed out, LEGO tries new things every few years, whether it's the action battle sets last year (resounding duds), the Brickheadz the year or two before that, or the constraction figs in years prior. These came and went without impacting the regular sets we received along with them, so it's unlikely there is a correlation between this year's experimental off-shoots and the drop in quality/quantity of System sets.

Will the helmets fare any better? Time will tell. Given their success so far, it's safe to say we will be receiving more of them. The Mosaics are a separate line entirely, with their own internal code name (Zebra) and their own design team. With only one of them devoted to Star Wars, and how dissimilar they are to System sets in build, I think it's safe to say no System sets were sacrificed on the altar of that Sith mosaic.

As for what the future holds, expect next year to look a lot like this year, in terms of the number of sets/waves and the makeup of those waves. This seems to be the new normal, like it or not.

Edited by jdubbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I have nothing against LEGO trying to make new lines and new interesting things,my problem is that they are focusing on random things and quality of sets and figures are dropping. It is my strong belief that they are lowering the budget of star wars theme on sets and figures and using them on random things to test the market supposedly for the afols. I am afol and i fell in love with LEGO cause of figures and sets not cause of random stuff they made. If my local pizzeria starts making new foods i wouldnt care but  if they started making new foods and pizza quality dropped and turned into garbage thats another thing. In what world do they give mustafar obi in utapau set and then raise the price 30 usd,or place a burnt darth vader in anakins jedi starfighter,without even talking about may the 4th promo,innacurate mandalorian battle pack,only 1 sith trooper in battle pack,most sets are straight rereleases with few changes this year,from january 3rd to august (september in usa)we didnt get 1 regular set vs 11 last year,even if they have separate budgets helmets and d-o lost us entire wave of sets.

I mentioned this to you before, but maybe you'll understand the way @jdubbs puts it?

5 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I think where your argument loses traction is in attributing that drop in budget/molds/sets to the AFOL-targeted sets like the mosaic and the helmets. As I'm sure others have pointed out, LEGO tries new things every few years, whether it's the action battle sets last year (resounding duds), the Brickheadz the year or two before that, or the constraction figs in years prior. These came and went without impacting the regular sets we received along with them, so it's unlikely there is a correlation between this year's experimental off-shoots and the drop in quality/quantity of System sets.

Also, the mandalorian battle pack isn't inaccurate, they're based off the show and the green one specifically has had other merchandise for her.

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

So instead of trying to make new and fresh lines for AFOLs (finally, after all those years, you can say that they actually started making sets for adult Lego fans with all those 18+ sets this year), you want them to... not do it and make sets based on your wishlist?

You know that Lego sets (or themes itself) have a budget that they cannot cross, right? So no, they probably couldn't make a big carbonite mould for Razor Crest (it also wouldn't fit in the ship tho) or they couldn't make a new print for every single character.

To sum it up: you're unhappy because Lego is not making sets that are on your wishlist. Nice.

I completely agree. It's insane to be upset at a new line for adult star wars fans, one that doesn't take away from the current sets we're getting, because the set you personally wanted didn't come out? In that case, I hate the mosiacs because I'd rather have a rebel friend polybag and a UCS Gonk Droid :laugh:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Also, things like "only" one Sith Trooper in Battle Pack or new style for May The 4th promos are your personal problems with those sets. For example I love new May The 4th promos much more than those minifigures (except Revan), and I think that including only one Sith Trooper in the battle pack was a good choice.

One Sith Trooper proper to TWO Jet Troopers? Get outta' here! :laugh:

31 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

This seems to be the new normal, like it or not.

With our first non-movie year since 2014, it's a sad look for the future. There's still hope, of course, but like you mentioned, all these "problems", perceived or otherwise, seem to be internal to the theme itself. Outliers like Brickheads and this (1) mosaic, fall into other themes' purview, and one mosaic changes nothing about the Star Wars line. All of the sets' problems are either budget constraints, or Lego being greedy, lazy, or a combination thereof.

I still hold that 2021 will be a little better. But we'll see.

22 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Also, the mandalorian battle pack isn't inaccurate, they're based off the show and the green one specifically has had other merchandise for her.

I love that Green Mando! I even bought the Funko of her. Now to scour Wookiepedia to find out the story behind her. Every background character has a wiki entry, right? :laugh:

24 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's insane to be upset at a new line for adult star wars fans, one that doesn't take away from the current sets we're getting, because the set you personally wanted didn't come out? In that case, I hate the mosiacs because I'd rather have a rebel friend polybag and a UCS Gonk Droid :laugh:.

And the big thing is, this isn't even a "Star Wars" theme, it's just one mosaic! Nothing would've taken it's place in the SW line proper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

it's unlikely there is a correlation between this year's experimental off-shoots and the drop in quality/quantity of System sets.

As for what the future holds, expect next year to look a lot like this year, in terms of the number of sets/waves and the makeup of those waves. This seems to be the new normal, like it or not.

Ok got it ,thanks for clarifying i thought they all share budget and they are using it on random stuff.

Hopefully at least something is PT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I love that Green Mando! I even bought the Funko of her. Now to scour Wookiepedia to find out the story behind her. Every background character has a wiki entry, right? :laugh:

And the big thing is, this isn't even a "Star Wars" theme, it's just one mosaic! Nothing would've taken it's place in the SW line proper.

The reference book should come out in a few months, I'm sure she'll be in that.

IMO this mosaic is better than half the sets releasing this year, not that there are particularly bad sets this year, the mosaic just looks so cool.

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Also, things like "only" one Sith Trooper in Battle Pack or new style for May The 4th promos are your personal problems with those sets. For example I love new May The 4th promos much more than those minifigures (except Revan), and I think that including only one Sith Trooper in the battle pack was a good choice.

Can't agree about the battle pack, but I do like the new promos, again with revan as an exception. I've actually been reading up on revan and he's just such a cool character, I hope we get some more KOTOR content in canon now that revan is technically canon.

2 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Ok got it ,thanks for clarifying i thought they all share budget and they are using it on random stuff.

Hopefully at least something is PT.

the mosaic has an option for each trilogy.... and the new wave has 4 prequel sets and 2 each OT and ST. (3 if you want to count mandalorian, but I feel like it's sort of it's own thing and not as connected to any trilogy as much as clone wars or rebels)

The plurality of sets this wave are prequel.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

As for what the future holds, expect next year to look a lot like this year, in terms of the number of sets/waves and the makeup of those waves. This seems to be the new normal, like it or not.

That’s a shame to hear, albeit not all too surprising with the dearth of major SW content next year. The comparison you draw at least suggests we’ll get a spread of sets drawing from all eras. While I’m still holding out for a P2 Captain Rex or something from Fallen Order, I’ll keep any bouts of optimism in check. 

The Sith Mosaic looks absolutely gorgeous, very smart move of Lego to provide 3 options and modularisation to create something even bigger should the consumer splurge on multiple copies. The addition of being able to listen to a specialised podcast to complement the building experience is also quite interesting! Really nails down that this is to be considered a premium, adult-oriented product.

Lego really need to work on the copywriting for their product descriptions though, especially for the system sets. Goodness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those new mosaics look amazing! Definitely exceeded my expectations. The option of having three different portraits and one large piece is genius and definitely adds to the collectability aspect of it. I look forward to seeing what other characters they release in the future.

Its a shame if next year is going to be more of the same in regards to the system sets. The ones based on newer content this year (Mandalorian, TCW and TROS) have generally been fine but the OT and PT offerings definitely feel too safe and minimal with its character line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 7:23 AM, jdubbs said:

As for what the future holds, expect next year to look a lot like this year, in terms of the number of sets/waves and the makeup of those waves. This seems to be the new normal, like it or not.

I guess this isn't the worst thing. At least we'll continue to see stuff from all eras of Star Wars if this is the case. More sets wouldn't be a bad thing, but I hope that they make higher quality sets if they are releasing less of them (not reusing figures from other sets where they clearly don't belong would be a good start).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Renown said:

This little one's not worth the effort. Come, let me get you something. 

I would quote you back the next line of dialog but it's just "Grahhh!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MGS6735 said:

I guess this isn't the worst thing. At least we'll continue to see stuff from all eras of Star Wars if this is the case. More sets wouldn't be a bad thing, but I hope that they make higher quality sets if they are releasing less of them (not reusing figures from other sets where they clearly don't belong would be a good start).

Agreed, a mix between eras is always nice.

10 minutes ago, Renown said:

This little one's not worth the effort. Come, let me get you something. 

Trying not to get my hopes up but... ANOTHER set this year!

Either that or it's the 2hy d2c, which would be pretty cool too.

6 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I would quote you back the next line of dialog but it's just "Grahhh!!"

*lightsaber noise* *Ponda Baba's arm bleeding on the floor*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.