MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Yeah, it’s the same style packaging that the 2x4 Red Brick GWP set came in a while back. Not sure why the change though.

Ah, I didn't know about the brick. This was my first experience with this kind of box.

Maybe it's cheaper, or easier to produce?

On 9/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, Gremer2 said:

Ah, I didn't know about the brick. This was my first experience with this kind of box.

Maybe it's cheaper, or easier to produce?

I work in the packaging industry, its common practice to use a default case design for smaller quantity runs.  Due to the limited nature of this item, also considering it was a GWP, probably did not justify the added cost of using a custom printed box.  Line start-up and graphics work are fixed costs that do not spread well on low volume runs.

Just received my Cantina, looks fantastic, but I am very disappointed in how damaged my Yoda's lightsaber was. Only 1 packing bubble that was deflated. 

So, for those interested - Bespin Duel 75294 has just gone from "Temporarily Unavailable" to "Backorder" status on Lego.com.  At least for the Canadian version of the sales site.

If you missed out before, now may be the time to try to get an order in.

They are limiting quantities, but I suspect this round will be similar to last round.

Cheers :)

On 9/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, ChefDD said:

Hello everyone, sorry if I'm interrupting I don't mean to. But, has anybody heard any news about LEGO Star Wars Celebration The Bespin Duel 75294 set from Target? 

From what I've heard or read on Lego.com they have stopped and won't restock on their website. I haven't heard anything from Target yet. Just wondering, if anybody has heard about any more restocks for this VERY exclusive set.

Thanks, everyone. I highly appreciate it. 

You might want to take a look at Lego shop at home now.

Sorry if someone has posted already:

Ryan has said that a reliable source told him the Republic Gunship will be $250.

Edited by Thieda

3 hours ago, Thieda said:

Ryan has said that a reliable source told him the Republic Gunship will be $250.

Gotta say, his information has been getting better. He’s been pretty on Target the last couple years. I guess he started taking his reputation more seriously, good for him, I can respect that. Not a fan of the channel but good info is good info

$250 sounds like it could be close to minifig scale then, not super sized as some have speculated.  I can easily imagine Lego taking a model the size of 75021 and adding a thousand parts to it.  After all, the X-wing nearly doubled in parts count between 2006 and 2019 while maintaining the same physical size. Has this reliable source said anything about the release date?

Edited by icm

On 9/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, Northoftheborder said:

Does anyone know how to get this magazine in Canada? My son (and me) would love it

I've ordered my copy from Newsstand (hope it comes with the TIE Dagger and Luke) and they seem to ship worldwide, if you're happy to pay the postage.

7 hours ago, Thieda said:

interesting. The 2013 gunship was $120, so accounting for inflation around $133. This would suggest that the upcoming gunship will indeed be larger than playscale, as that's almost twice the price the 2013 gunship would go for today.

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Gotta say, his information has been getting better. He’s been pretty on Target the last couple years. I guess he started taking his reputation more seriously, good for him, I can respect that. Not a fan of the channel but good info is good info

agreed.

13 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

interesting. The 2013 gunship was $120, so accounting for inflation around $133. This would suggest that the upcoming gunship will indeed be larger than playscale, as that's almost twice the price the 2013 gunship would go for today.

agreed.

With his recent track record, I would be inclined to believe it. However, I still have a hard time believing the Gunship is the May UCS set. My guess is we’ll get a $200 May set as usual and the Gunship will be in the fall

Did he say he heard the May set was going to be $250? Or the UCS Gunship? I thought it was the former, with a possibility of it being both.

I've been of the mind that it'll be a bit larger than normal, scaled to use the 20455 Cylinder Hemisphere 9 x 4 x 7 used for the Jurrasic World Gyrosphere. As we know, UCS sets have a higher standard for accuracy & aesthetics and I feel like that's the ideal part for the bubble turrets on the side.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=20455&idColor=12#T=S&C=12&O={"color":12,"iconly":0}

8 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Did he say he heard the May set was going to be $250? Or the UCS Gunship? I thought it was the former, with a possibility of it being both.

I've been of the mind that it'll be a bit larger than normal, scaled to use the 20455 Cylinder Hemisphere 9 x 4 x 7 used for the Jurrasic World Gyrosphere. As we know, UCS sets have a higher standard for accuracy & aesthetics and I feel like that's the ideal part for the bubble turrets on the side.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=20455&idColor=12#T=S&C=12&O={"color":12,"iconly":0}

That's actually pretty smart, because it'd allow them to get the full bubble, unlike the previous sets.

8 hours ago, Pedilego said:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a set was scaled around the size of one existing piece. The entire recent UCS Star Destroyer was scaled off the dish used to create the reactor underneath.

Glad I didn't hold off buying the Cantina - those Yoda's lightsabers are going for crazy prices on EBAY - mine's at nearly $100 already with 5 days to go on the auction. Nice little discount on the Cantina along with the VIP points.

14 hours ago, icm said:

$250 sounds like it could be close to minifig scale then, not super sized as some have speculated.  I can easily imagine Lego taking a model the size of 75021 and adding a thousand parts to it.  After all, the X-wing nearly doubled in parts count between 2006 and 2019 while maintaining the same physical size. Has this reliable source said anything about the release date?

I still think $250 is too big to be minifigure scale.  The thing with the gunship is, the system versions (which I think at most would be like $150 if released right now) are already pretty much in proportion.  They can't really make them any wider without having to make it taller, and making it taller would be pretty ridiculous, since they're already pretty much the ideal height right now.  I guess they could make the wings a bit beefier and some more interior detail, but I don't see that adding nearly $100 of value to the set unless they scaled it up.  

The only minifig scale UCS ships/vehicles I can think of were Slave I, the Millennium Falcon, and the Sandcrawler (which actually still I think might be smaller than minifig scale).  All of those were vehicles that are way too big to accurately capture in a system-sized set, so while they can do a Slave I for $90 or a Falcon for $120, they're passable but not large enough to truly be in scale.  The problem with the gunship is that the system scale version is already pretty much figure scale at $120-130, so other than the fact that they haven't put one out in 7 years, there's no real reason for it to be sized up to $250 when they can do it for much cheaper.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

The only minifig scale UCS ships/vehicles I can think of were Slave I, the Millennium Falcon, and the Sandcrawler (which actually still I think might be smaller than minifig scale).  All of those were vehicles that are way too big to accurately capture in a system-sized set, so while they can do a Slave I for $90 or a Falcon for $120, they're passable but not large enough to truly be in scale.  The problem with the gunship is that the system scale version is already pretty much figure scale at $120-130, so other than the fact that they haven't put one out in 7 years, there's no real reason for it to be sized up to $250 when they can do it for much cheaper.

The Sandcrawler is much smaller than minifgure scale (somewhere less than half--you can see the door on the side that they've represented as a sticker on a 2x4 piece). The Imperial Shuttle is the other one that's roughly the right size.

I tend to agree that it would be hard to double the number of pieces in the Gunship alone and keep it at minifigure scale. They might get there by increasing the detail on some parts (wings, bubble turrets, doors) and adding a couple of side builds or something, but that doesn't really sound like a UCS set. It seems more likely that it would be at the same rough scale as all the UCS starfighters, around ~1.5x minifig.

Let's talk it through by the numbers: is it possible for a $250 Gunship to be minifigure scale?

• The m5_builds custom Gunship has over 1,400 pieces. That does include double doors but not bubble turrets, flood lights, or minifigures.
  • The BrickVault custom Gunship contains 1,587 pieces. I'm assuming this count includes the double doors, bubble turrets, & flood lights.
    • Side Note: I'm not saying double doors & flood lights for Clone Wars conversions are likely; I'm just seeing what max part count gets us.
  • The custom sets don't include a speeder, which was another 27 parts in the 2013 Gunship. A more detailed version may use 50 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include a UCS plaque or display stand. The A-Wing used just over 100 pieces so the Gunship may need 150 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include minifigures. If this set is scaled to them, there's no reason they couldn't, say, re-create the Dooku pursuit scene (2 pilots, 2 gunners, 2 clones, Anakin, Kenobi, Padme, Dooku) plus Commander Cody from the fan vote. That's another ~50 pieces

Ok, so even if they included all of ^that, we're looking at a part count in the mid-1,800s. For comparison,

• The 2013 UCS Ewok Village had 1,990 pieces, 21 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2016 UCS Assault on Hoth had 2,144 pieces, 15 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2017 UCS Snowspeeder had 1,703 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD .
  • The 2018 UCS Y-Wing had 1,967 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • The 2020 UCS A-Wing had 1,673 pieces, 1 minifigure, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • This theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship could have up to 1,850 pieces, 11 minifigures, and retail for $249.99 USD.

To me, while $200 is entirely possible, a $250 minifigure scale Gunship is tipping the scales a bit too much.

For the record, I'd personally prefer & purchase more at minifigure scale.

14 hours ago, Archer said:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a set was scaled around the size of one existing piece. The entire recent UCS Star Destroyer was scaled off the dish used to create the reactor underneath.

Huh I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

15 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Let's talk it through by the numbers: is it possible for a $250 Gunship to be minifigure scale?

• The m5_builds custom Gunship has over 1,400 pieces. That does include double doors but not bubble turrets, flood lights, or minifigures.
  • The BrickVault custom Gunship contains 1,587 pieces. I'm assuming this count includes the double doors, bubble turrets, & flood lights.
    • Side Note: I'm not saying double doors & flood lights for Clone Wars conversions are likely; I'm just seeing what max part count gets us.
  • The custom sets don't include a speeder, which was another 27 parts in the 2013 Gunship. A more detailed version may use 50 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include a UCS plaque or display stand. The A-Wing used just over 100 pieces so the Gunship may need 150 pieces?
  • The custom sets don't include minifigures. If this set is scaled to them, there's no reason they couldn't, say, re-create the Dooku pursuit scene (2 pilots, 2 gunners, 2 clones, Anakin, Kenobi, Padme, Dooku) plus Commander Cody from the fan vote. That's another ~50 pieces

Ok, so even if they included all of ^that, we're looking at a part count in the mid-1,800s. For comparison,

• The 2013 UCS Ewok Village had 1,990 pieces, 21 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2016 UCS Assault on Hoth had 2,144 pieces, 15 minifigures, and retailed for $249.99 USD.
  • The 2017 UCS Snowspeeder had 1,703 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD .
  • The 2018 UCS Y-Wing had 1,967 pieces, 2 minifigures, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • The 2020 UCS A-Wing had 1,673 pieces, 1 minifigure, and retailed for $199.99 USD.
  • This theoretical 2021 UCS Gunship could have up to 1,850 pieces, 11 minifigures, and retail for $249.99 USD.

To me, while $200 is entirely possible, a $250 minifigure scale Gunship is tipping the scales a bit too much.

These are very good arguments, and I totally agree with your thoughts. I would also add another thing, which is related to size and displayability. The last LEGO system scale version (set 75021) is 40 cm long and 43 cm wide. The minifig scale version from BrickVault is 46 cm long and 43 cm wide. I don't think a set over 50 cm long and wide would be very displayable. It might actually stop some people from buying it due to lack of space. In my opinion, a slighly larger model than the last one with far more details (it's a UCS) would make many people happy: those who want a very detailed and accurate set, those who want a minifig scale model to be filled with their clones army, those who don't want to spend too much buying an overpriced older version, etc.

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

Interesting breakdown, thanks!  

I think the figures are sort of a big "if" as far as whether or not they're included in those numbers.  If it's not minifigure scale, I'd imagine we get like two clone pilots and maybe a Jedi or two.  (Regardless of what the set is in terms of scale, I'm almost positive there's zero chance it's TCW based, which means it's almost positively AOTC based, seeing as it had an incredibly minor role in ROTS.  So a lot of people are going to be mad when Rex/Wolffe/every named clone ever aren't included, even though that wasn't going to happen in the first place).  If it is minifigure scale, that lineup seems the most likely, although maybe without Dooku and get rid of two of the clones, since even the "playscale" UCS stuff tends to not go over the top on figures.  Like, the UCS Slave I contained fewer figures than the system-scale one, despite being over twice the price - they just aren't released as minifigure-based sets, while the MBS ones seem to go quite a bit deeper into lots of exclusive/new figures.  

The other thing I saw that points to it not being minifigure scale is there was a brickset interview a while back where the designers talked about the biggest challenge so far being to stabilize the wings, which they alluded to being pretty large.  This may or may not mean anything, because a minifigure scale one could get some beefier wings, making them heavier without being necessarily larger, but it also makes me think it's going to be larger scale, as they've successfully put fairly accurate wings on three previous iterations of the ship.

For what it's worth - I'd love a minifig scale gunship, but I would prefer they put out a system-scale one instead, especially since they've proven they can do it at half the price of what this one is rumored to be.

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

• *math*

Huh I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

I'd also prefer a minifigure scale one, but I agree that it's unlikely. I think we'll see a gunship larger than minifigure scale with, say, 2 clone pilots, a clone trooper, and jedi bob.

I think you guys are being optimistic about figures--none of the larger-than-minifig-scale UCS sets have come with more than two, and several only have one. It's entirely possible that the Gunship will have only a single clone pilot. If that's the case, I would hope that they might take the opportunity to finally introduce an accurate P1 pilot helmet, without the crest; but we have to bear in mind that the point of UCS sets isn't the minifigures, so getting hopes up at this point is not a good idea.

Oh yeah it's absolutely possible this gunship will be minifig scale. That would be a blessing for me since I missed the very original one, passed on the 2008 version because of the horrible figs and (to my great misfortune) missed the 2013 version (too busy doing chemical reactions, I think :wink:). Can't really think how they'd put 11 figs in a Gunship set unless they want to do a mashup of AotC (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme) and RotS (Yoda, Windu) with additional clone figures, but we'll see.

Sorry to derail the Gunship discussion, but there’s images floating around on #legoleaks of a new, smaller TIE and Imperial Shuttle. Do we think these are legit? Because I remember a new TIE on the smaller side was rumoured for next year but don’t think we heard anything about an Imperial Shuttle . . ?

Personally I think they both look great and would like to get them both.

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Sorry to derail the Gunship discussion, but there’s images floating around on #legoleaks of a new, smaller TIE and Imperial Shuttle. Do we think these are legit?

They are.  The TIE is.

Edited by jdubbs