MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Looks like you’ve joined the dark side :vader: Time to push YOU down the stairs and pry some 501st Clones from your cold, dead hands :laugh_hard:

I have them locked in a safety deposit box surrounded by starving Alsatians.

I joke of course. I will open the box and proudly pose my little Clones. They can stage an invasion of my imminent cantina.

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

Holy smoke. That's pretty bad. Make more Lego! 

I have one unopened here. I was planning to open it, keep the figs and use the parts elsewhere but gosh. In a couple of years it might pay off my mortgage.

No kidding. If it's this bad 1-2 months after it's been released, imagine how bad it'll be a few months after it retires. There's even a 7 week wait for replacement parts.

I'm planning to buy a few copies once all this calms down a bit, maybe it'll pay for my college education.

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Looks like you’ve joined the dark side :vader: Time to push YOU down the stairs and pry some 501st Clones from your cold, dead hands :laugh_hard:

Not if I get there first! :vader:

Seriously though, they need to make more of these sets. what's the good of an army builder if you only end up with 3 troopers and a jet trooper?

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

I have them locked in a safety deposit box surrounded by starving Alsatians.

I joke of course. I will open the box and proudly pose my little Clones. They can stage an invasion of my imminent cantina.

They're staging a raid, the cantina has 18 galactic health code violations. :grin:

Has anyone in the US had their Cantina ship yet? Still waiting for mine to leave the warehouse...

12 hours ago, Ozkabot said:

Those who've already got their hands on and built the Cantina, how long would you say the build time was?

You may want to try this thread.

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

Holy smoke. That's pretty bad. Make more Lego! 

I have one unopened here. I was planning to open it, keep the figs and use the parts elsewhere but gosh. In a couple of years it might pay off my mortgage.

I doubt it. One of the lessons I've learned in collectables... the rarest most collectible ones aren't declared rare until they can no longer be manufactured. From what I can tell, Lego has made more of this set than any other in a long time... smells like the beanie baby fallacy to me.

But maybe I'll be proved wrong. Only time will tell. :laugh:

15 hours ago, Ozkabot said:

Those who've already got their hands on and built the Cantina, how long would you say the build time was?

I broke it up over two days, build most of the first "box" in maybe 4 hours while watching TV.  The remainder I built yesterday, started around 1PM and finished about 5PM.  Maybe 8 hours of distracted building?  I really enjoyed the build.

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Has anyone in the US had their Cantina ship yet? Still waiting for mine to leave the warehouse...

You're not alone. I ordered mine a few minutes before 9am and it is still in the warehouse. It says that there are delays because of COVID on the order status page. So, let's hope they ship by Monday :grin:

Edit: Actually, after I posted this, mine shipped.

Edited by avengers777

Mine hasn't shipped yet either. I ordered Luke's Landspeeder this morning though at like 1AM, and they've already sent shipment information.

12 hours ago, DEAD1974 said:

I guess there are still tons of them in a normal shops, but your plan... maybe it will work

I don't even think I'd say that, I haven't even caught so much as a whiff of it.

It's actually ridiculous.  In my area, which is a moderately sized US city, there are no Target or Walmart stores in a 40-50 mile range (no exaggeration there either, I've checked the store inventories on their website and not a single one near me has them or the AAT), the physical Lego store near me has neither, Target.com has the AAT for shipping but no 501st, Walmart.com doesn't have either, there's a Barnes and Noble 92 miles away that has the 501st set in stock and nowhere else in a 100 mile radius (and they're sold out of it to order), and Kohl's is sold out of both (actually I don't know if they're selling the AAT, it seems like they don't get the entire wave of sets in often, only part).

Now, I get that this set had hype and that people wanted it, but there's absolutely no way that these are all people who are buying this to open and play with or whatever, this has to be scalpers/resellers capitalizing on the hype or people who are just hoarding them because it's rare.  I get it, its their right to buy it, but is it really necessary to clean out every store in a 50 mile radius?  

8 hours ago, thorin said:

I doubt it. One of the lessons I've learned in collectables... the rarest most collectible ones aren't declared rare until they can no longer be manufactured. From what I can tell, Lego has made more of this set than any other in a long time... smells like the beanie baby fallacy to me.

But maybe I'll be proved wrong. Only time will tell. :laugh:

You would think that, but LEGO stuff right now is stupidly expensive to resell.  It seemed like 4-5 years ago you could typically find non-licensed stuff still NIB for close-ish to the original price (except for very old stuff, obviously), licensed stuff would end up a bit more expensive but if you were patient you could find deals easily enough.  Now, stuff like a City Cement Truck from 2014 or so is going for like $5-10 more than it's original price-and that's a used set!  Star Wars Microfighters, except for the ones with like battle droids, are $15-20 even for figures that aren't all that amazing.  I see people selling some of the clone battle packs for like $50-60 - and people actually buying those!  

Unless the market as a whole for LEGO crashes, I think it's going to be this way for a while.  Maybe 5-8 years ago was when people started to pay more for non-classic LEGO (when I say classic I mean like 70s-80s era stuff) and it seems like ever since, it's steadily gotten more and more crazy in terms of resellers figuring out that they can capitalize on stuff like this or the UCS Falcon and that subsequently forcing people to either pay those prices or probably never end up getting the set.

Now, as someone trying to get rid of parts of my collection, I don't necessarily mind it since I'm actually getting a bit of a return on my investment, but it sucks for those trying to buy old stuff.  

Edited by Kit Figsto

2 hours ago, avengers777 said:

You're not alone. I ordered mine a few minutes before 9am and it is still in the warehouse. It says that there are delays because of COVID on the order status page. So, let's hope they ship by Monday :grin:

Edit: Actually, after I posted this, mine shipped.

2 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

Mine hasn't shipped yet either. I ordered Luke's Landspeeder this morning though at like 1AM, and they've already sent shipment information.

Mine just shipped!

35 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I don't even think I'd say that, I haven't even caught so much as a whiff of it.

It's actually ridiculous.  In my area, which is a moderately sized US city, there are no Target or Walmart stores in a 40-50 mile range (no exaggeration there either, I've checked the store inventories on their website and not a single one near me has them or the AAT, the physical Lego store near me has neither, Target.com has the AAT for shipping but no 501st, Walmart.com doesn't have either, there's a Barnes and Noble 92 miles away that has the 501st set in stock and nowhere else in a 100 mile radius (and they're sold out of it to order), and Kohl's is sold out of both (actually I don't know if they're selling the AAT, it seems like they don't get the entire wave of sets in often, only part).

I haven't found a single one anywhere near chicagoland

34 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

You would think that, but LEGO stuff right now is stupidly expensive to resell.  It seemed like 4-5 years ago you could typically find non-licensed stuff still NIB for close-ish to the original price (except for very old stuff, obviously), licensed stuff would end up a bit more expensive but if you were patient you could find deals easily enough.  Now, stuff like a City Cement Truck from 2014 or so is going for like $5-10 more than it's original price-and that's a used set!  Star Wars Microfighters, except for the ones with like battle droids, are $15-20 even for figures that aren't all that amazing.  I see people selling some of the clone battle packs for like $50-60 - and people actually buying those!  

Unless the market as a whole for LEGO crashes, I think it's going to be this way for a while.  Maybe 5-8 years ago was when people started to pay more for non-classic LEGO (when I say classic I mean like 70s-80s era stuff) and it seems like ever since, it's steadily gotten more and more crazy in terms of resellers figuring out that they can capitalize on stuff like this or the UCS Falcon and that subsequently forcing people to either pay those prices or probably never end up getting the set.

Now, as someone trying to get rid of parts of my collection, I don't necessarily mind it since I'm actually getting a bit of a return on my investment, but it sucks for those trying to buy old stuff.  

You may be right, and only time will tell.

With this particular set I'm just leery. I just think that the clone wars era is limited to one age demographic. I'm more into the original trilogy, and my son is into the new stuff. The people who are buying dozens of this set seem to be the MandR age group that was born in the mid to late 90s through the early 2000s and grew up with star wars in the 2000s. Eventually these people will try and sell a bunch of the sets, thinking it is rare, and the market will be flooded with them. Kind of like the episode 1 figures were - over produced, over hyped, over bought, and now worthless.

Not saying you are wrong. In fact, you may be dead on... but I'm leery and will be skipping this set. Unless of course I find it on clearance! :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

And shipped about an hour ago.

1 hour ago, thorin said:

You may be right, and only time will tell.

With this particular set I'm just leery. I just think that the clone wars era is limited to one age demographic. I'm more into the original trilogy, and my son is into the new stuff. The people who are buying dozens of this set seem to be the MandR age group that was born in the mid to late 90s through the early 2000s and grew up with star wars in the 2000s. Eventually these people will try and sell a bunch of the sets, thinking it is rare, and the market will be flooded with them. Kind of like the episode 1 figures were - over produced, over hyped, over bought, and now worthless.

Not saying you are wrong. In fact, you may be dead on... but I'm leery and will be skipping this set. Unless of course I find it on clearance! :laugh_hard:

Yeah, there have certainly been many collectibles that fall into that same sort of trap like you said.  Now that I think of it, I think there is definitely a similar thought process between people buying this type of stuff and stuff like Beanie Babies, 90s trading cards, 90s action figures, etc - the "old" stuff is worth money, so this stuff must be too!  The problem is, the companies realized the demand was high, so they jacked production way up, so at the time some of the stuff was valuable, whereas now it's not really worth much more than what you originally paid for it.  

I think with LEGO, particularly SW, the old stuff will always have value.  2003 Cloud City, for example, is still going up and the supply of it is so limited to where that's never really going to come down.  Same deal with the original UCS Falcon (or, in all honesty, probably the current one too, just because it's so expensive, people can't really hoard it to resell later, so the quantity of them will be fairly limited), or sets like the original cantina, original gunship and turbo tank, all that sort of stuff, simply because the supply is so low.  Same with some of the original Clone Wars sets from 2008/09 - the supply isn't very high but demand is, so you get stupidly overpriced sets on eBay.  The difference here is supply will eventually be much, much higher than it is right now.

I think at some point the market for the non-licensed stuff will perhaps start to drop a bit, so you won't see stuff like a $20 City set from 2015 going for $50, and this definitely could be a case, like you say, of people speculating the market and it completely flopping. 

I mean, it's only been a month, and I've never seen a set this hard to find, but at some point or another, it'll be out there.  LEGO isn't like other collectibles where certain sets are particularly rare (like action figures, for example, where a store may only get 1-2 of a certain character and once that assortment is gone, it's gone for good), but I am curious to see what happens in 2 years when the hoarders have their 5000 clone army and don't need to buy any more.

Edited by Kit Figsto

I’m just gonna gush a bit about that little Leia hologram. My buddy ordered a few & gave me one. It’s really an impressive little mold. The folds on the bottom of the robe, the hood shape, & the hint of the buns is fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’m just gonna gush a bit about that little Leia hologram. My buddy ordered a few & gave me one. It’s really an impressive little mold. The folds on the bottom of the robe, the hood shape, & the hint of the buns is fantastic. 

The Obi Wan's hut one? Yes its fantastic. Is that repeated in the cantina or is the blue crystal genuinely just a blue crystal, thrown in so AFOLs can make a spice joke?

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

The Obi Wan's hut one? Yes its fantastic. Is that repeated in the cantina or is the blue crystal genuinely just a blue crystal, thrown in so AFOLs can make a spice joke?

Just a blue (kyber?) crystal

Went to my LEGO store today. Went in and asked if they had any Cantina sets in stock and they had one but it was on hold. They tried calling the person to see if they were coming to pick it up but they never picked up so they said I could buy it. They even had a Yoda’s lightsaber GWP to go with it. I’m very happy

9 hours ago, Redroe said:

According to Brickset, her hologram is only in the Hut set. I could see the designers throwing that in there for kicks. 

I bought the Cantina a couple of days ago, haven’t bought it yet, but my opinion of the minifigs is the following: 

4/5 in selection of the figures out of what one should expert. Lego did better than what could have been expected but for 5/5 they should have added three more new cantina patrons.

3/5 in exekution. One or two armprintings, definitely more legprintings. Has lego ever released this many figures without legprintings before?

I like all torsoprintings but think they could have introduced a few more new molded parts. My favourite is Ponda Baba, also liked Kardue'sai'Malloc and the recoulred tradoshan, but wished they recoloured the ithorian as well, new print for the jawa, better design for Evezan, bigger trunk for Garindan and a completely other solution for Kabe (molded head would have been the best).

3 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Has lego ever released this many figures without legprintings before?

Diagon Alley only had 1 pair of legs with printing on it and that was a reuse so I'd say the cantina did fairly well. The only significant improvements I'm really missing are the lack of dualmolded leg(s) for Han and 3PO

I got my order today, and Yoda's lightsaber comes in a really weird box. It's yellow, and the instruction manual is seen through a hole on the front. The parts all come in a Ziploc bag.

Edited by Gremer2

Hello,

For those interested, the Bespin Duel 75294 is now listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock" on all of the following Lego Shop sites:

Canada

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/bespin-duel-75294

https://www.lego.com/fr-ca/product/bespin-duel-75294

Mexico

https://www.lego.com/en-mx/product/bespin-duel-75294

https://www.lego.com/es-mx/product/bespin-duel-75294

United States

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bespin-duel-75294

It does not look like the set has made the migration anywhere outside of North America, but it does look like it may be back for a second wave of sales once manufacturing catches up.  At least that is what I can hope considering early last week it was showing up as "Sold Out"

For those in other locations, you may be able to still get a copy if you have connections in North America.

Cheers :)

4 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

I got my order today, and Yoda's lightsaber comes in a really weird box. It's yellow, and the instruction manual is seen through a hole on the front. The parts all come in a Ziploc bag.

Yeah, it’s the same style packaging that the 2x4 Red Brick GWP set came in a while back. Not sure why the change though.