MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I doubt that it works with the old hoodpiece, not that it's a neck attachment. Looking at the first few pictures we got it was already kind of obvious that it was going to be a neck piece :tongue:

I agree, I always suspected that’s exactly how it would work

A mixed wave for sure. The TIE Fighter and X Wing sound like they're going to be in between 4+ and regular scale I'm guessing? The microfighters have never really excited me to be honest but The Mandalorian set does have me interested though. 

2 hours ago, JekPorkchops said:

I miss years such as 2013-14. Wonderfully detailed sets that were expensive yet still reasonably priced. Prequel/CW sets galore. A sh*tton of new and exclusive minifigures and molds and new background characters. Even a nice OT wave to complement all of that in summer 2014.

I do agree here. LEGO seem to be dipping their toes in different types of sets and markets here. We had the action battle sets last year, we have the 4+ set(s), the Buildable helmets, the microfighters etc. I do miss the simplicity(?) If that's the right word, of the older lines. 

1 hour ago, doclord said:

Seems like it's time for AFOLs to predominantly check out of Star Wars sets unless they are helmets or $100+. The occasional strange set like the Mando one might be cool but this is clearly being divided into "AFOL Stuff" and "Kid stuff" with little inbetween.

Honestly I'm noticing this with other themes too and it's kind of concerning... Adults being targeted by expensive UCS sets or display pieces while the standard sets become dumbed down or less interesting. Look no further than Super Mario, which is entirely based around a gimmick for kids and in my opinion the set design suffers for it, yet Lego clearly knows there's adult interest when they release a $230 display model of an NES and TV.

I have a feeling there's dark times ahead for AFOLs...

5 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Honestly I'm noticing this with other themes too and it's kind of concerning... Adults being targeted by expensive UCS sets or display pieces while the standard sets become dumbed down or less interesting. Look no further than Super Mario, which is entirely based around a gimmick for kids and in my opinion the set design suffers for it, yet Lego clearly knows there's adult interest when they release a $230 display model of an NES and TV.

Yeah, it looks like we're getting very good $120+ sets at the expense of the rest being pretty bad or juvenile (even for kids, who deserve better).

Edited by doclord

On 9/6/2020 at 1:32 PM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

If it’s a good enough update (which the AT-AT, Grievous Ship, and Jedi Interceptor all are IMO) then I’ll get them even if I already have previous versions.

On the one hand I feel a little guilty to be digging this subject up after a week when everyone's paying attention to the cantina, but on the other hand the Grievous fighter is really terrible this time around. It's not really that good an update to the old one (or even to the original). Sure, the original was a bit bare-bones but it (and the 2010 version) share key design cues with the new release (the forward cones & the curved bricks at the front in the middle) to the extent that the new ship isn't really substantially better than the old one and has a much-inflated price to boot. Not to mention it's hardly got any more pieces than the previous release.

The original wasn't perfect but it did cost just $20 in America at the time. That was good value to me even as a young teen, and I couldn't possibly countenance spending £75 on the new version these days. Honestly the 5+ sets are starting to catch my eye a little now instead.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

This is always going to be kind of a rough comparison, too, though, because the 2014 cantina was a really unusually good set. 8 minifigures, plus the dewback, in a set of that size is fantastic no matter how you slice it, especially since seven of the eight figures were new and the Bith had the new head mold.

Back to the topic at hand, this is very true and I'm sorry I missed out on it at the time!

Just watched Ash and J2G videos and i am absolutely disgusted by LEGO with next years star wars sets,0 prequel sets,0 clone wars sets,again all helmets ot and only 1 mandalorian set and instead of razor crest or anything new they are releasing third millennium falcon in micro fighter form? Only set i would get that isnt prequel is Imperial Shuttle and that thing will be scaled down to make it 80$,how can they do it? is it a huge endor battle pack with tiny shuttle build? Its 10 $ less than Imperial landing craft in 2018. I could rant for 30 pages. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined. Just having a good 15$ battle pack like mauls mandalorian would make entire wave better and they had to remove them too. I wish LEGO Star Wars had as talented and as thoughtful designers and team involved like Harry Potter theme does.

People here seem to be dooming and glooming rather quickly.  I won't make any judgements till the time is nearer and we have pictures, there are always a few sets that fly under the radar (like the throne room and the Baby Yoda from this most recent wave) that and I'm still expecting battlepacks, just later in the year perhaps. 

The one person ships had been getting too big and expensive anyway, they can now give that price point to ships and locations that deserve it. 

All that said I do hope they aren't trying to make this wave more 'kiddish'. Kids like the normal sets as do Adults, and for anything more simple they still have 4+. I do find it somewhat crazy that when lego realised that a lot of star wars sets sell to adults that they tried to change them, we already like what they had. Now nothing against the Art and the Helmets (which I know are both also trying to attract non lego buying adults) but if system sets are what brought people here then they should remember that.

19 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I do agree here. LEGO seem to be dipping their toes in different types of sets and markets here. We had the action battle sets last year, we have the 4+ set(s), the Buildable helmets, the microfighters etc. I do miss the simplicity(?) If that's the right word, of the older lines. 

I get what you mean. The sets certainly weren't simple as I find the 2013-14 period peaked design- and value-wise but the lineup was simpler. There were just great system sets that both kids and adults would want to have. The remakes were usually much better than before, including the minifigures. They also used to throw in extra figures that were obscure or did not even belong in the scene to entice adults more.

Like others have said, now it seems like if you're an adult you have to buy a Helmet set or some kind of expensive D2C set. If you're a kid you can have lackluster system sets that are always about the same subject.

Don't get me wrong, I too was thinking lately that LSW has gotten quite expensive when you're a kid. €100 for a one-person starfighter is not cheap. But they can remake the OT stuff in the new style in a couple of years from now. I have the feeling Lego has made the same stuff every 2 years now, when in the past they remade sets every 3-5 years.

Ok, I don’t wanna artificially get anyone’s hopes up, but...

Have we considered the Mandalorian hero could be Ashoka? (And Rex maybe, though he’s unconfirmed for the series?)

Also, the promobricks article said the TIE would be closer to the Rebels depiction of the vehicle. What if it included Rebels figures? Totally wishful thinking, but 3 figures seems like a little excess for that small of a TIE...

24 minutes ago, FeepoGerbin said:

Ok, I don’t wanna artificially get anyone’s hopes up, but...

Have we considered the Mandalorian hero could be Ashoka? (And Rex maybe, though he’s unconfirmed for the series?)

Also, the promobricks article said the TIE would be closer to the Rebels depiction of the vehicle. What if it included Rebels figures? Totally wishful thinking, but 3 figures seems like a little excess for that small of a TIE...

"Mandalorian hero vehicle" is a generic term. It means that the set is based on The Mandalorian, and features a vehicle of some sort ridden or driven by a "hero". I highly doubt the "hero" included in the set will be anybody other than The Mandalorian.

1 hour ago, FeepoGerbin said:

That has surprised me a bit when I have read it. I think it would be unfortunate, because to me the Rebels' TIE is way out of proportions. It's ok to have a new design with smaller wings, like the Rebels' TIE Advanced prototype (seen in set 75082), or the slightly smaller TIE advanced of set 75150, but the classical TIE should have the proportions reasonably right as the previous ones, even if smaller like the 75250. On the minifigs, for that price it could even be just two.

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Agreed. I’ve been there since the very beginning and this is the first time I’ve been disappointed in a wave :sad: No battle packs, mostly redesigned microfighters and only one set based on new content. Not even the minifigs can save this wave because they will most likely either be repeats or slightly modified versions. 

Next summer has to be better than this! ...can’t wait for the inevitable Snowspeeder, Luke’s Landspeeder and A-Wing :laugh_hard:

I feel you there. I’ve been seriously collecting Lego SW for a year now as a recent university graduate, and have always been hopeful that older sets from the golden years like the earlier half of this decade would get remade at this point. It’s ironic that despite the boom in new SW content (Mandalorian, Clone Wars, etc.), Lego are becoming more and more risk-averse. The OT’s appeal is certainly timeless, but SW has grown so much since then.

It’s easy to forget Lego is a children’s toy when the generally fantastic execution of System sets, mini-figures, and the overall building experience transcends age groups. This rising trend in dichotomising “adult” and “children’s” Lego strikes me as going against the essence of that. I think it’s also important to remember that the time between Lego seeing a certain subset of Star Wars sets selling significantly well (such as this summer’s Clone Wars sets!) and taking action on it would be very long indeed. Whilst I have my fingers crossed for at least one or two good summer sets next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if we were hit with another Millennium Falcon. 

With regards to the UCS Republic Gunship, surely it is impossible to be at minifigure scale? The 2008/2013 iterations already hit that mark as System sets. The UCS will almost certainly be at a far larger scale.

While I agree these choices are rather uninspired, I am actually quite excited to see this TIE. 

I was lucky enough to snag the 2018 X-wing for £25 (minus Biggs :sad:) but I refused to pay the asking price for the TIE Fighter and the eBay prices are ridiculous.

Plus, realistically, how much detail does a TIE Fighter actually need?

For everyone who already has these sets though, this wave is a bit of a let down. 

But maybe now LEGO is getting the classic remakes out of the way early in the year, subsequent waves may have something a bit more interesting in store? Only time will tell I suppose. 

Edited by SEmrys

On 9/11/2020 at 11:49 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

This seems about right, although I'd be seriously annoyed if there's another UCS TIE interceptor before a new system one.

That's the problem, lego's in a no-win situation here. Sure, the "jabba's palace looks vaguely like a mosque"  controversy is a really stupid line of attack, but people have been losing their jobs over a lot less, so lego might not want to risk any bad press. The problem with Oola makes more sense to me, as she's pretty much nude, but she's as essential to a jabba set. I still think slave leia won't be a problem at all if they call it "huttslayer" instead like disney rebranded it as. The problem is, lego risks bad press (of course unwarranted bad press, but bad press nonetheless) if they do these things, and varying degrees of fan outrage if they don't. If we ever get a new jabba set, my money's on it containing huttslayer leia but not oola.

I don't think they'd have two tatooine MBS sets in a row anyway, it's more likely the next will be endor themed IMO. Bunker, some of the ewok village, at-st and glider. They could even do the log-smash trap!

That or geonosian arena. I think lego is about to move  out of their OT comfty zone 

20 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Surely we will never get another Jabba's palace because of the controversy revolving aorund the 2012 set

Never heard about it on this side of the World, dont forget Lego is a danish company not a US, danes aren’t sensitive to alot of stuff, these people are allowed to get drunk on lunch brakes

Edited by Sneakguest

I was expecting to be disappointed, but not to this degree. I'm only interested in the Lambda-Class Shuttle (if the scale isn't too small and the level of detail is passable), the Mandalorian set (depending on what it is), and the AT-AT and Tauntaun Microfighters (if the Tauntaun build is good). Other than that, not much in this wave stands out. I commend Lego for trying to make Star Wars sets more accessible, but I'm slightly concerned about the results. All they had to do was drop the prices of what they were making $10 or $20 (or less in some cases), which would have reasonably priced most of the recent sets, but maybe that wasn't possible. I'm curious to see how these cheapened sets turn out, but I don't have high hopes.

It's also kind of baffling that they chose to remake the same two vehicles that we've seen almost every year since Disney acquired Star Wars without fail (X-Wings and TIEs of various kinds), with the choice to release two X-Wings in the same wave at different price points being even stranger.

No battle packs is also disappointing, but not unexpected. Fingers crossed we'll see some later in 2021.

Lastly, I don't understand why Lego hasn't taken advantage of the new content that has come out this year (Mandalorian and CW). Sure, we'll get a Mando set supposedly, but they could have done a lot more with the new material than what it seems like they have for 2021 so far. I get that Lego is probably playing it safe by releasing a bunch of OT stuff. Most Star Wars fans like the OT, but if they only put out the same OT vehicles every single year and push out other sets in the process, I'm not optimistic about the future of Lego Star Wars. If this keeps up, I might pull back from buying new sets for a while.

I'm actually a bit excited to see the new TIE and X-Wing sets. I've been rebuilding my childhood Star Wars sets over the summer and while I had a lot of cool things like the 2007 MTT and 2002 Slave 1 I was a bit disappointed when I realized I didn't own an X-Wing or standard TIE so I have been in the market to buy them. 

I think streamlining and reducing the cost for X-Wings and TIEs is a good move. Over the years as the play scale versions have gotten more detailed and complex they've understandably increased in price making them more challenging for kids to obtain then they should be. It's also good for afols/collectors as it leaves room for more expensive sets to be based on things that wouldn't have been made otherwise. 

4 hours ago, doclord said:

Seems like it's time for AFOLs to predominantly check out of Star Wars sets unless they are helmets or $100+. The occasional strange set like the Mando one might be cool but this is clearly being divided into "AFOL Stuff" and "Kid stuff" with little inbetween.

Hasn't it always been the case? You are either an AFOL or a kid or both. What's in between??

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I think this is very promising and applaud this move. Many AFOLs have been saying that they have been struggling to keep up with the 3 waves per year and that most of the stuff releassed in those waves was fodder. Lego was gradually pricing out many fans fromt he SW theme. Prices have been getting extreme.

Personally, I primarily collect the Lego SW minifigures and the UCS sets as well as some sets in between. The dumbing down of the sets in intricacy and price means that I will be able to continue to collect all the minifigures without beign heavily penalised financially. And I can continue to buy the UCS and other major sets regularly.

The lower prices come also at a perfect time considering that the world is gradually entering recession. I think it is a forward looking move from Lego.

On that note I am particularly happy with the Cantina UCS set. Beautifully detailed, Excellent pricing and Lego has finally given us so many new minifigures in one set.

16 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

Is there any validity to the CMF rumor? I thought there was little to no chance of a Star Wars series ever happening.

Apparently Hasbro and Lego changed their Star Wars licence slightly this year but there is no official confirmation that lego star wars CMF is allowed now or coming.

2020 was honestly one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in a long time, 2021 sounds like a breath of fresh air.

No battlepack in this wave is fine, LEGO as a company isn’t stupid enough to get rid of those. They’ll be back eventually. Microfighters sound good as always, I’m sure the taun taun will turn out to be one of the best models of the year much like the dewback and bantha. Another Falcon is fine, it’ll give kids a chance to get Han. Hopefully they mean the Solo version of Han with his brown jacket so the price of the figure comes down. Couldn’t care less about the 4+ x wing but hopefully the gaps in the sides of cockpit are filled in this time and the ship looks complete. Intrigued by the mando set just like everyone else here. 

The helmets and the statue are bound to be good, only time will tell what sets we get from these. Fingers crossed for Vader’s helmet. 

I’ve been saying for years that LEGO needs to downsize the sets like TIE Fighters and X-Wings. They’d sell so much better than they do now if they weren’t $100+ each. Builds like the Slave I from Cloud City and the TIE Advanced from Vader’s castle are perfect for what they are (and quite honestly should be their own sets), so if the X-Wing, TIE and Shuttle are anything like these models then they’ll be golden. Probably won’t be buying them as I already have x-wings and TIEs (and am only interested in a UCS shuttle) but it’s great that kids will finally have these iconic ships at an affordable price point. Very interested to see how the sets turn out.

Everyone here needs to stop complaining about rereleases and remember that we’re not the target audience for these sets. It happens every wave. Grow up and be thankful that you’ll be saving yourself some money. Now that I know I won’t want to buy a lot of next year’s sets I might actually get the cantina this year. 

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I doubt that it works with the old hoodpiece, not that it's a neck attachment. Looking at the first few pictures we got it was already kind of obvious that it was going to be a neck piece :tongue:

Oh, sorry I misunderstood.

4 hours ago, KingSpoozle said:

Do you think, then, that there were battle packs created for this wave that were then scrapped after the success of the 501st battle pack?

No. Lego plans these sets very far in advance, they wouldn't drop two sets from the schedule just a few months out due to good sales of a related set.

Just now, Brikkyy13 said:

2020 was honestly one of the worst years for LEGO Star Wars in a long time, 2021 sounds like a breath of fresh air.

No battlepack in this wave is fine, LEGO as a company isn’t stupid enough to get rid of those. They’ll be back eventually. Microfighters sound good as always, I’m sure the taun taun will turn out to be one of the best models of the year much like the dewback and bantha. Another Falcon is fine, it’ll give kids a chance to get Han. Hopefully they mean the Solo version of Han with his brown jacket so the price of the figure comes down. Couldn’t care less about the 4+ x wing but hopefully the gaps in the sides of cockpit are filled in this time and the ship looks complete. Intrigued by the mando set just like everyone else here. 

The helmets and the statue are bound to be good, only time will tell what sets we get from these. Fingers crossed for Vader’s helmet. 

I’ve been saying for years that LEGO needs to downsize the sets like TIE Fighters and X-Wings. They’d sell so much better than they do now if they weren’t $100+ each. Builds like the Slave I from Cloud City and the TIE Advanced from Vader’s castle are perfect for what they are (and quite honestly should be their own sets), so if the X-Wing, TIE and Shuttle are anything like these models then they’ll be golden. Probably won’t be buying them as I already have x-wings and TIEs (and am only interested in a UCS shuttle) but it’s great that kids will finally have these iconic ships at an affordable price point. Very interested to see how the sets turn out.

Everyone here needs to stop complaining about rereleases and remember that we’re not the target audience for these sets. It happens every wave. Grow up and be thankful that you’ll be saving yourself some money. Now that I know I won’t want to buy a lot of next year’s sets I might actually get the cantina this year. 

Is that...positivity? From a lego fan, about something besides a clone wars set? (insert thanos "impossible" qoute here):laugh:

I have to be honest I've got to agree with you on all points here. microfighters are fine, and of course another creature microfighter, which like you said have been great so far. We can't really complain about the mando set since we don't know anything. The main complaint here seems to be the lack of prequel sets and the re-releases of the x-wing and TIE. As for the prequel sets, lego's been cautious on those, and there's absolutely no way that they could change the 2021 1hy sets based on 2020 2hy sales. Can we stop this "lego hates the prequels and clone wars" thing, at least until enough time passes for lego to make sets based on the recent sales? C'mon, guys!

I'm actually really interested to see the new cheaper versions of iconic vehicles. Lamba is odd but it has been awhile, and the X-wing and TIE are the two most iconic star wars vehicles ever so it makes sense that they're first in this new concept of lego's. I think this is great for kids, as they'll be able to get iconic vehicles without breaking the bank.

So we're supposed to get 3 helmets, one of which is cheaper than the others, and a probe droid statue. Probe droid statue is a great idea and I can't believe we didn't have one earlier, it just lends itself so well to a statue. The helmets I've heard rumored are a scout trooper and maybe vader? It'll be interesting to see what they end up being.

When I see the rumor list for each Star Wars wave there are always sets that I think, "why you they choose that" or "that's awful". 2014 is the earliest rumor list I remember reading and I don't think there has been a rumor list where I was disappointed in every single set that was listed. Every set on the 2021 list imo is extremely under whelming and disappointing. I guess Star Wars being on the "best selling themes" consistently means we don't get the best the lego designers have to offer. 

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

Hasn't it always been the case? You are either an AFOL or a kid or both. What's in between??

I think this is very promising and applaud this move. Many AFOLs have been saying that they have been struggling to keep up with the 3 waves per year and that most of the stuff releassed in those waves was fodder. Lego was gradually pricing out many fans fromt he SW theme. Prices have been getting extreme.

Personally, I primarily collect the Lego SW minifigures and the UCS sets as well as some sets in between. The dumbing down of the sets in intricacy and price means that I will be able to continue to collect all the minifigures without beign heavily penalised financially. And I can continue to buy the UCS and other major sets regularly.

The lower prices come also at a perfect time considering that the world is gradually entering recession. I think it is a forward looking move from Lego.

On that note I am particularly happy with the Cantina UCS set. Beautifully detailed, Excellent pricing and Lego has finally given us so many new minifigures in one set.

I feel like I should mention that I don't necessarily think less detailed and cheaper ships like this are part of the dumbing down I mentioned (at least in theory, we'll see how Lego pulls them off). I'm actually excited to see the smaller TIE, and I'm in agreement that the prices have been getting way too high way too fast. I don't think the dumbing down of sets has hit Star Wars yet, but it's something I've noticed in other themes and worry that they may be sacrificing a bit too much set quality to focus on targeting adults with display pieces.