MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

47 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

BTW, what are the chances the TIE fighter comes with Moff Gideon and the Darksaber? That would definitely be worth it! 

I dont think they could make his TIE at that price without massively underscaling it some extent. The thing was pretty large and given the special wing functions I think that would require a higher piece count. I wouldn’t hold your breath

9 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

We also don't know if that's the Gunship anyway.  The vote was in like last February, and I seem to remember an interview with designers saying that they didn't have prototypes or anything mocked up yet prior to the vote.  11 months seems like a really quick turnaround time for them to develop a set that big and get it mass-produced.  

I have to think they can design a new set in a few months with a single dedicated designed.  Its their full-time job, and they are professionals with unlimited access to parts.  

Blah. Holy underwhelming. Jdubbs described it perfectly.

Like, I’m not mad about anything I see here. I’m actually VERY excited about a more affordable Mando set. I’m also very excited to see how they do the TIE and XWing at a more affordable build/scale. I actually said a while back in the thread that I think the single-seat fighters have gotten way too expensive. $40-$50 seems much more reasonable if not perfect. Might get them if they look alright.

But not a clone trooper in sight? Right after they were restyled?? Gah :((( I was really hoping to see a Wolfpack, coruscant security, new Obi Wan’s legion (blanking on the number right now sorry)... very disappointed that they didn’t even throw us a bone with a restylized P2 shiny.

Edited by FeepoGerbin

I miss years such as 2013-14. Wonderfully detailed sets that were expensive yet still reasonably priced. Prequel/CW sets galore. A sh*tton of new and exclusive minifigures and molds and new background characters. Even a nice OT wave to complement all of that in summer 2014.

I guess the SW line isn't selling as wel as it did (regardless of its appearance in the top selling themes) but they need to stop reinventing/rebooting the line every two years. I'm tired of the X-wings, TIEs, Snowspeeders and pilot/Tatooine Luke figures. We have a wonderful current show in The Mandalorian and some of the best received SW content ever in TCW and this is all they have to offer?

13 minutes ago, Ultron said:

What a garbage line up..maybe some of the builds will turn out alright, but I can’t for the life of me understand why they refuse to make prequel and clone wars sets especially given how well the two CW ones we got this wave have sold so far. Very tired of the OT; we dont need anymore X-Wings or Ties..I’ll likely pass on all this except for perhaps the Mandalorian set. 

Considering the development time for sets it's incredibly unreasonable to expect they would've had the time to adjust a lineup based on the reaction to the Clone Wars sets that came out a month ago. It would be AT LEAST next fall before we would see any kind of response to that, if any. I too want more Clone Wars and prequel sets but it's not terribly surprising that there aren't any this wave. 

I am incredibly disappointed with no prequel or clone wars sets besides the possibility of the gunship, not to mention not getting any battlepacks. Saves me for money for 501st sets tho ;)

Despite that I am very interested in these cheaper versions of vehicles from the OT and I can’t wait to see a picture of them. I think these kind of cheaper sets are the right direction to go in, as someone described they could be similar to the style of 2008 Star Wars sets.

Are we really crying out for loads of Mando sets? I don't see much potential, or real attraction. Obvious candidates: Razor Crest and TIE Outlander (the Big Two). A Mando battle pack they've done. Going through the series in order: Kuill and a blurg, yes. Red eyed Jawas? Well. Bounty hunters and generic redshirts we have. At St raider they've done. Speeder Bikes? Some kind of prison break set? The final two eps are covered by the Razor Crest. Yes we could get some Death Troopers, a Client and Gideon but other than the TIE, I can't see a desirable set being made from the surrounding source.

I think the bounty-of-the-week format of the show works against Mando sets. The one off characters don't demand minifigs in the same way recurring ones do (see Rebels sets). Hopefully, with what we've heard of season 2, there will be some expansion and escalation which yields more sets.

Kind of a meh wave but at least it's good for my wallet. The new downscaled X-Wing and TIE should be interesting to see but so far the Mandalorian set is the only one that manages to get my interest. The Falcon MF is an instant purchase if the ''brown jacket Han'' refers to the one from the Kessul Run Falcon. 

There are some hands on pics of the Cantina in a place. Imperial Spy is like a facial facade that connects under the neck like the lower half of Vader's helmet. I like it, I want to see if it can integrate with the old hood piece.

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

There are some hands on pics of the Cantina in a place. Imperial Spy is like a facial facade that connects under the neck like the lower half of Vader's helmet. I like it, I want to see if it can integrate with the old hood piece.

Doubt it

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

Yep. Would expect a Solo Falcon. Any suggestion what the other MF would be from Solo? They come in pairs. No more. No less.

Surprisingly, they've never actually done the standard Imperial TIE, so I'm betting on that.

Seems like it's time for AFOLs to predominantly check out of Star Wars sets unless they are helmets or $100+. The occasional strange set like the Mando one might be cool but this is clearly being divided into "AFOL Stuff" and "Kid stuff" with little inbetween.

Edited by doclord

I'm actually OK with how this wave sounds. It will depend on how they end up looking of course, but it sounds like a sensible way of doing things - cheaper sets for kids and figures, one or two more expensive system sets, plus UCS and MBS sets. I realise not everyone thinks this way but if I want properly detailed and scaled system Star Wars stuff, I'll just MOC it.

I'm surprisingly excited by the Scout Trooper helmet rumour though. I think the helmets are great little desk-warmers and the Scout Trooper has a really interesting design. Looking forward to seeing how that will turn out.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I honestly just want more Mandalorian sets, I hope the $30 hero vehicle isn’t the only one. There are so many figures we need

Same. Speeder bikes could work as a small $20-ish set, Kuil's hut with him, mando and a jawa would be great, gideon's tie of course, maybe alongside a side build of the cantina, some sort of escape from navarro set with paz vizla, maybe something with the bounty hunters for episode 6, the list goes on.

46 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Doubt it

I mean, it's true... the images are there. I like that idea, makes it sort of a plague-doctor mask almost.

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

Considering the development time for sets it's incredibly unreasonable to expect they would've had the time to adjust a lineup based on the reaction to the Clone Wars sets that came out a month ago. It would be AT LEAST next fall before we would see any kind of response to that, if any. I too want more Clone Wars and prequel sets but it's not terribly surprising that there aren't any this wave. 

Do you think, then, that there were battle packs created for this wave that were then scrapped after the success of the 501st battle pack?

This whole wave is painfully underwhelming, both in size and scale. The lack of battle packs and limited content (mostly OT with Mando and ST thrown in) makes this seem like either Lego have lost the plot, or SW sales have dropped to the point where they just don't care about it anymore, which can't be true as it was in the top 6 best selling themes (see https://images.brickset.com/news/53604_Info.jpg) in 1HY 2020. Or Disney conspiracy theories. Or something else ridiculous. I'm just feeling a bit disappointed, as it seems like the passion for SW sets from Lego has just gone with this wave. Nothing brand new except the Mando set, and that probably won't even have the Beskar version. The reduced numbers don't make sense either - I mean, most years haven't gotten more than 10 a wave plus microfighters, UCS and other stuff (helmets, statues, etc), but five regular system minifigure-scale sets, really? All but one of which are remakes of some kind?

With the massive realms of content to choose from, and sales being what they are, and demand being what it is, I cannot reasonably fathom what went through Lego's mind when they came up with this wave. <sigh> 

The previous Imperial Shuttle was $100 unless I’m mistaken. If this one is only $70, it probably really sucks and is scaled down a lot. It sounds like most of the sets must be scaled down to bring cost down which will make me rapidly lose interest

I'm just surprised they're making a "kid friendly" Imperial Shuttle. I can understand making more affordable X-Wings and TIEs because they're iconic, but is any kid out there clamoring for the shuttle?

8 minutes ago, furiothecat said:

This whole wave is painfully underwhelming, both in size and scale. The lack of battle packs and limited content (mostly OT with Mando and ST thrown in) makes this seem like either Lego have lost the plot, or SW sales have dropped to the point where they just don't care about it anymore, which can't be true as it was in the top 6 best selling themes (see https://images.brickset.com/news/53604_Info.jpg) in 1HY 2020. Or Disney conspiracy theories. Or something else ridiculous. I'm just feeling a bit disappointed, as it seems like the passion for SW sets from Lego has just gone with this wave. Nothing brand new except the Mando set, and that probably won't even have the Beskar version. The reduced numbers don't make sense either - I mean, most years haven't gotten more than 10 a wave plus microfighters, UCS and other stuff (helmets, statues, etc), but five regular system minifigure-scale sets, really? All but one of which are remakes of some kind?

With the massive realms of content to choose from, and sales being what they are, and demand being what it is, I cannot reasonably fathom what went through Lego's mind when they came up with this wave. <sigh> 

I think they just don't really care about making any really good builds that won't net them less than $100 per sale.

1 hour ago, JekPorkchops said:

I miss years such as 2013-14. Wonderfully detailed sets that were expensive yet still reasonably priced. Prequel/CW sets galore. A sh*tton of new and exclusive minifigures and molds and new background characters. Even a nice OT wave to complement all of that in summer 2014.

I guess the SW line isn't selling as wel as it did (regardless of its appearance in the top selling themes) but they need to stop reinventing/rebooting the line every two years. I'm tired of the X-wings, TIEs, Snowspeeders and pilot/Tatooine Luke figures. We have a wonderful current show in The Mandalorian and some of the best received SW content ever in TCW and this is all they have to offer?

Yes, those were the years of the Jabba Palace, the Sailbarge and the Rancor Pit, they were overpriced but with many new and better more accurate molds. With all of them you could create a MBS for with about the same price. But you didn't have to pay for all of them if you didn't like one of the sets.

OTOH, strange thing those low-priced TIE/X-Wing which would lead to low-pieces sets. Don't know what would be the sets designs. It could be smaller, to be able to play better with the system MFs. The current ones, although more accurate, they are a bit big for smaller children to play with. But we have to see if they are worth.

Bad news not having battle packs, so no Cantina battle pack in the works I guess... :sceptic:

Edited by dvogon

Could the lack of battle packs for 2021 be justified by a CMF? Is that rumor something possible, or is it just pure speculation?

5 minutes ago, KingSpoozle said:

Do you think, then, that there were battle packs created for this wave that were then scrapped after the success of the 501st battle pack?

where are you getting this hypothesis, we've got no real indicators that battle packs were scrapped so...

personally would be fine to see these sets go down in price if they're decent models and more worth the p:p; iirc the 2012 tie was an ideal $40 model but priced at $50, but this one might just be a $30-value tie if anything. 

haven't bought a star wars set in forever but with the semi-cheaper sets it feels like they're trying to return to an earlier era where sets were at least reasonably priced; loved the last x wing and the last pure tie was alright but both were $20 overpriced for their content. an $80 tyderium makes sense even if the last one was huge.

hoping if anything that this is an indicator that the summer wave is going to be huge in contrast to the winter wave; the last time i remember that was in 2011 when i was 10 and saw the full product release for the summer (even if they were mostly ep 1) after getting my first set in the BARC battle pack

8 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Could the lack of battle packs for 2021 be justified by a CMF? Is that rumor something possible, or is it just pure speculation?

Even if that was coming, I doubt it. Most licensed CMFs just arent made to be army builders of any kind, imo, given the selection 

22 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Pure speculation at this point. The big grain of salt I would put here is that we don't know we're not getting battle packs in 2021 - only that none of the 1HY sets are battlepacks. They could still show up in summer.

26 minutes ago, doclord said:

I think they just don't really care about making any really good builds that won't net them less than $100 per sale.

I don't know what LEGO's profit margins are like but I would be willing to bet they have never made $100 per sale from a single set.

Another thing I've noticed - the set numbers seem to cover 75295 through 75307, but 75296 is missing. Is it possible we could see another surprise release like the 501st set?

EDIT - never mind, was looking at the list that Landino shared which had two sets missing off it for some reason, not the PromoBricks one.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

32 minutes ago, KingSpoozle said:

The 1H 2021 set list (which included no battle packs) was circulating well in advance of the release of the 501st set. (Not to mention the fact that we know the 2021 set numbers were already assigned a year ago, when the Mando Brickhead and Child statue were added.) So, no.

Edited by jdubbs

38 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, it's true... the images are there. I like that idea, makes it sort of a plague-doctor mask almost.

I doubt that it works with the old hoodpiece, not that it's a neck attachment. Looking at the first few pictures we got it was already kind of obvious that it was going to be a neck piece :tongue: