MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

20 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Welcome! Way back in 2000, they released four packs containing three minifigs each, with a few extra pieces to build bases for them. The only other time I'm aware of was the Force Awakens C-3PO polybag back in 2015, which was sold at Toys R Us.

The first order general, too.

Surely we will never get another Jabba's palace because of the controversy revolving aorund the 2012 set

52 minutes ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Surely we will never get another Jabba's palace because of the controversy revolving aorund the 2012 set

what was the issue with it?

30 minutes ago, DEAD1974 said:

what was the issue with it?

A group complained that it bore an offensive resemblance to the haga sophia. It kind of coincided with lego retiring it which led many to assume they were cause and effect, but I think TLG released a statement saying it was poppycock but sorry for upsetting people. Leaves them with a slight problem as it was a fairly accurate representataion of the source material so if they were to do another, the mosque thing would be large in everyone's minds. Relatively recently Hasbro also got into murky waters over a black series slave Leia, I think specifically due to the chain round her neck (understandably) which might also scare tlg off.

4 hours ago, LarryBoy said:

Long time lurker here, so first of all hello everyone.

About that Obi-Wan 20th Anniversary figure on sale; is this the first time TLG has ever had a Star Wars minifigure on sale and not as part of a special event or exclusive? Because on TLG's own website, they specifically say that they're unable to sell licensed minifigures as standalone products outside of a set - with Star Wars listed as an example. Yet, the listing for the Obi-Wan figure is titled "Obi-Wan Kenobi™ minifigure"

So am I missing something here or has LEGO officially started selling Star Wars minifigures now?

This was a promo back in December/January that they were running until it sold out, I think it was "Spend $40 (or equivalent in other countries) on Star Wars and get the promo" and I'm assuming they had a lot of extra stock due to the pandemic and such resulting in people not shopping as much, so they're offloading extra stock.  I would bet that this is just a one-time thing for now, there are thoughts (not sure if these are rumors or just people wishful thinking) that they could do a CMF series if the Hasbro license were to change from giving hem exclusive rights to produce figures, but until something ever comes, I'd assume that's not going to happen.

A MBS battle of Endor, like a redone 2009 battle of Endor would be excellent provided they didn't "do a Hoth" on it.

For my money, Hoth wasn't all that bad, it just wasn't anything like UcS quality as it was marketed and included a grave imbalance of Rebel stuff to Imperial stuff.

Less of a problem with Endor as it has more, smaller, includable stuff. If they had the bunker and a couple of Ewok treehouses it would be a neat balance.

6 hours ago, legolandia said:

Why? What's the rush?

Some people have been unable to get hold of the set. I'm just informing those that would like a copy it was back in stock.

4 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

The only other time I'm aware of was the Force Awakens C-3PO polybag back in 2015, which was sold at Toys R Us.

I managed to pick up the red a-wing pilot polybag years ago from the Lego store. From a different shop I got several shore troopers and the brown R2 (I've forgotten the specific version, the trans coloured head in rogue one) polybags.

does anyone noticed that the Cantina set disappeared from the Lego shop? OH, ok its back...

Edited by DEAD1974

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The first order general, too.

Gosh those packs were good. I remember getting two from Legoland Windsor: Chewie and two Scout troopers, and Fett, Han and Luke. There was a Sith one as well which for the life of me I can't understand why I didn't make my parents' life hell to get as well. Imagine if TLG did a similar thing now? The country would melt down.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

This was a promo back in December/January that they were running until it sold out, I think it was "Spend $40 (or equivalent in other countries) on Star Wars and get the promo" and I'm assuming they had a lot of extra stock due to the pandemic and such resulting in people not shopping as much, so they're offloading extra stock.  I would bet that this is just a one-time thing for now, there are thoughts (not sure if these are rumors or just people wishful thinking) that they could do a CMF series if the Hasbro license were to change from giving hem exclusive rights to produce figures, but until something ever comes, I'd assume that's not going to happen.

Yeah, I’ve got one of the Obi-Wan polybags from that promo. I just didn’t remember LEGO selling any Star Wars minifigures on their own, promo or otherwise. They were always packaged as a GWP or an exclusive for Star Wars Celebration or some other event. That was my thinking anyways, but it’s interesting to know that they’ve sold these polybags on their own in the past.

I did have that Hasbro agreement and CMF wishlist/rumour in mind when I asked about this too. Because I had assumed this kind of thing would be in violation of Hasbro’s exclusivity on Star Wars “action figures” but I know there was a lot of talk about whether that exclusivity deal had expired recently and not been renewed. So fingers crossed we see more of this kind of thing in the future, if LEGO is able to do so. And at least it’s an easy and cheap way for anyone still looking to complete their 20th anniversary collection.

8 hours ago, Redroe said:

A group complained that it bore an offensive resemblance to the haga sophia. It kind of coincided with lego retiring it which led many to assume they were cause and effect, but I think TLG released a statement saying it was poppycock but sorry for upsetting people. Leaves them with a slight problem as it was a fairly accurate representataion of the source material so if they were to do another, the mosque thing would be large in everyone's minds. Relatively recently Hasbro also got into murky waters over a black series slave Leia, I think specifically due to the chain round her neck (understandably) which might also scare tlg off.

When the set was released it wasn’t even classified as a mosque then, it was a museum so the religious excuse is such a sham. Hagía Sofia only became a mosque earlier this year. That’s like calling the Taj Mahal racist because it resembles Indian architecture when it’s just being accurate to its source which drew on middle eastern influences. Turkey only cites Hagía Sofia as a mosque when it wants to feel faux offended, when they want to offend others like the Greeks, or when they pride themselves on their checkered past of genocide.
Really aggravates me that weren’t not going to see a Jabba’s Palace set because of this. I just want to see my favorite scene in Lego again.

Edited by RODDY

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'd been keeping this promo sealed in the hopes it would become valuable someday... time to open it up, i guess. :laugh:

6 hours ago, Redroe said:

Gosh those packs were good. I remember getting two from Legoland Windsor: Chewie and two Scout troopers, and Fett, Han and Luke. There was a Sith one as well which for the life of me I can't understand why I didn't make my parents' life hell to get as well. Imagine if TLG did a similar thing now? The country would melt down.

Those were before my time, but when I saw those in the visual dictionary as a kid I was completely unable to understand why they didn't make more of those. This was around the time that they fixed the magnet trick, too.

Promobricks has a list of the first 2021 wave. Looks like we're getting a cheaper TIE, X-Wing and Imperial Shuttle, but with reduced detail compared to their predecessors.

This looks bad... ugh:sceptic:

Edit: actually, i like the idea of slightly less detailed sets for cheap.. but we're only getting 4 system sets in January? Ouch.

Edited by 2lazeetomakeaname

23 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Promobricks has a list of the first 2021 wave. Looks like we're getting a cheaper TIE, X-Wing and Imperial Shuttle, but with reduced detail compared to their predecessors.

For the sake of many many kids, I am glad.

I don't need more Star Wars lego for myself. With the exception of a few niche figs and ships I have everuthing I care about. If a 2020's kid can get into the hobby as easily as I could in the 00's, then I am all for it.

I thought that about the 4+ sets though. And then i saw them. So judgement slightly withheld.

If the 2021 UCS is indeed only $200 and indeed the Gunship, I wonder if it will be more mbs style like the Tantive IV. I can't imagine an actual ucs Gunship at that price. Gunship could also be fall though. 

What do you guys honestly prefer?

1. Overpriced Xwing and Tie Fighter but Look complex and great

or

2. Decently Priced X-Wing and Tie but sacrifices Complexity 

Honestly I would prefer the option 2 and its great for kids to get into the theme

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

What do you guys honestly prefer?

1. Overpriced Xwing and Tie Fighter but Look complex and great

or

2. Decently Priced X-Wing and Tie but sacrifices Complexity 

Honestly I would prefer the option 2 and its great for kids to get into the theme

Option 2. They hit a good balance with the first wave of "remakes" around 2008 IMO. Since 2012 ish they have grown steadily more into collectors items not kids' toys. Maybe the new adult specific branding is going to be accompanied by more kid friendly system sets. If this indicates a change of philosophy I am very interested to see the pics.

I wonder if The Mandalorian set is based on Season 1 or 2? It's definitely a must buy for me, especially at 30€ price. Anyways, to sum up all the sets we're getting in 1HY:

Normal sets: 4

Helmets: 3

Microfighters: 3

4+ sets: 1

UCS: 1

Buildable Figures: 1

TOTAL: 13

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN