MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

People who started watching SW with TPM generally aren't the AFOLs buying SW Lego.

What are you talking about,TPM is the first movie i watched in 1999 and is to this day my favorite movie that i probably watched over 100 times and i am buying every star wars set LEGO makes from prequel/clone wars era,and i have a ton of friends who started with aotc or tpm and still buy LEGO Star Wars. 

On Mos Eisley subject,as prequel fan i support LEGO decision to make Mos Eisley and i think it looks awesome and i am super happy dewback is single molded,love the promo too. Scene is super iconic from OT,and it reminds me of mandalorian too,still wont get it cause i vote with my wallet for prequel stuff. I want more UCS sets like it instead of over sized ships that are perfectly represented with smaller sets like A-wing,obi wans jedi starfighter or Snowspeeder.

14 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

I can't believe anyone starts with watching TPM first. From a film-making POV it makes no sense, because concepts such as the force, Jedi etc aren't explained in TPM, but they are in ANH. TPM exists on the understanding that everyone has watched the OT first.

I can this set selling better than stuff like (the disappointing) Cloud City etc. People who started watching SW with TPM generally aren't the AFOLs buying SW Lego.

Well actually I made the deciscion when I wanted my wife to watch the Star Wars saga to start with the TPM, mainly because I thought if I start with ANH she would just want to turn of the TV after 5 minutes (shes one of those people who cannot watch a movie older than the 90ies in terms of overall quality). I was somehow wrong, she made it to the cantina then she was like, turn it off. lol. Now I now a bunch of people here would scream DIVORCE. I can't, she would take half my lego... and kill me. Dont know what is worse. ;) 

To her defense, she actually liked Rogue one and Solo somehow, the ST we haven't come there yet.

And for myself, first movie I watched was ROTJ. I was eight or nine years old back in 1991 or 92 and a classmate had just got hold of a cool movie he had taken from his older brother so we were just thrilled we got a cool space adventure movie a bit above our age limit. Before that, I had no idea what Star Wars was. I would be suprised if I was the only one who just started to watch a SW movie like that just randomly. 

Edited by Sneakguest

4 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Some people complained but I love the little dioramas and would have liked to have seen one for each film. 

I think most people liked Hoth and Endor (despite an overall preference towards minifigs as GWP). On the contrary, the Death Star II was a main disappointment when it comes to the choice of the movie and scene, the representation of the scene and the quality of the builds (the last A-wing from the calender is superior for instance). Already the last May the 4th we should rather have got a Tatooine. After three micro builds I guess Lego has turned page exploring this new lightsaber theme.

2 hours ago, MGS6735 said:

I don't see how this conclusion was reached either. I'd love an explanation though.

Not the one who originally said that, but if I may hazard a guess, I think they might mean that anyone who's dropping $350 on a toy (as strong as we feel about LSW or LEGO in general, that's what it is at the end of the day) of the cantina probably is from the generation that grew up largely on the OT era of movies.  I don't really see as many people from the younger generation buying this, just because either they're younger and don't have $350 worth of disposable income at the ready, or they're more interested in non-OT stuff.  I think if you were to poll Star Wars AFOLs, more of them would tend to favor the OT or be of the generation that grew up on the OT, but that's just a guess on my part based on what I see online.  

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

But even that argument has it's flaws. I for instance never cared about this franchise untill I saw TFA back in 2015, that got me hooked and here we are 5 years later and I'm a huge SW nerd (I wonder how many people here can say that they've read all of the canon comics for instance :grin: ). TFA is what got me into Star Wars, I love the sequels, I love the prequels, I love the originals. Every single one of the films has it's pros and cons and yadayada. But even as someone who started out with the sequels I 100% agree with the people who say the Mos Eisley Cantina deserves this MBS set and if I had enough budget left to afford it I would definetely get it!

Wow, yeah full grown man getting SW nerdy after TFA, no probably not the most common, but that just chose that there are many paths to the light side! And yes, probably very few have read all canon comics, I have read pretty much, most of it old republic or older so not canon any more I guess. Dont know how many canon comics there are, but it sounds impressive. 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

The cantina scene is among the most iconic ones in film history, if that’s not enough to justify a 350$ set I don’t know what is :laugh:

And regarding the order in which to watch the films: Personally, I always go with the order the films were released in so as to experience them the way they were originally intended. Changing the order changes the expectations you might have, and you might encounter things like early instalment weirdness. Plus, there are the spoilers @jdubbs mentioned

But if defending the reverse order by anything, there must be atleast some value to have Palpatine be exposed as the main antagonist, thats hardly any suprise for people who have watch OT 

40 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

But if defending the reverse order by anything, there must be atleast some value to have Palpatine be exposed as the main antagonist, thats hardly any suprise for people who have watch OT 

That's a pretty funny point. To anyone that watched star wars starting with TPM, did you guys figure out who the sith lord was by his chin or was it a surprise? I saw OT first so I don't know what it was like going in blind. 

45 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

On Mos Eisley subject,as prequel fan i support LEGO decision to make Mos Eisley and i think it looks awesome and i am super happy dewback is single molded,love the promo too. Scene is super iconic from OT,and it reminds me of mandalorian too,still wont get it cause i vote with my wallet for prequel stuff.

Completely agree.

There are realistically only a handful of other choices that make sense as a build of this size. Maybe another Endor set... Geonosis... Yavin perhaps, though that setting is lacking in action sequences... as much as I would love it, it boils down to lots of people standing around a table/screen talking. The Jedi Temple has the same problem... it's 12 guys sitting in chairs. Not saying these won't ever happen, but I can definitely see why a location like the Cantina was chosen first.

@jdubbs (Sorry I can't figure out how to pull quotes from multiple pages into the same post.)

The flaw in that logic is that you can also reduce the Cantina to a bunch of people at a bar, which isn't exactly interesting either. Anything will lose what makes it interesting if you reduce it that much. I won't wishlist what I think they should have done instead, but I agree with some of the ideas you listed.

I researched what qualifies something as being iconic, and pretty much the only requirements are that a lot of people think it is important and that it is influential. So in that respect, the Cantina is iconic. However, I still don't find it to be particularly influential (I'm not going to argue that a bunch of people don't think it is important when there clearly are a bunch of people who think that).

The problem I run into with the influentialness (I hope that's a word) of the cantina is that the main reason I've seen for it being called influential is that it introduces a larger universe by being populated by aliens and has a lived-in aesthetic that was unique to it at the time. I can see how that would make it influential if ANH was your introduction to the Star Wars universe, but that isn't the case for me. The only other reason I've seen on this forum is that it is influential because it is iconic, which isn't very convincing because something must be influential to be iconic. I'd love to hear what else there is about the cantina that makes it influential if I've missed anything.

You're being a bit reductive here. His point is that the original Star Wars movie actually did the heavy-lifting to introduce the audience to the concept of the Force, Jedi, etc. whereas TPM just assumed you already knew who the Jedi were, that they could use the Force, what the Force is, etc... The same way that Luke, an outsider, was being introduced to these concepts, the audience was too.

I'm not disagreeing that ANH introduces things like the force. It was the first movie made, so of course, it introduces the force. But TPM also provides an explanation for the force via midichlorians. They aren't the same, and I would agree that ANH is probably easier to get into because Luke is learning about these things with the audience, but both trilogies provide some form of explanation. Both trilogies explain all of these things, but they have different approaches to doing so and do it at different points in the trilogy. The OT probably does it better, but that doesn't mean the PT doesn't do it.

These are pretty essential to understanding and appreciating all the movies, whereas midichlorians, where R2/3PO came from, etc. are not at all essential to your understanding or appreciation of any of the movies.

I agree that understanding the rules that govern the universe is more important than understanding why everything is. I think both trilogies explain the universe in their own ways, so which you prefer is your preference.

There are also things in the OT that heighten the audience's anticipation of the PT, and things in the PT that spoil the audience's enjoyment of the OT... two reasons to watch the OT first. For those of us that saw the OT first, hearing Obi-Wan casually drop this mention of "the clone wars" and how Luke's father fought in them, without any real explanation, totally piqued the audience's interest... people wanted to know what he was talking about, and see that story unfold. Conversely, key OT plot points like Luke's relationship to Vader, his relationship to Leia, and even Yoda's identity are all needlessly spoiled if you watch the PT first. 

I agree that there are things that make you want to watch the PT if you start with the OT like the Clone Wars (which is kind of also a spoiler for the PT). At this point, I think we reach an impasse based on what we want out of the movie viewing experience. If you want to understand everything as it happens and don't care if everything isn't explained immediately, starting with the PT seems like the better choice. If you want the experience to be more of a mystery and discover the universe at the pace of the characters while not knowing exactly why everything is happening, starting with the OT seems like the best idea. It comes down to if you view the PT as spoiling the OT or not. If the PT came out first, I don't think there would be such a debate as to what order the movies should be watched in. This is why I believe the order you watch the movies in is ultimately a preference. Neither is objectively better or worse than the other, they're just different experiences.

28 minutes ago, fsuz32 said:

That's a pretty funny point. To anyone that watched star wars starting with TPM, did you guys figure out who the sith lord was by his chin or was it a surprise? I saw OT first so I don't know what it was like going in blind. 

I remember it being a pretty neat plot twist because Palpatine had been around since TPM. I didn't really expect them to do much with him until he was in a bunch of scenes in ROTS, so seeing him become a central part of the plot was pretty interesting.

At this point, I think this discussion about what the best order to watch the movies in has outstayed its welcome in this thread. There can be a discussion about what the objective best order to watch the films in is, but all that matters at the end of the day is that you enjoy the movies. PM me or make a separate thread if you want to keep having this conversation. Otherwise, I'm not planning on responding to any future posts in this thread regarding this issue unless a solid line of reasoning is presented which convinces me that my current position is objectively wrong.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

On Mos Eisley subject,as prequel fan i support LEGO decision to make Mos Eisley and i think it looks awesome and i am super happy dewback is single molded,love the promo too. Scene is super iconic from OT,and it reminds me of mandalorian too,still wont get it cause i vote with my wallet for prequel stuff. I want more UCS sets like it instead of over sized ships that are perfectly represented with smaller sets like A-wing,obi wans jedi starfighter or Snowspeeder.

If you want to get the cantina, don't hold back just because you like the prequels too. I bought 5 copies of CW sets in the past month alone, and if I had the cash I'd get the cantina ASAP. Buying the cantina won't make lego not make OT sets.

As for the UCS ships, it all depends on what size ship it is. All the smaller sets you mentioned are smaller ships, whereas stuff like the falcon, star destroyer, etc need to be larger to get the right level of detail for a UCS. A falcon at a $200 price point would just be a slighty more overpriced system falcon.:laugh:

1 hour ago, fsuz32 said:

I'm pretty sure a 5 year old could figure out palpatine was the bad guy from TPM alone. :grin: 

On 9/10/2020 at 6:32 AM, Brikkyy13 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the cantina didn’t need this type of treatment. The cantina itself, as iconic of a scene that it is, not much happens there. Luke gets into a bar fight, some stuff goes down in Han’s booth and that’s it. This set achieves nothing that the 2014 set didn’t except for more figures. 

Except as much as I would like to agree with you being a huge PT fan and rooting for a MBS Petranaki Arena, it does achieve something that the 2014 set didn't other than the figures. 

The reason the cantina has got sets over the years is precisely because the scenes inside it with Luke, Han and Greedo; they may be fleeting, but they are iconic. And every time a Mos Eisley cantina has been released in the last few years there have been a good few comments from people disappointed that it did not include a full bar, more booths, fully enclosed cantina etc never mind more alien minifigures or the Imperial Spy, Ponda Baba or Dr Evazan. This set realises all of those wishes. Now you could argue this is just the voice of a small minority of AFOLS, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot more customers out there who don't frequent this forum or even follow the Lego world online who would wish for the same. I know some would say you could just buy multiple smaller cantina sets and mod them into a bigger cantina if that's what you want, but for those of us who don't MOC that is not a desirable prospect, not to mention that if you follow that line of thinking you could effectively say MBS sets don't need to exist at all and people could just mod the larger scenes from smaller sets. So this set not only improves upon playability, but displayability of an iconic location and scene greatly and as much as other scenes may be more wished for by some, that doesn't make Mos Eisley unworthy of the MBS treatment in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

(or maybe not, u guys overseas has seen that transformation all too recently, but to a president that is)

Oh no I'm not brave enough for politics.

We're dangerously close to the edge here guys. Be careful to keep things on topic and not devolve into film discussion.

I would say each movie in each of the three trilogies has an iconic scene, vehicle, place, moment, etc.

I think one could argue that Tatooine IS the iconic planet of the whole franchise when one considers how much happens there.  In the first ever movie it plays a huge role.

So of all the events and places that have happen on Tatooine one of them takes place in Mos Eisley.  The Cantina is where we first meet characters that play important parts in past and future trilogies ( Han and Chewbacca), see a lightsaber in action (Obi Wan dis arming someone as oppose to Luke swinging it around) and the most debated scene, did Han shoot first!  As someone else posted earlier it sets the tone of the larger SW Universe. It is worthy of MBS status and a great set as well.  Regardless of which movie one sees first and what order viewed  in, the ANH will always be the first movie.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, 1974 said:

Jabba's Palace is very much in the same vein (and should recieve a proper MBS set one day)

THIS. October 2022 maybe?

Sy Snootles? Ephant Mon? A new EV 9D9? 8D8? 

I'll try not to wishlist too much and get myself a black mark.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:41 AM, ToaDraco said:

Some people complained but I love the little dioramas and would have liked to have seen one for each film.

I was skeptical at first, but I grew to like them. I hope this isn't the end for the diorama sets, but it will be interesting to see if the 1:1 lightsabers continue. I don't know if there are many other than Yoda's that would work well as a GWP set though.

Also, @TheMainBricker and @jdubbs: I stand by the points I made in response to your previous posts, but I took too quarrelsome of an approach when doing so. Sorry about that.

34 minutes ago, Redroe said:

THIS. October 2022 maybe?

Sy Snootles? Ephant Mon? A new EV 9D9? 8D8? 

I'll try not to wishlist too much and get myself a black mark.

Yeah I forgot about Jabba's Palace; it would be an easy choice for LEGO to do as well. Someone will inevitably bring up the faux-controversy that followed the last System version, but I doubt LEGO took that seriously enough to not release another one. Or the Barge, if they wanted to scale one up from the last System version. Hasbro released a $500 version of it a year ago and it already sells for 3-4x its original price. There is clearly a market for it.

That said, it's probably 2ish years before another MBS playset is released. My money's on a TIE Interceptor next May to battle the A-Wing, and the Gunship next fall. But who knows.

16 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Yeah I forgot about Jabba's Palace; it would be an easy choice for LEGO to do as well. Someone will inevitably bring up the faux-controversy that followed the last System version, but I doubt LEGO took that seriously enough to not release another one. Or the Barge, if they wanted to scale one up from the last System version. Hasbro released a $500 version of it a year ago and it already sells for 3-4x its original price. There is clearly a market for it.

That said, it's probably 2ish years before another MBS playset is released. My money's on a TIE Interceptor next May to battle the A-Wing, and the Gunship next fall. But who knows.

Yeah I am just going on the two year cycle for fall/autumn releases that seems to be developing: UCS next year, MBS after that. 

I'd love a Sail Barge. The 2006 one remains my all time favourite set with some mods borrowed from the awful looking remake. The palace seems to fit the MBS mold better though.

The mosque controversy was absurd at the time and would be doubly so if it was brought up again, but as I said on another thread, I can see more people getting upset about female minifig printing. And yet imagine the AFOL rage if they did a palace without Oola or Leia? It might be enough to convince them not to do another Jabba set ever again.

Footnote 1: 501st on Amazon UK. Early bird gets the worm.

Footnote 2: yes, I realise there are numerous awkward racial and sexual subtexts present in the Jabba scenes but to blame it on Lego is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

This seems about right, although I'd be seriously annoyed if there's another UCS TIE interceptor before a new system one.

40 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Yeah I am just going on the two year cycle for fall/autumn releases that seems to be developing: UCS next year, MBS after that. 

I'd love a Sail Barge. The 2006 one remains my all time favourite set with some mods borrowed from the awful looking remake. The palace seems to fit the MBS mold better though.

The mosque controversy was absurd at the time and would be doubly so if it was brought up again, but as I said on another thread, I can see more people getting upset about female minifig printing. And yet imagine the AFOL rage if they did a palace without Oola or Leia? It might be enough to convince them not to do another Jabba set ever again.

Footnote 2: yes, I realise there are numerous awkward racial and sexual subtexts present in the Jabba scenes but to blame it on Lego is ludicrous.

That's the problem, lego's in a no-win situation here. Sure, the "jabba's palace looks vaguely like a mosque"  controversy is a really stupid line of attack, but people have been losing their jobs over a lot less, so lego might not want to risk any bad press. The problem with Oola makes more sense to me, as she's pretty much nude, but she's as essential to a jabba set. I still think slave leia won't be a problem at all if they call it "huttslayer" instead like disney rebranded it as. The problem is, lego risks bad press (of course unwarranted bad press, but bad press nonetheless) if they do these things, and varying degrees of fan outrage if they don't. If we ever get a new jabba set, my money's on it containing huttslayer leia but not oola.

I don't think they'd have two tatooine MBS sets in a row anyway, it's more likely the next will be endor themed IMO. Bunker, some of the ewok village, at-st and glider. They could even do the log-smash trap!

30 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think they'd have two tatooine MBS sets in a row anyway, it's more likely the next will be endor themed IMO. Bunker, some of the ewok village, at-st and glider. They could even do the log-smash trap!

The Ewok Village supposedly sold very well. A companion set for it like the one you describe would be my top choice for the next MBS, and would probably do well for LEGO.

Edited by jdubbs

The 20th Anniversary Obi Wan minifig is available on Shop @ Home for 3.99.

I just placed an order.

Lego item #30624 if you're looking for it.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:00 PM, azzer86 said:

For the UK folks, 501st pack in stock at Amazon for next day delivery. Act quick. 

?

Why? What's the rush?

Long time lurker here, so first of all hello everyone.

About that Obi-Wan 20th Anniversary figure on sale; is this the first time TLG has ever had a Star Wars minifigure on sale and not as part of a special event or exclusive? Because on TLG's own website, they specifically say that they're unable to sell licensed minifigures as standalone products outside of a set - with Star Wars listed as an example. Yet, the listing for the Obi-Wan figure is titled "Obi-Wan Kenobi™ minifigure"

So am I missing something here or has LEGO officially started selling Star Wars minifigures now?

2 hours ago, Chill said:

The 20th Anniversary Obi Wan minifig is available on Shop @ Home for 3.99.

I just placed an order.

Lego item #30624 if you're looking for it.

wish they would offer more minifigs a la carte this way

34 minutes ago, LarryBoy said:

Long time lurker here, so first of all hello everyone.

About that Obi-Wan 20th Anniversary figure on sale; is this the first time TLG has ever had a Star Wars minifigure on sale and not as part of a special event or exclusive? Because on TLG's own website, they specifically say that they're unable to sell licensed minifigures as standalone products outside of a set - with Star Wars listed as an example. Yet, the listing for the Obi-Wan figure is titled "Obi-Wan Kenobi™ minifigure"

So am I missing something here or has LEGO officially started selling Star Wars minifigures now?

Welcome! Way back in 2000, they released four packs containing three minifigs each, with a few extra pieces to build bases for them. The only other time I'm aware of was the Force Awakens C-3PO polybag back in 2015, which was sold at Toys R Us.

4 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The Ewok Village supposedly sold very well. A companion set for it like the one you describe would be my top choice for the next MBS, and would probably do well for LEGO.

I would love an Endor bunker set with an AT-ST, some imps, rebels, and Ewoks. Although I would have to rethink my Endor shelf... The Village itself takes up a hair over half the shelf. An AT-ST and system scale Shuttle Tydirium take up the other half. Definitely wouldn't be room for an MBS-scale bunker scene!