MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Its good they get rid of the wrong X-34Lukes Landspeeder which has insufficient windshield which they were not able to fix even the last time. V-35 speeder is a nice change. Wondering if it was inspired by this

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8879/RenegadeClone/v-35-courier-landspeeder/#parts

The second speeder Ubrikkian 9000 is stupid - i dont have a problem with the "real" vehicle, but the way lego is doing the windows is bad. Dont understand why didnt they just picked up some half sphere transparent piece and printed it so that it would be possible to actually see inside/outside through the 4 window ? It would look better and save some piece count.

8 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It is not realistic to expect LEGO to release a set like this without the core characters who appeared in the scene. I get that you don't want another Luke, Ben, etc. (really none of us does) but acquiring duplicates (triplicates, quadruplicates...) is a fact of life, once you've been collecting for more than a few years. It's like saying "I already have three Darth Vaders. Why did LEGO have to pack another one in this new Darth Vader's TIE Fighter?"

Yeah, can't argue with that at all. I guess just a personal preference more than anything, but an unrealistic personal preference on my part too, to ever actually occur.
To be fair, they have been generous with the figs.

15 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

No offense, but you're kinda coming across as the guy who finds a cloud in every silver lining. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it seems like a rather negative reading of what appears to be a pretty generous (and reasonably comprehensive) selection of figs. There are a few more that would be great to have, sure... but they'll inevitably show up in a $30-40 Cantina add-on a few years down the line, and so on.

It is not realistic to expect LEGO to release a set like this without the core characters who appeared in the scene. I get that you don't want another Luke, Ben, etc. (really none of us does) but acquiring duplicates (triplicates, quadruplicates...) is a fact of life, once you've been collecting for more than a few years. It's like saying "I already have three Darth Vaders. Why did LEGO have to pack another one in this new Darth Vader's TIE Fighter?"

Agree to disagree on this. There are MOCs, yes. But I don't recall any that were anywhere near as nicely detailed as this set. 

Its because i would very much like to see a set where i will be just "shut up and take my money" meme, but seems like Lego is doing what they can to avoid it. Its hard for a long time collector to see what the 3rd parties and sculptors are able to produce for custom figs and there is a TON of figs we still dont have, yet we are running in circles with the same figs over and over. Also the price is getting ridiculous. Last time i was really excited to purchase a set day 1 was with UCS Slave 1 where the set did it right and clicked all the check boxes - full arm print Boba, extra CC Trooper, minifig scale vehicle, new bigger cockpit piece - all i wanted was fulfilled (unfortunately the set was sold out in the store on day 1 when i got there and btw its a 2h ride there and then 2h back - so i purchased the cockpit 2x and few special parts and build my own one in different paint scheme while waiting on the original to be restocked)

No, its not a fact of life, i simply dont buy more SW lego until we have something really new - its legos problem to ignore the long term collectors needs - they will sell less products, ill spend the money elsewhere (transformers Earthrise has a strong line currently).

In the past the evolution of figures was really rapid, a new version was far superior and the build as well, now we get a slightly different print for a figure whose print was already perfect. Instead of getting really new figures of characters we dont have (hello Aunt Beru).

Check this one from 2015

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-10024/IScreamClone/mos-eisley-cantina/#comments

So i really hope the ninjago city will be a set that i could pick up the day 1, If i were a bigger HP fan, i would pick Diagon Aley -> but that has to wait.

33 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I feel like I say this every other week, but I reckon this is another set with one eye trained on the non-AFOLs, who will more than likely have none of the main figs since they're not LEGO collectors. If someone's favourite Star Wars scene is the cantina and they had to get one LEGO set, then this is it, and it fulfils that brief extremely well given how well-rounded the figure selection is.

3 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

No, its not a fact of life, i simply dont buy more SW lego until we have something really new - its legos problem to ignore the long term collectors needs - they will sell less products, ill spend the money elsewhere (transformers Earthrise has a strong line currently).

Long-term collectors don't make LEGO any money though, it's such a small subset of the market. In losing that sector they won't miss out on anything. You're right in that there will be diminishing returns for collectors, but that's true of any hobby. 

8 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I feel like I say this every other week, but I reckon this is another set with one eye trained on the non-AFOLs, who will more than likely have none of the main figs since they're not LEGO collectors. If someone's favourite Star Wars scene is the cantina and they had to get one LEGO set, then this is it, and it fulfils that brief extremely well given how well-rounded the figure selection is.

Long-term collectors don't make LEGO any money though, it's such a small subset of the market. In losing that sector they won't miss out on anything. You're right in that there will be diminishing returns for collectors, but that's true of any hobby. 

And whos the majority now ? It seems to me that todays kids are not really into SW. Not sure if in other countries but here the SW lego line gets less and less space in the shelves.

16 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

If you're waiting for LEGO to design something specifically and solely for your needs/wants/tastes, you're going to be waiting a long time... an eternity. I gave up expectations like that a lonnnnng time ago. And if you think sitting by the sidelines will somehow hurt LEGO's bottom line, well, look no further than LEGO's just-released financial report. Their business is definitely not hurting, no matter how much you (or I, or any other AFOL) may be dissatisfied by one particular wave or set or whatever. 

It may not be your cup of tea, but judging by the reaction of others on this forum, this set will sell well enough. I happen to agree with you (I think) that the overall direction of LEGO's handling of the SW license needs a major rethink... but unlike you I think this particular set is an example of how LEGO is capable of knocking it out of the park.

11 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

And whos the majority now ? It seems to me that todays kids are not really into SW. Not sure if in other countries but here the SW lego line gets less and less space in the shelves.

Clearly you and I know very different sets of kids. I don't have kids but every single one of my work friends has kids who love Star Wars.

I feel like a good news, bad news meme.

Goods news: out of my 4000+ minifigs I've only ever had one develop a crack on its arm.

Bad news: that 1 fig is my 2004 Greedo :-( 

Cmon Lego, Greedo needs a new pair of sleeves! (It won't happen)

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Bingo.

LEGO is savvy enough to know that a set like this needs appeal to "all four quadrants", so to speak. For a high-ticket item like this to find wide success, it needs to have equal appeal to AFOLs, kids, and the Star Wars fan who's never purchased a LEGO set in their life.

But alas....our community will manage to find ways to complain about everything, even an absolutely GORGEOUS set like this. :shrug_confused:

Edited by The_Chosen_1

Just now, The_Chosen_1 said:

Bingo.

LEGO is savvy enough to know that a set like this needs appeal to "all four quadrants", so to speak. For a high-ticket item like this to find wide success, it needs to have equal appeal to AFOLs, kids, and the Star Wars fan who's never purchased a LEGO set in their life.

I was going to say just this.  Yeah, it stinks for people who already own 3 Chewbaccas or 5 Tatooine Lukes, but how are you not going to include them?  The only ones you can reasonably argue for not including were the droids since they weren't really in the scene, but they're still pretty important to Mos Eisley as a whole, and the set is more than just the cantina.  Heck, when I was a little bit younger, I still bought a ton of Star Wars stuff and only within the past 3-4 years did I amass all of Tatooine Luke/Ep 4 Han/Ben/Chewbacca/C-3PO/R2-D2, so you can't just say "all collectors already have these figures" or assume that they'll just buy them on the secondary market.  I don't really want to buy a used figure on BL/eBay/wherever.  To anyone that isn't a hardcore collector/hasn't amassed a ton of minifigs, they'd rather get the main characters than a couple of extra background aliens that, while cool, mean more to the people that only want to collect rare figures than anyone else.

Not gonna bother reading through all the excitement/complaints, but I just want to say a few things.

• I love it! It's much larger than I expected, and I think it'll be a better value than Cloud City (based on mass alone)
  • I spot a Givin! And of course Momaw Nadon and a Devaronian.
  • Imperial Spy was not an inclusion I expected, however, I'm glad to get him finally. Now to get hundreds of Sandtroopers to zipline in from out of nowhere! :laugh:
  • Glad we get the Dewback mold again, as I have a strong distaste for brick-built creatures, but sad to see no Ronto
  • I'm glad this is solely the cantina, with some side elements/buildings, instead of an attempt to make the cantina + docking bay. It feels fuller this way, and I believe will make for an amazing set.
  • And the biggest one: MBS is not dead! Thank the maker! :sweet: Hopefully this means more MBS-style sets to come, even if it's one every two years (Cloud City was in 2018).

Well, correction, no Givin :cry_sad:, but that triple-vertical-engine landspeeder that I've been predicting since Day 1! :moar:

I love this set.

I have no space for this set.

But I need this set. :grin:

I think if you didn't include the core minifigures parents would look at is as a money grab by Lego (assuming they were cool with buying mos eisley for their kid). Now they have to buy all these little add on sets just to get the main figs. Not really fair to them. Do what every other collector does and sell the duplicates? There is a whole second hand Lego economy for a reason, and this is it. I was actually really pessimistic on this set when I first heard what it was (flashbacks to assualt on  hoth) but I am pleasantly surprised and am even considering purchasing if the inside is as good looking as the outside. 

Theres also going to be people who are hard core lego fans who own tons of sets, but maybe they never buy lego Star Wars. If they like this set maybe they buy it and having the main characters could actually justify the purchase a bit. I know this has happened for me in other themes. I may buy the odd marvel or DC set but not even 1 a year, so i'd never complain about an Iron Man or Batman, and from what i can see those two get put in a ton of sets (albeit with minor variation). I have to assume Superhero fans are tired of generic Iron Man and Batman figs when they aren't special variants.

To play Devaronian's advocate for the figure repeats, a good chunk of repeated figures are mass-able like Sandtroopers, Jawas, and the Modal Nodes.

Or they have good parts that can be used to make custom figures. An Obi-Wan copy is a free set of Jedi Robes. Luke and Wuher are head swaps away from generic moisture farmers.

Some of the frustration I get though, as I'm really about to have my fifth modern Chewbacca (Which is sort of annoying since the 2015 figure was clearly designed to look like ROTS Chewbacca and personally looks off when used in an Original Trilogy context). On the other hand, I am surprised that somehow the last non-red arm 3PO I own is from the 2010 Landspeeder.

5 hours ago, ginja said:

Looking again at the piece I think people saying its a crystal are likely correct. I just saw it first time and thought it was a hologram, which makes more sense haha

I totally get it, it feels like it should be a hologram. It makes sense for the sandtroopers to have a hologram, but not a random crystal....unless it's as I thought and they're doing spice.:laugh:

5 hours ago, RODDY said:

GARINDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARINDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Excited Kubaz noises*

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

No offense, but you're kinda coming across as the guy who finds a cloud in every silver lining. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it seems like a rather negative reading of what appears to be a pretty generous (and reasonably comprehensive) selection of figs. There are a few more that would be great to have, sure... but they'll inevitably show up in a $30-40 Cantina add-on a few years down the line, and so on.

Yeah, I agree here. Expecting a set to not include the main characters is something you'd think would be parody or sarcasm, it's just so unrealistic.

2 hours ago, STARHAWK said:

Its because i would very much like to see a set where i will be just "shut up and take my money" meme, but seems like Lego is doing what they can to avoid it. Its hard for a long time collector to see what the 3rd parties and sculptors are able to produce for custom figs and there is a TON of figs we still dont have, yet we are running in circles with the same figs over and over. 

In the past the evolution of figures was really rapid, a new version was far superior and the build as well, now we get a slightly different print for a figure whose print was already perfect. Instead of getting really new figures of characters we dont have (hello Aunt Beru).

Really? Is this a joke? This set includes 7 characters never before seen in lego, SEVEN, in a single set! Don't complain about repeat figs or not getting more new ones. Beru isn't even in these scenes...

And you solve one of your own complaints here. Getting a "slightly different print for a figure whose print was already perfect" is good. it's slightly different because there isn't much room to improve.

Honestly the main cast had to be included; Lego could have been snarky and reject both droids because they are not allowed in; and to be fair at the rate lego is pumping R2-D2 into sets no one would have complainned to see another alien or droid in his place and 3PO is in the landspeeder set already available. 

I'm 100% getting this day one and it's coming from someone jaded since a couple years of this theme especially after a lot of dissapointing sets ( Betrayal at Bespin and Assault on Hoth omg )

Now it's Razorcrest, AT-AT, duel at Bespin and this Mos Esley set; this is a breath of fresh air after the forgetable sequel trilogy legacy of sets. 

Someone will inevitably point out something I'm forgetting, but this set has potentially half as many new molds as we've gotten for the whole OT since the ST started. Starting in 2016 Im counting maybe 6 if I'm generous and give them Han's hair which was updated because of Solo. (I'm not including Hologram Leia)

-Stormtrooper Update

-Scout Trooper Update

-4-LOM

-Zuckus

-The Helmet Briefly Known as Rebel Helmet

-Han Hair

It's refreshing to think that some of that "new mold budget" that the ST devoured can go back to finishing up the gaps in the OT!

Don't get me wrong, I'm proudly displaying all 6 Knights of Ren, but those 6 pieces of set dressing got as many new molds as the entire OT has in 5 years =D.

Edited by Archer

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

-The Helmet Briefly Known as Rebel Helmet

Are you counting the RO helmet design/s? Because the Rebel Fleet helmet, the A-Wing Helmet (from Battlefront), and the Endor cap have been around for years.

Edit: You must mean the pilot helmet. Sorry. :facepalm:

Edited by ARC2149Nova
I think I understand now

24 minutes ago, Archer said:

Someone will inevitably point out something I'm forgetting, but this set has potentially half as many new molds as we've gotten for the whole OT since the ST started. Starting in 2016 Im counting maybe 6 if I'm generous and give them Han's hair which was updated because of Solo. (I'm not including Hologram Leia)

It's refreshing to think that some of that "new mold budget" that the ST devoured can go back to finishing up the gaps in the OT!

Don't get me wrong, I'm proudly displaying all 6 Knights of Ren, but those 6 pieces of set dressing got as many new molds as the entire OT has in 5 years =D.

This is true, but it's also the case that they were coming off a huge glut of new OT molds: 2014 alone had Chewbacca, Imperial gunner helmets, Imperial officer caps, Bith heads, B-wing pilot helmets, the Ithorian head, and the RA-7 heads (the later two technically for Yoda Chronicles, granted), and 2015 had the new Vader, which was two molds. There's no denying that there are gaps in the OT, but at this point I think they're a lot smaller than the ones in the PT and parts of TCW. Boss Nass, Satine (who need new molds) and Shmi Skywalker (who doesn't) are way more important characters than anybody in the OT who hasn't gotten a figure yet, and Padme is extremely underrepresented relative to any of the other main characters since she would need new molds to do justice to many of her outfits. I absolutely adore all the random background characters, but to whatever degree they have a 'new mold budget', I'd rather see them at least knock out everybody who played a significant plot role in the PT before diving into all the one- or zero-line characters from the OT.

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I was going to say just this.  Yeah, it stinks for people who already own 3 Chewbaccas or 5 Tatooine Lukes, but how are you not going to include them?  The only ones you can reasonably argue for not including were the droids since they weren't really in the scene, but they're still pretty important to Mos Eisley as a whole, and the set is more than just the cantina.  Heck, when I was a little bit younger, I still bought a ton of Star Wars stuff and only within the past 3-4 years did I amass all of Tatooine Luke/Ep 4 Han/Ben/Chewbacca/C-3PO/R2-D2, so you can't just say "all collectors already have these figures" or assume that they'll just buy them on the secondary market.  I don't really want to buy a used figure on BL/eBay/wherever.  To anyone that isn't a hardcore collector/hasn't amassed a ton of minifigs, they'd rather get the main characters than a couple of extra background aliens that, while cool, mean more to the people that only want to collect rare figures than anyone else.

This is a tangential note I admit but one which has been on my mind for a while- Lego has been much much better at including key characters in entry levek sets the last few years. I bought a few for my nephew and between 2016 and '18 he got Luke, Han, Ben, Chewie, both droids, Yoda, Vader, the Emperor and Boba Fett: a couple of background characters and redshirts and some fun small vehicles. All for three £20 sets and one £30 one. I threw in a Leia cos I am a good uncle but TLG has since done two sets under £30 with Leia.

For all we moan about the theme being stale of late it couldn't have been better for kids starting out. Back when I were a lad I could 't get a Fett, Vader or Emperor that wasn't in a (taking inflation) expensive set. And as for Leia, forget it.

I honestly genuinely cannot fathom how people could have been disappointed with Cloud City. It was one of those sets that literally checked every box as far as expectations. It was the perfect Cloud City set. Difficult to display but other than that, absolutely perfect

39 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I honestly genuinely cannot fathom how people could have been disappointed with Cloud City. It was one of those sets that literally checked every box as far as expectations. It was the perfect Cloud City set. Difficult to display but other than that, absolutely perfect

Cloud city reminded me of the death star. It's ok, but looks more play/acting out scene orientated set than it does a display piece of say, a death star or actual cloud city. The cantina looks more like it hits both. From the outside, it looks like a modelish form of the cantina, inside I assume, will have the scene stuff. 

I was very excited by the long rumored Cloud City set up until photos were released / leaked; at which point my interest in owning it plummeted to zero and never deviated. I like sets that resemble the things that they are named for so the Cloud City set did absolutely nothing for me.

11 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think its just that what you Say, displayability was the issue. Maybe it would have been difficult to make an unfolding funktion, but they could have made a removable roof and adding another 50 euros on the price tag

Edited by Sneakguest