MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

As said, the big thing with figures on the secondary market comes from if the figure stays exclusive (Which is frustrating in cases like Rebels Ahsoka and Zeb which could have went in other sets if Rebels sets did not do so bad).

However I would wait on Ponda and Garindan. Since those two have new head molds I would not be surprised if they popped up in a future smaller Cantina or Landspeeder sets respectively four to six years from now. So if I were skipping this set and hunting minifigs, I would focus on Kabe, the Devaronian, etc. who have a good chance to remain exclusive. Another rule of thumb to follow would be to wait until the 2021 advent calendar to avoid a Cloud Car Pilot scenario.

6 minutes ago, LurkingEhlek said:

However I would wait on Ponda and Garindan. Since those two have new head molds I would not be surprised if they popped up in a future smaller Cantina or Landspeeder sets respectively four to six years from now. 

Garindan-like characters were also featured a few times in The Mandalorian. So a small chance he will show up in a future Mando set. 

26 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

Living rent free after all this time. I absolutely love it. :pir-love:

Might be overstating it a wee bit there. 

I'm honestly hyped like no one's buisness for this one; camping the webiste on launch day and using all my VIP for this one.

15 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Might be overstating it a wee bit there. 

Haha I've had a bad day and it's honestly properly cheered me up that after you were so aggressive towards me that you've been stewing on it for months. I seem to remember another poster backed me up confirming they had also heard it from Jens Kronvold Frederickson himself and you were happy to accept his post - I notice you haven't called him out either...

3 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

Haha I've had a bad day and it's honestly properly cheered me up that after you were so aggressive towards me that you've been stewing on it for months. I seem to remember another poster backed me up confirming they had also heard it from Jens Kronvold Frederickson himself and you were happy to accept his post - I notice you haven't called him out either...

I was 100% under the impression MBS was put on 75222 by mistake, omitted from 75244 & would never return too. I'm stoked it's back even though everything I thought I knew was wrong because I like having the separated categories. I still don't like that 75244 is now in no-mans land.

3 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

Don't let it go to your head... I had to search on "MBS" and wade through a page or two of results to come up with your name. Yes, a LEGO designer said it was a goof, but things change... part of the reason I said it was premature to say it would never appear again. 

2 hours ago, ginja said:
5 hours ago, dvogon said:

It appears to be just a translucent blue crystal piece. Don't know about its purpose here.

I dont buy that, I think it doesn't look like a crystal but a micro fig. My guess is vader from when the troopers are looking for the droids.

If that were the case, I would like for sure to stand corrected.

22 minutes ago, MandRproductions said:

I was 100% under the impression MBS was put on 75222 by mistake, omitted from 75244 & would never return too. I'm stoked it's back even though everything I thought I knew was wrong because I like having the separated categories. I still don't like that 75244 is now in no-mans land.

Yes I like the idea as a series so am glad it's back.

11 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Man, I thought I was a Star Wars fan until I started reading these comments. Never even heard half the names you guys are throwing out there! :-D But looks to be a pretty decent set. Excited to see what's inside! :-D

Totally. I learned so many new names & races through LEGO SW. 

Wonder where the Imperial shuttle rumor came from since there doesn't seem to be any form of relatable ship in this set. Maybe next year?

7 hours ago, thenudeorganist said:

I just built a Mos Eisley Cantina MOC last year and wouldn't want to spend 350€ on this one... How much do you reckon the prices for characters like Evazan, Baba, Garindan and the Devaronian will be? I'm kinda nervous that it'll be something like 20€/figure, in which case it would be more or less stupid not to buy the whole thing :D

The desirable Cloud City exclusive figures were at minimum $20.  The cheapest Lando I can find on BL is almost $50, Luke is another $20 (although I'm not sure if the new set will make that decrease, for one I don't know if the figure is the same, and also if the quantity of the set is truly as low as it seems, it may not have that much of an effect on it, since people may not part it out), Boba with pauldron and arm printing is another $25, dual-molded Han is also $20, and Cloud City Leia was another $20.  

Ponda I could maybe see reaching Lando prices, Garindan and Evazan perhaps around the $25-30 range, the other aliens (Momaw/Kabe/Kardue/the last one, still seems unclear which figure it actually is) probably $20 just because we're likely not seeing them ever again outside of this set.  Wuher and Greedo probably depend on how much about them is different.  I could see them being $15ish as well, again just for exclusivity reasons, sort like how Lobot isn't necessarily a crazy popular character, but still commands $10-15 since it's a rare figure.  The only other ones that might be different are if they give Han dual-molded legs again or change up C-3PO or R2-D2.

This is all just conjecture on my part based on how the Cloud City figures went, though.  

Like people have been saying though, there's a decent chance that Ponda or Garindan show up again since the molds are new.  They may not be as detailed in terms of leg/arm printing, but that would definitely drive the price down if the mold were to come out in sets other than this.

Edited by Kit Figsto

On 7/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, The_Chosen_1 said:

It's interesting how the new "18+" moniker is becoming prevalent across so many themes. It made perfect sense for a UCS set (A-Wing) to adopt it as a first step in the Star Wars theme, but it's even more interesting to see a smaller set with that labeling. 

Could this be a sign that more detailed/movie accurate 18+ sets are on the way, at a variety of price points? I'm almost certain that the Mos Eisley Cantina set (if true) will be featured as an 18+ set and very film accurate....perhaps more so than prior MBS-style sets have been (Death Star, Assault on Hoth, Ewok Village, etc.), with less emphasis on play features and more emphasis on accuracy, easter eggs, etc.

Regardless, I'm really loving the new direction Lego is going with 18+ sets. It feels like the company is turning a major corner in acknowledging its adult market.

.....And here we are! :wink:

Beyond excited for this set. Like many of us, it's long been on my most-wanted list, and this looks to be beyond anything I ever expected. Can't wait to see more pics!

Glad to see Garindan is included! It wouldn't have been a big deal for me, personally, but it would have been a BIG miss(ed opportunity) if they hadn't included him in this one.
Anyway, I'll most probably be getting this set, though I'd like to see more pictures of the interior first. But even like this, it looks fantastic and the minifigure selection is amazing!

Regards,
Mitch

35 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

Glad to see Garindan is included! It wouldn't have been a big deal for me, personally, but it would have been a BIG miss(ed opportunity) if they hadn't included him in this one.
Anyway, I'll most probably be getting this set, though I'd like to see more pictures of the interior first. But even like this, it looks fantastic and the minifigure selection is amazing!

Regards,
Mitch

By far my most anticipated fig of the set. I've been trying to do a decent moc with a CMF oxygen mask and that new KoR hood, its an ugly part but its perfect for him. It looks from the blurry photo like they have used that hood with a modfied head or some kind of neck piece.

Hopefully clearer photos turn up soon but that Mos Eisley really does look rather good, a younger me would have definitely wanted this as a playset to have big battles around/in, though the price would have probably prevented me from getting it. Tbh I kind of want it for that now in a way, to use it as a 2005 Battlefront II display and fill it with Clone Wars era figs to match, and put a little command post in there. Must resist...

I'm a little surprised the sandtroopers still have black hips and what appears to be the same or very similar printing as before, I kind of expected white hips with printing & a matching new leg print given the recent clone change.

2 hours ago, fsuz32 said:

Wonder where the Imperial shuttle rumor came from since there doesn't seem to be any form of relatable ship in this set. Maybe next year?

The old tried and true game of telephone. I'm guessing someone said they wished there would be a shuttle remake, and it snowballed into a new set "leak", as things so often do.

Hoooolllllyyyy cow, this set is b-e-a-utiful! This is, I believe, the first time that lego has attempted an actual building from star wars on this scale with an exterior (so not counting the death star or cloud city which are literally just interior rooms.) They really did a good job, the detail and architecture are great. If anything, that little side building looks even better than the cantina itself. I wonder if there's anything specific there or just random homes. The figures are great too! All the main cast is of course there, that's fine, nothing new. The 3 bith are back, which is great, as is the inclusion of a few sandtroopers. Wuher, greedo, and a jawa are all fine, but the new characters are where the set really excels. The ithorian, chandra-fan, devorian, and..is that a givin? This is amazing! Only a few small nitpicks: Greedo really needs arm printing, and the inclusion of multiple landspeeders is somewhat annoying. You're telling me we can't get a second tie bomber after 17 years, but there can be two of that ufo-looking thing within 3 years? really?. A brick-built ronto would have been a more worthy inclusion, especially considering they felt the need to add a jawa. I also would have preferred a brick-built dewback, but people seem to prefer it, and it's not too annoying. All really minor things, anyway, the set looks great. Even if the interior is utter garbage, it'll still be one of the best sets of all time IMO.

That "hologram" is the 5-point crystal piece, I'm not sure why it's there. Perhaps the stormtroopers have been dipping spice?

For some reason I've just received an email that my order of the razor crest has shipped with an easter promo? and some Lamborghini promo was cancelled, or something?

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Really like the look of it, and not disappointing like how Cloud City was.

Probably best that Lego haven't copied the old Kenner playsets for this model, unlike what they did for the Death Star, Ewok Village and Cloud City.

Never going to please everyone with certain cantina characters missing, but with so many different characters that would be impossible, I think they've got the standout characters (possibly missing Bo Shek).

One thing I am tired of though is this plain black packaging, the sands of Tatooine would've made the packaging like much better.

7 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That "hologram" is the 5-point crystal piece, I'm not sure why it's there. Perhaps the stormtroopers have been dipping spice?

Looking again at the piece I think people saying its a crystal are likely correct. I just saw it first time and thought it was a hologram, which makes more sense haha

7 hours ago, Archer said:

I've seen this fallacious logic for years. It doesn't hold water.

That's the issue, it's only logic, because there's nothing to prove nor disprove it. You are likely right however, but there is certainly no shortage of han/chewie/luke/r2d2/c3po etc... If there would be any slight remote chance that not including them meant something else got extra, I'd choose that any day. 

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

But comparing pricing of Star Wars to Harry Potter isn't really fair... LEGO clearly pays more for the Star Wars license than it does for HP, so you have to expect our prices to be higher too. (And please, don't blame Disney... it was George's Lucasfilm that negotiated the initial license 20 years ago, and at least one of the subsequent renewals).

I get that, I've seen the video going in depth over licenced themes prices vs non licenced etc, but more often than not, SW come along with an anomaly to throw it out of the water and fall heavily on it having a SW tax, such as this. 

The issue is, technically, it'd be unfair to compare it to anything going by the logic of SW having to pay more for its licence, because its the most popular one. And no, you're right, it wouldn't be fair to blame Disney. But I can bet they'd have had an opportunity to reduce the licence fee and would have not even considered it for a second. (and why would they? Business is business). But let's be honest, no business likes passing on savings to the customer if its even possible if they're used to receiving a set price, because, well, money, and it's not their problem. 

But at some point, you have to come to realise that there is a point you have to stop putting SW on the high pedestal and to stop accepting its fine to pay the price of gold for still getting plastic (just a saying). There has to be a point where you put a limit on the worth of a licence, and as far as I'm concerned, Harry Potter is a big enough licence in itself at this point in time to justify a level of comparison. 

Don't get me wrong, the set so far looks spectacular, the designer has done an awesome job (am assuming the interior is just as good), I really want to get it, it's just a hit of a sour pill to swallow when one week you're forking out for the generous HP set seeing people complaining that that is overpriced and then seeing this come out and almost no one making the same claims! 

Edited by Fuppylodders

15 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Man, I thought I was a Star Wars fan until I started reading these comments. Never even heard half the names you guys are throwing out there! :-D But looks to be a pretty decent set. Excited to see what's inside! :-D

If u were collecting and playing STAR WARS Customizable Card Game from Decipher back in 1995 u would know all those aliens (in Cantina and in Jabbas Palace) as well.

Therefore im disappointed not to see some other interesting aliens like defel and shistavanen species (specially defel which can warp light around him to make himself invisible - would love to see that ability in live action), also the 4armed Nabrun Leids (there is not enough 4armed aliens in SW lego collection), arcona with his triangle head, gothal - 2horned species used widely in Rebels show and many more

17 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

My Wallet the fifth just passed away. I wish I could say peacefully but I would be a liar.

Either way the figures appear to be the following twenty-one:

1. Kardue'sai'malloc/labria = devil guy
2. Elis Helrot = next to devil guy
3. Dr Evazan
4. Ponda Baba
5. Kabe = the bat
6. Momaw Nadon = Hammerhead
7. Garindan = The spy with elephant face
8. Het Nkik? = Jawa
9. Wuher
10. Stormtrooper
11. Stormtrooper
12. Greedo
13. Han
14. Chewbacca
15. Luke
16. Obi Wan
17. C3po
18. R2D2
19. Bith
20. Bith
21. Bith

Love the many random aliens, finally some live in the cantina. However I'm kinda missing Muftak
and Wioslea. Muftak being the Talz partner in crime of Kabe. Muftak Kabe and Wiosla were the final characters I needed to complete my old Hasbro collection in Lego form. Oh well, I guess I just put Thi-Sen next to Kabe. And Wioslea was of course the one luke's landspeeder got sold to. Would've completed the scene imo.

Still probably one of the best figure selections for Star Wars in years. Only Obi Wan and 3po are due for an update.

Not really the best possible selection for this set for a 350 Eur price point:

1. Kardue'sai'malloc/labria = devil guy - will depend on how they made the head, could be a good figure and also a question is if that headpiece will be an extra one as with the zabraks
2. Elis Helrot = next to devil guy - its probably the saurin, hope its not the same mold as for trandoshan
3. Dr Evazan - OK fig, easy to made - should already appear in a smaller set
4. Ponda Baba - nice headsculpt but missing armprint (similar to snowspeederpilot in UCS) and dualmold legs + print
5. Kabe = the bat - lazy reuse of the existing parts instead a new nice mold for a Chadra-fan
6. Momaw Nadon = Hammerhead - reused, easy job, but i understand that this is a important figure to be in the cantina
7. Garindan = The spy with elephant face - curious how the head will be made, could be a good fig and a needed one, could be then reused for Mando Ep1 scene with the other Kubaz
8. Het Nkik? = Jawa - have min 50 of them, hope it will be a really unique print
9. Wuher - was in previous set and actually missing in the 2014 cantina, so they milked uz again for another 40 just to get Wuher
10. -11.  Stormtrooper - its Sandtrooper, hope its not a reused fig from previous set, i want to have some diversity in my 20fig sandtrooper squad
12. Greedo - lets see if its a different collor / style head to at least increase the diversity or Rodians, sad no armprint as the one from the original cantina - lazy move
13. Han - we should get one similar to the CC - doublemold legs but now in blue and a red stripe (which btw should have appeared already in the reissued Death Star)
14. Chewbacca - OK whatever, have tons of Chewies figs
15. Luke - was he really necessary in this set ?
16. Obi Wan - was he really necessary in this set ?
17. C3po - was he really necessary in this set ?
18. R2D2 - was he really necessary in this set ?

15-18 - we get those several times already, this set is for collectors and not children, they either have all those figs OR can buy sets which re still on the market with those figs -> those figs are taking slots for other interesting aliens

19. - 21. Bith - have 6, every true collector and fan of Tatooine purchased 2 cantinas in 2014, but seems its a mandatory fig for those who didnt purchased previous cantinas

So is the fig selection really so good ?

Wioslea is not that interesting looking alien as she was too covered - its only more interesting for those who have her action figure

Muftak was a good choice, pity they did not make the mohawk piece on the previous Talz from clone wars removable.

I named some of my wish aliens in previous comment.

16 hours ago, Archer said:

Here's hoping Han gets the works on leg printing again.

I just noticed that the biths appear to have dual molded legs. Lego really knows which figures deserve the bells and whistles. Ep VII C-3PO's and Bith musicians, thats where we draw the line at cutting corners. :-D

If not, then its 1less fig to BL for me. Need to wait for detailed pictures, but seems they were really cheap on arm print and dual molds as usual and i really don understand this policy for 100-600 Eur sets in compare to CMF bags where u get a full job for just 4Eur - arm/leg print , dualmolds even new hair molds in one bag ......

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

That's the issue, it's only logic, because there's nothing to prove nor disprove it. You are likely right however, but there is certainly no shortage of han/chewie/luke/r2d2/c3po etc... If there would be any slight remote chance that not including them meant something else got extra, I'd choose that any day. 

But at some point, you have to come to realise that there is a point you have to stop putting SW on the high pedestal and to stop accepting its fine to pay the price of gold for still getting plastic (just a saying).

Don't get me wrong, the set so far looks spectacular, the designer has done an awesome job (am assuming the interior is just as good), I really want to get it, it's just a hit of a sour pill to swallow when one week you're forking out for the generous HP set seeing people complaining that that is overpriced and then seeing this come out and almost no one making the same claims! 

My point is that an argument that its for kids and its a playset so they need to have the ability to replay the scenes does not hold. 350E is not a gift to a kid from a regular parent - i keep hearing that its starts to be difficult for a lot of people in US to have 400 at hand in case of unexpected situations (and i thought i live in a poor country). Sets with Luke and Obi are still on shelves. They could put more unique aliens to justify a purchase for long term collectors like me. Now i will have to wait on a min of 100e discount like with CC OR to BL just the figs i need. All the other things (dewbacks, bricks) i already own, so i could build the cantina right the moment they put the instructions for download

"stop accepting its fine to pay the price of gold for still getting plastic" - a 1/4 OZ Gold coin is now like 440Eur so its start to be close

Design is maybe OK, they were such designs already in the MOC community. Main selling point for every bigger set are minifigs - thats the reason i did not purchased UCS ISD for 450. Diagon Aley is a nice set and seems to me its really a better value for the money. Also have to wait on the Ninjago city expansion.

2 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

Never going to please everyone with certain cantina characters missing, but with so many different characters that would be impossible, I think they've got the standout characters (possibly missing Bo Shek).

Bo Shek would be an easy to make character - no new mold required just a pilot uniform in different color and a fitting face, even the old male hair piece could be fitting for him. Why couldnt this set have several more figs ?

Maybe we really need SW CMF exactly for such obscure but easy to make characters. Well wake me up when we get there :)

20 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

Not really the best possible selection for this set for a 350 Eur price point:

<snip>

So is the fig selection really so good ?

No offense, but you're kinda coming across as the guy who finds a cloud in every silver lining. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but it seems like a rather negative reading of what appears to be a pretty generous (and reasonably comprehensive) selection of figs. There are a few more that would be great to have, sure... but they'll inevitably show up in a $30-40 Cantina add-on a few years down the line, and so on.

5 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

My point is that an argument that its for kids and its a playset so they need to have the ability to replay the scenes does not hold. 350E is not a gift to a kid from a regular parent - i keep hearing that its starts to be difficult for a lot of people in US to have 400 at hand in case of unexpected situations (and i thought i live in a poor country). Sets with Luke and Obi are still on shelves. They could put more unique aliens to justify a purchase for long term collectors like me.

It is not realistic to expect LEGO to release a set like this without the core characters who appeared in the scene. I get that you don't want another Luke, Ben, etc. (really none of us does) but acquiring duplicates (triplicates, quadruplicates...) is a fact of life, once you've been collecting for more than a few years. It's like saying "I already have three Darth Vaders. Why did LEGO have to pack another one in this new Darth Vader's TIE Fighter?"

1 minute ago, STARHAWK said:

Design is maybe OK, they were such designs already in the MOC community.

Agree to disagree on this. There are MOCs, yes. But I don't recall any that were anywhere near as nicely detailed as this set.