MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just picked up the Razor Crest, $170 at KMart. Not sure if they’re actually meant to be on shelves yet or if they’re already sold out, a friend of mine gave me the heads up that they came in and put one aside for me. I haven’t built it yet but it’s sad to see the people here do a 180 on their opinions now that people have the set in hand. I haven’t been disappointed by a lego set (that I’ve bought) in a long time so I hope this isn’t the first.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance if this has been answered recently, but is the rumoured ucs set releasing September or October? (or somewhen else?) 

24 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

You'll have to excuse my ignorance if this has been answered recently, but is the rumoured ucs set releasing September or October? (or somewhen else?) 

October

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

There are currently no rumors whatsoever

Ok thanks - will wait to see what January '21 holds I suppose - would be surprised if Lego ignored the game completely 

Just now, ThousandMoon said:

Ok thanks - will wait to see what January '21 holds I suppose - would be surprised if Lego ignored the game completely 

Battlefront II didn't get more than a $15 battlepack even though, just like Fallen Order, it had potential for a ton of sets. It's also fairly late for Fallen Order sets now, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get anything (maybe a Cal Kestis polybag down the line but that's it)

3 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

Just started playing Jedi Fallen Order (which is great!) - bit late to the game and I imagine this has been discussed several times, but anyone aware of rumours regarding future sets from the game? 

Some lego designers actively said they wouldn't make sets in a recent interview. The reason they gave was garbage, too. They said it was too mature and the interviewer said it wasn't any worse than some of the star wars films, so the designers basically said that since the characters are from a game, they could show up in something r-rated in the future. Which doesn't make any sense, you could say the same thing about any character from the films.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

38 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Some lego designers actively said they wouldn't make sets in a recent interview. The reason they gave was garbage, too. They said it was too mature and the interviewer said it wasn't any worse than some of the star wars films, so the designers basically said that since the characters are from a game, they could show up in something r-rated in the future. Which doesn't make any sense, you could say the same thing about any character from the films.

That's a shame, and yeah completely nonsensical logic there. Why did they make Battlefront sets then? Maybe a smokescreen for something else (Nintendo license perhaps!?).

Think I'll wait until January (as that was the timeframe for the Iden Versio BP) and if not look into MOC's / customs etc

1 hour ago, ThousandMoon said:

That's a shame, and yeah completely nonsensical logic there. Why did they make Battlefront sets then? Maybe a smokescreen for something else (Nintendo license perhaps!?).

Think I'll wait until January (as that was the timeframe for the Iden Versio BP) and if not look into MOC's / customs etc

I think the nonsensical logic derives simply from the fact that either the designers do not know the real reasons themselves and/or are not allowed to tell them into public, and thus they must make up some explanations in these interviews. Some are better than others, and well, the designers were primarily hired because they are good at Lego building.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think you misunderstood the interview. The quote was "What I would also say is that the age ratings do not necessarily remain constant. Those characters might appear outside the game in future and you never know what could happen in that event.", which I interpreted as meaning that the characters might appear in something else later with a lower rating which could get Lego sets, not "we will never make those minifigs because they might appear in something with a higher rating later".

It's weird to me that people are suddenly changing their minds on the Razor Crest when we've had pictures of it from every angle, inside and out and have had video of it for a long time. The reviews show nothing new. Are people actually complaining that a transport ship actually has space to transport stuff?? Overall I think it's remarkably accurate to the show especially for a LEGO set since LEGO so often focuses on the exterior of a ship and neglects the interior. I mean what more would you really want in there? It has a fairly accurate cockpit for the scale, a sleeping compartment, a weapon bay and a carbonite freezing area. There really wasn't much else in the ship to begin with aside from a refresher and I'd rather they didn't waste parts on that. The only complaint I can understand is the reused Mando but I'm hopeful we'll soon get one in full Beskar.

Edited by ToaDraco

Just picked up the last AAT from John Lewis with the LEGO store having exhausted its stock. The size inaccuracies don't bother me as much as I thought they would in person.

On a slightly different note, the Star Wars stock they had was very odd - a few of the new sets (loads of IT-Ss), one each of some of TRoS sets, a few Solo sets, and about two dozen Rathtar Escapes which really don't seem popular. They also had a load of Resistance Bombers, but all were the non-Finch Dallow version which I found interesting, so if anyone in the UK thinks they'll be of any value down the line, hit up John Lewis.

18 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

It's weird to me that people are suddenly changing their minds on the Razor Crest when we've had pictures of it from every angle, inside and out and have had video of it for a long time. The reviews show nothing new. Are people actually complaining that a transport ship actually has space to transport stuff?? Overall I think it's remarkably accurate to the show especially for a LEGO set since LEGO so often focuses on the exterior of a ship and neglects the interior. I mean what more would you really want in there? It has a fairly accurate cockpit for the scale, a sleeping compartment, a weapon bay and a carbonite freezing area. There really wasn't much else in the ship to begin with aside from a refresher and I'd rather they didn't waste parts on that. The only complaint I can understand is the reused Mando but I'm hopeful we'll soon get one in full Beskar.

I personally didn't really look at the videos so most of what I've seen where the pictures. But there are a lot of weird gaps, technic pieces are showing in some places, landing gear looks bad and the sides (while being good for play etc) make the whole thing look really flimsy. So yeah, I changed my opinion based on what I've now actually been able to properly see

30 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I agree. We may have a "two different groups of people complaining" situation, but it seems people hate on sets like the IT-S or Turbo Tank for having no space, and hate on the Razor Crest for having all the space. Very few sets hit the balance. But I think the Razor Crest is great, It is supposed to be a converted cargo ship of sorts, so give me that empty space. Adding details is a lot easier than modding out a ton of support structure. I believe that the outsides are the most important part on vehicles detailed interiors are just gravy.

I'd say the new AT-AT is a rare model that balances stability and tons of interior space with a little detail, But they have had 17 years to play around with the initial design of that vehicle. and it took them 5 tries to get a 3 man cockpit.

Edited by Archer

The LEGO TSFKARC sure is NOT the prettiest (especially on the inside), there are already far superior MOCs on the market. But i want the original and weight-wise it seems to be massive with many large pieces, so i'll ignore the "bad" price/piece-ratio and the stickers. To be fair, 12.71 eurocents/piece (Soulless One = 13.67/piece, normal MF = 11.82, Sith TIE = 14.89) isn't really that bad. AND it contains 5 very good minifigs. And i'm sure there'll be plenty of MODs to deal with some of the design issues.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:32 PM, Redroe said:

Ah, I am a confirned minifig buyer, I'll go hunting for figs and pieces of figs all day long. It's how I have carried on the hobby now that I have a family and less personal space/time, and avoided buying large expensive sets (cloud city is the prime example). The reason I resisted the Knights was because I was so disappointed in the sequels. I bought all the TLJ sets (on sale) before seeing the movie, then saw the movie and it really soured my opinion of the sets. I liked the new Kylo's Shuttle set, and liked the look of the Knights figures but I didn't want to get stung again so to this day I haven't bought a TROS set. My TLJ and most TFA sets are going on sale when I find time. And much as I liked Mandalorian, i didn't love it, and these days I really need to love the source material if I am going to make a large investment in it... like Ahsoka from season 7, and the 501st.

Sorry for the essay there, my inner angry fan got control. :laugh:

Well I feel you on that one, few people have the time, space and money to have a complete collection. I did on the other hand buy the CC but skipped the MF and the SD instead. 

I was not too satisfied with the sequels either, but have still bought almost all the minifigures, but very few sets. Have on the other hand decided not to buy anything related to legends, and no rebels or the resistance series sets. Well see how I do with the Mandalorian, if I only go for the figures there or buy the ships. It's always a risk to buy the first set. 

No worries, I've seen people here who write 1000 sentences just in a review over a faceprint, so that was nothing.

BTW, I was apparently wrong in my hypothesis on MoS Eisley leak last weak... nothing. Lego is really doning a better and better job to scare off any potential leakers. 

Edited by Sneakguest

2 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Well I feel you on that one, few people have the time, space and money to have a complete collection. I did on the other hand buy the CC but skipped the MF and the SD instead. 

I was not too satisfied with the sequels either, but have still bought almost all the minifigures, but very few sets. Have on the other hand decided not to buy anything related to legends, and no rebels or the resistance series sets. Well see how I do with the Mandalorian, if I only go for the figures there or buy the ships. It's always a risk to buy the first set. 

No worries, I've seen people here who write 1000 sentences just in a review over a faceprint, so that was nothing.

BTW, I was apparently wrong in my hypothesis on MoS Eisley leak last weak... nothing. Lego is really doning a better and better job to scare off any potential leakers. 

I would personally applaud your call to buy 75222 CC over 75912 and 75252, but that is a matter of personal taste and nostalgia, as 10123 was one of the earliest "big gift" kits that I can remember building with friends of mine as a child. And I haven't touched anything that jumps from what Lucasfilm would call "G Canon" (the films and the TV series), but I do see some nice kits from a design and PpP perspective amongst the waves for Rebels that we got through 2017.

I would concur; TLG corporate is doing an excellent job of scaring off leakers in general, particularly regarding its oldest IP. Infuriating but certainly wise.

49 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

The LEGO TSFKARC sure is NOT the prettiest (especially on the inside), there are already far superior MOCs on the market. But i want the original and weight-wise it seems to be massive with many large pieces, so i'll ignore the "bad" price/piece-ratio and the stickers. To be fair, 12.71 eurocents/piece (Soulless One = 13.67/piece, normal MF = 11.82, Sith TIE = 14.89) isn't really that bad. AND it contains 5 very good minifigs. And i'm sure there'll be plenty of MODs to deal with some of the design issues.

And TSFKARC is an abbrevitation for?

The Ship Formerly Known As The Razor Crest

6 hours ago, Archer said:

I agree. We may have a "two different groups of people complaining" situation, but it seems people hate on sets like the IT-S or Turbo Tank for having no space, and hate on the Razor Crest for having all the space. Very few sets hit the balance. But I think the Razor Crest is great, It is supposed to be a converted cargo ship of sorts, so give me that empty space. Adding details is a lot easier than modding out a ton of support structure. I believe that the outsides are the most important part on vehicles detailed interiors are just gravy.

I'd say the new AT-AT is a rare model that balances stability and tons of interior space with a little detail, But they have had 17 years to play around with the initial design of that vehicle. and it took them 5 tries to get a 3 man cockpit.

I think you might be right in that there are some people complaining with legitimate complaints, and other complaining just to complain like always. (I would add that the IT-S seems to have a fair amount of space.)

I totally agree about the new AT-AT, it perfectly balances stability, space, detail, etc. Only problem is the price...:cry_sad:

8 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I think you misunderstood the interview. The quote was "What I would also say is that the age ratings do not necessarily remain constant. Those characters might appear outside the game in future and you never know what could happen in that event.", which I interpreted as meaning that the characters might appear in something else later with a lower rating which could get Lego sets, not "we will never make those minifigs because they might appear in something with a higher rating later".

You might be right, but that quote was in response to the interviewer pointing out that fallen order's rating isn't any worse than revenge of the sith, alongside the other designer talking about how violent games can be (seriously, fallen order wasn't even as violent as TROS, much less ROTS), leading me to believe that his statement was against fallen order sets showing up.

11 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

I agree there's a reason there that they don't want to tell us. I'm not 100% sure it's related to nintendo as other video game sets have come out in that time/are coming out soon, but I honestly can't think of any other reason they wouldn't want to say. 

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

how violent games can be (seriously, fallen order wasn't even as violent as TROS, much less ROTS),

The most violent SW product is the nominally child-centred Clone Wars in which people are regularly tortured, occasionally to death, but presumably because that's an animated show and less gruesome they get away with it?

My personal feeling toward Razor Crest is it's just another big grey shape, yes it's sizeable and spacious which are both good things but there isn't a lot of wow factor in it. Yeah the source material is a big grey shape. But some big grey shapes (2020 ATAT) have more wow than others (2010 AT AT).

Does anyone agree that it might have looked better entirely in dark bley? The 'real' ship has that quite metallic, aged chome effect so appears a lot darker in most shots than it probably really is. Light BG is too light IMO. I don't care much for patching both shades together as the RC does either.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

Does anyone agree that it might have looked better entirely in dark bley? The 'real' ship has that quite metallic, aged chome effect so appears a lot darker in most shots than it probably really is. Light BG is too light IMO. I don't care much for patching both shades together as the RC does either.

The metal color of the Razor Crest is definitely darker than that of other ships. Still, Lego has a tendency to use light bluish grey for everything made of metal, with few exeptions (e.g. Mandalorian AT-ST). Dark bluish grey could have been a more interesting choice. This unless Lego decides to introduce new colors like bright silver from Mega Construx.

I want to get one big set before I go to uni - should I get the Razor Crest or AT-AT? Empire is my favourite film but I did like the Mandalorian. Seeing the reviews now I'm more inclined towards the AT-AT. What I'm worried about is a scenario like the Ghost, big ship that only gets made once

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

The Razor Crest looks more metallic than most ships I think. Could've included an array of either/or Flat Silver / Pearl Light Grey / Pearl Dark Grey parts. Would've given the ship a really distinct look imo.

Have your TSFKATRC s@h pre-orders been dispatched yet? For mine, it still says „contact customer service“. This has happened for other pre-orders as well like the Mario starter pack (due to some Paypal shenanigans), but in those cases, no further action was necessary :shrug_oh_well: 

14 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Have your TSFKATRC s@h pre-orders been dispatched yet? For mine, it still says „contact customer service“. This has happened for other pre-orders as well like the Mario starter pack (due to some Paypal shenanigans), but in those cases, no further action was necessary :shrug_oh_well: 

I needed to contact LEGO via phone to update payment information as I was told PayPal could not be used for pre-orders since they only charge you when a product ships. And since they are backed up, I was on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a representative. Who knows why they accept PayPal for pre-orders or why there isn't another way to update your payment info online.

I called them on Saturday. Today, it states that the label has been created and that the package should arrive tomorrow.