MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

35 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

In fairness back in '99 would have been yellow rather than the flesh we have now :wink: I do agree though, it's especially bad with white print on darker pieces.

Indeed! White is shocking. The PotC figs from 2011 have great flesh (and white) printing though, if anything the flesh is too dark. Same on the LotR figs. So they have definitely dropped in standard on colour palettes across the board.

I just got a magazine with the new Stormtrooper (new helmet mould) minfigure, and I gotta say, it's better than the last one.

The thing about this new helmet is that it looks really BAD on pictures. It looks oversized and has a weird shaping. 

But when you actually get it in person, it looks so much better, and after comparing it to real Stormteooper images, it's more accurate than the last one.

38 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The thing about this new helmet is that it looks really BAD on pictures. It looks oversized and has a weird shaping. 

Enough said already my friend. It looks exactly the same in hand - truly horrible. At least they had the good sense to go back to the original rebel pilot helmet. I'm surprised they're giving the new mold with the comic mind you - it's obviously more expensive to make than the original.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I just got a magazine with the new Stormtrooper (new helmet mould) minfigure, and I gotta say, it's better than the last one.

But when you actually get it in person, it looks so much better, and after comparing it to real Stormteooper images, it's more accurate than the last one.

I agree. It looks awful in the promo images of the sets it's in, but when you have it in-hand it's not bad.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Just saw the keychain version in person for the first time at the Lego store- I have to agree that it looks much better in your hand than in pictures. 

Man, 501 battlepack or loose figures are everywhere on the second hand market. The good thing is, in a few years, they will be so cheap because everyone bought them now. Their second hand value will probably be close to nothing.

32 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Man, 501 battlepack or loose figures are everywhere on the second hand market. The good thing is, in a few years, they will be so cheap because everyone bought them now. Their second hand value will probably be close to nothing.

They are everywhere cause #$#%& scalpers know that demand is super high.  Ryans and Davids future army videos will inspire thousands of people to match their army or to create better one. Every fan that Ryan gets and people that get into clone wars and prequels later on will want that set. Every brickfair Ryan goes to will have ton of demand for them so he can sign them. Demand will be even bigger when ucs Gunship arrives cause people will want to fill them up and display them with army. Also economies are getting destroyed and people are losing jobs so most people wont be able to hit the exact army building goal they had in mind ( squad, platoon,company,battalion,regiment,legion) and will search to get them later on. 
Just remember how many clone battle packs(8014) from 2008/2009 we all bought and they are still 7.30 dollars each. (7.30 dollars is the cheapest price i found on bricklink where seller has more than 7 of them without any condition problems on them) and they were in 11 sets,this is 1 set only.

Ryan is MandR, and David is ... ? Feels like I ought to know this, but I don't.

38 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

They are everywhere cause #$#%& scalpers know that demand is super high.  Ryans and Davids future army videos will inspire thousands of people to match their army or to create better one. Every fan that Ryan gets and people that get into clone wars and prequels later on will want that set. Every brickfair Ryan goes to will have ton of demand for them so he can sign them. Demand will be even bigger when ucs Gunship arrives cause people will want to fill them up and display them with army. Also economies are getting destroyed and people are losing jobs so most people wont be able to hit the exact army building goal they had in mind ( squad, platoon,company,battalion,regiment,legion) and will search to get them later on. 
Just remember how many clone battle packs(8014) from 2008/2009 we all bought and they are still 7.30 dollars each. (7.30 dollars is the cheapest price i found on bricklink where seller has more than 7 of them without any condition problems on them) and they were in 11 sets,this is 1 set only.

That price you are talking about is new condition, which it basically only will be collectors who sell them. Im of course not talking about collectors, but normal kids and parents who will buy these sets in multinum and then well sell the sets or figures a few years later, sets that sell massivly at the time will sell poorly later (generally speaking). And when it comes to mass-sellers, I often think other sites than bricklink you will find them more easy. Ebay, tradera, blocket or FB groups would probably be better sites to find these sets or figures supercheap. 

47 minutes ago, icm said:

Ryan is MandR, and David is ... ? Feels like I ought to know this, but I don't.

SolidBricksStudios, originally known as legoboy123456789. He's the guy with the largest Lego clone army, and does a very interesting series detailing his massive MOC projects.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

SolidBricksStudios, originally known as legoboy123456789. He's the guy with the largest Lego clone army, and does a very interesting series detailing his massive MOC projects.

Sorry but he does not have the largest clone army out there. 

4 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

I don't know about that, at the end of the day it's still just one set. I could see the figures going for the same amount as the rest of the p2 clones in a few years after the set retires (that is, $12-20 per figure, a bit less if you count the kashyyyk scouts, but they have much less army-building appeal and came in many more sets.). 

I am banking on them not selling out instantly september 1st though, I've got enough VIP points for the copies I want. :grin:

1 hour ago, KevinYoung said:

Sorry but he does not have the largest clone army out there. 

It really doesn't matter. It's just that he's the most well known Lego YouTuber with a ridiculously sized clone army.

New Lego Star Wars Holiday Special coming in November. Photos show a very intriguing Rose in her Rise of Skywalker outfit. Wonder it that figure will be in a future set now that’s it’s been designed :)

778660501_star-wars-lego-holiday-2020-final-frame-2397bfie(1).jpg.56bd606c5325c145535b9117cfb6d68f.jpg

Edited by starwarslotrluvva
Picture fix

I think more likely TROS Rose was designed as part of the Skywalker Saga video game and the Holiday Special is just reusing the same character models from it. Still would be nice if we did get more figures from the film.

3 minutes ago, wesker said:

I think more likely TROS Rose was designed as part of the Skywalker Saga video game and the Holiday Special is just reusing the same character models from it. Still would be nice if we did get more figures from the film.

I feel like the TROS Rose feels like an actual minifigure design. For example, the Guavian Death Gang and Bala-Tik characters in TFA video game looks different than their physical minifigures. I think the minifigure designs TT games uses for video game exclusive characters are different compared to official figures. This looks like an official LEGO minifigure to me unless both companies are just collaborating more for this game.

There has never, at any point, been any correlation between figures appearing in LEGO’s digital media and appearing in sets. People used to say that when LEGO included new models for various animals in their games, too, and there was never any merit to that either.

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

There has never, at any point, been any correlation between figures appearing in LEGO’s digital media and appearing in sets. People used to say that when LEGO included new models for various animals in their games, too, and there was never any merit to that either.

True, I remember people getting excited about bantha's.

9 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

That price you are talking about is new condition, which it basically only will be collectors who sell them. Im of course not talking about collectors, but normal kids and parents who will buy these sets in multinum and then well sell the sets or figures a few years later, sets that sell massivly at the time will sell poorly later (generally speaking). And when it comes to mass-sellers, I often think other sites than bricklink you will find them more easy. Ebay, tradera, blocket or FB groups would probably be better sites to find these sets or figures supercheap. 

Yes you can find anything cheap on ebay if you are lucky and some inexperienced seller is selling it,but that doesnt mean value of the figure is low cause few people got lucky. 
Massively sold 2008/2009 clone wars battle pack is still in high demand and high price. You still need to pay 7$-8$ for 1 or 10$ for 1 for huge purchases. In last 6 months people purchased 5000 of them(not counting set sales) on bricklink  for 8$-10$. (it was 18$ cheaper set and it was in 10 other sets plus battle pack).
501st are exclusive to 1 set,they are super high demand and they will stay that for years to come. And this isnt a set which up and coming army builders and future MandR fans will be satisfied with 1 or 2. This also isnt a set people will give up on and sell so easily after 130 thousand people day and night spammed lego for 2 years. You need 10 x 501st troopers for squad,5 squads make a platoon and 4 platoons make a company with that in mind if you have only 300 serious army builders in entire world and each of them decide to make a company(200 clones) that is 60 thousand troopers and cause you get 3 in 1 battle pack thats already 20 thousand sets. This type of set isnt anything we had before other than 2008/2009 clone set but more expensive and with great backstory.  There is no way figures from this set will ever be cheap.

7 hours ago, starwarslotrluvva said:

New Lego Star Wars Holiday Special coming in November. Photos show a very intriguing Rose in her Rise of Skywalker outfit. Wonder it that figure will be in a future set now that’s it’s been designed :)

This picture also includes Rey. Its interesting that we got same Rey and same whoever this character in green sweater is in advent calendar this year,and i assume vader will wear it too in show. Maybe all character we got in calendar. I wonder will we get some other secret set from that too. Cant wait to see what they do with the special.

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

501st are exclusive to 1 set,they are super high demand and they will stay that for years to come. And this isnt a set which up and coming army builders and future MandR fans will be satisfied with 1 or 2. This also isnt a set people will give up on and sell so easily after 130 thousand people day and night spammed lego for 2 years. You need 10 x 501st troopers for squad,5 squads make a platoon and 4 platoons make a company with that in mind if you have only 300 serious army builders in entire world and each of them decide to make a company(200 clones) that is 60 thousand troopers and cause you get 3 in 1 battle pack thats already 20 thousand sets. This type of set isnt anything we had before other than 2008/2009 clone set but more expensive and with great backstory.  There is no way figures from this set will ever be cheap.

Valid estimation.

This is a topic of its own, and I think I will make a detailed post about it later, but there are different army organizations one can use for Star Wars troopers, and I don't think the real world organization
(squad = 9, platoon = 30, company = 150, battalion ~ 1000, varying between armies but around these numbers) is very useful in relation to Lego. I personally use my own system that has the same organization principle that the bigger units are mostly just multiplications of the smaller ones, but downgraded to a scale that fits the Lego world:

Private = 1
Patrol = 2
Squad = 4 (Sergeant + 3 troopers)
Platoon = 9 (Lietenaunt + 2 squads)
Company = 19 (Captain + 2 platoons)
Battallion = 39 (Major + 2 companies)
Brigade = 79 (Colonel + 2 battallions)
+ supporting personel, e.g. a sniper patrol or other special forces units, a medical squad, artillery and armored units etc.

A brigade with 79 troopers looks already massive in most displays, and if you really want to go far, you can still upgrade to a regiment and division by always multiplying by 2. On the other hand, even a company of 19 troopers makes a nice presence already, and is relatively affordable depending on the type of the trooper, of course.
But like I said, this is definetly a topic of its own.

11 hours ago, starwarslotrluvva said:

I find it hilarious that they're letting lego do a holiday special and very clearly invoking the 1978 special that everyone wants to forget.

As for Rose, it's unlikely that that's a hint for a set or anything, the games and specials usually have tons of new figure designs that never show up, like Boss Nass, the ghost figures, and many others from the games. Even the characters we later end up getting, like Ackbar and 4-LOM, had different designs.

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

This picture also includes Rey. Its interesting that we got same Rey and same whoever this character in green sweater is in advent calendar this year,and i assume vader will wear it too in show. Maybe all character we got in calendar. I wonder will we get some other secret set from that too. Cant wait to see what they do with the special.

The green sweater character is just Poe in a green sweater. I assume it's there partially as a joke, and since it's a lego cartoon it's of course also there to sell the toys. I imagine we'll see most of the 2HY 2020 sets in the special.

18 minutes ago, Samppu said:

Private = 1
Patrol = 2
Squad = 4 (Sergeant + 3 troopers)
Platoon = 9 (Lietenaunt + 2 squads)
Company = 19 (Captain + 2 platoons)
Battallion = 39 (Major + 2 companies)
Brigade = 79 (Colonel + 2 battallions)
+ supporting personel, e.g. a sniper patrol or other special forces units, a medical squad, artillery and armored units etc.

This is a nice scale-down of the army organization that still feels like there's a real presence to any of the groups. I'm 100% using this to organize my troops once I get ahold of some 501st sets.

14 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Well TT tends to design tons of figures just for the games, but as they start work on the games quite a while in advance they do get to see official Lego designs before they are released to the public, IIRC in the first trailer for lego batman 3 we saw Brainiac and a few other characters using their designs from the at the time unknown to the public January 2015 justice league wave. So I think we could see some unseen official figures in the game but only ones from the 2020/2021 winter wave and if they're not seen by then then TT made them up.

6 hours ago, Samppu said:

This is a topic of its own

I agree and you have a great system.
Each army builder should make his own system and scale things down unless he/she plans to get 48 packs for company and 192 for battalion. 
Squad=9 clones plus sergeant
Platoon=4 squads(36 clones) plus lieutenant
Company=4 platoons(144 clones) lead by clone captain
Battalion=4 companies(576 clones) lead by major or clone trooper commander
Sry for off topic.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The green sweater character is just Poe in a green sweater. I assume it's there partially as a joke, and since it's a lego cartoon it's of course also there to sell the toys. I imagine we'll see most of the 2HY 2020 sets in the special.

Thanks i completely forgot his name,i am actually super excited for cartoon. They can do so many interesting things with it.

10 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Yes you can find anything cheap on ebay if you are lucky and some inexperienced seller is selling it,but that doesnt mean value of the figure is low cause few people got lucky. 
Massively sold 2008/2009 clone wars battle pack is still in high demand and high price. You still need to pay 7$-8$ for 1 or 10$ for 1 for huge purchases. In last 6 months people purchased 5000 of them(not counting set sales) on bricklink  for 8$-10$. (it was 18$ cheaper set and it was in 10 other sets plus battle pack).

Sometimes people experience different tvings, but for me I see those clones pretty foten and very cheap. So wouldnt call it few people got lucka. Although I can agree that if you want to armybuild and buy multiple from the same seller, priceS goes up, but that goes for all figures.

we will see in the next couple of years who is right concerning the 501st battlepack.

I was able to find the whole wave at my local Target and nabbed the 501st Legion, AAT and Night Buzzard. I love all 3! The Clone Troopers look amazing, the AT-RT and Barc speeder are nice updates, the AAT is super sold and looks good despite its flaws and I love the Night Buzzard despite its hollowness. I'm honestly really happy with these sets.