MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, I said something to this effect a few pages ago but it applies again here - I don’t work for LEGO so I can’t say this with 100% certainty, but just from a business/marketing perspective, I’m almost positive that they’re not using the sales of UCS sets to determine how to price system scale sets that are 1/10th of the price or less.  They’re appealing to different markets.  People who are going to go out and put down $700-$800 on a UCS ship (which really equates to more like $1,000 if you buy in store due to taxes and the restocking fee that the brand stores charge on large items) are different consumers than those that are buying an $80 playset.  Sure, there’s some overlap between customers, but I seriously doubt that they’re jacking up prices on system sets due to those high priced UCS sets selling well.

This is explained pretty well. I can't imagine lego would be change their prices for normal sets based on UCS sales, as like you said, they are well aware of the major differences between the customers of normal sets and of UCS sets.

35 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

You're conflating two separate things here. Sales of the 501st have nothing to do with whether or not Battle Packs appear in 2021. The 2021 sets were mapped out at least a year ago, long before the 501st set was known to people here, let alone reached shelves, etc.

And, it's not simply "doom and gloom rumors" behind the reports of no $15 battle packs next year — they're not listed on the 1H 2021 price list. This is a pretty reliable indicator of what is and isn't coming in the year to come. It's not definitive, as plans have been known to change, price lists to be inaccurate, etc., especially in the last year. But it's more substantiated than you're allowing.

So there is some real evidence of this happening, but it's not connected to the 501st lego set.

I'm very particular about SW spending lately.  I was very much looking forward to the rumored UCS Shuttle - so much for that one!  Like everyone else, I'm very curious about the Mos Eisley set, but I'm not nearly as excited for it.

I'm now realizing just how much my spending is affected by my enthusiasm for the related films - greatly diminished, in this case.  I'm leaving most of the recent sets warming the shelves.  I'll likely leave the 501st Battle Pack on the shelf as well...if I ever actually see one, that is! :head_back:  Hopefully the UCS Shuttle eventually arrives, or a TIE Bomber in some form.  I'm not a fan of the chunky UCS A-wing.  On the other hand, the revised Kylo's Shuttle was a hit in my opinion - great set.

Either way, my wallet is happily idle these days.

25 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

So there is some real evidence of this happening, but it's not connected to the 501st lego set.

There is evidence, but I think it's premature to call it definitive, especially after the weird stuff that happened in 2020... we saw sets cancelled after appearing the initial price list, other sets added, and more substantial store exclusives than any year since ToysRUs folded. So, anything is possible, even the improbable. 

I have said before and will say again: there are still ways the $15 battle pack could continue. Maybe Walmart picked them up as exclusives. Maybe LEGO moved them the second half of the year, and shifted the set numbers accordingly. Maybe they're just taking a year-long break, given the 501st is already on shelves. But it seems increasingly likely that, if they do continue, they won't do so in exactly the way or at the time we've come to expect.

If there is a connection between the battle packs ending and the 501st set appearing, it would be the reverse of what a lot of people are saying. It's much more likely that LEGO had already decided it was time to transition from the existing battle pack configuration to a larger unit, and just chose the 501st to be the first figs in the new configuration. 

Weighing in on the $15 Battle Pack thing, on one hand, it would suck to lose the best impulse sets Lego Star Wars can offer. On the other, let's be honest, Battle Packs haven't been much to write home about lately anyway. I can name like two or three Battle Packs from the last five years that were really good (RO Imperial Troopers, BF Rebel Alliance, 2017 FO Transport Speeder, 2020 Mandalorians). Not saying any of them have been terrible, far from it, but largely, I feel moving to a larger style set could be a good thing.

If they keep the $15 "Battle Packs" around, I can see them being more squad/character focused. Like Jedi, Delta Squad, Rebel Pilots, etc. The $30 sets could be decent army builders, provided they have a complementary set in another price range (think AAT). For the Clone Wars, this is fairly easy. My question is, how will they expand the idea outside of that. The Empire and First Order would work well at this format, but other factions? Rebels? (maybe comic vehicles) The Naboo? Hutt Family?

There's also the issue of how many figures we'd get with the $30 packs. 6 figures, 2 of which are Battle Droids (which Lego doesn't count but I do), doesn't bode well. I'd imagine they'd keep the standard four figures, with variance if it's a CIS set. I'd prefer five or even a straight six, but this isn't Ninjago.

Another possibility is that Battle Packs may become 2HY releases, or even Spring releases. After all, 2018 did that with the Solo Wave (though there were winter packs, yes). In any case, this could be a good thing, or it could be counterproductive. We'll just have to see.

Imo the LEGO Star Wars sets have become increasingly expensive over the years to the point of it being ridiculous. Because of that most of my interest has since shifted over to other, much more affordable and arguably better, themes but I did always like getting some of the $15 BP's (one of the few SW sets that weren't overpriced). I personally have no interest in $30 battlepacks so I'd be very sad to see the $15 ones go :look:

On 8/8/2020 at 3:26 AM, Kit Figsto said:

Well, you can do the individual mosaics as well (Maul, Vader, and Kylo Ren), but obviously not at the same time as the big Vader.  I do agree that it's expensive but in terms of price per piece it's actually pretty solid, it's just that the pieces are all the 1x1 plates.

Not sure if applying the price per piece on this set is appropriate or accurate since it consists pretty much of 1x1 studs.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, Redroe said:

I'm holding out hope for the battle packs until I see a confirmed set list for next year.

Although really, personally, I think we have seen the golden years of Lego Star Wars and it's diminishing returns from here. Also purely personally... that's kind of OK.

I absolutly agree. For me it is a shame since i have enjoyed seeing my minifigure collection grow year on year. But at the way prices are going I'm not sure I can keep up any longer.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:18 PM, Fuppylodders said:

Unless Mos Eisley is *amazing* and not just because its big and Star Wars... I'm done with SW (well, ill get one 501st BP but thats it). The set prices have become absolutely ridiculous and I'm no longer willing to be mugged off

Generally we tend to get quite a few sales from 3rd party retailers but this year is going to be tough since offers seem to have disappeared (and not just on Lego).

On 8/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, Terrasher said:

Aye aye!

Are you trying to build your post count?

On 8/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, SCREDEYE said:

There are alot of opinions here, some i agree with and some i disagree with.

Whatever your stance, please vote with your wallet.

Amen to that. I have been saying the same for a long time. But sadly it aint going to happen in the consumerist society we live in.

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

Are you trying to build your post count?

Hahahaha, nope. :wink:

Just agreeing with the point of LEGO dropping the ball with Star Wars recently.

It’s definitely a bit disheartening seeing the value you get in original IP sets like Barracuda Bay vs the Tantive IV.   You get 800 more pieces and 2 more Minifigs.  I know piece count isn’t a direct comparison, but that’s significant.  I enjoyed the Tantive IV build even though it’s a bit repetitive due to the ships design, but I was left thinking how much better it could have been with another 200-250 pieces.  

Could the early retirement of Cloud City and Death Star be because they are the last sets with the old (and superior imo) Stormtrooper helmet?

23 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Could the early retirement of Cloud City and Death Star be because they are the last sets with the old (and superior imo) Stormtrooper helmet?

I wouldn't say either is an early retirement, they've both been around for a while now. I'm surprised they've stuck around for this long to be honest.

59 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I wouldn't say either is an early retirement, they've both been around for a while now. I'm surprised they've stuck around for this long to be honest.

2008's Death Star reigned strong for 8 years. The 2016 remix has only been around for 4.

501st Battle Packs are selling so well, it became hard to even get one for yourself :wacko:

I ordered my 501st Battle Pack on August 2nd, but a few days after that they told me that they cannot send me this set, because it has already sold out in their store (this store is one of the biggest and most popular shops in my country).

I ordered it in another store a few days ago, and this time they sent me this set (it's supposed to arrive either today or tomorrow), but it also sold out there - just a few hours after I ordered it there.

This is crazy :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Hmm, the Death Star was never going to last as long as the old one. I thought D2Cs lasted a bit longer than cloud city. Out of curiosity has LEGO ever changed something in a set mid run (aside from the TLJ bomber and small mould changes) like changing the storm trooper design?

Also I've got my 1 501st BP (and Anakin's Interceptor - I got it for £5 off on eBay) to build on results day

51 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

2008's Death Star reigned strong for 8 years. The 2016 remix has only been around for 4.

They're both outliers when it comes to how long sets are on shelves though. If anything I guess it could be to do with LEGO's new adult marketing strategy - maybe they're retiring so they can re-re-release it with the whole 18+ aesthetic. :laugh:

1 hour ago, samsz_3 said:

Out of curiosity has LEGO ever changed something in a set mid run (aside from the TLJ bomber and small mould changes) like changing the storm trooper design?

In 7261 Clone Turbo Tank they switched up the minifigs much more substantially, replacing light-up Windu with the regular version and adding another clone; and in 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer they changed the whole build to strengthen the bottom of the ship midway through the production run (without changing the box, so AFAIK there’s no way to know which one you have without opening it and checking the instructions). There are probably other examples of minor changes, but those are the two most substantial that I know of where the set continued under the same number. 

43 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

6211 Imperial Star Destroyer they changed the whole build to strengthen the bottom of the ship midway through the production run

Did they!!?? Wow. That is quite fundamental. I owned that set and found it incredibly flimsy so I'd love to see some comparative instructions.

8 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Out of curiosity has LEGO ever changed something in a set mid run (aside from the TLJ bomber and small mould changes) like changing the storm trooper design?

The original UCS Death Star was changed mid-run to give the figs pupil eye head prints. Also the First Order TIE was modified to include better supports for the wings.

Edited by jdubbs

Managed to nab two 501st BPs after hunting around local targets.

I found myself enjoying this set much more than I have previous battle packs. The play value is there, and the build value feels much more tangible. I had fun building the walker and speeder, and I found myself swooshing them around a bit.

If we get higher quality builds in $30 army builders, and less officer figures... I'm all for it, honestly. Then again, I'm not a mega army builder by any means. Just two 501st is good enough for me.

Also got the new AAT. Wasn't super thrilled about how they did the Ahsoka figure, but I think it looks pretty great in person.

Got my 501st battle pack and AAT from target today, they had the whole summer wave out on the shelf, Even the mosaic; which isn't something I expected to see there. 

I'm not super thrilled that $15 battle packs might be coming to an end, but like others have said, they've been kinda stale lately. While I would love to see an endless stream of clone battle packs (And droid battle packs, we've had the grand total of one) I understand that might not be practical from a business perspective. Anyways, I'm happy with my 501st battle pack. Hopefully there are more sets like this to come. 

Edit: Just wanna add that a super simple mod can be done for the AT-RT with the extras included in the set. If you aren't too big on the stud shooter cannon like me, you can take out the red stud, and add the black stud and lightsaber handle included as extras. Looks much better in my eyes. 

Edited by arc

Just built my 501st Battle Pack, and I love it.

Minifigures look amazing, I think they are a HUGE improvement over the last ones we got. They look amazing when standing together.

The builds are nicer than I expected. BARC Speeder looks really fine, I love the building techniques they used there. AT-RT is a bit of a wasted potential. Sure, the build is not that bad, but when I look at those perfect customs that people make, it seems like this build is a let down.

11 hours ago, Redroe said:

Did they!!?? Wow. That is quite fundamental. I owned that set and found it incredibly flimsy so I'd love to see some comparative instructions.

Well, OK, saying they changed the whole build was a bit of an exaggeration, LOL. But they added about twenty parts, so it definitely constitutes a proper re-engineering of the bottom section of the set. You can get an idea of the changes from the Bricklink inventory; the pieces listed as 'alternate items' and flagged with #99 are the ones in the redesigned version. The instructions available from LEGO's customer service site are for the redesigned version, which caused me a great deal of consternation when I was trying to rebuild my set before I realized why I didn't have as many pieces as I needed. I don't know if there's a PDF of the original version instruction manual available anywhere--if you want one and can't find it, message me and I'll scan mine.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:39 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

But that's the thing. The cantina is meant to appeal to adult collectors and not the general market.

Not trying to stir the pot on this, but I don't think we're quite understanding each other. I'll try to explain what I'm getting at a bit better.

First, some definitions. When I say adult consumer here, I am referring to adults that buy Lego Star Wars sets but aren't overly invested in the theme. When I say adult collector here, I am referring to adults that buy Lego Star Wars sets but are more invested in the theme than the general consumer and the adult consumer (which is likely an older version of the general/child consumer, but is more invested than the parent consumer who just buys sets for their child (I would also argue that parent consumers aren't technically part of the adult market, but I won't get into that now)). Let's assume that because they are members of the adult market, more of them have the means to purchase a set like the cantina than the average Lego consumers (children).

What I was saying is that out of those in the adult market, the cantina will attract adult collectors but substantially less adult consumers in comparison to sets like the Death Star, which would attract both types of adults. The cantina may be iconic, but it doesn't have the same gravity that most of the other sets of similar size have had in the past when it comes to the entire adult market.

So yes, this set is meant to appeal to adult collectors, but I think we may be overestimating the ratio of adult collectors to adult consumers. I think this set will sell more poorly than the general consensus of this forum due to it appealing to a smaller amount of the adult market than the other MBS-style sets.

As far as the potential demise of the $15 battle pack is concerned, I think it is too far out to tell what is really going on just yet. Hopefully, they stay around, but if they don't, not much of value will be lost. Most of the $15 battle packs in recent memory have been pretty stale and underwhelming. If the $15 battle packs were more interesting sets, I would be more concerned about them being discontinued.

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Just built my 501st Battle Pack, and I love it.

Minifigures look amazing, I think they are a HUGE improvement over the last ones we got. They look amazing when standing together.

The builds are nicer than I expected. BARC Speeder looks really fine, I love the building techniques they used there. AT-RT is a bit of a wasted potential. Sure, the build is not that bad, but when I look at those perfect customs that people make, it seems like this build is a let down.

I'm happy you like them, but I would not call them an improvement. Sure they have more leg printing, but the torso print is inaccurate and just to cartoony. I really which LEGO would have made they the same style as the Utapau Battlepack. Then it would have been nice with the 212th and then the 501st to compleet the set. But LEGO seems to be against making movie accurate 501st troopers for some reason.:sceptic: