MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, n1majneb said:

would be a nice change to see the outrider or the imperial lander

Imperial lander would be a good one actually. More easily scaleable than a Falcon. 

Razor Crest also needs a tan cylinder to park in, though...

10 hours ago, 9v brick master said:

Hey just an opinion should they make more force unleashed and the old republic sets. 

9 hours ago, Ztrip83 said:

Absolutely, KOTOR sets would be awesome. I also hope that we get some Fallen Order sets at some stage, would love a Ninth Sister and Greez minifigure!

This is not the thread for wish-listing. You should post comments like this in the Future Star Wars Sets thread.

Since the summer wave has been out for a bit now, and we've had some release info on the Bespin and Art sets, along with plenty of speculation and discussion on the Cantina/Mos Eisley MBS/UCS set, does anyone have any idea if and when we might start to get leaks regarding a winter wave (which might, in all fairness, end up as the 2021 spring wave)?

16 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think it's a different market, though.  The Death Star, sure (but even then, it's been out a decade, I think most people who really want it have probably got one by now or are no longer interested in it), but the ships and smaller sets are a different targeted consumer altogether.  Very few UCS sets would be an impulse buy, most of them are going to be purchased by collectors who are up-to-date on what LEGO is putting out and plan on buying them before going to the store to get one.  I think occasionally you'll get someone that wanders into the LEGO store browsing at their local mall and decides on a whim to get a UCS set, but people who are putting down $300+ on a LEGO set are different from the people LEGO is targeting with their X-Wings or whatever else.  I don't know if the set will stick around for 12 years like the Death Star, but I think it'll sell.  I mean, the Ewok Village isn't nearly as iconic or well known as the Cantina, and that set stuck around for like 3 years.  This one will have more desirable figures, a more well-known location, and could even attract people who had the Kenner playset as a kid.

It is indeed a different market. Although they take up similar price slots, sets like the Death Star are more generally appealing to most people than the cantina will be. And even though the Ewok Village is probably less iconic than Mos Eisley, it has the benefit of being a scene of a large conflict. Speaking for myself, I am mostly interested in the battles and various vehicles and machines within Star Wars that make war, so even though the Ewok Village is less iconic it would have that edge over the cantina for me and others with similar interests. Also, the Ewok Village came out years ago when this type of set was less common, which may have lead to it selling better than it would have in today's market where there are more options for large playsets. Of course, you'll have a couple of people who wander into the Lego Store and decide to pick up a cantina, but most of the consumers of this set are going to be collectors (like the people on this forum) who know what the set is and are interested in it. You are correct that the smaller vehicles and sets like X-Wings and Jedi Starfighters are targeted towards different people. However, they all sit on the Lego store shelf together, and I think that most of Lego's general consumers would prefer one of those smaller vehicle sets over a $350 "tan shapes with aliens" set for various reasons (vehicles are generally more iconic to general audiences, lower prices, etc.). The cantina will certainly sell to the collectors and those who are attracted to the location, figures, and Kenner toys, but I think it won't have the same pull for the general consumer like a Death Star or Cloud City playset does. I also doubt it will stick around for 12 years.

So to sum it up, I agree that the cantina will appeal to adult collectors, but I doubt it will be able to pull in much of Lego's general consumers due to the nature of the set and the other sets Lego is currently selling. We'll see how it does when it comes out.

1 hour ago, furiothecat said:

Since the summer wave has been out for a bit now, and we've had some release info on the Bespin and Art sets, along with plenty of speculation and discussion on the Cantina/Mos Eisley MBS/UCS set, does anyone have any idea if and when we might start to get leaks regarding a winter wave (which might, in all fairness, end up as the 2021 spring wave)?

Images for the January wave regularly leak towards the end of november (I think on thanksgiving the past two years in a row), so I'd guess that's around when we'd see them. Titles and descriptions have had lots of variance in when they leak, but I would expect some codenames or set numbers to leak pretty soon.

Welcome to eurobricks, by the way!

1 hour ago, MGS6735 said:

So to sum it up, I agree that the cantina will appeal to adult collectors, but I doubt it will be able to pull in much of Lego's general consumers due to the nature of the set and the other sets Lego is currently selling. We'll see how it does when it comes out.

But that's the thing. The cantina is meant to appeal to adult collectors and not the general market.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

So Supreme Leader MandRproductions said he got list of prices and set numbers for January from his leakers and basically confirmed what Jdubbs was hinting at,there is no 2021 january battle packs for 15$ ,Lifebrick studios said it too. (leaks may or may not be true like always) 
Idk what to think of that. If build is good i dont care about 8 minifigures,but if build is inaccurate and imho ugly like at-rt from 501st set i will be deeply disappointed. Decent 2 builds i can  display and decent 5-6 figures are worth more than random speeder and 4 figures of which 1-2 are bad.
What you people think?

Thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking on here for a while now.

Regarding the Cantina, part of the issue is the footprint. The Death Star was pretty self-contained, not taking up an absurd amount of shelfspace while still presenting a large scale of depth. The Ewok village had a slightly larger footprint, and Cloud City was even larger, but Mos Eisley is basically all single-storey, and if they include the cantina, some outside areas and a docking bay, then it's going to be pretty big in terms of shelfspace. While it will make for a good build, it will be a pain to store and display in all likelihood, and unlike big display pieces like the Falcon, ISD or ISSD, it probably won't be much of a looker in that department.

Hence, it is, as has been mentioned, going to primarily be for the avid LSW fans, which should help with availability issues (here's to hoping it isn't sold out and on 60-day back order in the first hour of it going on sale). While I will probably pick one up, it won't be opened until I find a place to display it. 

25 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Images for the January wave regularly leak towards the end of november

Thanks for that. My worry is that we'll get a couple of extra sets leaked that end up being false flags, when they would have actually been really great sets - I remember a couple of years ago (2018 I think) there was a leak that the there would be a new V-19 torrent (this may have turned out to be the Imperial Landing Craft) and a Rebel Transport (from TLJ as they flee down to Crait), though those turned out to be incorrect, so I won't hold my breath when a set list does come our way.

13 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

So Supreme Leader MandRproductions said he got list of prices and set numbers for January from his leakers and basically confirmed what Jdubbs was hinting at,there is no 2021 january battle packs for 15$ ,Lifebrick studios said it too. (leaks may or may not be true like always) 
Idk what to think of that. If build is good i dont care about 8 minifigures,but if build is inaccurate and imho ugly like at-rt from 501st set i will be deeply disappointed. Decent 2 builds i can  display and decent 5-6 figures are worth more than random speeder and 4 figures of which 1-2 are bad.
What you people think?

I'm just curious as to the quality of the figures and builds as well. With 501 we had four great figures and two useless ones, although we can't really use it as a metric because those are battle droids. Previously in BPs, we get one or two "useless" figures, whether they be officers, named Jedi, etc. A $30 BP with six figures would be interesting, but all of them would have to be pretty good and I'm not sure how well they'll sell. For example, a stormtrooper battle pack for $30, four regular troopers and 2 Rebel troopers is significantly worse for Stormtrooper army builders than a $15 one, as they get the same amount they wanted for double the price. I'm curious how well this concept does outside the 501st, which is a hit because of the subject matter, not necessarily the structure of the set/six figure battle format.

48 minutes ago, furiothecat said:

Thanks for that. My worry is that we'll get a couple of extra sets leaked that end up being false flags, when they would have actually been really great sets - I remember a couple of years ago (2018 I think) there was a leak that the there would be a new V-19 torrent (this may have turned out to be the Imperial Landing Craft) and a Rebel Transport (from TLJ as they flee down to Crait), though those turned out to be incorrect, so I won't hold my breath when a set list does come our way.

Those were garbage leaks, which was very obvious from the moment they appeared (at least to those who could set aside their own wants and wishes), as they were riddled with red flags that they were someone's fantasy wishlist. Certain individuals with too much time on their hands do this almost every wave... just treat it all with a grain of salt, and if something sounds too good to be true, it very likely is. Keep your expectations low and you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by jdubbs

8 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

But didn't they also say they would make a super battle droid and 501st ATRT build-able figure?? We even saw preliminary pictures before they were cancelled  

57 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

What you people think?

Well, no matter how much Lego puts prices up or cuts donw on pieces there will still be plenty of suckers who will buy them. No matter how much people whinge an whine they always end up buying in the end.

44 minutes ago, furiothecat said:

Mos Eisley is basically all single-storey, and if they include the cantina, some outside areas and a docking bay, then it's going to be pretty big in terms of shelfspace.

Not necessarily. It could be designed so it is long an dnarrow like the previous Mos Eisley cantina set.

34 minutes ago, legozebra said:

With 501 we had four great figures and two useless ones, although we can't really use it as a metric because those are battle droid

Useless is a strong word. They're useless to "us" as adult collectors who have battle droids dating from (literally) 20 years old. That's older than almost all Lego's target market. Take the phase 1 clone trooper pack from a couple of years ago: two clones! Awesome for us and for the kids. Two cool looking Jedi! Awesome for the kids. Awesome also for us, on the first time. Extra Jedi... um, ebay I guess. 501st battle pack... 4 clones! And, for the kids who might never have got a battle droid, 2 droids to fight. All but the luckiest kids will only ever get one copy of a battle pack.

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

If build is good i dont care about 8 minifigures,but if build is inaccurate and imho ugly like at-rt from 501st set i will be deeply disappointed. Decent 2 builds i can  display and decent 5-6 figures are worth more than random speeder and 4 figures of which 1-2 are bad.
What you people think?

Many of the traditional BPs were not so much army builders, as they were supplements to the main line. The Patrol Trooper pack perfectly supplemented the two Solo Speeders e.g. The "4 identical figures" gold standard was rare anyway.

Thing is, the people who army build are often adults and relatively well-off. Lego knows they would pay double if it is a true army builder people want (501st, OT Stromtroopers). The 15€ BPs are more kid friendly and a good way to get some, not dozens/hundreds, minifigs on a budget. (This why I bought BPs in the early 90ies).

These two kinds of sets can coexist if designed correctly, the 15€ sets being starter or supplementary sets for children and people on a budget, the 30€ for affluent, army building afols.

14 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Useless is a strong word. They're useless to "us" as adult collectors who have battle droids dating from (literally) 20 years old. That's older than almost all Lego's target market. Take the phase 1 clone trooper pack from a couple of years ago: two clones! Awesome for us and for the kids. Two cool looking Jedi! Awesome for the kids.

Indeed. They often bought one, and that's it.

When I was a kid, the army was ready in my imagination rather than in true minifig numbers anyway.

Edited by Flieger

26 minutes ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

But didn't they also say they would make a super battle droid and 501st ATRT build-able figure?? We even saw preliminary pictures before they were cancelled  

Those were real sets but got cancelled before release because the constraction sets were selling poorly.

52 minutes ago, Flieger said:

Thing is, the people who army build are often adults and relatively well-off. Lego knows they would pay double if it is a true army builder people want (501st, OT Stromtroopers). The 15€ BPs are more kid friendly and a good way to get some, not dozens/hundreds, minifigs on a budget. (This why I bought BPs in the early 90ies).

This. AFOLs are a small enough sect of LEGO's market, and army builders are likely an even smaller part of that. I'd be quite upset if the battle packs were canned completely as they are a great way into the hobby, and the only other thing in Star Wars around the same price point is a microfighter or two, and I know which I'd rather have. I won't get too carried away though - it's possible we'll get them in summer instead, and after all it is only a rumour. I am skeptical we'd get 6 figures in a $30 set given we've had a $70 set with half that number, among other things.

1 hour ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

Wait what??? Where can I see these? Sounds dope.

Also, Landino has basically confirmed that $15 BPs are gone for good.

Edited by FeepoGerbin

What happened to that rumour of a buildable Baby Yoda? Was that legit or just MandR trying to gain brownie points again? 

26 minutes ago, FeepoGerbin said:

Also, Landino has basically confirmed that $15 BPs are gone for good.

I think this might be premature. Not showing up in the initial mainline price list is not enough to declare them definitively gone for good. LEGO might just be giving them the year off with  the 501st super-battle-pack on shelves, or they may have become store exclusives (Walmart would be a good fit), or they may have been moved to later in the year. Plenty of weird things happened in 2020 with regard to set numbering, store exclusives, sets being added (and cancelled) late in the game, etc. While it does not look good for battle packs in 2021, I would not pronounce them dead just yet.

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

What happened to that rumour of a buildable Baby Yoda? Was that legit or just MandR trying to gain brownie points again? 

Its indeed legit. Also, MandR has been right with every rumor he's put out this year

Just now, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Its indeed legit. Also, MandR has been right with every rumor he's put out this year

Except the shuttle.... the only one I acted on unfortunately hah

A quick question about set 31200. It says you have to buy 3 of them in order to build the large Darth Vader display. Is that all you can build? I mean 3 sets (£350) for just the large Darth vader? That sounds a bit expensive and excessive doesnt it?

Just now, legolandia said:

A quick question about set 31200. It says you have to buy 3 of them in order to build the large Darth Vader display. Is that all you can build? I mean 3 sets (£350) for just the large Darth vader? That sounds a bit expensive and excessive doesnt it?

Yes.

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

Well, you can do the individual mosaics as well (Maul, Vader, and Kylo Ren), but obviously not at the same time as the big Vader.  I do agree that it's expensive but in terms of price per piece it's actually pretty solid, it's just that the pieces are all the 1x1 plates.

If the 'no battle packs in 2021' thing  is true, I'm going to be really disappointed in Lego. My first ever Lego set was that original ROTS clone trooper battle pack. Getting rid of the small battlepacks while making prices unreasonably high (Grievous starfighter, Final Order TIE) is going to price kids and others out of starting/maintaining Lego Star Wars as a hobby. 

3 hours ago, fsuz32 said:

Except the shuttle.... the only one I acted on unfortunately hah

Is it possible that as some people mentioned the vehicle in Mos Eisley might be an imperial landing craft that got distorted into an imperial shuttle along the leaked chain of information? They're kind of similar... I guess it would also make sense to have an imperial vehicle included to introduce more 'conflict' in the set (like how the scout trooper speederbike was included in Ewok Village).