MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, legolord said:

Thanks for the response, Ryan. If it´s really you, just wanted to mention fan of the channel. 

Following on the cantina, don´t you guys think they could exclude R2D2 and C-3P0 since they appear just a bit on the cantina itself and they could give us 2 more exclusive characters instead?

That is actually him, I believe. Lots of lego youtubers on the forum.

They'll probably still include R2 and Threepio.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Another set that could be made is Yavin.  The main argument against it (and one that I absolutely agreed with) was a lack of playability other than including a TIE fighter.  Mos Eisley, whether it's a Cantina or a collection of buildings, you could stage a battle with Sandtroopers vs. Obi-Wan/Luke/Han/Chewbacca, but there isn't really much direct playability either other than small functions like "Han shoots Greedo" or moving doors, which I assume would also be present in a Yavin set.

I totally agree, we need yavin. Even without play features in the one sense (where even than it could have a midi TIE fighter, x-wing, y-wing with stud shooters and sliding doors, it has play value based on the merit of space to put figures. I think the hanger would provide a ton of play value, with fueling, arming, and launching fighters.

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

TLG did infact make a Yavin playset many years ago (with less than full scale X-wings), but it never left the prototype stage. Wasn't any good, tbh, but that was 15 years ago ..

Same with the UT-AT and some pentaki stuff, I wish they made those into real sets. :sad: I remember seeing it in the visual dictionary as a kid and thought it was pretty cool.

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I totally agree, we need yavin. Even without play features in the one sense (where even than it could have a midi TIE fighter, x-wing, y-wing with stud shooters and sliding doors, it has play value based on the merit of space to put figures. I think the hanger would provide a ton of play value, with fueling, arming, and launching fighters.

And they could always just throw in a Stormtrooper or two and say it's ''slightly based on BFII''

Don’t get me wrong, the playsets are good sets. Assault on Hoth is actually one of my favourite sets of all time. But with both Hoth and Cloud City retiring earlier than expected, as well as the Death Star on the way out, I’m really surprised that LEGO would attempt another playset like this so soon. 

I don’t imagine this set looking very appealing, probably just a box that folds out. Will not be surprised if it ends up being a bunch of pods on hinges like the smaller versions they’ve already made. I wouldn’t put it past LEGO to forego putting a roof on the building just so there’s enough pieces to include another landspeeder.  The figures will be good no doubt, it will be good to get more Biths and the like on the market, but if Ponda Baba is the only new mould that will be very disappointing. Do doubt we’ll be seeing Jawas or Tusken Raiders to pad out the figures. Hopefully the Ithorian and Dewback moulds return. LEGO would have to do something big, like include a Bantha or Owen and Beru to make me want to get it day one. 

Very disappointed that the shuttle rumour didn’t pan out, especially since the source that said that usually gets their info right. That’s one of the best sets LEGO’s ever released and the aftermarket prices are insane.

The 501st BP was up for pre-order on Amazon in the US... for a few minutes before totally selling out. It had a ship date of August 28. I hope this doesn’t mean they won’t be available on launch day at Amazon, if their entire stock was just bought out in pre-orders

this is kinda funny that 501st BP is everywhere running out of stock in day one or day 2. It was the same here in Slovakia. I ordered my one on August 1st and at the end of the day they were gone.

5 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Don’t get me wrong, the playsets are good sets. Assault on Hoth is actually one of my favourite sets of all time. But with both Hoth and Cloud City retiring earlier than expected, as well as the Death Star on the way out, I’m really surprised that LEGO would attempt another playset like this so soon. 

I don’t imagine this set looking very appealing, probably just a box that folds out. Will not be surprised if it ends up being a bunch of pods on hinges like the smaller versions they’ve already made. I wouldn’t put it past LEGO to forego putting a roof on the building just so there’s enough pieces to include another landspeeder.  The figures will be good no doubt, it will be good to get more Biths and the like on the market, but if Ponda Baba is the only new mould that will be very disappointing. Do doubt we’ll be seeing Jawas or Tusken Raiders to pad out the figures. Hopefully the Ithorian and Dewback moulds return. LEGO would have to do something big, like include a Bantha or Owen and Beru to make me want to get it day one. 

Very disappointed that the shuttle rumour didn’t pan out, especially since the source that said that usually gets their info right. That’s one of the best sets LEGO’s ever released and the aftermarket prices are insane.

It seems you are thinking that the set will only consist of the cantina. We have no concrete evidence regarding this, but with the rumored piece-count of 3200+, its way more likely that the set will include some other elements of Mos Eisley than just the cantina. 

This was discussed some pages back.

Either way, I am very much looking forward to this set, and I absolutely love the other SW location-based UCS/MBS sets. 

I’d expect we'll docking bay 94, they couldn’t miss this and I’d expect some filler such as markets and junkyard to fill space 

1 hour ago, n1majneb said:

I’d expect we'll docking bay 94, they couldn’t miss this and I’d expect some filler such as markets and junkyard to fill space 

I am hoping against hope that it has a downscaled Falcon cockpit of some kind which would scale better with the system Falcons. But that's a long shot.

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

I am hoping against hope that it has a downscaled Falcon cockpit of some kind which would scale better with the system Falcons. But that's a long shot.

I'd expect a reduced scale falcon a la death star and Cloud city. There would have to be a ship build surely

2 hours ago, n1majneb said:

There would have to be a ship build surely

Landspeeder. LEGO loves the landspeeder almost as much as they love snowspeeders.

I don't understand how people seem to think we're going to get a big open disc of space with boring sand brick facade around it's circumference which has no real content inside the perimeter buildings, aka, docking bay 94. If people think Hoth sold crap, who's going to buy a big open space with boring walls surrounding it?!

Buy 6 tan baseplates, place one in the middle. Stand the other 5 up on their side around it and you essentially have docking bay 94. Not really exciting in the least.

Edited by Fuppylodders

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

I don't understand how people seem to think we're going to get a big open disc of space with boring sand brick facade around it's circumference which has no real content inside the perimeter buildings, aka, docking bay 94. If people think Hoth sold crap, who's going to buy a big open space with boring walls surrounding it?!

Buy 6 tan baseplates, place one in the middle. Stand the other 5 up on their side around it and you essentially have docking bay 94. Not really exciting in the least.

I don’t think anyone thinks that. They think there’s going to be a midi-scale Falcon associated with the Cantina, like there was a Slave I with Cloud City and Vader’s TIE with the Death Star. I hope they’re wrong, but it isn’t an unreasonable guess based on past patterns with these sets. 

14 hours ago, legozebra said:

The 501st BP was up for pre-order on Amazon in the US... for a few minutes before totally selling out. It had a ship date of August 28. I hope this doesn’t mean they won’t be available on launch day at Amazon, if their entire stock was just bought out in pre-orders

It's certainly one of the most popular sets produced yet, that's for sure. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to get one, seeing as it sold out on amazon in literally minutes. 

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I don't think we will. A quarter or third of a circle I would expect, with a sliding door, maybe some falling bricks play feature, some crates and pipes. They did a flat empty landing platform in Cloud City after all and it looked superb with a midi Slave 1 sat on it. And apart from the cantina, the Mos Eisley we see in ANH consists of streets, a crashed ship and Docking Bay 94. 

That's what I want from the set. Others want different and that's entirely fair.

So many Falcons have been produced that is very likely almost everyone owns (at least) one. If so, it would be enough to have a small section with access to docking bay 94 (but without the whole docking bay), thus allowing those who already own a Falcon to display it close to this set. 

Just now, storskogen said:

So many Falcons have been produced that is very likely almost everyone owns (at least) one. If so, it would be enough to have a small section with access to docking bay 94 (but without the whole docking bay), thus allowing those who already own a Falcon to display it close to this set. 

That's possible. Like the instructions for the Assault on Hoth encouraging everyone to rush out and spend another 100 quid on an AT AT.

Preferably on day one, of course.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's certainly one of the most popular sets produced yet, that's for sure. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to get one, seeing as it sold out on amazon in literally minutes.

Me too. I don't know how easy it will be to get an AAT either, but those are the two sets I'm most interested in.

18 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don’t imagine this set looking very appealing, probably just a box that folds out.

A lot of people here in past discussion have said that the cantina is a very iconic place in Star Wars, which I don't disagree with. However, I do think that the cantina is one of the least interesting iconic locations that Star Wars has to offer. There has been some conflict at the cantina before, but it isn't the sight of a major battle/conflict like most of the other places that have become large playsets (Death Star, Hoth, Cloud City, and even the Ewok Village to some extent). It is basically a tan box like @Brikkyy13 said, and I don't think the possible inclusion of a tan cylinder (like @Fuppylodders said) will make it much more interesting. Lots of the people on here really like the idea of this set, and if you are one of them, good for you. We must remember though that we are the hyper-invested Lego Star Wars fans. I think most consumers will see a $350 tan shapes with aliens set next to any number of other sets that are currently/soon to be out (Poe's X-Wing, Kylo's Shuttle, 501st Battle Pack, The Death Star, etc.) and pick one of the other sets because they are more generally appealing.

5 minutes ago, MGS6735 said:

I don't know how easy it will be to get an AAT either, but those are the two sets I'm most interested in.

501st set and AAT are sold out here (even the 60$ AATs in lego stores),even their preorders are sold out to the point some sites completely had to remove both sets atm. AT-AT is on preorders too and people buying it will get a decent discount. Knights of Ren ship,brickhead and Grievous starfighter not selling already at 17% discount (24% for brickhead) in some stores. I didnt see death star duel or that resistance transport thing at all. According to my friend working in a retail store that micro fighter with zorii bliss inside is worst selling set this year. From those zebra posters only iron man is sold out atm,but star wars one must be doing well cause its only one full price here.

4 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

501st set and AAT are sold out here (even the 60$ AATs in lego stores),even their preorders are sold out to the point some sites completely had to remove both sets atm. AT-AT is on preorders too and people buying it will get a decent discount. Knights of Ren ship,brickhead and Grievous starfighter not selling already at 17% discount (24% for brickhead) in some stores. I didnt see death star duel or that resistance transport thing at all. According to my friend working in a retail store that micro fighter with zorii bliss inside is worst selling set this year. From those zebra posters only iron man is sold out atm,but star wars one must be doing well cause its only one full price here.

First post but long time lurker! I'm not surprised by how well these 501st sets are selling, particularly given lockdown and all. That and the AAT are the only sets I'm planning on getting, and maybe the Knights of Ren ship at a decent discount! 

6 hours ago, MGS6735 said:

I think most consumers will see a $350 tan shapes with aliens set next to any number of other sets that are currently/soon to be out (Poe's X-Wing, Kylo's Shuttle, 501st Battle Pack, The Death Star, etc.) and pick one of the other sets because they are more generally appealing.

I think it's a different market, though.  The Death Star, sure (but even then, it's been out a decade, I think most people who really want it have probably got one by now or are no longer interested in it), but the ships and smaller sets are a different targeted consumer altogether.  Very few UCS sets would be an impulse buy, most of them are going to be purchased by collectors who are up-to-date on what LEGO is putting out and plan on buying them before going to the store to get one.  I think occasionally you'll get someone that wanders into the LEGO store browsing at their local mall and decides on a whim to get a UCS set, but people who are putting down $300+ on a LEGO set are different from the people LEGO is targeting with their X-Wings or whatever else.  I don't know if the set will stick around for 12 years like the Death Star, but I think it'll sell.  I mean, the Ewok Village isn't nearly as iconic or well known as the Cantina, and that set stuck around for like 3 years.  This one will have more desirable figures, a more well-known location, and could even attract people who had the Kenner playset as a kid.

3 hours ago, Ztrip83 said:

First post but long time lurker! I'm not surprised by how well these 501st sets are selling, particularly given lockdown and all. That and the AAT are the only sets I'm planning on getting, and maybe the Knights of Ren ship at a decent discount! 

Welcome to eurobricks! I'm buying the same sets as you, though in different quantities, I'll be going for 3 501st packs and  I'll try to get two AATs, too, and sell off the second Ahsoka.

Edit: I managed to snag two copies of the AAT pre-ordered off amazon, they should arrive september first! 

For any Americans here, THE AAT is back in stock for pre-order on amazon! The 501st set sold out in 15 minutes  (still hasn't been restocked) and the AAT within at least the first day, so make sure to order one ASAP if you want one.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think it's a different market, though.  The Death Star, sure (but even then, it's been out a decade, I think most people who really want it have probably got one by now or are no longer interested in it), but the ships and smaller sets are a different targeted consumer altogether.  Very few UCS sets would be an impulse buy, most of them are going to be purchased by collectors who are up-to-date on what LEGO is putting out and plan on buying them before going to the store to get one.  I think occasionally you'll get someone that wanders into the LEGO store browsing at their local mall and decides on a whim to get a UCS set, but people who are putting down $300+ on a LEGO set are different from the people LEGO is targeting with their X-Wings or whatever else.  I don't know if the set will stick around for 12 years like the Death Star, but I think it'll sell.  I mean, the Ewok Village isn't nearly as iconic or well known as the Cantina, and that set stuck around for like 3 years.  This one will have more desirable figures, a more well-known location, and could even attract people who had the Kenner playset as a kid.

That is a very good point. The UCS sets have the unique aspect in these (at least until recently with the helmets and bespin duel, which is great!), to be made for adults and not children. This means that they can make the "tan shapes with aliens" as @MGS6735 said, because most adults probably would prefer the cantina and possibly other parts of mos eisley with all the unique figures to the sets meant for children.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

To be honest I'm kind of hoping they don't include a micro scaled Falcon. Just feels like a waste of parts to me. If they need to fill a vehicle quota there are better options they can come up with.

2 minutes ago, 9v brick master said:

Hey just an opinion should they make more force unleashed and the old republic sets. 

Absolutely, KOTOR sets would be awesome. I also hope that we get some Fallen Order sets at some stage, would love a Ninth Sister and Greez minifigure!

7 hours ago, wesker said:

To be honest I'm kind of hoping they don't include a micro scaled Falcon. Just feels like a waste of parts to me. If they need to fill a vehicle quota there are better options they can come up with.

would be a nice change to see the outrider or the imperial lander