MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

I can absolutely see the appeal of a huge and detailed cantina, but its not for me. I'd rather see different bits of Mos Eisley with the cantina as one of the major builds (the others being the Falcon and a semi circle docking bay 94, and some smaller connecting parts: other buildings, a beastie etc).

I cannot see that the make only a large cantina build for the same pieces count as Cloud city or more, it's just gonna be to massive that way. But, I would prefer the make just a port which can fit a system scale falcon so they don't have to waste pieces on it and make other buildings instead. 

45 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

It's supposedly a prediction, but the person does state "it probably will be this."
Sounded like a lot of wishlishting, though, if you ask me.

Regards,
Mitch

Prediction without evidence is just wishlist :pir-wink:

36 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I cannot see that the make only a large cantina build for the same pieces count as Cloud city or more, it's just gonna be to massive that way.

Yeah, this makes me think it's more along the lines of Mos Eisley spaceport rather than cantina

I liked Cloud City but it didn't attract me enough to buy it. I don't have that kind of space anymore. That's partly why I would prefer a selection of smaller builds that I can split out and display seperately, if I want. And I can give the Falcon to my nephew so he molests that rather than my own system scale MOC.

The figs will undoubtedly be extortionate on the aftermarket so this will probably be a day 1 purchase if I like the look of it.

6 hours ago, Redroe said:

I am actually all for seeing more ships done smaller and less intensely detailed.

Me too, but the price should be smaller to match.

15 hours ago, Redroe said:

Can't wait to see what Jang has to say about it! 

I am actually all for seeing more ships done smaller and less intensely detailed - but there is a right way and a wrong way. See slave 1 from Cloud City. Fingers crossed that Mos Eisley cantina/spaceport has a Falcon.

I agree but something with the word "transport" in the name should be big enough to do so. The price should reflect that too, its well detailed but way too small and expensive.

I love lego but their recent trends have been pushing me away from the brand.

12 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Me too, but the price should be smaller to match.

Absolutely. I don't want to shell out 90 quid on an X wing.

4 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

I agree but something with the word "transport" in the name should be big enough to do so. The price should reflect that too, its well detailed but way too small and expensive.

They could have called it stealth ship?

I like the size of it. See how everyone went from "that looks good, I am glad they didn't make it huge!" based on the top view to "that looks cr@p!" when they saw its actually just a shell. I wish there was a proper underside and that would make it worth the money. From looking at the pics I can already visualise how I would Mod it, but I shouldn't have to.

5 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

I agree but something with the word "transport" in the name should be big enough to do so.

They kinda shot themselves in the foot by calling it „Knights of Ren Transport Ship” rather than the Night Buzzard :tongue: 

I never got why they rarely use the proper ship names, which are way cooler than the generic terms they use. I mean, a little kid may not know what a “Soulless One” is if you ask them, but when they look a the flashy ship on the box, they immediately know what it is and don’t pay any attention to the name to the side of it :laugh: Maybe it’s not for the kids’ sake but rather for the sake of their non-afficionado parents or retailers so they know what they’re buying / ordering 

Can’t wait for the Invisible Hand, should it ever get made, to be named “Grievous’ command ship” or “Dooku’s flaming coffin” :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

45 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

never got why they rarely use the proper ship names, which are way cooler than the generic terms they use. I mean, a little kid may not know what a “Soulless One” is

I had no idea that the Soulless One had a name until Lego star Wars 3 on xbox :pir-laugh: ironically enough. Most of the "named" ships are prequel era I think? 

If they can do Malevolence (however badly) they can do Invisible Hand. 

At least they don't call the falcon 'Han Solo's Freighter'  or a Tie fighter , an  'Imperial Starship'. :laugh:

Sometimes products are marketed using a more generic name because of trademark issues. I believe this was the case with the Clone Turbo Tank, née Juggernaut.

7 hours ago, Redroe said:

They could have called it stealth ship?

I like the size of it. See how everyone went from "that looks good, I am glad they didn't make it huge!" based on the top view to "that looks cr@p!" when they saw its actually just a shell. From looking at the pics I can already visualise how I would Mod it, but I shouldn't have to.

@Lego-Freak replying to both of you. 

Overreaction are the norm of the vocal part of the Internet. It still looks very good and represent the ships look well but this is basically midi scale at best. Im not asking for accurate scaling,

I just want to shove the six expensive mediocre characters lego knows people will shell money for and this is the ship to do that in. Imagine how well that force awakens stormtrooper transport box wouldve sold if that hollow space was empty technic or if the thing was squished and sold at the same price. Besides the recoloured shuttle, the remaining sets that held the ren figures are just too expensive to justify them, the x wing is decent but not at its price point and lack of side build.

They also call it what it is because its easier for kids to remember or to advertise, "knights of ren transport ship" tells you exactly what it is and your average joe will understand and pick it up but "knife 9" or whatever this space garbage corvette is called is not something most people will remember and is a harder sell since its not descriptive in its name.

I'm seriously wondering if LEGO even knew the Night Buzzard was a spaceship given the complete lack of a cockpit let alone space for "transporting" figures other than a single prisoner. The only possible reason the lack of a cockpit would be remotely excusable is if Lucasfilm only gave LEGO 2 pictures of the ship on Pasaana and didn't even bother to tell them it was a spaceship leading to the designer thinking it was some kind of speeder or hover tank. Given what we know about how other sets were designed for the ST, this probably isn't far off from the truth. I love the Night Buzzard and I think LEGO did a great job on replicating the exterior details and overall shape but the lack of interior and the emptiness of the underside are really frustrating. I'd love to hear what the designer has to say about it. 

19 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

I'm seriously wondering if LEGO even knew the Night Buzzard was a spaceship given the complete lack of a cockpit let alone space for "transporting" figures other than a single prisoner. The only possible reason the lack of a cockpit would be remotely excusable is if Lucasfilm only gave LEGO 2 pictures of the ship on Pasaana and didn't even bother to tell them it was a spaceship leading to the designer thinking it was some kind of speeder or hover tank. Given what we know about how other sets were designed for the ST, this probably isn't far off from the truth. I love the Night Buzzard and I think LEGO did a great job on replicating the exterior details and overall shape but the lack of interior and the emptiness of the underside are really frustrating. I'd love to hear what the designer has to say about it. 

I think you might be onto something there. The TRoS A-Wing, Y-Wing, X-Wing, TIE Dagger, Ren's Shuttle and Falcon sets all have a picture of their respective ship in space on the front on the box and a picture of the ship on solid ground on the back of the box. The Night Buzzard is the only exception to that, with both the front and back showing it hovering over the sand.

12 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I think you might be onto something there. The TRoS A-Wing, Y-Wing, X-Wing, TIE Dagger, Ren's Shuttle and Falcon sets all have a picture of their respective ship in space on the front on the box and a picture of the ship on solid ground on the back of the box. The Night Buzzard is the only exception to that, with both the front and back showing it hovering over the sand.

Yeah I noticed that as well which helped to make me think that they didn't know it was a spaceship. If it's true, I sadly doubt it will ever be corrected as I doubt we'll ever see LEGO make another Night Buzzard unless it features in a Disney+ series or something.

41 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

That actually sounds very plausible.  There's definitely been examples where it seems as though the designers got concept art that either differed from the final vehicle/character/scene in the film, or it was unclear about the actual role that the character/vehicle would play in the final film.  Like, that's the only rational explanation as to why we got the Quadjumper with the first wave of TFA stuff, so this definitely could've been mis-interpreted as something that isn't a spaceship, because it for sure does look like some sort of tank.  I wonder if the concept art or preliminary designs focused mostly on it over Pasanna, so they weren't entirely sure?

3 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

Overreaction are the norm of the vocal part of the Internet. It still looks very good and represent the ships look well but this is basically midi scale at best. Im not asking for accurate scaling,

Totally agree. Its the same point I made but not very well. I don't mind what scale it's at as long as it is a decent toy, which this isn't. Like, I want a Tie and an X wing at compatible scales, but they don't have to be the large, heavy, expensive sets that they have grown into over the last decade.

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

I'm seriously wondering if LEGO even knew the Night Buzzard was a spaceship given the complete lack of a cockpit let alone space for "transporting" figures other than a single prisoner. The only possible reason the lack of a cockpit would be remotely excusable is if Lucasfilm only gave LEGO 2 pictures of the ship on Pasaana and didn't even bother to tell them it was a spaceship leading to the designer thinking it was some kind of speeder or hover tank. 

That is a good insight. It actually lends itself better to being a tank style craft.

40 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

There's definitely been examples where it seems as though the designers got concept art that either differed from the final vehicle/character/scene in the film, or it was unclear about the actual role that the character/vehicle would play in the final film.  Like, that's the only rational explanation as to why we got the Quadjumper with the first wave of TFA stuff

Quadjumper only showed up in summer 2017. They had exhausted the rest of the film by then. Also, the Quadjumper seems extremely popular among adult fans and Afols, like X-wing players, it's built up a bit of a cult around itself so they probably knew that it would be a decent seller. And it has extremely desirable minifigs that up to then hadn't been in a set together (except the Falcon).

3 hours ago, SCREDEYE said:

knife 9

I must now design a ship called the Knife 9 because that is a superb name.

8 minutes ago, Redroe said:

And it has extremely desirable minifigs that up to then hadn't been in a set together (except the Falcon).

Both Rey and Finn had shown up in 3 sets by then so the only ''extremely desirable'' figure in that set is Unkar's Thug, who was a book ''exclusive''

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Both Rey and Finn had shown up in 3 sets by then so the only ''extremely desirable'' figure in that set is Unkar's Thug, who was a book ''exclusive''

Define desirable by perspective: an AFOL wants the obscure background character) but a kid wants a cheap set with Rey, Finn, BB8 and a stormtrooper to fight. Kids care a lot more about the figures than the ship they come in.

.... it annoyed me at the time that the QJ included the thug, who in order to obtain, sucker that I am, I'd already bought a book I cared nothing about. Great fig though.

Edited by Redroe

10 hours ago, Redroe said:Most of the "named" ships are prequel era I think? 

I think it’s more so that the named ships for the OT are named, probably since they’re more iconic due to having been around for 22-28 more years than prequel ships. Someone mentioned the tantive IV, which is a good example. There’s also the slave 1, and given that we get things like “sith tie fighter” and “clone turbo tank”, you could say the correct names of the various TIES and walkers as well.

12 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Define desirable by perspective: an AFOL wants the obscure background character) but a kid wants a cheap set with Rey, Finn, BB8 and a stormtrooper to fight. Kids care a lot more about the figures than the ship they come in.

.... it annoyed me at the time that the QJ included the thug, who in order to obtain, sucker that I am, I'd already bought a book I cared nothing about. Great fig though.

Speak for yourself, I always wanted the ship more than the characters.  Shrug, different strokes for different folks.

1 minute ago, icm said:

Speak for yourself, I always wanted the ship more than the characters.  Shrug, different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, back in the day it was the figs I wanted. I could make up a half decent, if slightly multicoloured X wing from old space sets. But you needed the real deal if you wanted a rebel pilot to fly the thing. Lucky Bricklink hadn't taken off by then or I'd have made my parents' life hell.

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think it’s more so that the named ships for the OT are named, probably since they’re more iconic due to having been around for 22-28 more years than prequel ships. Someone mentioned the tantive IV, which is a good example. There’s also the slave 1, and given that we get things like “sith tie fighter” and “clone turbo tank”, you could say the correct names of the various TIES and walkers as well.

You're right. I think the original, UCS Tantive flew under the name Rebel Blockade Runner, funnily enough. Which sounds much more awesome than Tantive, however you pronounce it.

My perspective was that I could stick any old minifig in the cockpit but I needed the real deal if I wanted the ship to be more than a tiny misshapen multicolored lump ....

9 minutes ago, icm said:

My perspective was that I could stick any old minifig in the cockpit but I needed the real deal if I wanted the ship to be more than a tiny misshapen multicolored lump ....

Flip sides of the same coin!

43 minutes ago, Redroe said:

But through Rey's Speeder and the Finn polybag both characters were quite easy to get so most kids who so desperately wanted to get both would've already had them :sceptic: But there's not really a point to discussing a 3 year old set for no reason so let's end it here :wink:

EDIT: not to mention the fact both were available in the Star Wars Magazines

Edited by Guyon2002