MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

Someone on Instagram is saying the MBS Mos Eisley has 3200+ pieces, retails for 350$, VIP release mid September with general release on October.

Gonna go check when the UCS Star Destroyer was revealed to get an idea of when we could expect official pics for Mos Eisley.

If I'm not mistaken, it was like mid-August when we got official pictures of last year's UCS and Force Friday releases, so I'm thinking if there are those couple of other sets rumored (Child sculpture, Bespin-related thing), we might get a press release around that time?  I hope?

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:
3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The good news: there are plenty of good, sturdy, highly detailed TIE Bomber MOCs out there (enough of them that LEGO really ought to recognize its value to AFOLs, at least) that are comparable to what LEGO would do. And there aren’t any super-desirable minifigs that could only reasonably be packaged with it, which we’ll never see if LEGO doesn’t release its own version of this set. So, LEGO skipping it isn’t the end of the world...

Definitely good news about the MOC's haha and I'm pretty sure LEGO won't be able to make it as nide and detailed as the MOC's since the more detailed ones like to use unconventional techniques. Either way, LEGO just does whatever (mostly) they want and when they want. Still a shame they haven't made one over the past decade... 

14 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

If I'm not mistaken, it was like mid-August when we got official pictures of last year's UCS and Force Friday releases, so I'm thinking if there are those couple of other sets rumored (Child sculpture, Bespin-related thing), we might get a press release around that time?  I hope?

We may see something revealed at SDCC, if not then August is a good bet.

As much as I love LEGO, they did what any other company would do and spent years building up good faith. Now that thats happened, dont be surprised to get similar reactions to their future announcements as with the recent interviews. Its also important to note that the community here is very niche and wouldnt represent the public. Everyone loves LEGO but pricing is a huge issue and not everyone can dump thousands to keep up with their product line.

When is the SDCC event?

I might stick my oar in on the bomber thing. Something I have noticed is: TIE fighters, for all you would think they would fly (no pun intended) off the shelves, always seem to sit at 10-20% off on amazon (Solo TIE, FO TIE, resistance TIE... etc). I'm not saying that this alone is an indicator of market value, it's just where I do my shopping for new sets, but the most desirable sets hold their price pretty well on Amazon (ones with rare figs, big-name ships like the Falcon). I think this ties into the recent comment about complexity of starfighter-size sets, which once were (and still ought to be IMO) the entry-level sets - they have become so large, expensive and complicated that they scare off the most numerous and worst-paid end of the market - i.e. kids. Parents take a lot of talking round before they'll shell out on a set for which an AFOL has already crammed their money under the shop door. So if TLG know that the set is likely to be sold elsewhere for cheaper than they sell it themselves, would they run the risk on a large and detailed TIE? 

Is it possible btw for someone to share a link to this interview? 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:28 AM, 2maxwell said:

The lego designers were working off assets from the later movie and interpreted the color as being blue, especially in comparison to the much less blue gray they had at their disposal at the time

Take a look at the very early SW sets and most have some, er, creative colour choices. Some of it was down to parts availability no doubt, but also they were less interested in accuracy back then and more in colourful and exciting-looking playthings. I do think that they should have shifted to sand blue for the system-scale TIEs a few years ago. It is not a rare colour any more.

7 hours ago, Redroe said:

I do think that they should have shifted to sand blue for the system-scale TIEs a few years ago. It is not a rare colour any more.

Looking at the actual models and ships, the TIES have that sort of sand blue in the OT and the more gray color in rebels, rogue one, solo, etc.

But a sand blue TIE fighter, maybe an anniversary edition or something, would be very cool.

I'm calling "enough" on the TIE-Bomber debate for now. Opinions have been shared. Each is entitled to his own. Let's let it rest for awhile. If you want to have pages of deiscussion more info on the Cantina set will surely be here soon.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm calling "enough" on the TIE-Bomber debate for now. Opinions have been shared. Each is entitled to his own. Let's let it rest for awhile. If you want to have pages of deiscussion more info on the Cantina set will surely be here soon.

I also want to apologize for contributing to it going so far.

18 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

The only company taking real risks right now is Funko, because there's literally a Pop for everything. And they are thriving because of it. Not saying LEGO needs to be Funko, but there's certainly a lesson to take here.

Silly, Lego already tried to be Funko back in 2017 

Brickheadz XD

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but looks like the UCS Death Star and D2C Tantive IV are retiring soon, along with the 20th Slave 1 and a bunch of lesser sets. Get 'em while you can... if you didn't, you know, "buy everything on day one".

Edited by jdubbs
By "soon" I meant this calendar year.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but looks like the UCS Death Star and D2C Tantive IV are retiring soon, along with the 20th Slave 1 and a bunch of lesser sets. Get 'em while you can... if you didn't, you know, "buy everything on day one".

Hopefully the next time they do a Death Star it's a completely new build and not a slightly modified reissue with updated minfigs. 

Edited by TeufelHund

I just had a quick look at Ewok Village, Assault on Hoth, Betrayal at Cloud City and the two Death Star sets, and the only new minifigure mold I've spotted is Han Solo's hair piece from the newer Death Star. 

As those are the closest sets to what a 'UCS' Cantina might be like, the lack of new molds produced for these deluxe sets never struck me before, but as already mentioned the new molds this year have been few and far between (3 KoR, Leia hologram, Jannah's Hair, I think that's about it) I suppose a decent portion of the budget could be held back for the Cantina figures. 

43 minutes ago, Seaber said:

I just had a quick look at Ewok Village, Assault on Hoth, Betrayal at Cloud City and the two Death Star sets, and the only new minifigure mold I've spotted is Han Solo's hair piece from the newer Death Star. 

As those are the closest sets to what a 'UCS' Cantina might be like, the lack of new molds produced for these deluxe sets never struck me before, but as already mentioned the new molds this year have been few and far between (3 KoR, Leia hologram, Jannah's Hair, I think that's about it) I suppose a decent portion of the budget could be held back for the Cantina figures. 

To be fair to the aforementioned, none of those exactly required new molds (save for Bespin Leia, who needed a new hair piece), but you make a good observation.

However, you really can't tell with these things until they're released.

5 hours ago, Seaber said:

I thought a couple of the Ewoks required new molds?

18 minutes ago, elederberg said:

I thought a couple of the Ewoks required new molds?

Nope, all existing moulds :wink: I would remove Ewok Village from that list anyway since it came out a year before the rules regarding new moulds in D2C sets were changed

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Nope, all existing moulds :wink: I would remove Ewok Village from that list anyway since it came out a year before the rules regarding new moulds in D2C sets were changed

While I do agree that Ewok Village shouldn't really be taken into consideration you're technically wrong: Teebo got a new mold. the rest were all reuses or recolors of existing ones. 

EDIT: only just realised Teebo's mold is just Logray's with different colors/printing :tongue:

Edited by Guyon2002

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

Is that really a rule? Is it written somewhere that D2C from now on should not have new molds? No I think you rather mistaken it for a temporary pattern.

23 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Is that really a rule? Is it written somewhere that D2C from now on should not have new molds? No I think you rather mistaken it for a temporary pattern.

I think you misunderstood me :wink: It was the old rule that prevented new moulds from being introduced in D2C sets, which was abolished in 2014 with the release of the Tumbler. Ever since, D2C sets were allowed to feature new and sometimes even exclusive moulds :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

10 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

So what do we think is gonna be included in the cantina and what minifigures? 

There's already been pages of speculation about that. Every character who appeared in the cantina scene has already been brought up, along with some who weren't and were just around Tatooine. At this point we just don't know until we see leaks or an official reveal.

53 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think you misunderstood me :wink: It was the old rule that prevented new moulds from being introduced in D2C sets, which was abolished in 2014 with the release of the Tumbler. Ever since, D2C sets were allowed to feature new and sometimes even exclusive moulds :classic:

Oh, so you meant the opposite, okey, well it's the first time I hear about it and to be quite honest, it doesn't sound like something that would have been a rule, is it written somewhere?