MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

You're really underestimating just how (ridiculously) iconic the Mos Eisley Cantina has become over the years. 

- It's the first time in the entire Star Wars saga where people really realise just how big the SW universe is thanks to the many alien patrons. 

- Many of the aforementioned alien patrons became Kenner toys that fans are really nostalgic for (things like Snaggletooth and Hammerhead). 

- People distinctly remember Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes and the ''cantina song''.

- It's the very first time we see a lightsaber in action. 

- It's one of the most immersive areas we see in the film. 

And last but not least it's very important to remember these UCS/MBS sets aren't as kid-oriented as the normal sets, these things are for the fans. 

You sort of touched on this, but the Ewok Village and Cloud City aren't super "play" oriented either.  They have a few play features (the Carbonite Chamber, for example), but are mostly display oriented, but you could stage a battle or something if you wanted.  I don't see why the Cantina is any different, they could include some Sandtroopers so there's a possibility of staging a battle scene, including the "Han shoot Greedo" feature that every Cantina has come with so far, and call it good.  Most kids aren't spending $350 on something like this, it'd be geared towards adults, especially those nostalgic to this scene, which, again like you said, is arguably the most famous scene in ANH.

My inherent problem with these and the main reason I havent bought these MBS style sets is that theyre hard to display for being display pieces. They tend to have a depth that makes it quite a challenge for me to imagine these fitting on a shelf, and most people don't have a full display room with tables to put these on. The cantina seems like it would be even worse from this perspective than Hoth or Ewok Village. If we get a full or 3/4 cantina build with some bit of street in front, I don't think I have a single surface in my home where I could reasonably put this.

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

My inherent problem with these and the main reason I havent bought these MBS style sets is that theyre hard to display for being display pieces. They tend to have a depth that makes it quite a challenge for me to imagine these fitting on a shelf, and most people don't have a full display room with tables to put these on. The cantina seems like it would be even worse from this perspective than Hoth or Ewok Village. If we get a full or 3/4 cantina build with some bit of street in front, I don't think I have a single surface in my home where I could reasonably put this.

This! ^^^

I think the more variety the better, but I don't see these sets as display models like most vehicles are. Which is why I also have never purchased one, nor plan too. Was definitely looking towards the Shuttle Rumor, but now that it has switched to the Cantina rumor I don't have to worry about it. I am surprised though, based on what seems like tepid reception to  Cloud City? I don't know that to be true, but it seems to be the sentiment on the boards?

30 minutes ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

This! ^^^

I think the more variety the better, but I don't see these sets as display models like most vehicles are. Which is why I also have never purchased one, nor plan too. Was definitely looking towards the Shuttle Rumor, but now that it has switched to the Cantina rumor I don't have to worry about it. I am surprised though, based on what seems like tepid reception to  Cloud City? I don't know that to be true, but it seems to be the sentiment on the boards?

I loved Cloud City, I really wouldn’t change anything about it except a new mold for Leia’s hair. It is kinda hard to display because of its shape but I really like how they used the actual shape of Cloud City so I’m happy with it, and the build was excellent

4 hours ago, catfish said:

A complete cantina is unbelievable for me. It's just 1 movie scene.

A collection of (small) scenes (cantina, market, spaceport) has more play features and is therefor more likely.

The battle of hoth is just a scene, isn't it? 

The cantina is easily the most iconic building in star wars (second most iconic if you count the death star), and although "just 1 movie scene" (and a scene in the mandalorian too), it's such an iconic scene with all those aliens that it makes sense it's getting a set.

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

You sort of touched on this, but the Ewok Village and Cloud City aren't super "play" oriented either.  They have a few play features (the Carbonite Chamber, for example), but are mostly display oriented, but you could stage a battle or something if you wanted.  I don't see why the Cantina is any different, they could include some Sandtroopers so there's a possibility of staging a battle scene, including the "Han shoot Greedo" feature that every Cantina has come with so far, and call it good.  Most kids aren't spending $350 on something like this, it'd be geared towards adults, especially those nostalgic to this scene, which, again like you said, is arguably the most famous scene in ANH.

When I was a kid, I remember staring at the visual dictionary page on the death star, wishing I had it so I could stage a battle. I eventually did get it a few years ago (and feel no shame in admitting that I did, in fact, at least set up the figures as if in battle :laugh:). The death star was the only set of that type around when I was a kid, but just from my experience a cantina set would be a similar thing, like you say, where it's not so much the play features themselves as a place to stage a battle.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high for the background aliens. Realistically I think the primary characters that would likely be included are:

• Main Heroes (Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C-3PO)
  • Sandtroopers - possibly with Dewback
  • Reissues of Greedo, Wuhur, Ithorian (Momaw Nadon) and the Bith Band
  • Doctor Evazan, Ponda Baba and if we're lucky Garindan

Anything beyond that is really a bonus to me.

1 hour ago, wesker said:

I'm not getting my hopes up too high for the background aliens. Realistically I think the primary characters that would likely be included are:

• Main Heroes (Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C-3PO)
  • Sandtroopers - possibly with Dewback
  • Reissues of Greedo, Wuhur, Ithorian (Momaw Nadon) and the Bith Band
  • Doctor Evazan, Ponda Baba and if we're lucky Garindan

Anything beyond that is really a bonus to me.

I think this is the most likely outcome, but if they really wanted too, I can at least see some of the characters that require the least amount of attention. I doubt we'll see Gotals or Devaronians, but I can see Snaggletooth, one of the Duros and a Givin. That would still be pretty cool.

As for the sandtroopers, I hope we get all three pauldrons. A reissue of the Dewback would be welcome also. If they wanted to, they could give us a new creature (Ronto) and two Jawas (can't have a Tatooine set without a Jawa or Tusken, can we?). Obviously, we won't get both, but if we got a Ronto, some of the costs could go into that, making the Cantina slightly smaller, and with the likely sidebuilds (I think the green landspeeder is quite likely to get made over Luke's) the $350 can hit all bases.

if we do get a cantina we better get wolfman even tho he was removed in the special editions..

9 minutes ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

if we do get a cantina we better get wolfman even tho he was removed in the special editions..

There were two different wolfmen in the cantina scene. Lak Sivrak (left) was cut from the Special Editions but Arleil Schous (right) is still present in them. His mask also looks a lot closer to the existing werewolf headpiece than Lak's mask does.

latest?cb=20080318173153350?cb=20080626154133

Just now, wesker said:

There were two different wolfmen in the cantina scene. Lak Sivrak (left) was cut from the Special Editions but Arleil Schous (right) is still present in them. His mask also looks a lot closer to the existing werewolf headpiece than Lak's mask does.

latest?cb=20080318173153350?cb=20080626154133

So youre telling me has a chance. If we did get him as a fig I would love if he had the red eyes

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

You're really underestimating just how (ridiculously) iconic the Mos Eisley Cantina has become over the years. 

- It's the first time in the entire Star Wars saga where people really realise just how big the SW universe is thanks to the many alien patrons. 

- Many of the aforementioned alien patrons became Kenner toys that fans are really nostalgic for (things like Snaggletooth and Hammerhead). 

- People distinctly remember Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes and the ''cantina song''.

- It's the very first time we see a lightsaber in action. 

- It's one of the most immersive areas we see in the film. 

And last but not least it's very important to remember these UCS/MBS sets aren't as kid-oriented as the normal sets, these things are for the fans. 

yep- this. 

Large UCS cantina= instant buy for me. 

7 hours ago, TwoSolitudes said:

yep- this. 

Large UCS cantina= instant buy for me. 

If it just sligthly live up to my expectations, it will be my second instant buy ever for a larger set.

Edited by Sneakguest

12 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I think this is the most likely outcome, but if they really wanted too, I can at least see some of the characters that require the least amount of attention. I doubt we'll see Gotals or Devaronians, but I can see Snaggletooth, one of the Duros and a Givin. That would still be pretty cool.

As for the sandtroopers, I hope we get all three pauldrons. A reissue of the Dewback would be welcome also. If they wanted to, they could give us a new creature (Ronto) and two Jawas (can't have a Tatooine set without a Jawa or Tusken, can we?). Obviously, we won't get both, but if we got a Ronto, some of the costs could go into that, making the Cantina slightly smaller, and with the likely sidebuilds (I think the green landspeeder is quite likely to get made over Luke's) the $350 can hit all bases.

If we get one duros with a new head mold, we'll probably get the other too. That said they did just use a normal figure head on the duros in the rebel battle pack, so they might not get a new mold.

I think two sandtroopers is the most likely outcome, probably with a black pauldron and an orange pauldron. I would love it if they included a Ronto, too.

I just noticed that TLG has already made an Ithorian head mold before. Only shows up in 75051. The Cantina could be a great set for new minifigures and head pieces.

Anyways, this is a much more interesting rumor than a remake of a spaceship we've already had in UCS form.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If we get one duros with a new head mold, we'll probably get the other too. That said they did just use a normal figure head on the duros in the rebel battle pack, so they might not get a new mold.

I think two sandtroopers is the most likely outcome, probably with a black pauldron and an orange pauldron. I would love it if they included a Ronto, too.

I didn't mean for the Duros to get a new head, Cad Bane and the Rebel fighter didn't get one, there's no need really. And the Givin certainly doesn't (though the ghosts from the new Haunted House would make for good customs), I think Snaggletooth (if included) and Ponda Baba are the only real headmolds needed.

2 hours ago, Anio said:

If you want to see my review of 75283 : http://www.techlug.fr/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12158

Lego Star Wars 75283

Thanks for this. I'm really frustrated with that big black section in the center. Based on your picture it looks like the section not including the outcropping that supports the cannon is 4 deep, 2 wide, and 3 tall. Really wish something could be done with that space, but options look limited based on what I'm seeing so far.

21 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The cantina is easily the most iconic building in star wars (second most iconic if you count the death star), and although "just 1 movie scene" (and a scene in the mandalorian too), it's such an iconic scene with all those aliens that it makes sense it's getting a set.

I agree,i am not OT fan,but cantina is super significant and iconic,from the cantina band and their music to solo vs greedo. And they made great backstories like bartender that didnt allow droids in cause his parents were killed by battle droids in cw. Not to mention it was in Mandalorian which is one of the best star wars things we got in past few years. They can make so many cool things like jawa on molded ronto or new molded dewback where even i will get tempted to get it.

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I didn't mean for the Duros to get a new head, Cad Bane and the Rebel fighter didn't get one, there's no need really. And the Givin certainly doesn't (though the ghosts from the new Haunted House would make for good customs), I think Snaggletooth (if included) and Ponda Baba are the only real headmolds needed.

Oh, sorry for misinterpreting. I think a Duros molded head would be nice since their heads are somewhat taller than human heads, but I agree it's not needed for a new figure. Completely agree about the Givin though. I think the Chandra-fan, gotal, Acrona and Talz could use new molds too, but as long as the super iconic ones are there I'll be happy. (Ponda Baba, Snaggletooth, Hammerhead, Evzan.)

Absolute pipe dream, but it'd be amazing if there was a walrusman figure. It's super unlikely because they'll probably just have the accurate ponda baba, but those old kenner toys are so iconic.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I agree,i am not OT fan,but cantina is super significant and iconic,from the cantina band and their music to solo vs greedo. And they made great backstories like bartender that didnt allow droids in cause his parents were killed by battle droids in cw. Not to mention it was in Mandalorian which is one of the best star wars things we got in past few years. They can make so many cool things like jawa on molded ronto or new molded dewback where even i will get tempted to get it.

Yeah, it's a really iconic place in star wars. You're referencing the From a Certain Point of View novel with Wuher's backstory, right? I loved that book, it added so much to the already great A New Hope. I'm glad they're doing one for The Empire Strikes Back and i'm hoping they eventually do ones for the prequels and sequels, too.

I agree a ronto or new dewback would be great, although I'd prefer brick-build to a new mold.

23 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

So youre telling me has a chance. If we did get him as a fig I would love if he had the red eyes

I think its still an incredibly slim chance even with the existing werewolf piece. As mentioned previously I'm not expecting much beyond the primary characters (Greedo, Evazan, Ponda Baba, Wuher, Ithorian, Bith Band and Garindan).

Even if they do go beyond those characters I think there are other patrons that have a stronger chance of being made before the Wolfman such as Snaggletooth, BoShek and the Duros. But if he does get omitted at least the Wolfman will be easy to custom.

8 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Garindan would require a new piece too. Not necessarily a full head mold but at least a neck attachment like the wizard beards to represent his trunk. Unless there's an existing part they can repurpose like the Sky Police oxgyen mask but I'm not sure that one is compatible with the redesigned hood piece.

40 minutes ago, wesker said:

Garindan would require a new piece too. Not necessarily a full head mold but at least a neck attachment like the wizard beards to represent his trunk. Unless there's an existing part they can repurpose like the Sky Police oxgyen mask but I'm not sure that one is compatible with the redesigned hood piece.

I think Garindan is superfluous to a Cantina set, unless of course they give us some extra scenery. In that case, why not make characters like Wioslea?

Of course, he should eventually be made, but maybe as an add-on to the next OT Falcon.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm glad they're doing one for The Empire Strikes Back and i'm hoping they eventually do ones for the prequels and sequels, too.

Hold up, there's an ESB version coming out? How have I missed this?! The original book is one of my favourite Star Wars books.

If we do get them, I'd prefer to see a brick-built dewback and bantha over molded versions but I can see the attraction of both. I do think a bantha would look better being made from bricks given they're a lot less smooth than the dewbacks.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You're referencing the From a Certain Point of View novel with Wuher's backstory, right? I loved that book, it added so much to the already great A New Hope. I'm glad they're doing one for The Empire Strikes Back and i'm hoping they eventually do ones for the prequels and sequels, too.

Yeah book had some really good stuff,but i could definitely go without some of the things like Moff Tarkins sexuality,i am excited for new books but i dont want characters retconned for sjw agenda especially not Dooku,Maul or Vizsla.

45 minutes ago, Anio said:

Thanks for pics,really glad there is a clip for lightsaber.
I dont know why they call him Anakin on the box when by the time of Mustafar scene Sidious already named him Vader.