MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

They made sets based on a freaking theme park ride, the 2002 Clone Wars show, and a Kenner toy, but they don't want to do anything with a massively successful video game. Makes sense.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm surprised no one's brought up the force unleashed set yet. I don't remember the game all that well, but I think it was a fair bit more mature than fallen order. 

Which, by the way, isn't any worse than your average star wars film. I'm guessing that they have some other reason that they don't want to say for some reason.

Very true. I left out the Rogue Shadow since it has been several years since that set released, and things are forever changing within Lego, but it's another point that contradicts them.

3 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I think you missed the point about Fallen Order a bit, they're not saying they won't include those characters in sets if they feel it's relevant, they just don't want to do sets directly based on the game.

Looking at the interview again, I can see that, but would it really kill them to give us a Stinger Mantis? Or, at least go the Battlefront route and give us a character pack? The Mandalorian is a huge success, so they make sets for that, perfectly reasonable, but TCW and Fallen Order (both of which were well received, at least within Star Wars and Video Game fandom) one gets a couple minifigs, the other gets nothing.

2 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

They made sets based on a freaking theme park ride, the 2002 Clone Wars show, and a Kenner toy, but they don't want to do anything with a massively successful video game. Makes sense.

While all those sets are/were great, it's almost like Lego has lost all business sense lately.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

While all those sets are/were great, it's almost like Lego has lost all business sense lately.

Yeah, I think LEGO making those sets and nothing from Fallen Order is less of a "Hey those sets were terrible" and more "Why are we not getting something from a property that's probably more popular than those sources?  I mean, with the Galaxy's Edge, it's at least topical right now (unfortunately I assume it was planned before everything got shut down, so it probably would've been put out right in August, in the height of theme-park season), 2002 Clone Wars has a bit of a cult following and it had a different Ventress figure which was nice, but yeah I have no idea how they made stuff like the Sandspeeder or TIE Crawler (granted that was 13 years ago) but not Fallen Order.  The Sandspeeder was great, but yeah, I'd bet a sizable amount that 99% of people had never, ever seen that before the LEGO toy came out.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

2002 Clone Wars has a bit of a cult following and it had a different Ventress figure which was nice

This kind of undersells it. That show was a huge critical and commercial success at the time. It was by Genndy Tartakovsky, a very famous and respected animator. Anakin's custom starfighter was super iconic.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I have no idea how they made stuff like the Sandspeeder [...] The Sandspeeder was great, but yeah, I'd bet a sizable amount that 99% of people had never, ever seen that before the LEGO toy came out

True, but I actually think that was a pretty interesting set because it's so easy to understand. I'd never seen a sandspeeder prior to the set but as soon as I saw it I was like "oh, its a snowspeeder adapted to a different environment. cool!" I thought that was a great set because it took something super iconic and changed it enough to be interesting but not enough for it to become to foreign to consumers. I assume at least, since I have no idea how it sold.

Anyway, none of that changes that I don't understand why the new game isn't getting sets. I remember when The Force Unleashed came out, there was a ton of hype and fanfare surrounding it. The trailer for it is super famous and I still remember most of it. I admittedly was kind of out of the game scene when Fallen Order was announced; was the hype/marketing on a similar scale?

Man, that Rogue Shadow set was great.

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

I admittedly was kind of out of the game scene when Fallen Order was announced; was the hype/marketing on a similar scale?

I don't think there was a lot of hype outside of the core SW fandoms when it was announced, given what a dumpster fire Battlefront II was on release, even if that game did redeem itself eventually. I do know that even the producers (EA I think?) were surprised at how well it did, apparently they think it exceeded their expectations to the tune of a million or so (!) copies. So while it isn't a 'hype' game, I think Fallen Order has been more of a slow burner in terms of popularity, but that's now getting close to fever pitch.

What have the performances of previous LEGO/SW video game crossovers been like? I know the fact they keep doing them would suggest not bad, but we've only really had Rogue Shadow, the KOTOR sets (which were based on possibly the biggest SW game ever) and the Battlefront II battle pack. Is it a case that they've been bitten one too many times by them? I have seen quite a few of those Inferno Squad battlepacks on eBay...

I concur with many of you, the “rationale” not to produce any JFO sets is weak at best. I wouldn’t be all too surprised if this was a Disney / Lucasfilm mandate as the game sort of came and went (despite being quite excellent!) without any further hype or push, save for Hasbro’s Black Series action figures. 

Obviously this is no longer the past, but I do miss when all new Lucasfilm content would be guaranteed to get Lego coverage to at least some degree, it used to feel fresh. Now it’s very much “Is it even worth producing sets for new XYZ media?” Understandable, I suppose - even if the subsequent reception towards said media is positive.

I am glad we’ll be seeing new Mandalorian sets at least. It’s interesting to get confirmation that the Razorcrest was already in the pipeline whilst the Child was a late addition. Even if next year’s set lineup is due to more “more of the same”, I do at least hope for more new characters and character moulds. 

4 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

I wouldn’t be all too surprised if this was a Disney / Lucasfilm mandate as the game sort of came and went (despite being quite excellent!) without any further hype or push, save for Hasbro’s Black Series action figures. 

Of course, because Disney sabotaging the success of its products makes perfect sense. When in doubt, fall back on that old chestnut, “Blame Disney”.

14 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Of course, because Disney sabotaging the success of its products makes perfect sense. When in doubt, fall back on that old chestnut, “Blame Disney”.

Shhhhh don't speak with such logic or rational arguments. People may lynch you for being a Vulcan ? Us SW fans have to moan and have conspiracy.

Next you'll be saying that ANH was just a rehash of the tried & tested storyline of: Young farm boy meets a wizard and has to rescue the princess from the evil Black Knight in his castle and picks up the usual band of comrades; The Rogue, The muscle & the comedy relief.

Shame on you ?

49 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Not too sure if you've read quotes attributed to JW Rinzler in the last few days, they may change your perspective...

Power plays, politics and plotting are nothing out of the ordinary in big corporations. And if only half the rumours about the situation inside Lucasfilm atm is true, sabotaging each others' merchandising opportunities is about the least I expect. Of course that does not mean that's what happened, but one should be very careful when dismissing one or the other explanation. "Lego/Disney does x, so x must be the very best for business" is a rather simplistic approach anyway.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

Is the idea of internal struggle/corporate sabotage foreign to you? It must be to have such a dismissive attitude. Now, whether or not Disney is the cause, it can't be denied that "poor" business decisions (either intended or by accident) lead to financial failure, and at worst, financial suicide. When George was at the helm, the merch was strong with this one, but even since the Disney deal went down, t-shirts, caps, and plushies went up, but action figures (the core 3.75 in. scale) and Lego sets dropped, if not in rate, then in originality and "freshness". Sure, some good has come from Disney's regime (Rogue One, though unnecessary, The Mandalorian, and even games like Jedi Fallen Order) but it's undeniable that Star Wars merch is all but dead. TROS merch is dead, TLJ and TFA merch is dead, Rogue One and Solo merch got gutted, and Rebels and Resistance merch either died off, or never made it past training. In George's day, a game like Fallen Order would be hyped to hell's end, and if the final product was the same as we know, it would've been a guaranteed success. I mean look at the Force Unleashed games.

If you love the house of mouse, that's fine. But, Disney will only risk guaranteed rewards, which is to say, they play it safe and take no risks.

31 minutes ago, Flieger said:

Power plays, politics and plotting are nothing out of the ordinary in big corporations. And if only half the rumours about the situation inside Lucasfilm atm is true, sabotaging each others' merchandising opportunities is about the least I expect. Of course that does not mean that's what happened, but one should be very careful when dismissing one or the other explanation. "Lego/Disney does x, so x must be the very best for business" is a rather simplistic approach anyway.

This. Something for all of us to remember too is this: even if something's not a huge return profit-wise, even a portion of the fanbase's money is better than no money at all. There are plenty of risky sets that would no doubt be loved by the community, but if you ignore those sets, a potential market goes untapped.

Besides, none of us even knew what the IT-S was before Lego dropped it (okay, most of us didn't know what it was), but a lot of people like it. No doubt the Stinger Mantis (at the absolute least) has more recognition.

1 hour ago, Darth Malgus said:

Not too sure if you've read quotes attributed to JW Rinzler in the last few days, they may change your perspective...

There is a vast difference between cancelling a behind-the-scenes book detailing the ups and downs (and apparently there were a fair number of "downs") of a movie being produced and telling a licensee like LEGO that they can't produce merchandise to support one of Disney's flagship properties. Especially when Hasbro was clearly given no such edict.

20 minutes ago, Flieger said:

Is there some amount of corporate drama? I"m sure. Is it harder for for licensees to deal with Lucasfilm post-Disney? I actually know this to be true, first-hand.

But actively sabotaging one licensee's products over another's? Saying "yes" to Hasbro but "no" to LEGO? When there is no conceivable business reason to do so, even if you try to imagine some kind of nefarious corporate politics at play? This kind of thinking is so illogical it borders on paranoia.

Disney is a corporation, whose guiding principle is to make money. LEGO selling Disney-licensed products makes Disney more money. There is no business reason for Disney to actively thwart LEGO's ability to make money for them. It's not simplistic; it is simple. If you want to blame someone for LEGO ignoring Fallen Order, blame LEGO. The far more plausible explanation is that LEGO just didn't foresee it being the hit that it became, and chose not to support it with sets. (Bear in mind they barely supported Mandalorian out of the gate either, and have never thrown much money at video game tie-ins in the past... a battle pack or so, long after games are released, is the norm).

And while I love the Making Of books that Rinzler wrote this far, you also need to take what Rinzler said with a healthy dose of salt. He's made no secret of the fact that he was unhappy his book was shelved, so it's entirely possible some of this is just sour grapes. 

12 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, I think LEGO making those sets and nothing from Fallen Order is less of a "Hey those sets were terrible" and more "Why are we not getting something from a property that's probably more popular than those sources?  I mean, with the Galaxy's Edge, it's at least topical right now (unfortunately I assume it was planned before everything got shut down, so it probably would've been put out right in August, in the height of theme-park season), 2002 Clone Wars has a bit of a cult following and it had a different Ventress figure which was nice, but yeah I have no idea how they made stuff like the Sandspeeder or TIE Crawler (granted that was 13 years ago) but not Fallen Order.  The Sandspeeder was great, but yeah, I'd bet a sizable amount that 99% of people had never, ever seen that before the LEGO toy came out.

I'd go even further, 99% of star wars fans had never heard of the sandspeeder. I had just from chance, I saw a video on an AT-IC moc that led me down a wikipedia rabbit hole of all the kenner prototypes. Seriously, why make a set based on an unreleased kenner toy?

I'm guessing the battlefront two set didn't sell very well, and that may be part of the reason.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Logic? In this thread? Prepare for the force of a thousand fanboys to beat down on you!

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

LEGO selling Disney-licensed products makes Disney more money. There is no business reason for Disney to actively thwart LEGO's ability to make money for them. It's not simplistic; it is simple.

It is simplistic, because the statement you made is correct but too simple to use as an analytical category. Of course a company wants to make money. That does not mean every decision a company makes is best designed to achieve that goal, otherwise we would never see a business fail. And what's more: people want the money, not an abstract company - people. And people are well capable of putting their own good, or that of their faction, above that of another group, explicitly including the company they work for. Considering the level of power and wealth coming with a Disney executive position, it would be rather naive to assume those people would flawlessly and virtuously do what's best for all the company (and their employees, and their business partners, and their pets), disregarding their own interests and advancements within the company.

There is the possibility that factions within Disney/Lucasfilm have an interest in seeing the merchandise associated with the products a rivalling faction within Disney/Lucas making less money than their own, because that strengthens their positions and weakens that of rival faction. And again, even disregarding the rumours about the Lucasfilm rivalries, this is not uncommon in big corporations if people think they can get away with it.

This may not be sabotage but simple favouritism, like incentivising Lego to do a set based on a theme park thereby cutting other media short. This kind of favouritism fits right within power plays inside a company, and offers a little more nuanced explanations than "they did it, so it must be the best business choice". Companies can do wrong, people can do wrong, and they can do it for many reasons.

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Logic? In this thread? Prepare for the force of a thousand fanboys to beat down on you!

So the people who think Disney and Lego can do no wrong and always make the best business decisions, including the choice of sets, are not the fanboys here? :laugh:

The excuse they gave for not making Fallen Order sets is total BS. I think the real reason is much simpler: Fallen Order was a bigger success than anyone expected including EA and Disney hence why there was hardly any merchandise for it on or after release outside of a couple excellent Black Series figures and some Funko Pops. That, and LEGO has historically been very hesitant to do many sets based on video games --- even their own. It still frustrates me that they've never done sets or figures based on any of TT Games designs or heck LEGO Universe! Given the success of the first game I think it's a little more likely we might see a set based on the sequel.

Edited by ToaDraco

53 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

The excuse they gave for not making Fallen Order sets is total BS. I think the real reason is much simpler: Fallen Order was a bigger success than anyone expected including EA and Disney hence why there was hardly any merchandise for it on or after release outside of a couple excellent Black Series figures and some Funko Pops.

Nail, head, hammer, etc.

Spoiler

I have a few problems with all these Disney/LFL infighting rumours. Firstly, the very fact that they're rumours means anyone can say pretty much any old crap and someone will believe it, and it makes it very hard to tell fact from fiction. The Star Wars fandom can be unbelievably toxic; the amount of vitriol that people like Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy or Kelly Marie Tran get and have got on the internet is nothing short of disgusting, all because some people didn't like a thing a company did. I get that we all feel pretty strongly about this as we're clearly very passionate about Star Wars and LEGO, but these rumours skirt dangerously close to that side of things, IMO. I'm not shilling, but aside from anecdotes from people who have heard about people who have heard about disgruntled LFL employees, there isn't a lot of proof for it.

Secondly, is it too much of a stretch to be optimistic? Is it really outside the realms of imagination to think that the people at Disney/LFL can just make mistakes about the popularity of certain media? The success of Fallen Order has, by and large, been greater than expected, ditto with Mandalorian. Just because they aren't addressing a certain sect of SW media does not immediately mean that there is some nefarious scheme to undermine a company's own product, no matter the department.

As for Disney being safe, it's natural that they would do so having just bought a massive new company as they need some return on their quite considerable investment. That's likely why they were happy to go with TFA being a near carbon copy of ANH as the first big movie back. Now that they've had five years to find their feet, I think we'll see LFL take a few more risks with canon content, especially having seen the unexpected success of Mandalorian and Fallen Order. Assuming that extends to more leniency on the licensed products, which I would wager account for a fair chunk of the profits for Star Wars, then we'll probably see more 'out there' sets from LEGO. I'd love to see a bunch of High Republic sets, for example, as that's being touted as the next big era for Star Wars.

Tl;dr: I'm just gonna focus on the LEGO and Star Wars content I enjoy and not worry about infighting rumours. There's more than enough of both to go around. /endrant

3 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I love new face prints for AT-AT 2020 set.

EDIT to get back on track: me too. Glad to get some variety for troops, even if they are hidden under helmets!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

23 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Is it really outside the realms of imagination to think that the people at Disney/LFL can just make mistakes about the popularity of certain media? The success of Fallen Order has, by and large, been greater than expected, ditto with Mandalorian. Just because they aren't addressing a certain sect of SW media does not immediately mean that there is some nefarious scheme to undermine a company's own product, no matter the department.

Nobody said scheming must be the reason, so let's not fall into extremes which do more harm than good to any discussion. I for one merely reject the idea that everything Lego/Disney/Lucasfilm is doing must be the right business choice by default, and that anyone critizing that choice must be wrong (or worse...) as a consequence. I do believe there is the possibility of something going on in the background - not the certainty, mind you.

Of course, it is possible that everybody was just surprised by the success of Fallen Order and the Mandalorian. In that case we are essentially back at Lego/Disney/Lucasfilm making mistakes. There is nothing inherently wrong with pointing that out, as long as it is done respectfully. On the contrary customer feedback is essential. And as the recent 501st interview has proven, Lego does value afol input to a certain extent.

-

Edited by Flieger

18 minutes ago, Flieger said:

Nobody said scheming must be the reason, so let's not fall into extremes which do more harm than good to any discussion. I for one merely reject the idea that everything Lego/Disney/Lucasfilm is doing must be the right business choice by default, and that anyone critizing that choice must be wrong (or worse...) as a consequence. I do believe there is the possibility of something going on in the background - not the certainty, mind you.

Of course, it is possible that everybody was just surprised by the success of Fallen Order and the Mandalorian. In that case we are essentially back at Lego/Disney/Lucasfilm making mistakes. There is nothing inherently wrong with pointing that out, as long as it is done respectfully. On the contrary customer feedback is essential. And as the recent 501st interview has proven, Lego does value afol input to a certain extent.

I realised I might have come across as a bit vitriolic which is why I hid under spoilers, so point taken. I think they will have some business justification behind most of their choices, but as you say, that doesn't necessarily make it the right choice (whatever we deem that to be).

The influence of AFOLs on LEGO is always something that fascinates me. On the one hand, at the end of the day, LEGO is a kids' toy, and that's who it's mainly marketed towards - fair enough. On the other hand, the massive flagship models are clearly for AFOLs (or kids with very generous parents!), and they tend to be what gets people talking. Then there's the casual adult who just wants something nice to display, which mostly represents untapped potential to sell LEGO.

I think what I'm trying to say is I don't envy the LEGO market research department. :laugh:

I think they didn't do a FO set before its release is because the most logical thing to do is the Mantis, which would be like a $160 set of a ship that has only been in the one game, with Mando, they released the iconic AT-ST, which would sell well with or without the Mandalorian figures and the paintjob it has. Its a very easy set to customize into a classic OT vehicle for fairly cheap, so if the Mandalorian had failed, the set wouldn't have flopped. If they released the Razor Crest last year and the show sucked, that set wouldn't have sold well at all. But as we know, the show was a success, and i wouldn't be suprised if the razor crest is one of the top selling sets this year. Back to FO, the game has been released for nearly a year now and was a hit, so if we get a Mantis it will likely come next year, maybe in January if they started designing right after the game came out. 

49 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The influence of AFOLs on LEGO is always something that fascinates me. On the one hand, at the end of the day, LEGO is a kids' toy, and that's who it's mainly marketed towards - fair enough. On the other hand, the massive flagship models are clearly for AFOLs (or kids with very generous parents!), and they tend to be what gets people talking. Then there's the casual adult who just wants something nice to display, which mostly represents untapped potential to sell LEGO.

I think what I'm trying to say is I don't envy the LEGO market research department. :laugh:

Yeah, that must be a difficult job, especially as both Lego and Star Wars are culturally important (at least here in my country).

Regarding the afol influence... I believe it has increased, even if children are still the main target audience. It will be interesting to see how Lego handles Star Wars without main movies coming up. I mean the Mandalorian, Fallen Order and even the later seasons of TCW are more mature anyway.

The reception of the 501st pack will probably be important for Lego's future decisions. If successful we might see not only more afol stuff but also more PT/TCW. Perhaps that is no coincedence since many children from the 2000s, who grew up with PT/TCW, are adults now and possibly return to Lego in the coming years.

32 minutes ago, Flieger said:

My point was never that Lego/Disney/Lucasfilm could do no wrong. My point was that this "Disney is to blame" explanation — a tired, played-out trope that makes very little sense in this case — has virtually no tangible evidence to support it.... even if you are somehow nimble enough to do the mental gymnastics required to connect Rinzler's comments about his cancelled book to LEGO's lack of a Fallen Order set.

Look at what has come before, in terms of LEGO's support for non-movie media. Bare minimum support for previous video games (2 battle packs for Battlefront; 1 for Battlefront 2 —  a game that was widely panned upon release, hardly instilling LEGO with confidence about JFO). Bare minimum support for Resistance (2 mid-range sets). Abortive support for Rebels half-way into its run. Support for The Mandalorian that lagged well behind other licensees like Hasbro, Funko, etc. Given all that, did anyone here really expect LEGO to embrace Fallen Order with a large-scale set like the Mantis? I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice, but it would have taken a major shift in LEGO's approach to secondary media and a big leap of faith that this game would be substantially better than the last, to do anything larger than a Battle Pack at this point. It's just not what LEGO does. They pick safe sets that are sure-sellers, based predominantly on movies currently playing in cinemas, or failing that, the OT. They do this over and over and over again. It's not because Disney has it in for EA, or hates prequel fans, or dictates to LEGO, YOU MUST DO THIS. It's because that's what has worked for LEGO in the past, and that's what they'll continue to do, until it doesn't.

I am not arguing that "companies can't make mistakes" (of course they do) or "companies aren't risk-averse" (or course they are). I am arguing that the company most likely to be playing it safe, the company most likely to have made the mistakes in these cases, is LEGO... not Disney. You can speculate about "rival factions" and "corporate sabotage" all you want, but logic — backed up by the precedents set by LEGO — makes a much stronger case for LEGO's own decisions being at work here.

Just saw a review of the new AT-AT, and I'm very impressed. As somebody who owns the 2014 version, it seems like a big improvement. Not sure I would buy it since I do still have the previous one, but credit where credit is due :wub:

Also it seems like Angry Clone has indeed met an end, because neither the AT-AT Drivers nor the Snowtroopers use that head. In fact, they finally all have unique heads to each other.

45 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

it would have taken a major shift in LEGO's approach to secondary media and a big leap of faith that this game would be substantially better than the last, to do anything larger than a Battle Pack at this point. It's just not what LEGO does. They pick safe sets that are sure-sellers, based predominantly on movies currently playing in cinemas, or failing that, the OT. They do this over and over and over again.

Apparently Lego did shift their approach to secondary media and did make a big leap of faith this year. They release a top-of-the-line 100€ set with characters that rank as obscure even among die-hard fans, from a medium that hardly warrants the term 'secondary'.

I do have a hard time believing Lego would prioritise it over any Fallen Order/Mandalorian set, however small, without incentives offered by Disney.

26 minutes ago, Willsy said:

Also it seems like Angry Clone has indeed met an end, because neither the AT-AT Drivers nor the Snowtroopers use that head. In fact, they finally all have unique heads to each other.

Oh snap!  Better go buy up all the Angry Clone while I still can, it’s about to be a rare, valuable discontinued collectible :laugh:

In all seriousness though, that’s pretty cool, hopefully that trend continues. 

And in regards to the FO discussion, other than the Rogue Shadow, have we ever had any sets based on a non-movie/TV property put out at the same time as its release?  I think every EU set besides TV shows and the Rogue Shadow have been way after the property was released.  And like people have been saying, it makes sense that they’re moving with caution to push stuff based on new shows/games since it seems like they gambled hard on Rebels and it sort of didn’t work out for them.  You can point to the fact that we’re getting more Mando stuff very quickly (Battle pack, Razor Crest, Brickheadz, and I think it’s probably a really safe bet that we’ll get something this winter), but Mandalorian has a WAY bigger fanbase than Fallen Order.  Non-SW fans watch or talk about Mandalorian, they aren’t really doing that with FO.