MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

14 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

On a slightly different note, I find myself drawn more and more to the DSII Final Duel rehash. As an owner of the original 2015 iteration, the new updates to the set itself in addition to Vader’s arm printing are neat. Whilst it’s not the “prettiest” set, it’s one of the most substantial location-based Star Wars sets I can think of. I’d love to see more location sets with this approach and less like Battle on Takodana / Battle on Scarif / Encounter on Jakku (lower price points aside and the fact that these sets had their own merits). 

My thoughts as well. I'm thinking of holding out a little longer in the hope that LEGO release that Vader variant in another set since I already have the first Final Duel set but I am liking the updated one more and more. I do miss the larger location based sets. Jabba's Palace, Battle of Endor, Home One etc.

Price is in large part set by demand. The social media campaign to get the 501st BP was a bunch of fans basically getting on their hands and knees begging Lego to let them buy their product. Of course they were going to set a premium on it.

2 hours ago, 2maxwell said:

Price is in large part set by demand. The social media campaign to get the 501st BP was a bunch of fans basically getting on their hands and knees begging Lego to let them buy their product. Of course they were going to set a premium on it.

I think 30$ bigger 501st set is better cause i doubt we would get 4 clones in battle pack,they would throw in anakin or officers or battle droids and you would have to buy 2 for 4 of them for 30$ anyway. At least now we get 2 relevant vehicles and 2 battle droids. 

I will be strategic with this set and wait for January rumors before i buy multiples of 501st set for 30$ each and then regret it when LEGO decides to make ahsokas battle pack or mauls mandalorians for 15$. And if all battle packs suck for next year i can just get 501st sets on sale for 25$. 

8 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I agree that it is a really weird statement considering that Lego clearly does make battle packs of obscure factions, and that clone factions have been the basis of many battle packs - Geonosis Troopers, Utapau Troopers, Kashyyyk Troopers to name a minority. This one is essentially a 501st rehash of 8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack and 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack. It's almost like they're trying to hype themselves up to those who only casually know Lego Star Wars by making it seem like they really went out of their way to make this set, because for us more hardcore fans that statement certainly is a head scratcher. Very odd. ?

Like I said, they've merged two battle packs into one with the builds, but included two less figures. It's almost as though they're saying 'Here you can have your damn battle pack, but it's gonna cost you.' ?

This^

They know the adult demand is there, and kids don't really buy too many multiples of a set anyway, even if it's a battle pack, so by making it $30, they increase profit. And I can't really blame them, they made a set based on a campaign by a minority of their fans, of course they're going to try to max out profit.

38 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I will be strategic with this set and wait for January rumors before i buy multiples of 501st set for 30$ each and then regret it when LEGO decides to make ahsokas battle pack or mauls mandalorians for 15$. And if all battle packs suck for next year i can just get 501st sets on sale for 25$. 

I don't know that this set will go on sale anytime soon after release, I'm assuming this is going to make the mandalorian battle pack look like a shelfwarmer. 

32 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't know that this set will go on sale anytime soon after release, I'm assuming this is going to make the mandalorian battle pack look like a shelfwarmer. 

Dont even remind me,took me 3 months to get 2 mandalorian battle packs.

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's already on sale a month before release :laugh_hard:

Looks like TLG might have something planned for the virtual SDCC as an illustrator (Dan Veesenmeyerwill be selling commissioned posters depicting the Mando + Baby Yoda minifigs during the event (plus a Spider-man poster). Of course that doesn’t necessarily signify a massive presence of theirs, but at least it bodes well for the reveal of a 2021 set :excited: 

(Credits go to @Legocity2713 over in the Marvel thread)

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Looks like TLG might have something planned for the virtual SDCC as an illustrator (Dan Veesenmeyerwill be selling commissioned posters depicting the Mando + Baby Yoda minifigs during the event (plus a Spider-man poster). Of course that doesn’t necessarily signify a massive presence of theirs, but at least it bodes well for the reveal of a 2021 set :excited: 

(Credits go to @Legocity2713 over in the Marvel thread)

Unless it’s been delayed, Mandalorian S2 is set for October. Probably enough time for LEGO to do a Winter 2021 set based on season 2. (Though they could and should still do the folding-wing TIE from S1. I want a little LEGO Darksaber!)

Just now, Fenghuang0296 said:

Unless it’s been delayed, Mandalorian S2 is set for October. Probably enough time for LEGO to do a Winter 2021 set based on season 2. (Though they could and should still do the folding-wing TIE from S1. I want a little LEGO Darksaber!)

There won't be a delay, I lost count of how many people involved with the project have confirmed that.

I find the excuse that they made the 501st set $30 so they could have battle droids and another vehicle hilarious. Also, unpopular opinion, but I feel like ManR should've gotten to do the interview instead. No matter what you think of him, you can't deny he basically made this set happen.

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's already on sale a month before release :laugh_hard:

I meant on sale like they discount the price, i was quoting someone who said they would buy some for $25 once the winter sets leaked.

18 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Dont even remind me,took me 3 months to get 2 mandalorian battle packs.

I went on the lego site the morning they came out and it was already out of stock, I was only able to find them on the target store website and they took weeks to arrive.

Not making the same mistake again, I'll get up at 6am if I have to :laugh:.

11 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I meant on sale like they discount the price, i was quoting someone who said they would buy some for $25 once the winter sets leaked.

I know and that's what I meant. Here in the Netherlands you can already preorder it with a discount, 23 euro instead of 35 I believe.

Anyone know what color Ahsoka's lightsabers are in the new AAT set? Are they trans light blue or trans medium blue like her appearance in the rebels set?

17 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

Anyone know what color Ahsoka's lightsabers are in the new AAT set? Are they trans light blue or trans medium blue like her appearance in the rebels set?

It's difficult to tell but looking at the images of her and then the images of blue lightsaber-wielding characters from the wave like grievous and rey, it seems to be the trans light blue.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I know and that's what I meant. Here in the Netherlands you can already preorder it with a discount, 23 euro instead of 35 I believe.

Nice! That's what, 66% of the full price?

Also what store is this, and can I buy from it in the US? :laugh:

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Nice! That's what, 66% of the full price?

Also what store is this, and can I buy from it in the US? :laugh:

Yeah it's around 30-35%. They don't ship internationally though, just here in the Netherlands. I would've definetely bought it if I cared for the set but I don't :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

I find the excuse that they made the 501st set $30 so they could have battle droids and another vehicle hilarious. Also, unpopular opinion, but I feel like ManR should've gotten to do the interview instead. No matter what you think of him, you can't deny he basically made this set happen.

I agree we only got the set cause of Ryan and he should do the interview. I am not making excuse for that i am just saying LEGO wants to milk this as much as they can thats why its 30$ cause we forced them to make it and it will be high demand and people will want to army build. I also find hilarious that someone thinks LEGO would give us 501st battle pack for 15$ and that it would include 4 clones,it would have random named characters or droids and you would be forced to buy 2 for 4 clones and spend 30 $ anyway,at least this at-rt and barc speeder are relevant and not random battle pack throw in.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I agree we only got the set cause of Ryan and he should do the interview. I am not making excuse for that i am just saying LEGO wants to milk this as much as they can thats why its 30$ cause we forced them to make it and it will be high demand and people will want to army build. I also find hilarious that someone thinks LEGO would give us 501st battle pack for 15$ and that it would include 4 clones,it would have random named characters or droids and you would be forced to buy 2 for 4 clones and spend 30 $ anyway,at least this at-rt and barc speeder are relevant and not random battle pack throw in.

Why is the idea of a $15 battle pack having 4 501st clones "hilarious"? There's only been 3 battle packs with named characters so far, with only 1 being half army building and half named characters like you suggested, and the last time there was a battle pack with opposing factions was 2013.

34 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Why is the idea of a $15 battle pack having 4 501st clones "hilarious"? There's only been 3 battle packs with named characters so far, with only 1 being half army building and half named characters like you suggested, and the last time there was a battle pack with opposing factions was 2013.

Sith Troopers Battle Pack. Nuff said.

Okay, to be less facetious, the only battle packs that straight up had 3-4 of the same figures are (not counting droids: Imperial Dropship (both versions), Rebel Scout Speeder, Clone Walker (The Commander's gear is removable), Mandalorians (Death Watch), Imperial Troop Transport, and that's pretty much it. The rest are either split 50/50 troop as to the troop type, or only have 2 repeats with 2 unique troopers.

So we were never getting 3-4 501st privates with maybe a Jet or ARF Trooper for $15.

4 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Okay, to be less facetious, the only battle packs that straight up had 3-4 of the same figures are (not counting droids: Imperial Dropship (both versions), Rebel Scout Speeder, Clone Walker (The Commander's gear is removable), Mandalorians (Death Watch), Imperial Troop Transport, and that's pretty much it. The rest are either split 50/50 troop as to the troop type, or only have 2 repeats with 2 unique troopers.

So we were never getting 3-4 501st privates with maybe a Jet or ARF Trooper for $15.

I am reluctant to wade into this debate because it seems utterly, completely pointless, but your logic here escapes me. You start by listing not one, not two, but SIX examples of battle packs where we got 3-4 of the same figure — hardly what anyone would call an aberration, or even uncommon — and then proceed to claim we were "never" getting 3-4 501st figs in a $15 battle pack. The premise of your argument literally disproves your conclusion.

We were never going to get 3-4 in a $15 set because Lego would be dumb to throw away money when fans have been literally begging for the chance to buy this lol.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

I am reluctant to wade into this debate because it seems utterly, completely pointless, but your logic here escapes me. You start by listing not one, not two, but SIX examples of battle packs where we got 3-4 of the same figure — hardly what anyone would call an aberration, or even uncommon — and then proceed to claim we were "never" getting 3-4 501st figs in a $15 battle pack. The premise of your argument literally disproves your conclusion.

Also, sets like Geonosis Troopers or Utapau Troopers were very clearly one legion of clones (I know the Geonosis one was disliked by some but the point stands) even if they weren’t 4 identical figures.  Despite the fact that we got both airborne and ground variations of clones, you can’t tell me that the Utapau one wasn’t a 212th Battle Pack.  

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I was thinking a similar thing. I could easily see this set without the AT-RT and battle droids releasing for $15, we've gotten tons of battle packs with the same figures before.

Either lego was smart and decided to capitalize on the hype by making it a bigger set, the designers just already had a $30 price point to work with, or both.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Sith Troopers Battle Pack. Nuff said.

Although I echo @jdubbs's sentiment that this is a pointless debate, In addition to all the ones you mentioned, I'll add the senate commandos set and Infearno squad set as two other example of sets with 3 identical troopers. When you other six examples are added, as well as the ones with 3 or more of the same droid, you've got 10 sets. Then you have to think about sets where the faction's troopers are all different, like the 2015 and 2016 rebel battle packs and the sets where there's only a minor difference between two identical troopers and a third trooper like the hoth rebel or 2015 resistance battle packs. There are also several clone legion battle packs (also some imperial ones) with 2 different types of two troopers each; the geonosis, kashyyyk, and utapau battle packs. (as @Kit Figsto said, there's no way that utapau battle pack isn't a 212th battle pack). And the battle packs with different factions are very outdated; besides the tatooine "battle pack" we haven't had one with different factions since 2013 with the old republic battle pack and clones v droidikas battle pack. 

So yeah, there's a possibility were it to have been a $15 battle pack that it could have been two privates and two jet troopers, or two privates, a jet trooper, and an ARF trooper. Would anyone really have complained (knowing this site, yes, but they probably complained about the current one too)

The main thing, though, is that the one that is actually releasing is a $30 set with some extra stuff, so this whole thing is pointless.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

According to Brickset, we've had 38 battle packs over the last 13 years. 7 of which have included all identical or nearly all-identical figures (more like 10 if you count the droids and Inferno Squad). 7/38 is not the majority. It's quite the minority. The point I made was that most battle packs only include 2 "standard" troopers. Most people don't want a bunch of extra classes, like Airbornes, ARFs, Jet Troopers, what have you. Those figures aren't a problem, but we're talking about a $15 Battle Pack with 4 (identical) 501st clones. It wasn't happening. Thankfully, we got 3 normal 501st troopers and a Jet trooper, but at a cost of an additional $15.

This isn't arguing, it's literally a statement of fact.

52 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, sets like Geonosis Troopers or Utapau Troopers were very clearly one legion of clones (I know the Geonosis one was disliked by some but the point stands) even if they weren’t 4 identical figures.  Despite the fact that we got both airborne and ground variations of clones, you can’t tell me that the Utapau one wasn’t a 212th Battle Pack.  

But you admit that the figures are split 50/50, which is the point I made. There was no chance of getting 4 standard 501st troopers without paying at least $30, if not more (see the infamous First Order Battle Pack). That doesn't mean Utapau Troopers was "not a 212th Battle Pack", that wasn't anyone's contention. However, it does show that even packs with one unit represented divides the lineup into the standard and special classes. And no one needs an even split between the 212th standard and Airbornes.

That doesn't make any of the 50/50 split packs terrible by any means. Or even battle packs with entirely individual troops, but it is clearly a pattern.

Tl;dr: 7/38 Battle Packs had 3-4 of the same, wholly identical figure (with the ITT technically being two types with the heads, but that's not worth splitting hairs over).

19 of the remaining 31 had 2 identical figures, about 6 of which were split 50/50.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Although I echo @jdubbs's sentiment that this is a pointless debate, In addition to all the ones you mentioned, I'll add the senate commandos set and Infearno squad set as two other example of sets with 3 identical troopers. When you other six examples are added, as well as the ones with 3 or more of the same droid, you've got 10 sets. Then you have to think about sets where the faction's troopers are all different, like the 2015 and 2016 rebel battle packs and the sets where there's only a minor difference between two identical troopers and a third trooper like the hoth rebel or 2015 resistance battle packs. There are also several clone legion battle packs (also some imperial ones) with 2 different types of two troopers each; the geonosis, kashyyyk, and utapau battle packs. (as @Kit Figsto said, there's no way that utapau battle pack isn't a 212th battle pack). And the battle packs with different factions are very outdated; besides the tatooine "battle pack" we haven't had one with different factions since 2013 with the old republic battle pack and clones v droidikas battle pack. 

All three of you sadly missed the point I was making. Here's the post I replied to:

3 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Why is the idea of a $15 battle pack having 4 501st clones "hilarious"?

And I've clearly established a ratio which makes my point clear. I'm not saying other battle packs don't qualify as faction specific, or anything else wild like that. My actual point, is that the idea of 4 all identical 501st clones for a $15 battle pack, at this point, was highly, highly unrealistic. That is all.