MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Trying not to get my hopes up but... ANOTHER set this year!

Please forgive me for speculating, but if that quote is in reference to a particular scene, and we don't know for sure what the d2c is other than it's priced at $350...

I know for a fact I'd be first in line to preorder that if this means what I think it might.

Anyway, mosaics - I think this line has a lot of potential and the response seems to be generally positive towards both the Star Wars one and the other ones as well.  Pretty genius on LEGO's part to entice you to buy multiples, especially for this one and the Beatles one (I mean, people are going to want to display all four Beatles for sure, and the 3-part Vader mosaic looks amazing). 

I would bet if this sells well, another great 3-in-1 that we'd probably see eventually is a Clone/Stormtrooper/FO Stormtrooper, since it's literally the same colors.  I could see them maybe figuring out a way to do R2-D2, C-3PO and BB-8 in the same mural, too.  It'd be tough since there's not a lot of overlap in terms of colors, but they managed to do it pretty well for this one even though Maul has way more red than Vader or Kylo.

Edited by Kit Figsto

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

Please forgive me for speculating, but if that quote is in reference to a particular scene, and we don't know for sure what the d2c is other than it's priced at $350...

I know for a fact I'd be first in line to preorder that if this means what I think it might.

Anyway, mosaics - I think this line has a lot of potential and the response seems to be generally positive towards both the Star Wars one and the other ones as well.  Pretty genius on LEGO's part to entice you to buy multiples, especially for this one and the Beatles one (I mean, people are going to want to display all four Beatles for sure, and the 3-part Vader mosaic looks amazing). 

I would bet if this sells well, another great 3-in-1 that we'd probably see eventually is a Clone/Stormtrooper/FO Stormtrooper, since it's literally the same colors.  I could see them maybe figuring out a way to do R2-D2, C-3PO and BB-8 in the same mural, too.  It'd be tough since there's not a lot of overlap in terms of colors, but they managed to do it pretty well for this one even though Maul has way more red than Vader or Kylo.

Oh yeah, I know it's the cantina scene where ben slices Ponda Baba's arm off, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too much. Between the celebration exclusive, rumored $40 set, and possibly this, there's a whole mini wave we might see. The other idea, that the shuttle rumors were false and it's the cantina, would be even better, that'd be an amazing set.

Mosaic wise I was thinking p1 clone p2 clone, stormtrooper, FO stormtrooper could work, too.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Oh yeah, I know it's the cantina scene where ben slices Ponda Baba's arm off, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too much. Between the celebration exclusive, rumored $40 set, and possibly this, there's a whole mini wave we might see. The other idea, that the shuttle rumors were false and it's the cantina, would be even better, that'd be an amazing set.

I'm a little bit confused still about the celebration thing vs. the $40 set, because it seems like they may or may not be the same thing, I guess it's best to wait and see.  I guess it's been, what 3 years since we had a Cantina?  And the last one was a retail exclusive too, but the thing that seems odd is if there is something here pertaining to a cantina, we already knew of the other two retail exclusives in system scale, so I feel like a third one would've come out with them.  

I can never say no to another Cantina set, especially one that's potentially based on the Doctor Evazan/Ponda Baba scene. As long as it can deliver on both characters rather than just one or the other I'll be happy.

A large d2c cantina would be amazing, especially if it was heavy on the figures. There are so many great, obscure alien characters that would be great to get in such a set like Momaw Nadon! 

If this Cantina set is true then... :D 

I can imagine Lego doing something along the MBS series - assuming that's still a thing, like hoth/cloud city with the main Cantina building and smaller side builds like the falcon/jabba scene, maybe a dewback or bantha, a landspeeder etc. More excited for different aliens minifigs though.

10 hours ago, wesker said:

I can never say no to another Cantina set, especially one that's potentially based on the Doctor Evazan/Ponda Baba scene. As long as it can deliver on both characters rather than just one or the other I'll be happy.

Excuse me where comes this cantina rumor from?

2 hours ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

Excuse me where comes this cantina rumor from?

Renown (who I believe is a reliable leaker) quoted a line from the cantina scene a page back, so now everyone's thinking there will be a cantina set in the near future.

The cantina quote is pretty clear but I’m not sure how people took it and ran with “the fall UCS is the Cantina”. I’ll never complain about a Cantina remake, but I don't think it’s UCS/MBS worthy quite honestly 

46 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The cantina quote is pretty clear but I’m not sure how people took it and ran with “the fall UCS is the Cantina”. I’ll never complain about a Cantina remake, but I don't think it’s UCS/MBS worthy quite honestly 

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say we're gonna get a "mini-wave" as has been suggested, but the Fall UCS will be the Shuttle, we'll get the $40/Con-Exclusive set (either the same or different, which is beyond confusing), and another "surprise" set a la IT-S, AKA the Cantina.

10 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say we're gonna get a "mini-wave" as has been suggested, but the Fall UCS will be the Shuttle, we'll get the $40/Con-Exclusive set (either the same or different, which is beyond confusing), and another "surprise" set a la IT-S, AKA the Cantina.

Yeah the Cantina being MBS/UCS was probably wishful thinking on my part, I was just thinking since we hadn't heard any noise about the d2c lately and it's getting to within a month or so of when we'd probably start to get actual details on it.  I can dream...

Guess we'll just have to wait (and I agree it's really confusing about whether or not the $40 set that probably has something to do with Bespin is the same as the other set that was going to be a Celebration exclusive).  Hopefully everything will become clear soon!

Also, I don't remember any year with this many unexpected sets that seem to keep popping up out of nowhere.  We had the Razor Crest, The Child sculpture, IT-S, the convention set/$40 thing, assuming those are the same thing, and possibly something in reference to the Cantina too.  You could even throw in the 501st set since we initially thought that was just some sort of BARC and yet LEGO revealed it four months early.  

Edited by Kit Figsto

59 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The UCS the only other set we know is coming this year besides the 40th anniversary set that may or may not have been a convention exclusive, so either another set is coming or it's the MBS. Could go either way.

9 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'd actually be more excited about the mini-wave, especially if it had a little cantina build with Ponda Baba and Evazan.

I could see the cantina set being one of two things personally. Ponda Baba, Dr Evezan, Luke and mayber Wuher, all with the bar and the gubbins behind it, would be a pretty neat exclusive. But equally I could also see them being Brickheadz of Ponda and Evezan; wasn't last year's exclusive a pair of Brickheadz as well? Where did the $40 rumour for that come from?

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah the Cantina being MBS/UCS was probably wishful thinking on my part, I was just thinking since we hadn't heard any noise about the d2c lately and it's getting to within a month or so of when we'd probably start to get actual details on it.  I can dream...

Don't forget we did get the Imperial Shuttle remake rumor just a few weeks ago. I'm more inclined to believe that one being the next UCS than the Cantina. Plus there's the issue of Star Wars D2C sets not getting new molds like other themes do which is kind of necessary for Ponda Baba to happen.

A small set on the scale of 2018's Cantina that's part of a mini wave with the Luke/Vader Bespin Duel just seems more plausible to me.

7 minutes ago, wesker said:

Plus there's the issue of Star Wars D2C sets not getting new molds like other themes do which is kind of necessary for Ponda Baba to happen.

Plenty of Star Wars D2Cs get new molds. 

15 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Plenty of Star Wars D2Cs get new molds. 

From my recollection they don't. Minifigures in Star Wars UCS and MBS sets have always used existing parts. Whenever a character required a new piece it was usually introduced through another theme or set first such as Leia's Ewok Village hairpiece on the CMF Forest Maiden.

3 minutes ago, wesker said:

From my recollection they don't. Minifigures in Star Wars UCS and MBS sets have always used existing parts. Whenever a character required a new piece it was usually introduced through another theme or set first such as Leia's Ewok Village hairpiece on the CMF Forest Maiden.

A-Wing, X-Wing, and Slave 1 all included new canopy molds, off the top of my head. I'm sure there were others. A new mold is a new mold. Costs the same to LEGO whether it comes in the form of a minifig part or elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

A-Wing, X-Wing, and Slave 1 all included new canopy molds, off the top of my head. I'm sure there were others. A new mold is a new mold. Costs the same to LEGO whether it comes in the form of a minifig part or elsewhere.

Absolutely not. Mold costs go up based on complexity. There is a difference between creating a mold that punches out rectangle shapes and a mold that punches a complex head with fine details. It requires more design time, and manufacturing each mold die is far more expensive with complex shapes.

Source: im an engineer that has worked in designing molds.

Edited by SCREDEYE

Does anyone else REALLY think we need an updated Jabba’s Palace Luke? He didn’t come in the most recent Jabba’s Palace or Desert Skiff and hasn’t been seen since the Rancor Pit. I doubt we’ll get another Palace anytime soon but I would take another remake of the Skiff just for that figure. Since it’s one of those sets that seems to be remade every few years, I hope that could happen soon. If, after the advent calendar, we get anymore ANH Tatooine Lukes before we get a Jabba’s Palace Luke, I’ll scream

I know we love our leakers, and everyone here is grateful that the people who have information choose to share it here, but I don't think I'm the first on this forum, and maybe not even the first in this thread, to remark that cryptic hints aren't particularly useful. They're frustrating for everyone involved and they inevitably lead to misinformation being spread, as it is here already with a page of discussion on a cantina set that none of us knows anything about.

14 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

Absolutely not. Mold costs go up bssed on complexity. There is a difference between creating a mold that punches out rectangle shapes and a mold that punches a complex head with fine details. It requires more design time, and manufacturing each mold die is far more expensive with complex shapes.

Source: im an engineer that has worked in designing molds.

The initial tooling costs may be more, yes. But my point is they both affect the set’s budget. And a hairpiece can easily be reused dozens of times over, juatifying that expense over years and years, versus a specialized part like the Slave 1 canopy which has, to date, only been used in one other set I believe? If that?

Just because something hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t happen ever. It just means it hasn’t happened yet

18 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The initial tooling costs may be more, yes. But my point is they both affect the set’s budget. And a hairpiece can easily be reused dozens of times over, juatifying that expense over years and years, versus a specialized part like the Slave 1 canopy which has, to date, only been used in one other set I believe? If that?

Just because something hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t happen ever. It just means it hasn’t happened yet

You're contradicting yourself and missing the point. The initial coats go up substantially based on mold complexity, it isnt a 10$ vs 100$ deal, it costs time, money, testing, tolerances and accounting for errors which complex molds eat up more of all these factors and more money, both of which are huge project restraints with quality ( legos key selling standards btw, their bricks are the most consistently tolerances products in the world made in bulk, I did my thesis on manufacturing and alternate ways of producing bricks and its not cheap maintaining that consistency with a generic 2x4 brick).

A complex alien head mold is not only far more expensive but doesn't get reused over and over. You also need to account for making multiple die as a single die has a given lifespan before it needs to be replaced.

The other posters are also right, lego doesn't give star wars the theme as many new molds or pieces as other themes and prices sets very unevenly (don't give me the disney tax excuse, lego knows star wars sells at the prices they hike)

Edited by SCREDEYE

34 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I know we love our leakers, and everyone here is grateful that the people who have information choose to share it here, but I don't think I'm the first on this forum, and maybe not even the first in this thread, to remark that cryptic hints aren't particularly useful. They're frustrating for everyone involved and they inevitably lead to misinformation being spread, as it is here already with a page of discussion on a cantina set that none of us knows anything about.

Not to mention that half the time they’re not even hints, they’re just comments that people take the wrong way. I won’t be surprised if the original commenter comes back in a week just to say that they never hinted at a cantina set.  

10 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

You're contradicting yourself and missing the point. The initial coats go up substantially based on mold complexity, it isnt a 10$ vs 100$ deal, it costs time, money, testing, tolerances and accounting for errors which complex molds eat up more of all these factors and more money, both of which are huge project restraints with quality ( legos key selling standards btw, their bricks are the most consistently tolerances products in the world made in bulk, I did my thesis on manufacturing and alternate ways of producing bricks and its not cheap maintaining that consistency with a generic 2x4 brick).

A complex alien head mold is not only far more expensive but doesn't get reused over and over. You also need to account for making multiple die as a single die has a given lifespan before it needs to be replaced.

The other posters are also right, lego doesn't give star wars the theme as many new molds or pieces as other themes and prices sets very unevenly (don't give me the disney tax excuse, lego knows star wars sells at the prices they hike)

I'm not contradicting myself. I'm saying that (all) new molds cost money — more than reusing an existing mold — and the fact that there haven't been new molds of a certain type in Star Wars D2C sets in the past doesn't mean there can't be, ever. People love to look at what's come before and dream up new "rules" for what can and cannot happen in the future... deciding that because they haven't seen new minifig molds in a Star Wars D2C thus far, it must therefore be because LEGO (or, if you really want to get wackadoo, Disney) won't let them. While that might conceivably be the case (well, not the Disney part), it's just as likely that it hasn't happened yet because it hasn't needed to happen yet.

Are new minifig molds expensive? No doubt. But they also appear in lots and lots of Star Wars sets, at all price points — from the $40 Pasana Speeder to the $160 Millennium Falcon — so if you're trying to say that the development costs are so incredibly, prohibitively high that they can't be included in a $200+ set, well, I don't see much evidence to support that. And, while there may be special costs associated with minifig molds, there are other costs specific to molds like canopies, such as needing to actually be compatible with System (interlocking with a bazillion different other parts, versus slipping over a torso neck), having to work in translucent plastics, etc. 

Finally, if you actually tally the new molds the Star Wars line got each of the last 3-4 years — admittedly, with the exception of  2020 — it's been more than other comparable lines like Marvel or DC Superheroes... so I don't think Star Wars fans have the best standing to cry poverty in this regard.

36 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Not to mention that half the time they’re not even hints, they’re just comments that people take the wrong way. I won’t be surprised if the original commenter comes back in a week just to say that they never hinted at a cantina set.  

He didn't hint at a Cantina set. He hinted at a Cantina minifig. A fig that could show up in any number of different ways... A polybag gift-with-purchase. An exclusive pack-in for a DK book, or a video game. A $40 Cantina bar set. A $350 Cantina D2C. A ComicCon exclusive clamshell minifig. Hell, even a CMF. 

56 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

He didn't hint at a Cantina set. He hinted at a Cantina minifig. A fig that could show up in any number of different ways... A polybag gift-with-purchase. An exclusive pack-in for a DK book, or a video game. A $40 Cantina bar set. A $350 Cantina D2C. A ComicCon exclusive clamshell minifig. Hell, even a CMF. 

Look at the top posts on this page, though--everyone there is talking about a new rumored cantina set. That's exactly the problem with cryptic hints; people take them to mean more than they say because they don't say anything useful.