MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Leaked images for the Iron Man mosaic have come out. It's a 3 in 1 for 3 different looks of Iron Man suits. Seeing as we've had rumors of the SW mosaic either being Vader or Maul, is it possible they could both be options? I'm not sure because the colours are quite different.

I could see them giving Vader a red tint, but even then I agree that Maul is too colourful for that. Mind you, if that was the case you could probably make the third one Kylo Ren with his repaired mask, which would be pretty sweet.

15 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I could see them giving Vader a red tint, but even then I agree that Maul is too colourful for that. Mind you, if that was the case you could probably make the third one Kylo Ren with his repaired mask, which would be pretty sweet.

That is indeed the case: https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-art-mosaike/

As with the Iron Man set, you can combine three copies of this set for a fourth motive :laugh:

Whoever came up with the idea to use 1x1 studs rather than 1x1 plates deserves a round of applause, this makes things so much less painful :thumbup:

Edited by Lego-Freak

28 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

As with the Iron Man set, you can combine three copies of this set for a fourth motive :laugh:

Wahey, called it! :laugh:

They look better than I was expecting, going with the round tiles instead of standard 1x1 plates gives it quite a unique look. Not sure why they gave some sets tiles and these two plates though.

EDIT - just seen each set comes with a bespoke soundtrack! I presume this will be a podcast similar to what the Bugatti Chiron had?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

The new mosaics have been revealed and I have to say, as someone who had no interest in this theme before, they have exceeded my expectation. I can see many adults who don't generally buy Lego going for these: the price isn't too extortionate and as wall art they won't take up as much space as a set that needs horizontal space for display. The confusion over whether it was Maul or Vader clearly came from the fact that you can build either Maul, Vader or Kylo from one set or purchase three copies to build a bigger picture of Vader. They all look really good though in my opinion. I won't be buying any, but I think Lego has done well with this and whilst I initially was sceptical about them releasing these, they have done fantastic job in my opinion.

Can we also take a moment to appreciate the beauty of that new black brick separator. *oh2*

Edited by BacktoBricks

These are awesome. Vader is definitely my favourite out of those 3, but my gosh, that ultimate portrait. Pure perfection. 

25 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

These are awesome. Vader is definitely my favourite out of those 3, but my gosh, that ultimate portrait. Pure perfection. 

Just saw this. A masterpiece 

Between this, the regular Star Wars wave, the remaining Marvel sets and the Mario theme, August is going to be CRAZY expensive *huh* I usually get everything I want on day 1, but I can‘t invest into 6 copies of the Sith and Iron Man sets each plus 4 copies each of the other two, as much as I want to :tongue: Time to spread things out a bit...

It‘s like TLG suddenly decided they don‘t want just our money, they want ALL of our money :head_back:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Whoever came up with the idea to use 1x1 studs rather than 1x1 plates deserves a round of applause, this makes things so much less painful :thumbup:

The aesthetic it gets from the studs looks cool too.

I really want the large vader mosic, but I can't spend $360 in addition to everything else. It's a good price, but I just can't afford getting that along with the razor crest and CW sets.

55 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

That is a thicc (4 wide) brick seperator

Why aren't more people talking about this? :laugh:

2 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

That is a thicc (4 wide) brick separator

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Why aren't more people talking about this? :laugh:

All in favour of re-naming it the Thicc Separator? :laugh:

I'm already excited thinking of the ways people could include that in MOCs. The small orange one seems to be relatively popular for those.

These are so much better than I expected. Gorgeous, even. 

And all the variations - genius move by Lego.  

Probably couldn't afford them though, so that's me out unfortunately. Maybe one day... 

It looks like the Vader mosaic is the same size as the others. I don't understand how three of them combine to make the Vader? Or is it made out of extra pieces from 3 sets?

Edited by karmajay

Signed poster by Ray Park with certificate is 60-90 bucks why would i buy this instead of that for 120? LEGO should put more effort in their sets before trying to compete with poster, helmet,funko pop and action figure sellers. I would rather have a big set and a 5 dollar poster than just this. I dont understand why no one thinks this way.

34 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Signed poster by Ray Park with certificate is 60-90 bucks why would i buy this instead of that for 120? LEGO should put more effort in their sets before trying to compete with poster, helmet,funko pop and action figure sellers. I would rather have a big set and a 5 dollar poster than just this. I dont understand why no one thinks this way.

A Lego-mosaic is a genius idea. I'd like a signed collectible as much as the next fan, but this not only gives us multiple options (Maul, Vader, and Vader the II), but is also, guess what? LEGO! You can use the studs/plates for whatever you want! Besides, these look undeniably excellent.

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering! Suffering leads to the Dark Side. :yoda:

47 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I've said it a few times before, but I think this is another one of these sets that are for people who aren't into LEGO. People like us who frequent LEGO forums are not the target market here. I won't be buying one, even if I do think they look pretty great.

I won't be getting one although I think they look really good - a lot better than expected. I think using circular tiles/studs is better than squares because it's easier to take them off and no alignment issues (infinite rotational symmetry, unless like me you like the LEGO logo on the studs all to be pointing the same way!)

My issue with the circles however is dust accumulating in the small gaps between each cluster of 4. It might be quite hard to brush out, and hoovering over small pieces is an absolute no. I guess it won't be much worse than normally displaying LEGO but it might bother the non AFOLs that these are targeted at...

That Darth Vader mosaic looks gorgeous. I really hope both these and the helmet lines continue. 

Edited by Tariq j

7 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Leaked images for the Iron Man mosaic have come out. It's a 3 in 1 for 3 different looks of Iron Man suits. Seeing as we've had rumors of the SW mosaic either being Vader or Maul, is it possible they could both be options? I'm not sure because the colours are quite different.

You can make 1 at a time. So with the SW one you can make Maul, Vader, or Kylo Ren. And if you get 3x of the set you can make the Ultimate Vader. 

These look way better than I expected! I love that they give you multiple options for display and it's a pleasant surprise that we have the option to choose Vader, Maul or Kylo, or even to combine 3 of them into one big Vader! If these weren't so expensive I'd want to buy 6! As it is though, I'll be lucky if I get one, what with all the great(and expensive) sets were getting later this year.

3 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

All in favour of re-naming it the Thicc Separator? :laugh:

I'm already excited thinking of the ways people could include that in MOCs. The small orange one seems to be relatively popular for those.

I second that. Thicc separator is hilarious.

3 hours ago, karmajay said:

It looks like the Vader mosaic is the same size as the others. I don't understand how three of them combine to make the Vader? Or is it made out of extra pieces from 3 sets?

There's two. The one of vader's helmet only is made from one of the sets. There's a larger one of more of vader that's mader from the parts of 3 sith sets.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

What would you be wanting the mosiac to do differently? 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Plenty of people don't care about props, posters, signatures etc. That's like asking people why people don't buy models of star wars ships instead of Lego ones. This is a great alternative for me people that like Lego.

21 hours ago, jcn said:

I'm a little confused at what happened there. I mean he could have just been trolling making up the info but the chances of it all being exactly correct are so slim that I doubt it. As far as I'm aware Brickfair was cancelled this year so what could he have meant? I should be able to find the actual post if people are interested, since I actually commented calling him out for spreading fake rumours (oops).

It's possible that the person had information, but the figures in this wave were also pretty guess-able.  The only sets that we weren't certain of the figures for at that point were Anakin's fighter (very, very easy to deduce who was coming with it), the AAT, and Greivous' ship (and we already knew for a fact it had 3 figures and that the third was a clone that wasn't Cody, so people had already correctly speculated it could be an Airborne trooper).  Even the Ahsoka trooper, while a bit unexpected, wasn't too difficult to just correctly guess, since it doesn't need any new molds and is relevant right now.  It also begs the question, why not come out with this information way earlier when we had almost zero info to go on about the minifigures or whatever that were included?  I don't think any of the Toy Fairs that did happen this year actually had SW stuff on display, otherwise we would've had way more information earlier on in the year, so I'm also a bit confused. 

Anyway, about the mosaics - it looks pretty fantastic, I won't be buying it just because I'm budgeting my LEGO spending for the year (AAT and Razor Crest is probably going to be it for me) but definitely a well-designed piece that I'm sure would be great on display.