MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

32 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

They are temporarily out of stock, not retired

UCS Y-wing is listed as "Retired Product" in the UK site.

38 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

It's been retired in the US for about a year I think? Didn't it come out in 2018? I'm honestly surprised some countries still list it.

23 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It's been retired in the US for about a year I think? Didn't it come out in 2018? I'm honestly surprised some countries still list it.

UCS sets usually have longer lifespans, don't they?

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

UCS sets usually have longer lifespans, don't they?

Only the big ones like the Death Star and Falcon. Some exceptions exist, like the Slave I, but generally speaking, they're around no longer than normal.

I'm honestly surprised Cloud City went out when it did, but I guess it wasn't meant to last.

1 hour ago, Hold0511 said:

You're right, I only checked the Australian S@H because that's what we were discussing but on the Dutch S@H it's retired as well 

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Only the big ones like the Death Star and Falcon. Some exceptions exist, like the Slave I, but generally speaking, they're around no longer than normal.

I'm honestly surprised Cloud City went out when it did, but I guess it wasn't meant to last.

True, it's usually the bigger UCS sets that have longer lifespans.

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'm really mad I missed out on CC... especially when it was on sale for $175 last year...

15 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

I'm really mad I missed out on CC... especially when it was on sale for $175 last year...

It seemed like it had a shorter lifespan than sets that did terribly like the Hoth UCS set. Its an incredible set and was a real step up from the original which was also very good. My guess is it was the $350 price point. That's just a lot of money for any Lego set. I mean, think in terms of 501st battlepacks... you'd be able to purchase 11 and still have $20 left over. However, the deal you mentioned for $175 would have been a real steal! Where was it offering it for that low?

On 6/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, Sneakguest said:

Well even if most 20-30 years old have less economical demands which are created by family life, they earn less and also my experience is that many are in the dark ages until they actually get kids and thats how they come back to lego

In my case, it was in my 25 when i finished University and got a decent paid job when is tarted to spend more. Now i have kids and too much lego with less room for it. I i have to spend less because there is no place to store it. I collect slowly since 1999 when i was a student and the SW line just started - it was about that time i started to care more about lego - kind of exiting the dark age. But seems its really depending on the country and economical habits. Here the study is almost free (was completely free when i studied at university), now there are some payments but u dont need a loan equal to a mortgage for a family house to study on university.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, TeddytheSpoon said:

These adults want sculptures that'll look good on their mantelpiece, not rows of minifigs, that are perceived very much as toys

Who is then purchasing the expensive custom figs and accessories from FireStar, BrickArms, BrickForge etc ? AFOLS like minifigs also. And when i pay a premium for a bunch of bricks i want also a lot of premium figs which would not get it into regular sets (so many cool imperials we could get with the ISD like Ysanne Issrd with her red uniform, other Grand Admirals etc...)

1 hour ago, STARHAWK said:

Who is then purchasing the expensive custom figs and accessories from FireStar, BrickArms, BrickForge etc ? AFOLS like minifigs also. And when i pay a premium for a bunch of bricks i want also a lot of premium figs which would not get it into regular sets (so many cool imperials we could get with the ISD like Ysanne Issrd with her red uniform, other Grand Admirals etc...)

My point was that AFOLs are not who LEGO is targeting with the 18+ sets. There was an interview on the Brothers Brick with one of LEGO's marketing people, and she said that they were trying to reach out to adults who are not fans of LEGO (ANFOL?), so we can infer that that market is bigger than the existing AFOL market. While there is obviously a market for the custom figures, I'm pretty sure the size of the market doesn't anywhere near warrant LEGO going out of their way to meet its needs, as it's just not worth the time and as a result money.

6 hours ago, HutchProDucktions said:

It seemed like it had a shorter lifespan than sets that did terribly like the Hoth UCS set. Its an incredible set and was a real step up from the original which was also very good. My guess is it was the $350 price point. That's just a lot of money for any Lego set. I mean, think in terms of 501st battlepacks... you'd be able to purchase 11 and still have $20 left over. However, the deal you mentioned for $175 would have been a real steal! Where was it offering it for that low?

Can we start estimating everything's value based on how many 501st packs you could get for it? :laugh:

I don't know sales figures, but I'd assume it sold worse than something like assault on hoth, even if most afols hated that set. And then most adults are going to prefer the ucs sets like slave one or the falcon to the big cloud city playset, too. I think that's where the problem is with these, they're too expensive for most kids and too "childish" for most adults.

58 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

My point was that AFOLs are not who LEGO is targeting with the 18+ sets. There was an interview on the Brothers Brick with one of LEGO's marketing people, and she said that they were trying to reach out to adults who are not fans of LEGO (ANFOL?), so we can infer that that market is bigger than the existing AFOL market. While there is obviously a market for the custom figures, I'm pretty sure the size of the market doesn't anywhere near warrant LEGO going out of their way to meet its needs, as it's just not worth the time and as a result money.

Exactly. Also, tons of kids buy from brickarms and CAC and whatnot. When I was a kid me and my friends would put them on the indiana jones figures.

I just saw someone on Reddit has managed to pick up both the AAT and 501st already. Hopefully other stores accidentally put those out early. I can't wait to have them both!

2 hours ago, SEmrys said:

I just saw someone on Reddit has managed to pick up both the AAT and 501st already. Hopefully other stores accidentally put those out early. I can't wait to have them both!

Interesting how there wasn‘t a single factory leak for the summer wave :wacko: At first I thought they were simply late, but now that the sets have hit shelves in some places the leak season is officially over before it even started :head_back: Has TLG gotten better at rooting out the responsible leakers or might it be related to the human malware?

Either way, this doesn‘t bode too well for future leaks. Not trying to be negative, but that might be it for factory leaks. Guess written information will be the only type of viable leak after retail catalogues bit the dust and now factory leaks seemingly as well 

Looking on the gram, is there any truth to the possible revelation that the 501st's are not AngryClones and have a new accurate skintone? Or is that a hoax?

I don't think I have seen that head before, so I think it is new. If so, I am very pleased that Lego is finally using the appropriate skin tone for Clones and no longer whitewashing their skin tone.

Edited by getbusybrickin

Is that Clone face real? That’s amazing, they finally got it right!! I really hope someone on eBay ends up selling those new heads in bulk

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Our prayers have been answered! 

The new face looks great, super accurate, even the skin tone, it's all I could have wanted for it! 

I wonder if this spells the end for angry clone, or if it will ironically only be used for imps and FO from now on.

Its good cause now people can use Kanans head for fives and there are other faces that would look great on clones like Mesut Özil one,its also perfect for movie accurate Cody and Jango Fett. I personally dont like it cause i hate changes,but i can just keep helmet on or buy angry clone face for less than a dollar on bricklink.

I think the cheek lines wouldn't have been necessary. Their actual face looks a bit rounder.

FNNihPo.png

But the skin color and the neutral expression nevertheless make it the first truly good face for clones. If Lego hadn't made the torso prints less accurate, this face would totally make me buy some of the summer sets.

I still prefer the black heads from 2012 as I hate seeing the skin tone poke out through the armour but this is definitely a welcome improvement over Angry Clone. 

YES LETS GOOOOOO!

I love the new accurate clone faces the angry clone face always looked off to me since it was white but also that the expression always was angry.

Just now, SillySeeker said:

YES LETS GOOOOOO!

I love the new accurate clone faces the angry clone face always looked off to me since it was white but also that the expression always was angry.

Same! It wasn't as bad in the earlier sets when they had the smiling variant of the angry clone face, but the skin tone was too light for Morrison's character, it looked off. And then they started only using angry clone, and using it for every single unnamed helmeted character.

I'm glad we've finally got some accurate faces, I'm hoping angry clone itself is gone and we start getting other heads for FO/Imperial troops.