MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

If you're not a strict purist and don't mind spending some extra dough to customize your minifigs, Firestar makes a wide selection of really nice custom-printed Clone and Stormtrooper arms. Eclipse has started as well, though I don't think they have any for PT figs yet.

Well, that's your opinion (mine too, in this case). But there are those who felt otherwise, and probably some who still do.

Yeah I've seen those. I feel like that's a dangerous game to get involved in money-wise haha.

Also re: Vader- count me as one of those who still feels that the current Vader helmet is a downgrade for all the reasons you'd already mentioned previously.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Senate Commandos should be Clone Wars, the figures are identified as such, but I think it's branded Legends due to the build (in which case, so should half the battle packs).

Imperial Dropship is more of a "Lego-created ship" so it counts as Legends. In the instructions, they pretty much say that outright. So, regardless of the figures, the ship makes it legends (especially since the figures themselves aren't specifically from any one source. 2008 Rebel Scout Speeder is another example of this)

Geonosis Troopers is the definition of Red in Lego's ledger... Seriously, they pretty much created their own clones, with useless camouflage, when there actually was Geonosis specific troopers, none of which we've ever received. They could've even just reused the ARF Trooper helmet mold, but they didn't, and I'll never forgive them for it. (I really hated that battle pack :laugh:)

With the builds, I really don't think they matter for battle packs. Like you said, most battle packs just have random garbage lego designed. I wouldn't say that makes the rogue one battle packs non-canon because of the random speeder and walker. 

Geonosis troopers may be one of the worst battle packs ever. They aren't canon, aren't legends, aren't even a tie in to lego's shows that they do, it's just a waste of a spot that could have been used for more normal clones or something OT. (From what I remember 2014-2015 had a fair share of clone battle packs.)

I still think we need another resistance battle pack, and a fleet trooper battle pack.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

I would definitely agree that printing on the waist and codpiece would have improved the look, and lessened the "shock" (used loosely) of not seeing black there. But I maintain that some of this is down to "I'm used to it this way, so changing it to that way just looks wrong". Not unlike the Vader or Stormtrooper helmet transitions. 5-6 years in, and it seems like most people are used to Vader at this point, and even prefer it to the old one... whereas at the time it was introduced, there were some very vocal detractors.... too big, too cartoonish, looks like he's always looking up, etc.

Change isn't often easy. The good news? It's easily fixable. Buy some black hip pieces on BL, and swap out the white for black if it bugs you. (I may actually do the reverse for mine, lol).

I agree, I think a big part of it is just that it looks different than what we're used to. I'll probably do the same thing with the hips, although I'd have to find a pretty good deal since I'd want my stormtroopers to have white hips too and I've got around 40 from all the different styles.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

You see the black hips as representing the gaps between armor plates; I've always seen it as a black thong. In part because — going back to accuracy — the actual costume cod piece and belt are white, not black. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. There are cases where I prefer a less-accurate option over the technically-more-accurate one, too... RotJ Luke's hair, for instance. That bulbous 30+ year old hair piece triggers me, and for that reason alone I swap them out, even though it's the closest match to his on-screen hair.

I have exactely the same opinion about both. Regarding the whole discussion, people are different and have different opinions. Lego and its designers are as well. Lego thought the new hips would be more accurate, some agree some don’t. I appreciate the effort and respect all opinions. Lego thought Luke’s hair piece was the best fitting. I think it’s old fashioned, others like it, and that’s fine. Most here are all AFOL and luckily we can rely on modifying and bricklinking :)

42 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

Yeah I've seen those. I feel like that's a dangerous game to get involved in money-wise haha.

It gets very expensive, very fast. Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny...

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

With the builds, I really don't think they matter for battle packs. Like you said, most battle packs just have random garbage lego designed. I wouldn't say that makes the rogue one battle packs non-canon because of the random speeder and walker.

So just to clarify for anyone still curious about this, there is a difference between Legends and being outright non-canon. Actually, both Canon and Legends have their fair share of non-canon material. The distinction is that material released before April 25th, 2014 is considered Legends (for the most part, anyway - there is still some material specifically released under the Legends banner from time to time, but it's pretty uncommon), material afterwards is Canon (even if it's non-canon - Canon in this case is just the name of the current Star Wars continuity). (The original trilogy, prequels, the first 6 seasons of TCW, and the Son of Dathomir comic are the only material released before then that are both Canon and Legends) For example, Lego's old animated shorts and whatnot i.e. The Yoda Chronicles is non-canon Legends material, while The Freemaker Adventures is non-canon Canon material.

As for how this applies to battle packs and such, if Lego makes something completely on their own that design is non-canon regardless. Those designs would only be considered Legends if they were released before that date. It's a bit more ambiguous if they decide to do a modern remake of a design made during the Legends era, however. Honestly though, I wouldn't get too caught up in splitting Lego's original designs between Canon and Legends when they're not even canon to begin with, unless of course they get reused in canon material.

So, I know with COVID-19 stock has been quite limited, but I'm wondering: Will the Death Star ever come back in stock?

I was actually going to spring it this year, and it disappeared before I could. So could it come back soon? Or could it take til the end of the year to return?

I know it's not "finished" since it's "temporarily out of stock". So was Obi-Wan's Hut and the AT-AP and they came back (however briefly).

And on that note, will we see these sets in extremely limited quantities? I'm worried the 501st and AAT sets will end up missing within a day or two of release. Any guesses as to any of these?

1 hour ago, BigGuy4U said:

As for how this applies to battle packs and such, if Lego makes something completely on their own that design is non-canon regardless. Those designs would only be considered Legends if they were released before that date. It's a bit more ambiguous if they decide to do a modern remake of a design made during the Legends era, however. Honestly though, I wouldn't get too caught up in splitting Lego's original designs between Canon and Legends when they're not even canon to begin with, unless of course they get reused in canon material.

Like with the Imperial Dropship Battle Pack. I'm fine considering it a "Legends" vehicle since in any case, it's decidedly non-canon. Going further, the Shadow Trooper is only in Battlefront 2 (EA edition) as far as Disney Era canon goes, so it's not from any movie or tv show, and it's a remake of a non-canonical set. Things like the RO packs are different, since they're specifically marketed as being Rogue One related, same with the Clone Walker/Assassin Droids battle packs. Scout Speeder and Dropship came out and weren't marketed beyond being OT army builders. So, to that end, those sets fell outside of the realm of canon, even by battle pack standards.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think a big part of it is just that it looks different than what we're used to.

Not to restart anything, of course, but there were ways to soften the "shock" like @jdubbs said. And like I said, they've done it before. One example failed miserably (AT-AP Shock Troopers), but the Stormtroopers were wonderful. I think they could learn from those old Stormies. I don't think the hips are the problem, at least not the color, but how it's very plain.

An example would be T-Shirts. A white T-Shirt is very plain, but a black T-Shirt, while still plain, seems cooler by comparison. It's a lot less noticeable, if you will. I also think less people would have a problem with the hips if the arms had the appropriate coloring (even if it's just dual-molded arms). I didn't even notice the white hips at first, but I did notice the arms being white.

Also, just for a fun observation, I recently purchased a 501st Jet Trooper from CAC, and it has white hips. Why it works? The printing of the belt is split between torso and hip piece.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. I guess the merge timed out.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

4 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

An example would be T-Shirts. A white T-Shirt is very plain, but a black T-Shirt, while still plain, seems cooler by comparison. It's a lot less noticeable, if you will. I also think less people would have a problem with the hips if the arms had the appropriate coloring (even if it's just dual-molded arms). I didn't even notice the white hips at first, but I did notice the arms being white.

Also, just for a fun observation, I recently purchased a 501st Jet Trooper from CAC, and it has white hips. Why it works? The printing of the belt is split between torso and hip piece.

Hey, I wear plain white t-shirts! :laugh:

The thing is, CAC figures are more detailed but pretty dang expensive. Lego could probably put some printed belts on the hips but it probably comes down the the lower budget this wave has :(. Printed white hips are ideally the best option, but if it comes down to plain black vs plain white I'd say plain white. As for the arms, it's a similar situation, except 4 sets of dual-molded arms isn't going to show up in a $30 set no matter the budget. As @storskogen puts it, we can just bricklink some blue arms and black hips if we like those better.

At least it's not commander gree and the 41st scout battalion again.:head_back:

5 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So, I know with COVID-19 stock has been quite limited, but I'm wondering: Will the Death Star ever come back in stock?

I was actually going to spring it this year, and it disappeared before I could. So could it come back soon? Or could it take til the end of the year to return?

I know it's not "finished" since it's "temporarily out of stock". So was Obi-Wan's Hut and the AT-AP and they came back (however briefly).

And on that note, will we see these sets in extremely limited quantities? I'm worried the 501st and AAT sets will end up missing within a day or two of release. Any guesses as to any of these?

Death star will almost certainly come back in stock in the next few weeks/months. If I had to guess, in a year or two they'll "retire" it, then it'll come back with a few extra parts for $600 as the 2HY D2C.

I think the delay from august to september is to make sure they've got enough sets manufactured. Won't stop me from getting up way earlier than I should on Tuesday, september 1st to get some sweet, sweet 501st packs. 

Hey, I wear plain white t-shirts! :laugh:

CAC figures are more detailed but pretty dang expensive. Lego could probably put some printed belts on the hips but it probably comes down the the lower budget this wave has :(. Printed white hips are ideally the best option, but if it comes down to plain black vs plain white I'd say plain white. As for the arms, it's a similar situation, except 4 sets of dual-molded arms isn't going to show up in a $30 set no matter the budget.

No offense intended. :grin:

Well true. My biggest gripe with the clones as is is the Jet Trooper's legs (they shouldn't have gotten that wrong), but still, I really don't get why the arms had to be white in all honesty. I'm probably not gonna replace them, but they will look quite odd next to the ones I already have. As far as Stormtroopers go, as long as they don't give them another update, I think most of us will be happy. The prints aside, it is a bit tiring to get a bunch of mix-n-match troopers. Especially since we never got the 501st in the 2014 style.

Death star will almost certainly come back in stock in the next few weeks/months. If I had to guess, in a year or two they'll "retire" it, then it'll come back with a few extra parts for $600 as the 2HY D2C.

I think the delay from august to september is to make sure they've got enough sets manufactured. Won't stop me from getting up way earlier than I should on Tuesday, september 1st to get some sweet, sweet 501st packs. 

I hope so. I'll probably be refreshing Lego's website until 12 am September 1st! :laugh:

On 6/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, this is a fantastic wave for people trying to build up an arsenal of main characters.  You can get Obi-Wan, Anakin, R2-D2, Ahsoka, Grievous, pilot Luke, ROTJ Luke, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Mando, The Child, Rey, and you can still very easily find affordable sets with C-3PO, ANH Luke, Ben, Poe, and BB-8.

Now that it was highlighted in the portal main page, I was able to see all the sets. Thanks to EU admins to highlight it! 

I fully agree, even if I'm not that interested in some sets, as I have many of the minifigs, but this wave has a lot of good minifigs overall. But there are many collectors out there and many cannot get most sets. For me Ahsoka is one of the remaining minifigs I didn't have, and this set at 29,99€ has a good price, before I thought it was around 40€. 

The remake of ROTJ throne room is excellent, so I will take it again mainly to upgrade Palpatine, get some additional guards and save the pieces of the last one for MOCs, as it a good improvement overall. I share the feel with others of updating Luke hair, now it seems a bit outdated, given the good job they have done with Luke Ep 4 and with Han. 

Edited by dvogon

20 hours ago, jdubbs said:

But I maintain that some of this is down to "I'm used to it this way, so changing it to that way just looks wrong". Not unlike the Vader or Stormtrooper helmet transitions.

That new Stormtrooper helmet still looks horrible and will look horrible to me to the end of time. They took what was a perfectly good and well-proportioned for a LEGO minifig piece and swapped it for a massive bobblehead that can't even turn.

9 minutes ago, dvogon said:

For me Ahsoka is one of the remaining minifigs I didn't have, and this set at 29,99€ has a good price, before I thought it was around 40€. 

Hate to break to to you, but the AAT with Ahsoka is 40 euro. And somehow even though it's wider and has one more minifigure than the last Episode I AAT it doesn't have many more pieces for $15 USD / 10 euro more. Oddly I've seen some YouTubers say the last one was $30 USD, when it was actually $25, though it was 30 euro.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

That new Stormtrooper helmet still looks horrible and will look horrible to me to the end of time. They took what was a perfectly good and well-proportioned for a LEGO minifig piece and swapped it for a massive bobblehead that can't even turn.

Agreed, if LEGO can revert back to the old Rebel Pilot helmet, they can revert back to the old Stormtrooper helmet. Personally I find the new Stormtrooper helmet significantly worse than the old one, wheras I don't mind either way on the Rebel helmet. 

7 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Agreed, if LEGO can revert back to the old Rebel Pilot helmet, they can revert back to the old Stormtrooper helmet. Personally I find the new Stormtrooper helmet significantly worse than the old one, wheras I don't mind either way on the Rebel helmet. 

I don't see it happening. The rebel pilot helmet was almost universally scorned, and never appeared again after its introduction in the X-Wing, despite several sets it could have been used in. While there are some people such as yourself who dislike the new stormtrooper helmet, it hasn't received nearly the same backlash. It's also appeared in multiple sets  over the last two years, the most recent being the forthcoming Advent. Pretty sure it's here to stay.

11 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

No offense intended. :grin:

Well true. My biggest gripe with the clones as is is the Jet Trooper's legs (they shouldn't have gotten that wrong), but still, I really don't get why the arms had to be white in all honesty. I'm probably not gonna replace them, but they will look quite odd next to the ones I already have. As far as Stormtroopers go, as long as they don't give them another update, I think most of us will be happy. The prints aside, it is a bit tiring to get a bunch of mix-n-match troopers. Especially since we never got the 501st in the 2014 style.

I hope so. I'll probably be refreshing Lego's website until 12 am September 1st! :laugh:

Yeah the jet trooper's legs need more blue. IMO utapau troopers has the best prints of any clones so far, but I still like the 501st ones too. 

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

1 hour ago, samsz_3 said:

Agreed and agreed! The new stormtrooper helmet is just......UGH :thumbdown:

I just don’t get the hate for the new helmet molds. I really don’t. The rebel one and the Stormtrooper one are improvements in my opinion

Aside from the movement restrictions, I think the new stormtrooper helmet is amazing and far more accurate to the films. It took some time to grow on me, admittedly, but after having some of my own and seeing them in person as opposed to lego's promo pics, they look fantastic! The movement doesn't bother me too much either, since the old mold wasn't really able to turn a significant amount either.

52 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I just don’t get the hate for the new helmet molds. I really don’t. The rebel one and the Stormtrooper one are improvements in my opinion

I actually really liked the new Rebel pilot helmet, I'm disappointed they only used it for one set before going back.

1 hour ago, BigGuy4U said:

I actually really liked the new Rebel pilot helmet, I'm disappointed they only used it for one set before going back.

When I put it on a figure with a chin-strap print on the head, it looks marginally better. But it still feels really big compared to the old helmet. 

1 hour ago, Makin Bacon said:

Aside from the movement restrictions, I think the new stormtrooper helmet is amazing and far more accurate to the films. It took some time to grow on me, admittedly, but after having some of my own and seeing them in person as opposed to lego's promo pics, they look fantastic! The movement doesn't bother me too much either, since the old mold wasn't really able to turn a significant amount either.

I like it well enough too, but the old one didn't bother me. I feel like they are equally inaccurate, just in different ways, so it's a bit of a tossup. I standardized all my stormtroopers on the new helmet mostly because I don't see them reverting to the old ones, and eventually the old helmets will be hard to come by. 

27 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

When I put it on a figure with a chin-strap print on the head, it looks marginally better. But it still feels really big compared to the old helmet. 

I like it well enough too, but the old one didn't bother me. I feel like they are equally inaccurate, just in different ways, so it's a bit of a tossup. I standardized all my stormtroopers on the new helmet mostly because I don't see them reverting to the old ones, and eventually the old helmets will be hard to come by. 

Yeah I agree it is pretty big, but the helmet is already pretty bulky in the movies anyway. I really don't see why people hated it so much.

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I liked the improvement of the pilothelmet, but, the problem is when you have collected all pilots + some customs from firestar, then starting over with a new helmet is just to much headache

20 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I liked the improvement of the pilothelmet, but, the problem is when you have collected all pilots + some customs from firestar, then starting over with a new helmet is just to much headache

Yeah for me that's the massive pain when they change moulds. I don't mind the new Stormtrooper helmet but I do prefer the old one.

I prefer the old Stormtrooper helmet overall. I liked the proportions better, it had slightly more articulation and most importantly it was more versatile. With simple changes in printing they were able to use the same mold for all kinds of different Stormtrooper types. The same can't be said for the new helmet. Also as Jang put it, the new helmet is too jowl-y.

Edited by ToaDraco

Aside from the stormtrooper and rebel pilot helmets, I'd probably add the new Jedi/Sith hood to the list of new molds that look worse than the original.

As for prints, it seems they're carrying over the TCW version of the clone torso print to the movie sets. I still think the previous one had much better proportions and wish they would revert back to it as well. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

1 hour ago, Elrond said:

Aside from the stormtrooper and rebel pilot helmets, I'd probably add the new Jedi/Sith hood to the list of new molds that look worse than the original.

As for prints, it seems they're carrying over the TCW version of the clone torso print to the movie sets. I still think the previous one had much better proportions and wish they would revert back to it as well. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

That hood looks (or would look) fantastic on some minfigures, but it just doesn't work on the others.

It worked great for Knight of Ren, and it would work for (for example) Scarecrow or Taskmaster, but it doesn't work for Kenobi or Palpatine, and it probably wouldn't work on other Jedi.