MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

The Gunship affirms that people want PT UCS sets, and I think it would be foolish to not incorporate the market further in future products.

I think there's an important distinction here, though, and I don't want to come off as negative towards the idea that people like the prequels/TCW and want sets of them, because I do too.  But, I think that a sizeable number of people that are clamoring for more prequel sets or prequel UCS sets fall into the demographic of ages 12-16 or so, the other portion being the older crowd.

I can tell you right now, very, very, very few of that younger crowd will (1) shell out $300+ for a UCS set and (2) even be interested in a large, display-based model that contains likely 4 or fewer figures.  Kids LOVE minifigures, I would say even more than ever right now, due to CMFs and the way that molding/printing is so specialized now, they truly can make or break sets in ways that they couldn't in the past, even outside of Star Wars.

The key here is that a lot of people want more prequel sets, which is great, and therefore like the IDEA of a UCS prequel set, but I think that few of these people stop to think about what a UCS set actually entails.  As I'm sure others have said, I know I have before on this discussion board, there's been probably fewer than five minifigure-scale UCS ships, and they're typically all based around sets that truly couldn't be replicated in that scale as a system-set.  Many prequel vehicles are either already minifigure scale or absolutely massive.  The ones that are already minifigure scale I don't see selling well as a UCS (I mean, if you can buy a tank droid or AAT that's minifigure compatible, why would I spent $100+ when I could get a cheaper one with better figures?  It goes back to the prequel-set generation being less interested overall in larger display pieces).  The ones that aren't minifigure scale, how many younger people (typically the prequel demographic) are going to put down $700 for a Venator or $400 for a full size AT-TE?  I mean, those would be cool, but I can tell you, a lot of the fans that are still young kids don't have that kind of money, and a lot of the young adults probably don't have that kind of disposable income and/or space for huge pieces like that.  

Using the gunship example, a $300 gunship is going to need to be bigger than minifigure scale, for example, but how many younger prequel fans are going to pay that kind of money for one with a couple of figures and no actual playability, when they could instead throw down $90 and get 8 501st Clones, an AAT, and Ahsoka, then build a battle scene/base with their own bricks? 

Again, I don't mean to come off as super negative, but I think that the distinction I want to emphasize is that a lot of people like the idea of prequel UCS sets without rethinking what they totally entail.

14 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

The key here is that a lot of people want more prequel sets, which is great, and therefore like the IDEA of a UCS prequel set, but I think that few of these people stop to think about what a UCS set actually entails.  As I'm sure others have said, I know I have before on this discussion board, there's been probably fewer than five minifigure-scale UCS ships, and they're typically all based around sets that truly couldn't be replicated in that scale as a system-set.  Many prequel vehicles are either already minifigure scale or absolutely massive.  The ones that are already minifigure scale I don't see selling well as a UCS (I mean, if you can buy a tank droid or AAT that's minifigure compatible, why would I spent $100+ when I could get a cheaper one with better figures?  It goes back to the prequel-set generation being less interested overall in larger display pieces).  The ones that aren't minifigure scale, how many younger people (typically the prequel demographic) are going to put down $700 for a Venator or $400 for a full size AT-TE?  I mean, those would be cool, but I can tell you, a lot of the fans that are still young kids don't have that kind of money, and a lot of the young adults probably don't have that kind of disposable income and/or space for huge pieces like that.  

Using the gunship example, a $300 gunship is going to need to be bigger than minifigure scale, for example, but how many younger prequel fans are going to pay that kind of money for one with a couple of figures and no actual playability, when they could instead throw down $90 and get 8 501st Clones, an AAT, and Ahsoka, then build a battle scene/base with their own bricks? 

Again, I don't mean to come off as super negative, but I think that the distinction I want to emphasize is that a lot of people like the idea of prequel UCS sets without rethinking what they totally entail.

You make good points, however I will say that some of us (I know for myself) do actually care about the actual display value that represents the UCS brand. It's true a lot more people care about the figures, but I personally believe there will be fans that can understand that UCS is more collector-focused. For years, I've actually been wanting to make the jump to UCS, and I think that if vehicles aren't the best candidates (for now at least), then at least some UCS-scale playsets, like Ewok Village or Cloud City. That way, we technically still get decent display models (I liked Cloud City for what it was), and we get a decent selection of figures. A balance, I suppose.

I love minifigures a lot too, and I'm more likely to MOC up some figures than a full on vehicle or scene, but I do appreciate the display value my sets have. But, again disposable income is a factor to consider, so you and @2maxwell are probably right on that front.

I personally hope the Gunship is $200, and if so it'll likely debut in 2022, but I think going too expensive for this (even if the model itself is godly) will hurt their sales.

29 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I promise LEGO is not intentionally sabotaging the sales of its own products.

Subconsciously then? :wink:

It just seems like it sometimes, given some of their absolutely ludicrous decisions. I still haven't forgiven them for Geonosis Troopers. :laugh:

I can't imagine Grievous' starfighter (for example) selling at all well, just by fact that it's really poor value. Or even Anakin's fighter. But, we'll see.

6 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

lego dont have insane secondary market prices. Relatively speaking in regard of course. Just to mention art or music.

That doesnt mean it isnt expensive though, besides I've been scouting sets I'm interested in buying from my backlog and aftermarket prices have been going up lately.

@jdubbs is it confirmed it’s just the shuttle, or is this going to include a landing platform perhaps? Don’t remember what 10212 retailed for but price seems a bit high for the shuttle only.

12 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

But, I think that a sizeable number of people that are clamoring for more prequel sets or prequel UCS sets fall into the demographic of ages 12-16 or so, the other portion being the older crowd.

I agree some of them are 12-16 (they still have the giant buying power from their family if they really wanna get it,some even more than people that work can set aside) but most of us are 20-30 and pissed that there is no prequel sets,10 years we didnt have ucs PT set,14 of ucs sets in a row all from same 3 movies will be 11 years and 15 sets if Shuttle is next one( i am 27 waiting for ucs pt sets since i was 17 ). And why? cause Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter didnt sell well,set didnt even include a minifigure for 100$ . And over the years if you look at advent calendars only pt figure inside is 60 cents battle droid since 2013 thats 7 years,not a single PT figure. 2019 they ignored PHANTOM MENACE 20 year anniversary and they threw in 20 year anniversary figures all from OT and even with 6 anniversary sets they made that are supposed to represent all 6 movies they made additional OT set instead of AOTC set. All 4 plus sets are OT,helmet sets all OT,even these new mosaic sets 0 PT,gifts with purchase sets none out of 14 are PT, Gift with purchase at LEGOLAND parks all OT,all 10 vignettes are OT,in store builds 0 PT. We boycott nothing,we say something on LEGO sites comments deleted or someone argues you are 27 you are too old for LEGO. And the sets we get are pure garbage like in 2018 we got 1 battle pack that you cant buy multiple off cause they include 2 jedi, 30$ General Grievous' Combat Speeder that not only was overpriced,but the vehicle was oversized 10 times,2020 we get Grievous starfighter with old obi wan from 20 $ mustafar set with wrong ropes full of holes from lava which is not from that scene for 80 $ with 487 pieces,anakins jedi interceptor the same one from few years back with no cool figures(they could throw in like Rune Haako,Trench,Boss Nass or Kaminoan). To get a set we wanted a youtuber had to make an entire campaign that had thousands of people spam LEGO since december of 2018 everyday to get it,and i dont think its normal or fair that 1 giant part of fan base (cw plus pt) gets treated like this,if there werent for the vote we would probably not get another PT ucs set for next 10 years.

44 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter didnt sell well,set didnt even include a minifigure for 100$ .

$100 is pretty cheap as far as UCS sets are concerned, and non-minifig scaled UCS sets didn't come with minifigures until after that set was released.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more PT stuff too. I'll always be a bigger OT fan, but I did grow up with the PT movies. But we have to just be honest and admit that, as far as giant, expensive UCS sets go, the buying power has been with the adults for the last 2 decades. And those adults wanted OT sets. The fans on this site are not representative of most people. Most children cannot afford such expensive toys, especially ones that aren't actually designed to be played with. Obviously the people on this site will want to scrimp and save to get the sets, because we're fanatics. Most normal people will look at a $200 UCS A-Wing set and say "hey that's the same price as a Nintendo Switch Lite, something I can actually play with. I'll just get the next A-Wing playset when it rolls around for $30; it'll look nice on my desk and I can swoosh it around too."

That being said, I'm sure we'll start seeing more UCS PT stuff going forward. People are right that this does send a message about what people want and, if it sells well, that the PT audience now has the income to make their voices heard.

Edited by 2maxwell

I can't remember the last time I bought a new Lego set. I look regularly, too. But we actually downsized my Star Wars collection (and our city) in February (sold the ones that weren't practical for play; kept the Ewok Village & Sandcrawler displays/play areas).

I'm early 30s & returned from my dark ages about 5-years ago. I've recently had sort of a 2nd wind of interest because of (1) quarantine, (2) Season 7, (3) news of the UCS Gunship, (4) a young child that's reached the age where she wants to act out things with toys, and (5) a boy on the way.

My dad introduced me to the OT in the 90s (RotJ is still my favorite) and I was really into the PT growing up, even if they weren't great, because of the lore. I snoozed through the Clone Wars a few years ago. Then the Siege of Mandalore happened. Tremendous; perhaps my favorite Star Wars since RotJ since it's great and enhances the PT. It's making me take a second look at everything PT related, including the rest of CW - appreciating things that I didn't even notice before.

To bring it back, this Fall, I'll be buying a 501st Battle Pack, and that AAT (just for the figures). Health- and stock-related circumstances permitting, I may even take my daughter to the store morning of release. I'd really like Bo Katan, new Maul Mandos, and I now understand the Phase II Cody frustration. None of which I would've gotten before.

But the big stuff I'd be interested in is still the same; I'm just a bit more motivated now: Give me a UCS Gunship. I've love to see them bring back the dropship, particularly since it features 501st blue. A turbo tank could be great, too. Geonosis Arena, done well, would be a must-have, too. If they'd done any of those (well, done well), I would've been off the sidelines sooner.

Anyways, I hope, as a dad trying to be space and cost conscious, the Gunship (and rumored Lambda) combo for display and play. As somebody mentioned, a lot of the PT stuff has or could easily be done in minifigure scale. I think that's great, because then you're not increasing the price of something like the Falcon to $700 only to make it less playable than the system scale Falcons - you can stay in the same size range and drastically improve the quality and detail. The previous Gunships aregood but there's a lot that can still be done, and I'd love to see what TLG could do in more-or-less the same size with another 1,000 pieces or with new molds. Think 2010 Turbo Tank size with 2016 Turbo Tank quality, which is far more sturdy for play and looks cleaner all the way around.

Who was it that said we were good at going off topic? :laugh:

I'll throw in my two cents before getting back on track with a bit of development guesswork... Assuming the development cycle for a system scale set is about a year, then the market research (involving kids, since lest we forget, LEGO is a toy first and foremost...) when deciding what sets to make could be at best six months out of date upon release, assuming it takes place halfway through. That would put us just before TCW Season 7's release, so to an extent LEGO are having to guesstimate what the demand for these sets is going to be. For UCS sets that timeline could be even longer. If they underestimated the demand for prequel sets after TCW, then we might see that corrected in future waves.

(Also no-one mentioned the Grievous figure when talking about prequel UCS sets... I really liked that set.)

2 hours ago, KevinMD said:

@jdubbs is it confirmed it’s just the shuttle, or is this going to include a landing platform perhaps? Don’t remember what 10212 retailed for but price seems a bit high for the shuttle only.

I'd be surprised if there was a landing platform. UCS ships like that tend to just rely on the black stands rather than scenery for displaying it. If the piece count rumour of ~3,000 is correct, I could quite easily see those extra 500 pieces put to use in a better shaped cockpit and landing gear, and maybe a more substantial stand. While arguably on the high side $350ish would make sense with that piece count.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

On 6/13/2020 at 5:20 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Since when do many Marvel characters have dualmolded legs? Most of them don't even have legprinting.....

Well, "many", a few at least. Batman, Spiderman and some others at least. Though now that you said it, Batman is DC but whatever.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, BigGuy4U said:

I personally think there's way too much focus on dual-molding around here, it's nice to have but not usually necessary in my opinion, at least not to the degree some people seem to think it is. That being said there are a few minifigs who I think desperately need it like silver leg C-3PO and Bossk, and to a lesser degree Scout Troopers and every Imperial officer ever.

I guess this is a matter of personal opinion, too, but I haven't really understood the idea, why not to make the figures as detailed as possible. Some ten years ago people complained about the leg printing being unnecessary, when it started to be a standard of a sort, so I guess it is a phenomenon that new phases in figure upgrades inevitably face some resistance.

Edited by Samppu

More info about the Bespin Duel set:

• it's set number is 75294

• price is around $40

• it's coming in September

• it will be available in "Lego Brand Stores"

Do you guys know if Lego Brand Store can also refer to Shop@Home? I mean on the internet.

34 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Do you guys know if Lego Brand Store can also refer to Shop@Home? I mean on the internet.

It normally does. I think the only things that are in brand stores but not on S@H are region-specific things, like how the Leicester Square store in London has the miniature London bus or that figure in a bowler hat (I wanna say he's called Lesley or something).

20 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It normally does. I think the only things that are in brand stores but not on S@H are region-specific things, like how the Leicester Square store in London has the miniature London bus or that figure in a bowler hat (I wanna say he's called Lesley or something).

I hope so.

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on EB for over a decade now, and finally have decided to voice my thoughts.

Bit of background info - I'm 18 so CW was "the current Star Wars" of my generation (although I also have nostalgia for the OT because they were the first films I watched). I never got any LSW sets though, I got my first one back in 2018 when I got back into LEGO. Personally I think this is one of the best waves in a while - the variety and sets are pretty good. A lot of people have been bored of the Anakin Fighter but for me this is great as I don't have an ETA-2. It's good to always have a Jedi Fighter on the shelves because they are iconic ships, but much smaller/cheaper than something like an X wing. Although not as good as the 2009 version, I quite like this AAT. The size doesn't bother me and neither does the gap in the front for the spring loaded shooters, but I wish they used the different shape curve panel, that was less round and less steep. At $40 idk what the UK price will be, but as with most sets I will buy them when they are discounted on Amazon or brand new on ebay, will pay £30 most for it. I will also get the 501st BP and maybe the AT-AT or the Razor Crest if I can find a good deal (probably not both though). 

I like the idea of a new UCS Imperial Shuttle. It has been 10 years since the last one and its a "true minifig scale" UCS ship. The last one was £250 so adjusted for inflation its just over £320 so I could see them charging £330-£350 if it's even slightly improved. As a big CW/Prequel fan I really hope the UCS Gunship sells well. I hope LEGO take the smart route with this and make it minifig scale but make it more detailed than the 2013 one like some MOCs I've seen (fully brick built doors with the gaps, smooth wings etc). Otherwise they will be making an already big ship unnecessarily bigger and reducing the market. People of my generation if they really wanted to could probably afford to spend up to £200 maybe £250, but not £350/£400. I understand UCS sets are not about play, but the LAATs are iconic for having their open doors with clones inside. If they make it too big, than it lacks the ability to display with figures inside, and reduces the number of people willing to buy it. Perhaps in a style like the Tantive IV?... Unfortunately the comments about struggling with the wing strength at this size make me doubtful...

Personally I hope the Gunship is larger than minifig scale since I have no interest in putting minifigures in it. I just want a very large model of my favorite vehicle in the franchise for display and I want it to be massive

11 hours ago, jdubbs said:

From what I've heard (purely anecdotal, take it for what it's worth), the UCS ISD was not selling all that well, pre-COVID. Which, if true, does not bode well for a Venator UCS set. And even if they wanted to do the Venator, LEGO would likely wait a few years after the ISD retires, given how similar the two ships are. 

My guess (emphasis on guess) is that you won't see a prequel-era UCS set before the Gunship, given that LEGO was surprised that it won the fan poll. And even then, they'd probably wait to see how it sells before putting another prequel UCS set in the pipeline... so you could be looking at 3+ years from now before another one hits shelves. (Assuming all the people who voted online for the gunship actually vote with their wallets as well.)

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. There are clearly several unique/new UCS sets possible from each of the trilogies (yes, even the sequels). I am just saying it's unrealistic to expect LEGO to put them out back-to-back-to-back. Reissues are a fact of life, in both the UCS and System scales. 

I do believe that. The ISD has had a 15% off at JOhn Lewis twice in the space of 3 months (one just before lockdown and the other a couple of weeks ago).

Well, if Lego was expecting the ISD to sell as hot as the MF then they were very much mistaken. The MF is an iconic ship and nothing else can outsell it. You can't release the ISD straight after MF, just slap the same price on the ISD and expect it to sell as well. £100 less and it would have a chance.

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

see @jdubbs's comment about the venator, but I have to say I don't think any trade federation ships besides maybe the lucrehulk would sell well as UCS sets. I don't want to get to far off topic, but first off, I doubt we'll see stuff "1000 after" the sequels anytime soon, but while the high republic is only 200 years before the prequels there have been rumors of old republic films, so those might be the 2022, 2024, and 2026 films. (One last side not, of course disney has an appetite for money, it's a company, that's how they pay their workers and make profit for shareholders). But that's all somewhat irrelevant, as no matter whether or not that stuff's coming, it won't come in 2020.

It depends what you mean by UCS. They wouldn't sell well if they were priced above £350 for large models but I bet they would sell very well if they were made in the size and price of the recent £179 Tantive 4 set.

That Disney is a money grabbing machine is a well known fact. There are documentaries about Walt adhering to that philosophy. So no need to mount a defence.

10 hours ago, 2maxwell said:

I've mentioned this before but I'm certain that a big consideration for these sets is the age of the consumer.

People who grew up with the PT like me are now starting to hit their 30s, where they could reasonably blow a couple hundred dollars on a large display piece. Stuff that gained its prominence during the Clone Wars era though still appeals to an audience with a much lower average age than what I would assume works well for selling UCS sets. I can't see a Venator selling well until the kids who grew up watching the Clone Wars tv show are also comfortably past their college years and no longer living in one bedroom apartments.

You underestimate the buying power of people in their 30s. You also forget that a lot of people that started with the main trilogy actually do like PT as well.

10 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would spend $400 on a Gunship and $700 on a Venator...just saying. I’m not a wealthy person but I would make it happen

Likewise, I've already got the MF and ISD.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Lester, actually :tongue: 

Glad to hear the Bespin Duel might very well be available at S@H or at least the official brand stores! :sweet: 
Holland has two brand stores since last year and I have a feeling I'll want this set :purrr:

Regards,
Mitch

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

That’s weird, why does a set originally intended as a convention exclusive have a regular set number? :wacko:

On 6/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, Lego-Freak said:

According to brickfanatics, the second D2C may be a remake of the UCS Imperial Shuttle: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-star-wars-ultimate-collector-series-imperial-shuttle-rumoured-for-september/

BEST rumor in a long time!

On 6/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, Brikkyy13 said:

...The last set is pretty solid, I don't see the design changing much, if at all. Maybe a fix to the landing gear?....

17 hours ago, muhkuh said:

Idk, this shuttle is perfect.... dont know what they wanna change. There are several other model to remake for example vaders tie, ds2, interceptor and a lot of other sets which are still not done yet

1) The taper of the cockpit nose section is too extreme
2) Could use a boarding ramp
3) The engine exhaust design was FUGLY

13 hours ago, legolandia said:

I dont understand why. It's the uggliest ship in the SW universe...

*GASP*  Blasphemy!!:laugh:  Ok, so, in the event nobody figured it out, the Lambda Shuttle is my absolute favorite vehicle in the SW Universe, but the 10212 set could certainly use some tweaking here and there.  My metric for a 'perfect' UCS set is whether or not I feel compelled to modify the original design.  Unfortunately I couldn't STAND the engine exhaust design choices, so I had to fix that.  The nose is too pointy, but I haven't come up with a suitable alternative.  I welcome the idea of a fresh UCS Shuttle - let's see what they do with it!

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think there's an important distinction here, though, and I don't want to come off as negative towards the idea that people like the prequels/TCW and want sets of them, because I do too.  But, I think that a sizeable number of people that are clamoring for more prequel sets or prequel UCS sets fall into the demographic of ages 12-16 or so, the other portion being the older crowd.

I can tell you right now, very, very, very few of that younger crowd will (1) shell out $300+ for a UCS set and (2) even be interested in a large, display-based model that contains likely 4 or fewer figures.  Kids LOVE minifigures, I would say even more than ever right now, due to CMFs and the way that molding/printing is so specialized now, they truly can make or break sets in ways that they couldn't in the past, even outside of Star Wars.

As @PreVizsla already mentioned you are somehow wrong with your math. The kids who saw PT in 1999-2005 are now 20-30 -> the best age for purchasing power i would say as u just got a job and dont have kids maybe yet or your kids dont need that much spendings yet (a toddler does not need that much as a teenager). All of a sudden you have your budget for thigs u wanted as a kid but parents did not purchased them for you for whatever reason.

Plus the OT 30-40-50s already have a lot of older UCS sets and space starts to be a problem for them. They will be more pickie in what to purchase, especially if its expensive and/or too big. I have 2 UCS falcons but did not purchased ISD for ~450 EUR because the set is too big and not perfect - so no reason for me to really make space for it, i can later rebuild it from my own parts.

Did anyone noted how always this presentation of a big set is in a room on a separate piece of furniture just for it in a big empty room ? This is how marketing guys think of us AFOLs obviously while the reality is that our flats and houses are filled up to the roof with legos and only few of us have the luxury of a really big room completely dedicated to Lego. I personally have only a small room dedicated to toys - my lair - but legos are stored in the entire flat.

I personally would buy a Gunship which is just litle bit bigger than the system scale and with a lot of details. An army of clones that could not be found anywhere else and a possiblility to change the version of it with some extra bricks in different color and printed pieces with decorations (a twillek girl, even pinup Padme that was cut out of CW). If it will be oversized, i might give it a pas but many PT fans will not. I collect mainly minifig scale UCS.

I dont understand the lack of PT sets especially with CW theme right now when its still fresh. CW era had a lot of sets compared to Rebels or Resistance, even Freemakers have more sets than Resistance :) -> those were for kids and failed. There is a big CW fanbase which is now waiting for good products and its overlooked greatly

12 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

But is that simply those vehicles or in general? Because I'd imagine anyone not willing to drop $400 on a Lego set won't do so, regardless of what it is.

I mean, I'd buy a rebel capital ship (I've got the 2014 ISD), but other than that probably not, and that's my point. People in their teens or collage-aged might love the clone wars and want a Gunship UCS, but can't afford to spend $400 on it. 

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

This is something I haven't been able to articulate right, but I completely agree with. I gurentee once the gunship is revealed and has, say, 2 pilots and jedi bob, there's going to be a #notourgunship campaign or something like that because some people are thinking it'll come with tons of clones.

17 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

As @PreVizsla already mentioned you are somehow wrong with your math. The kids who saw PT in 1999-2005 are now 20-30 -> the best age for purchasing power i would say as u just got a job and dont have kids maybe yet or your kids dont need that much spendings yet (a toddler does not need that much as a teenager). All of a sudden you have your budget for thigs u wanted as a kid but parents did not purchased them for you for whatever reason.

I personally would buy a Gunship which is just litle bit bigger than the system scale and with a lot of details. An army of clones that could not be found anywhere else and a possiblility to change the version of it with some extra bricks in different color and printed pieces with decorations (a twillek girl, even pinup Padme that was cut out of CW). If it will be oversized, i might give it a pas but many PT fans will not. I collect mainly minifig scale UCS.

Not sure if this is a regional thing, but where I live toddlers take up much more time and money than teens. 

Also, this is a great example of what I'm worried will happen. You say you want "an army of clones that could not be found anywhere else", which is completely unrealistic. UCS ships rarely have more than a few figures, the only ones I can think of in recent years are the falcon and the tantive. 

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

• price is around $40

• it's coming in September

• it will be available in "Lego Brand Stores"

Probably. This also gives me hope that it's wide-release, they wouldn't bother shipping it out to brand stores if there were only 250 or so copies, they wouldn't even be able to get a single copy to every brand store.

This is probably one of my most-wanted sets, it's the most iconic scene in star wars.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

2 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

I understand UCS sets are not about play, but the LAATs are iconic for having their open doors with clones inside. If they make it too big, than it lacks the ability to display with figures inside, and reduces the number of people willing to buy it. Perhaps in a style like the Tantive IV?... Unfortunately the comments about struggling with the wing strength at this size make me doubtful...

I have the same opinion. Would like to see improved Gunship of similar size as the system one. A bigger one would be probably a pass for me unless there is a ton of perfect minifigs in it that would make to Bricklinking them separate unnecessary compared to the overall price of the set.

So im also afraid based on the wing problem that it will be too oversized. If so, im curious if the idiots in the marketing really get it now, unlike with the ISD. Dam u want to sell a 300-400USD plastic toy, how big a problem it is to tose in some 10minifigs which are sold 3-4eur per piece and make the set irresistible for purchasing just because of the extra unique figs and not just one but 10. People would buy it a lot more just for the figs even if they had no room for the model itself as Bricklinking all the figs would be half of the model price. But Nooooooooo idiot marketing people are not able to understand this. Then the sets are heavily discounted like the ISD. They thought that after the Falcon, people would buy ISDs like hotcakes, but that was not the scenario. Falcon was sold out for an entire year - it was impossible to get it on the first christmas year it was released - scalpers got their for 800 and sold right away for 1000-1200 with 200-400 easy profit. With ISD there was no problem getting it on the release and the subsequent AFOL day, now its everywhere and its discounted minimum 100Eur from the original price to have even a chance to be sold.

For the ISD, i have the previous UCS and that seems almost perfect for me, just need to build a landing platform for it and that exactly what i love on minifig scales UCS. U either display them alone or build a nice scenario with minifigs around them.So am again curious how will they handle this.

23 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, I'd buy a rebel capital ship (I've got the 2014 ISD), but other than that probably not, and that's my point. People in their teens or collage-aged might love the clone wars and want a Gunship UCS, but can't afford to spend $400 on it. 

This is something I haven't been able to articulate right, but I completely agree with. I gurentee once the gunship is revealed and has, say, 2 pilots and jedi bob, there's going to be a #notourgunship campaign or something like that because some people are thinking it'll come with tons of clones.

I feel like this is an expectation of failure. Is it so horrible to expect more PT-era UCS sets, given we've had nearly a whole 20 years of purely OT ones? I'd hate to think the conversation would be skewed the other way if it were sequel vehicles instead.

Sure, you might not buy an LAAT at that price, but there are people who would/will. People can save money for stuff they want. $400 worth of other sets will always be there, but a $400 Gunship won't. And again, I'm one of those people who cares more about the model than the figures. Also, a lot of you fail to realize the absolutely absurd amount of money some kids have. Not everyone is a struggling college student. To say that is to really ignore the reality of the situation. Some people, as they grow older, might actually tend to gravitate towards more collector-focused sets, saving their money to get a few key pieces, and that's that.

To combat the minifig problem, then maybe after the Gunship, we get a UCS playset from the PT. That way both camps are satisfied.

Essentially, don't underestimate the willpower of a fan or even entire fanbase. Not all financial situations are created equal, and adults like these movies too. I'd say more 20-30 year olds buy UCS than older adults, but that's just what I've seen.

55 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

or your kids dont need that much spendings yet (a toddler does not need that much as a teenager).

Bwahahahahaha. This is the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. You clearly don't have kids.

47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not sure if this is a regional thing, but where I live toddlers take up much more time and money than teens. 

Also, this is a great example of what I'm worried will happen. You say you want "an army of clones that could not be found anywhere else", which is completely unrealistic. UCS ships rarely have more than a few figures, the only ones I can think of in recent years are the falcon and the tantive. 

Time yes, money no - teenage is more expensive. Yes, that has to be a regional thing and a difference between US and Europe. Where i live, mother (or father) can take a maternal leave for up to 3years which is even paid by the government if you were employed before. Its not too much but batter then loose the second income at all. Toddlers then need just diapers, few toys not so much food, clothes which can be second hand or inherited from older kids in family etc. A teenager needs lot more and lot expensive toys (computer, smartphone, lots of legos), expensive brand clothes as he/she will refuse to war second hand because of the other kids, school is more expensive for them etc. I have 2 twins girls, i was purchasing a ton of legos when they were toddlers, now i have to start tighten my budget as they will grow older :)                                                 

Now back on track.    What hinders them to put more minifigs in all the UCS sets ? What is the production cost of a minifig when no new mold is needed, and even if its needed. CMF is 4Eur per fig which has new molds, doublemolded arms and legs.

So isnt it smarter to put some decent amount of exclusive figs in the UCS set ? They could sell it to people who already have that set or wont be normally interested in that set because:

If there is 1 exclusive minifig in a 400Eur set, u just BL it for 50 Eur and save the money and space and eventually u are able to build that set out of your own bricks so it does not bother u. But what if there are 6 exclusive figs ? Would u spend 300Eur on BL for all the figs or just purchase the entire set for 400Eur ?? So what is the production cost of including 6 exclusive minifigs in a 400E set compared to the benefit of increased sales of that set because also people who own the previous edition will buy it and also minifig collectors will buy it and sell the model or scrap it for parts. If cmf is 4Eur then 6 figs are 24Eur extra in fig for a set that will be difficult to sell for its full price and stores have to discount it.

Edited by STARHAWK