MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Based on the Luke minifig with the AT-AT (and the past couple Rebel pilot minifigures released), it seems Lego is reverting back to the original helmet mold, correct? A great move IMO.

(Apologies if this has already been addressed!)

18 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

Pictures from the catalogue @promobricks.de.

That cannon on the AAT is a nightmare. Hopefully we can mod it with ease. I see what they were thinking, but there's no need for that many cylinders. 

47 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Based on the Luke minifig with the AT-AT (and the past couple Rebel pilot minifigures released), it seems Lego is reverting back to the original helmet mold, correct? A great move IMO.

(Apologies if this has already been addressed!)

I mean, none of us can say for sure, but the evidence would certainly suggest so - that's three sets now that they've used the old helmet in since they brought out the new one in 2018. What I do personally like about the new helmet is that you can put it on TROS Rey and recreate her in the X-Wing. :)

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That cannon on the AAT is a nightmare. Hopefully we can mod it with ease. I see what they were thinking, but there's no need for that many cylinders. 

Luckily you can just leave off 1-3 of those cylinders.

39 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I mean, none of us can say for sure, but the evidence would certainly suggest so - that's three sets now that they've used the old helmet in since they brought out the new one in 2018. What I do personally like about the new helmet is that you can put it on TROS Rey and recreate her in the X-Wing. :)

That's the one bad thing about the old helmet, you need a head with a visor, which limits purist customs and means your pilots have about 3 different heads to use. Looking at the resistance x-wing helmet, I don't get why they couldn't have done something of that size with the dual-molding, instead of the comically large one they made for the 2018 x-wing.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That cannon on the AAT is a nightmare.

The new image definitely didn't make me like the AAT more. Just another thing to fix once I get the set in hand.

44 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I mean, none of us can say for sure, but the evidence would certainly suggest so - that's three sets now that they've used the old helmet in since they brought out the new one in 2018.

As far as I remember, the dual-molded helmet only appeared in the X-Wing and some keychains made of the figures from that set. The old helmet appearing in the AT-AT cements that they've gone back to the old design in my opinion because there isn't any potential reason that they would switch back to the old helmet like there was for the Snowspeeder last year.

9 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Looking at the resistance x-wing helmet, I don't get why they couldn't have done something of that size with the dual-molding, instead of the comically large one they made for the 2018 x-wing.

The Resistance pilots have much sleeker, form-fitting helmets, while the Rebel pilot helmets are quite bulky. There's really no way to dual-mold the Rebel helmet without it coming out oversized. It's unfortunate. They should honestly just make more sets a la Sandspeeder, so we can get more pilot variety (As well as rereleasing Biggs and Porkins. That female pilot was a Godsend).

4 minutes ago, MGS6735 said:

in my opinion because there isn't any potential reason that they would switch back to the old helmet like there was for the Snowspeeder last year.

Most everyone hated it? :laugh:

And unlike the new Stormtrooper helmet, we didn't get a chance for it to grow on us (maybe for the best).

16 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Luckily you can just leave off 1-3 of those cylinders.

Yeah, I'm not a huge modder, but I'm probably gonna leave off the first two cylinders from the base.

Just now, ARC2149Nova said:

Most everyone hated it? :laugh:

And unlike the new Stormtrooper helmet, we didn't get a chance for it to grow on us (maybe for the best).

Yeah, I didn't like it either. The reason I cited in relation to the Snowspeeder is that they may not have wanted to bring back the new helmet so that they wouldn't have to redesign the Snowspeeder cockpit to fit them in there. That's entirely based on speculation from when people got the set and found that figures with the new helmets don't fit.

Just now, MGS6735 said:

Yeah, I didn't like it either. The reason I cited in relation to the Snowspeeder is that they may not have wanted to bring back the new helmet so that they wouldn't have to redesign the Snowspeeder cockpit to fit them in there. That's entirely based on speculation from when people got the set and found that figures with the new helmets don't fit.

That's interesting. The Snowspeeders are quite tight as is where the pilots are concerned, so that would make sense. Lego's (apparent) laziness saved our beloved helmets! :grin:

I prefer the general shape of the old helmet design (it's aged extremely well), but it is a shame that it doesn't have a molded-in visor. Perhaps that's something that can be rectified down the road.

1 minute ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I prefer the general shape of the old helmet design (it's aged extremely well), but it is a shame that it doesn't have a molded-in visor. Perhaps that's something that can be rectified down the road.

I don't know how strong just molding the visor itself would be, maybe that's why they need two shells (one for the translucent visor, one for the helmet itself) thus making it supremely bulky. If they could keep the current mold but just add a visor without too much fuss, that would probably work well.

So even with new pics from German catalog it looks like both Obi-Wan and Anakin have burns on their robes from Mustafar. I seriously don't get Lego logic here, they specifically made legs for both of them without burn marks( I thought it was done so they could reuse their legs for normal robes in summer sets). I really hope images in catalog are prelims and Anakin and Obi-Wan will get normal undamaged robes in new sets.

Edited by benderisgreat

another thing about the rebel pilot helmets is that, unlike resistance helmets, they have chinstraps. Because of this, I think the printed pilot faces are still the best solution we can get to uphold accuracy

35 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

The Resistance pilots have much sleeker, form-fitting helmets, while the Rebel pilot helmets are quite bulky. There's really no way to dual-mold the Rebel helmet without it coming out oversized. It's unfortunate. They should honestly just make more sets a la Sandspeeder, so we can get more pilot variety (As well as rereleasing Biggs and Porkins. That female pilot was a Godsend).

Yeah, I'm not a huge modder, but I'm probably gonna leave off the first two cylinders from the base.

Agreed about the pilots, currently there's only 4 x-wing pilot heads with the modern visor look. The happy/scared male, the happy/angry female, luke's, and the Theron Nett head that one came in one set 6 years ago. Biggs and wedge at least need unique face prints with the visor.

17 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

So even with new pics from German catalog it looks like both Obi-Wan and Anakin have burns on their robes from Mustafar. I seriously don't get Lego logic here, they specifically made legs for both of them without burn marks( I thought it was done so they could reuse their legs for normal robes in summer sets). I really hope images in catalog are prelims and Anakin and Obi-Wan will get normal undamaged robes in new sets.

It is weird and pretty annoying, would it really be that difficult to just have robes without the burn marks?

I'm glad to get better pictures. I quite like the yellow(or perhaps  they're  gold?)accents on the Night Buzzard even if it isn't terribly accurate. We still need better pictures of the interior because that picture really doesn't help much. I can't tell if you can even fit 2 figures in there. I'm still hoping there's more space somewhere else on the craft for storage or for more figures but there likely isn't much. I particularly hope there's some space in the back section as I'm fairly certain that's the bridge of the ship. The only other issue I have with this set is I feel they should've raised the back section a bit as the bridge of the vehicle should be sitting a bit higher as it does in the in-universe model. The set has it set a bit too low. That's a fairly minor complaint though as I think they did an exceptional job recreating the unique shapes of the Night Buzzard overall.

It's nice to get a better look at the other picture of the AAT. I still think it looks really good despite its inaccuracies though there are several bizarrely obvious missteps in the design, chiefly the upside down cannons on the sides and the primary cannon being way too long. The blue stripe up the center is definitely a glaring omission and could easily have been added with stickers, same with the missile pods on the skirt of the vehicle and the 3 handle segments on either side of the core of the tank.

On 2nd thought, the pieces used on the front and the skirt area are curved in 2 directions so they would have to be printed.

Edited by ToaDraco

On 6/11/2020 at 1:44 PM, Fenghuang0296 said:

You mean there isn’t gonna be a $10 4+ Razorcrest? But that sounded so incredibly believable . . :tongue:

Sure we are going to get one. The price point points to a Microfighter set with mando. We will get it later - i assume after the lease and some sales of the big Razor Crest and retirement of the AT-ST with mando.

Or maybe they will surprise me and release it simultanously or just shortly after if they keep the september release of the big Razor Crest.to enable less rich kids to have Mando and it would be a nice combo with existing BP.

I already purchased 7 or 8 mando battlepacks and they see this pattern (the set was sold out at one of our brick&mortar retailers which had the best price of 12.7 Eur - they now have only the Sith troopers BP

Or maybe even surprise me and put a new beskar mando in to pump the Razor Crest owners for another 10 USD to get the fig that should be already in the original RC set :D :D

Ill hold on with purchasing a second mando on secondary market - im sure we will get him in a cheaper set in some time. Then i get some to have more variability with my mandos in addition to the Maul mandos, old Death Watch BP, Bobas, Sabine + the new mando BP

12 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

Sure we are going to get one. The price point points to a Microfighter set with mando. We will get it later - i assume after the lease and some sales of the big Razor Crest and retirement of the AT-ST with mando.

We might eventually get a Razor Crest Microfighter, but the 2021 "leak" list is fake, that's been confirmed as such by reliable Instagram leakers.  If we do end up getting one next winter, it's completely coincidental.  

Also, about the new pictures, I actually think the AAT looks...better?  I know the long gun isn't accurate, because the front skirt area should be about the same length as the main turret, but I think the gun being longer makes the whole thing look a bit less stubby.  So, it's less accurate but I think it makes the model look a bit less compressed.  

I like that they know use a candle pice for the clones blaster rifle instead of a technic pin. Not sure how it will look IRL though.

8 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

I like that they know use a candle pice for the clones blaster rifle instead of a technic pin. Not sure how it will look IRL though.

It should look pretty good, I like it too. It's always nice to have some customization in the weapons, even if it's just a candlestick or a technic part, it makes it look like there's more than 3 blasters and a stud shooter in the theme.

12 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, about the new pictures, I actually think the AAT looks...better?  I know the long gun isn't accurate, because the front skirt area should be about the same length as the main turret, but I think the gun being longer makes the whole thing look a bit less stubby.  So, it's less accurate but I think it makes the model look a bit less compressed.  

To be fair, I think LEGO sets do look better when they're designed as LEGO interpretations rather than being as accurate as possible. This is probably a discussion for another thread, but I think that embracing the playset side of things works better for system sets, as toys at least. The first thing that comes to mind is Droidekas - while the more recent ones are technically more accurate, they won't beat the original ca. 2000 ones for getting the idea across, and they just look so much cleaner at the scale.

Agree with previous points that variations on the standard blasters are great, especially if it's just adding on pieces.

Are the cylinders in the AAT main gun the new black candlestick pieces?

Seems like a win that they have added extras haha

Does anyone else feel the quality of SW minifigures is regressing right now? It's like they're on a tighter budget since 2019.

-Hoth rebels used to have leg prints. Since 2019 they don't have them anymore.
-Snowtroopers used to have fabric kamas. In the 2019/20 sets they don't have them anymore either.
-There used to be X-Wing and Snowspeeder pilots, distinguishable by their hands and prints. As of 2019, all pilots are X-Wing pilots.
-The rebel pilots in the 2017 UCS Snowspeeder got arm prints. This hasn't happened again, not even for the UCS Y-Wing.
-RotS Anakin still has to use the old TCW hair instead of one of the more accurate pieces that have been created in the meantime - possibly because it was already in production in this color.
-Mustafar Anakin and Obi-Wan with burnt robes are re-used in other sets.
-We're getting, what, 4 new molds for SW minifigure pieces this year? It used to be 10-20. Even Ahsoka who is a fan-favorite character has to re-use another character's piece.

Edited by Graupensuppe

15 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Does anyone else feel the quality of SW minifigures is regressing right now? It's like they're on a tighter budget since 2019.

-Hoth rebels used to have leg prints. Since 2019 they don't have them anymore.
-Snowtroopers used to have fabric kamas. In the 2019/20 sets they don't have them anymore either.
-There used to be X-Wing and Snowspeeder pilots, distinguishable by their hands and prints. As of 2019, all pilots are X-Wing pilots.
-The rebel pilots in the 2017 UCS Snowspeeder got arm prints. This hasn't happened again, not even for the UCS Y-Wing.
-RotS Anakin still has to use the old TCW hair instead of one of the more accurate pieces that have been created in the meantime - possibly because it was already in production in this color.
-Mustafar Anakin and Obi-Wan with burnt robes are re-used in other sets.
-We're getting, what, 4 new molds for SW minifigure pieces this year? It used to be 10-20. Even Ahsoka who is a fan-favorite character has to re-use another character's piece.

To me all of this suggests that LEGO is trying to cut costs. All of these things are small corners that can be cut without drastically affecting the overall product.