MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

27 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I often prefer no leg printing, being firmly in the camp that believes SW minifigs started getting too detailed around the 2013 mark, but what galls me most is awful thin white and flesh printing. Particularly on rebel pilots. White belts, vests and straps look pink against orange, blue against green. Compare it to the original pilots from 1999 and its much, much worse. Edit in an attempt to get back on topic: the new Ahsoka, with white lines on her orange face, is going to be interesting from that POV.

This is the one area where I do think they decreased in quality. The past few years any light colored print on a darker color is way too faded, and they even change the figure on the box art to make it look like it's not.

11 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, I agree about the unnecessary printing at times.  I was looking at my Cloud City set's figures earlier today and paid attention for the first time about which figures actually have leg printing.  On the lighter colored figures or ones with more elaborate printing (Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Luke, Han's dual molded legs with the boots, C-3PO), it's nice, but even on Vader, the leg printing isn't really noticeable unless you're looking up close at it.  Or take some of the other figures, like Lando or Lobot (or, for example, a Rebel pilot, or Imperial Officer).  They're just wearing a costume that's plain on their legs, there's no need to have random folds in their pants, especially since in some cases, the actual costume doesn't even have them. 

I agree if the person has armor that extends to the legs, a shirt/upper body covering that extends to their legs, or a distinct change in colors of their lower half, it's nice, but I don't think every single figure needs it.  I mean, I'm looking at a picture of ROTJ Luke (the famous one of him with the lightsaber on top of the Sail Barge) and his lower half is literally all black, there's no need to put leg printing because he's just wearing black pants and boots without any folds or anything.

I totally agree. Except the above example, most figures are as detailed or, like you point out, more detailed than they need to be. Figures like ROTJ luke don't need to constantly be updated if they look great already, or have needless detail that makes them less accurate.

To "stay on target", applying it to this wave, it appears to have some pretty great figures. Clearly the 4 new clone designs, which are super detailed (and I'm pretty excited that we're getting a jetpack in blue), as well as the KOR, Ahsoka, the mon cal and Vi Moradi. The rest of the figures that haven't been updated are fine, the only ones that I would say are bad are the royal guards, where I agree with @ARC2149Nova's suggestion of replacing the cape with a poncho type piece.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

22 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I don't get the fuss about leg printing. Do we really need crease lines on all black pants? Sometimes no leg print is good. Imo, if it looks simple enough (as some designs are), no leg print is necessary. If it looks too busy on the torso, some leg printing can spread it out. But by-and-large, leg prints are a luxury, not a necessity.

Edit: A quick brickset search makes me stand corrected, as to the number of SW figs without a leg print in recent years. Last edit said there's been no plain legs since 2015, which is false.

I don't agree, in that case just plain sweathers and t-shirts could also be no torso printing. I actually switch all non printed parts to any printed part that could fit, thats how much I cannot stand it. 

15 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Most still wouldn't buy it. I know I'd rather get the figures off of Bricklink than shell out $100 for a set I could care less about. :wink:

I think it's more or less like with all other remakes. The young kids would wantit, since 2015 was too along ago and most of them will not simply be aware that there were a similar set in 2015, as their parents. Maybe they will lose slightly on sales from some AFOLs who usually buy remakes (but not when they are this similiar), but this they might still save in production cost, since they change the set so little. 

58 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I don't agree, in that case just plain sweathers and t-shirts could also be no torso printing. I actually switch all non printed parts to any printed part that could fit, thats how much I cannot stand it. 

Well, you do you. At least most of Lego's t-shirts have actual details, be them logos, jackets, neckline, etc. Pants are a different story. Sure, pockets are nice, so is a belt, maybe shoes/boots, but by and large, it is a luxury. The fact that you have printed parts to swap shows how much this isn't an issue.

Either way, Lego does what it does, we do what we like with the end result. It's all part of the fun. :classic:

22 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Either way, Lego does what it does, we do what we like with the end result. It's all part of the fun. :classic:

This is very true. Think how many Batmen are now running around stubbing their little toes just so a bunch of generic Imperial officers get to wear boots.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Well, you do you. At least most of Lego's t-shirts have actual details, be them logos, jackets, neckline, etc. Pants are a different story. Sure, pockets are nice, so is a belt, maybe shoes/boots, but by and large, it is a luxury. The fact that you have printed parts to swap shows how much this isn't an issue.

Yeah, look back 10 years or so and very few SW figures had leg printing. Now almost all of them do, and the ones that don't really don't need it.

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

As @ARC2149Nova says, there's a difference between plain pants and plain torsos. Shirts usually have the cut for the neck and are more creased than pants, and sweaters have a much more visible pattern for the cloth used than pants. Aside from maybe pockets, which I don't think luke's ROTJ pants even have, there's not really a point to LEGO spending more to print them.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

This is very true. Think how many Batmen are now running around stubbing their little toes just so a bunch of generic Imperial officers get to wear boots.

We've failed so many batmen just to give footwear to the empire, what have we done? :laugh:

46 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, look back 10 years or so and very few SW figures had leg printing. Now almost all of them do, and the ones that don't really don't need it.

As @ARC2149Nova says, there's a difference between plain pants and plain torsos. Shirts usually have the cut for the neck and are more creased than pants, and sweaters have a much more visible pattern for the cloth used than pants. Aside from maybe pockets, which I don't think luke's ROTJ pants even have, there's not really a point to LEGO spending more to print them.

We've failed so many batmen just to give footwear to the empire, what have we done? :laugh:

Most characters at least having has some kind of visible shoes that are not the same colour as the pants, just having plain one coloured legs just looks unsufficients realistic to me. Still cheap not to add anything. Not talking about Luke here, just in general. 

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

The fact that you have printed parts to swap shows how much this isn't an issue.

Well that could be an excuse to anything lacking in official lego sets, just bricklink and swap it a better suitable part of your choice, it's gonna cost more money and time then if lego did it better from the beginning

33 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Well that could be an excuse to anything lacking in official lego sets, just bricklink and swap it a better suitable part of your choice, it's gonna cost more money and time then if lego did it better from the beginning

It's part of the fun. Don't like it, it's Lego, make it better. I think we're starting to forget what makes this hobby unique. Either way, it doesn't matter as to this topic, since the Final Duel figures are the same as in 2015 (sans new hood for Palps). It's all a matter of preference anyway.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It's part of the fun. Don't like it, it's Lego, make it better. I think we're starting to forget what makes this hobby unique. Either way, it doesn't matter as to this topic, since the Final Duel figures are the same as in 2015 (sans new hood for Palps). It's all a matter of preference anyway.

I do think some minor updates were warranted to make this set worth a repeat. I bought the last one and I would definitely buy this one if the figures had something new to offer but they don’t, so I probably won’t. Personally, I don’t think there is ever too much detail on a minifigure. Even very small things make a ton of difference to me, being an extremely observant and detail oriented person

4 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I do think some minor updates were warranted to make this set worth a repeat. I bought the last one and I would definitely buy this one if the figures had something new to offer but they don’t, so I probably won’t. Personally, I don’t think there is ever too much detail on a minifigure. Even very small things make a ton of difference to me, being an extremely observant and detail oriented person

ROYAL GUARD PONCHO. ROYAL GUARD PONCHO. ROYAL GUARD PONCHO.

Jokes aside, besides an update to the royal guard, I don't think there's anything they could really do. Maybe palpatine's face? This might just be me but I never liked his newer tan one.

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don't disagree, like @Mandalorianknight said, and I said, Royal Guard updates I could see, but really, I doubt they'd do something truly different for those figures. Maybe some new torso prints, (like Luke's white flap, which has only been in the Ewok Village), but other than that, all the figures are really represented well (again, the Guards could be better, but I've always liked them) Even the "new hat" Palpatine is kind of a downgrade, with his classic hood looking much more accurate. I appreciate that some love detail, and I'm not against it, but in my opinion, if Lego gives it to us, fine, and if they don't, fine.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

besides an update to the royal guard, I don't think there's anything they could really do. Maybe palpatine's face? This might just be me but I never liked his newer tan one.

Me either. His grey just looks better. Maybe a light stone grey head would convey that pale gaunt mug we all know and love. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I don't disagree, like @Mandalorianknight said, and I said, Royal Guard updates I could see, but really, I doubt they'd do something truly different for those figures. Maybe some new torso prints, (like Luke's white flap, which has only been in the Ewok Village), but other than that, all the figures are really represented well (again, the Guards could be better, but I've always liked them) Even the "new hat" Palpatine is kind of a downgrade, with his classic hood looking much more accurate. I appreciate that some love detail, and I'm not against it, but in my opinion, if Lego gives it to us, fine, and if they don't, fine.

Me either. His grey just looks better. Maybe a light stone grey head would convey that pale gaunt mug we all know and love. :laugh:

Yeah, the old hood piece quite literally looks as if it was molded expressly for palptine's ROTJ robes. And tan is *technically* more accurate but it just looks wrong on him, I agree that a lighter grey would work better. 

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

ROYAL GUARD PONCHO. ROYAL GUARD PONCHO. ROYAL GUARD PONCHO.

Jokes aside, besides an update to the royal guard, I don't think there's anything they could really do. Maybe palpatine's face? This might just be me but I never liked his newer tan one.

I know it's already been dicussed but, Luke's hair could be much better, compared to more modern parts that piece doesn't even look like hair.

We are devolving fast here. Try to get back on track everyone.

Just saw another image of the AAT (it's the same one as before but with some photo editing to make it look clearer I think) and the thing that stuck out to me is how long the main barrel looks. It might just be perspective, but I'm going to have to mod that if it ends up being like that irl.

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

Just saw another image of the AAT (it's the same one as before but with some photo editing to make it look clearer I think) and the thing that stuck out to me is how long the main barrel looks. It might just be perspective, but I'm going to have to mod that if it ends up being like that irl.

Yeah, it looks longer than the rest of the tank. Doesn't look to difficult to fix if you don't want it, just remove a few of the smaller parts along the length.

I might have missed it, but do we have any reason to believe there are any *unknown* sets remaining in 2020?

1 hour ago, Tusserte said:

I might have missed it, but do we have any reason to believe there are any *unknown* sets remaining in 2020?

The only sets we haven't seen images of are the UCS/MBS/whatever for the second half of 2020 and the rumored baby yoda bust. Other than that there's no reason to think we'd see anything else.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The only sets we haven't seen images of are the UCS/MBS/whatever for the second half of 2020 and the rumored baby yoda bust. Other than that there's no reason to think we'd see anything else.

You say that... ;)

Having seen that clearer AAT picture I actually think it looks really good as a representation of the animated ones in the show. I haven't looked at them side by side, but just the LEGO one alone looks nice to me, especially in the alternate angle. From recollection alone, the show model always looked a little wonky compared to the film ones in TPM.

I still shudder in trepidation of the confirmed price, but I'm looking forward to getting a Star Wars set after all this time.

15 hours ago, Tusserte said:

In addition to what @Mandalorianknight said we also haven't seen any pictures of the upcoming Sith Mosaic.

12 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

You say that... ;)

Im thinking of the possibility of another Amazon exklusive 

14 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

You say that... ;)

Damnit, I just bought a Headhunter too... :innocent:

(I don't know anything, just fingers crossed)

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Damnit, I just bought a Headhunter too... :innocent:

(I don't know anything, just fingers crossed)

I don't know if it'd be clone wars, but another headhunter would be pretty cool.

17 hours ago, MandRproductions said:

You say that... ;)

So there's another one? I'd guess a mandalorian set since we already know TLJ rushed 2 baby yoda sets into production, why not a third set?

5 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

In addition to what @Mandalorianknight said we also haven't seen any pictures of the upcoming Sith Mosaic.

Forgot about that one.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, it looks longer than the rest of the tank. Doesn't look to difficult to fix if you don't want it, just remove a few of the smaller parts along the length.

I still hope it's not, in fact, the final product, as not only is the main cannon ridiculously long, but the twin side cannons seem to be upside down. Also, as I've mentioned before, the tank is missing the distinct blue stripe at the front.