MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Nope, only the US prices (excluding the Death Star duel and I-TS Transport)

Death Star Duel is supposed to be 100€, I'm pretty sure someone (not sure who) mentioned this price before the set leaked.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Death Star Duel is supposed to be 100€, I'm pretty sure someone (not sure who) mentioned this price before the set leaked.

Didn't know that but damn that's expensive

40 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

100€/$ is way too expensive! I mean 2015 set with roughly same amount of pieces and minifigs and it was 80$. So what am I missing here? No way it's inflation as some will try to justify this ridiculous price. It's just Lego being to greedy.

We've known the prices for all the sets but the resistance ITS transport. I've addressed this before but there isn't a justifiable reason for the price hikes on any of these sets be it molds, prints or even designs. My wild speculation says that their using the star wars IP prices to recoup on costs used on other IPs like the monkie kid but that's just speculation.

With the pricing ranges lego is offering nowadays it's becoming a toy for the upper middle class only, in the long run I can see this hurting the company massively

1 hour ago, SCREDEYE said:

With the pricing ranges lego is offering nowadays it's becoming a toy for the upper middle class only, in the long run I can see this hurting the company massively

That's always been the case though, nothing new about that

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I do wonder though, will this Ahsoka have the same aftermarket value that the others have once the AAT retires?  I mean, it's a relatively cheap set, but in my opinion, it looks the best out of any Ahsoka we've had so far (the early ones aren't really compatible with non-CW eyed figures and the Rebels one's eyes have always been weird to me), and I can't imagine we'll see a figure of her again for a little while.

The season 3-5 and rebels ahsoka both cost more than the set they came in in good condition in the US at least, so I'd estimate in 3-6 years she'll be worth about $30-40, provided there aren't any ahsoka figures after this. Based on what information I could see on bricklink, the price has steadily increased for both and the season 3 ahsoka only recently started selling for $50.

4 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

100€/$ is way too expensive! I mean 2015 set with roughly same amount of pieces and minifigs and it was 80$. So what am I missing here? No way it's inflation as some will try to justify this ridiculous price. It's just Lego being to greedy.

Inflation takes it from $80 to $86.12. So there's definately something missing here, IMO the prices for some of these are just suspicous. grievous starfighter and death star duel aren't just "overpriced" in the usual way people complain, they're a good deal more then how "overpriced" lego usually is. I'm not saying the leakers are wrong, but I still think there's something off with some of the prices.

53 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yup, legos are high-quality products, they've always been pretty expensive.

55 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yup, legos are high-quality products, they've always been pretty expensive.

'High-quality' kinda triggers me, LEGO's quality certainly isn't what it used to be (in terms of durability, printing etc.). That's my main problem with the slow increases in pricing, the prices are going up but quality is staying behind / decreasing slightly

3 minutes ago, LegoStarWarsFan777 said:

It might be a bit early to ask this question but, when do you guys think that we will hear about the next wave (like pricepoints and what not)?

Probably around August

I noticed with some of the leaked images that there’s a City set with a figure who has the Finn hair piece in medium nougat for the first time which will be perfect for AOTC Anakin

59 minutes ago, LegoStarWarsFan777 said:

It might be a bit early to ask this question but, when do you guys think that we will hear about the next wave (like pricepoints and what not)?

Usually a week or so before actual release.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Absolutely not. As a teenager I was able to afford a few sets working minimum wage and now as an adult earning alot more I cannot justify the prices for each wave. This wave costs 30+30+40+70+90+100+160+?(ITS set)= 520$ and that's just the prices we know for that small catalogue of sets coming out not counting the razor Crest, buildable child or brickheadz, and what do we get for that price? I'm buying three of the smaller sets and I'm still paying 110$ for a more expensive battlepack, a blocky AAT and a scaled down KoR ship. And these are US prices too, no way are these translating into something better elsewhere.

For the sake if staying on topic you can PM me to further discuss but the above sequence is the price point for each set coming this August for those that arent aware.

Edited by SCREDEYE

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

'High-quality' kinda triggers me, LEGO's quality certainly isn't what it used to be (in terms of durability, printing etc.). That's my main problem with the slow increases in pricing, the prices are going up but quality is staying behind / decreasing slightly

Definitely not high quality. I mean it's 2020 and minifigs with no leg prints is still considered ok for Lego to do:ugh:. When Lego started making arm printing and dual molded legs for cmf in 2011-2012, I thought by this point in time it will be a new norm but nope. 

11 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

I mean it's 2020 and minifigs with no leg prints is still considered ok for Lego to do:ugh:

I don't get the fuss about leg printing. Do we really need crease lines on all black pants? Sometimes no leg print is good. Imo, if it looks simple enough (as some designs are), no leg print is necessary. If it looks too busy on the torso, some leg printing can spread it out. But by-and-large, leg prints are a luxury, not a necessity.

Edit: A quick brickset search makes me stand corrected, as to the number of SW figs without a leg print in recent years. Last edit said there's been no plain legs since 2015, which is false.

Edited by ARC2149Nova

23 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I don't get the fuss about leg printing. Do we really need crease lines on all black pants? Sometimes no leg print is good. Imo, if it looks simple enough (as some designs are), no leg print is necessary. If it looks too busy on the torso, some leg printing can spread it out. But by-and-large, leg prints are a luxury, not a necessity.

Not all figures need leg printing or dualmolded legs but a ton of them that do desperately need them just don't get them (not just within this theme)

44 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not all figures need leg printing or dualmolded legs but a ton of them that do desperately need them just don't get them (not just within this theme)

I get that, I do. But sometimes it comes off as "All figures need arm/leg printing/dual-molding" which isn't true.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

No kidding, my bricks from the 80's/90's are tough , but those from after 2000 can't even take a fall of the table or there is a dent in them. I think they even get scratches just from looking at them. *huh*

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Edit: A quick brickset search makes me stand corrected, as to the number of SW figs without a leg print in recent years. Last edit said there's been no plain legs since 2015, which is false.

Well in my opinion almost every minifigure needs leg prints. Ant it's not a luxury, it adds details to minifigures. Arm printing though isn't necessary for everyone, but should be way more common. And Death star duel remake doesn't feel like it has good quality minifigures.

10 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

And Death star duel remake doesn't feel like it has good quality minifigures.

I agree. Vader and Palps are fine (although that new hood really doesn't work on Palpatine) but the rest is rather underdetailed. Luke should've gotten dualmolded legs in black and DBG (no need for printing) to show off his boots and the Royal Guards could've at least gotten some printing to continue the robes onto the legs.

9 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I agree. Vader and Palps are fine (although that new hood really doesn't work on Palpatine) but the rest is rather underdetailed. Luke should've gotten dualmolded legs in black and DBG (no need for printing) to show off his boots and the Royal Guards could've at least gotten some printing to continue the robes onto the legs.

Luke doesn't need dual molded legs. Both the pants and boots on the costume are black so molding them in two different colors would have been inaccurate. I don't think leg printing would add that much detail to him either. Its one of the few minifigures where using plain black legs is fine.

I do think the Royal Guards should have been updated. They're more or less the same minifigure since 2001 with minor alterations and are starting to show their age. They really don't need to still be using capes anymore when the skirt piece the Praetorian Guards use would be a much more accurate representation of their flowing robes.

5 minutes ago, wesker said:

Luke doesn't need dual molded legs. Both the pants and boots on the costume are black so molding them in two different colors would have been inaccurate. I don't think leg printing would add that much detail to him either. Its one of the few minifigures where using plain black legs is fine.

He doesn't absolutely need it but this set really needed something unique going for the figures :def_shrug: Does make it much easier to skip though

5 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Well in my opinion almost every minifigure needs leg prints. Ant it's not a luxury, it adds details to minifigures. Arm printing though isn't necessary for everyone, but should be way more common.

Having print that's literally a few creases most wouldn't notice under normal light is what I call pointless. Sure, Imperial Crew/Gunners look good for having it, but it's unnecessary. Lego is a business, and if there's no need for printing, they should take the appropriate cost-cutting measures. Detail for the sake of detail is for action figures, not Lego. It's nice having all the bells and whistles, but no doubt it's also very expensive, hence why it's so rare (CMF's are "collectible", they're meant to have the best).

What's really confusing is all the characters that need it, have it: Luke (every outfit sans Jedi, where as @wesker says isn't necessary), Han, Chewie, C-3PO (though he could use the silver leg), Leia (except ANH), Vader, Boba Fett, Palpatine, Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, the list is virtually endless. Don't even get me started on characters from the Prequels.

Let me be clear: I like detail, who doesn't, but I'm okay with "plain" figures as well. It is very well a luxury, as is Lego itself, lest we forget. :wink:

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

this set really needed something unique going for the figures :def_shrug:

Most still wouldn't buy it. I know I'd rather get the figures off of Bricklink than shell out $100 for a set I could care less about. :wink:

4 hours ago, wesker said:

I do think the Royal Guards should have been updated. They're more or less the same minifigure since 2001 with minor alterations and are starting to show their age. They really don't need to still be using capes anymore when the skirt piece the Praetorian Guards use would be a much more accurate representation of their flowing robes.

I've heard this before, and I have to dissent here: while capes aren't ideal, neither is the skirt. Maybe the cape + skirt, but here's my solution: A poncho in red. The Royal Guards have stuff under the robes (actual armor), that would be nice to see finally acknowledged by Lego. An armored torso print, with a red poncho (maybe printed), and I think the cape and a skirt would give us all the flow of their robes (as they do have capes plus the robes we see)

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Having print that's literally a few creases most wouldn't notice under normal light is what I call pointless. Sure, Imperial Crew/Gunners look good for having it, but it's unnecessary. Lego is a business, and if there's no need for printing, they should take the appropriate cost-cutting measures. Detail for the sake of detail is for action figures, not Lego. It's nice having all the bells and whistles, but no doubt it's also very expensive, hence why it's so rare (CMF's are "collectible", they're meant to have the best).

What's really confusing is all the characters that need it, have it: Luke (every outfit sans Jedi, where as @wesker says isn't necessary), Han, Chewie, C-3PO (though he could use the silver leg), Leia (except ANH), Vader, Boba Fett, Palpatine, Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, the list is virtually endless. Don't even get me started on characters from the Prequels.

Yeah, I agree about the unnecessary printing at times.  I was looking at my Cloud City set's figures earlier today and paid attention for the first time about which figures actually have leg printing.  On the lighter colored figures or ones with more elaborate printing (Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Luke, Han's dual molded legs with the boots, C-3PO), it's nice, but even on Vader, the leg printing isn't really noticeable unless you're looking up close at it.  Or take some of the other figures, like Lando or Lobot (or, for example, a Rebel pilot, or Imperial Officer).  They're just wearing a costume that's plain on their legs, there's no need to have random folds in their pants, especially since in some cases, the actual costume doesn't even have them. 

I agree if the person has armor that extends to the legs, a shirt/upper body covering that extends to their legs, or a distinct change in colors of their lower half, it's nice, but I don't think every single figure needs it.  I mean, I'm looking at a picture of ROTJ Luke (the famous one of him with the lightsaber on top of the Sail Barge) and his lower half is literally all black, there's no need to put leg printing because he's just wearing black pants and boots without any folds or anything.

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, I agree about the unnecessary printing at times.  I was looking at my Cloud City set's figures earlier today and paid attention for the first time about which figures actually have leg printing.  On the lighter colored figures or ones with more elaborate printing (Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Luke, Han's dual molded legs with the boots, C-3PO), it's nice, but even on Vader, the leg printing isn't really noticeable unless you're looking up close at it.  Or take some of the other figures, like Lando or Lobot (or, for example, a Rebel pilot, or Imperial Officer).  They're just wearing a costume that's plain on their legs, there's no need to have random folds in their pants, especially since in some cases, the actual costume doesn't even have them. 

I agree if the person has armor that extends to the legs, a shirt/upper body covering that extends to their legs, or a distinct change in colors of their lower half, it's nice, but I don't think every single figure needs it.  I mean, I'm looking at a picture of ROTJ Luke (the famous one of him with the lightsaber on top of the Sail Barge) and his lower half is literally all black, there's no need to put leg printing because he's just wearing black pants and boots without any folds or anything.

Spot on analysis, thank you.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Agreed ,especially on the colour point. Of the figures on my desk I've got an old TIE pilot stood with basically no printing next to the new style scout trooper, and they both look great. (To be fair I think that scout trooper is one of the best figs LEGO have done for years.) I think the contrast makes it way more noticeable on lighter coloured figs, and therefore probably more worthwhile for added detail.

I often prefer no leg printing, being firmly in the camp that believes SW minifigs started getting too detailed around the 2013 mark, but what galls me most is awful thin white and flesh printing. Particularly on rebel pilots. White belts, vests and straps look pink against orange, blue against green. Compare it to the original pilots from 1999 and its much, much worse. Edit in an attempt to get back on topic: the new Ahsoka, with white lines on her orange face, is going to be interesting from that POV.

Edited by Redroe
Stay on target