MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

So, it seems that we are talking about the LEGO Star Wars 2020 sets. Below I have listed my thoughts on each set.

501st Legion Clone Troopers: I love this set. It seems that we are lacking Clone Wars sets, along with prequel sets in general, and the builds are great in my opinion. I love getting BARC Speeders, and the last 501st AT-RT set from the real early 2010s is one I missed out on, and I like the figures. We get 3 regular Phase 2 501st Troopers and 1 Phase 2 501st Jet Trooper, along with 2 Battle Droids. Oh, and the box art. First of all, I'm getting tired of the design that has different bricks on the box, as it seems they use that design in other themes, and I would much prefer getting completly different box art each year, as in a way it would be interesting in like 10 or 20 years to look back at all of the different box art and be like, "Oh yeah, I remember I got this set on this occasion or that occasion." And while I know that sounds like strictly a set thing, but getting different box art each year will make one think back to how they were feeling when they got the set. My point is, box art is part of a set's nostalgia I think. Anyway, back to where I was going originally: the Ahsoka Clone Trooper on the box. I have the theory that for each era, they will put different characters on the box art, so the prequels would have maybe Anakin or Obi-Wan, Clone Wars would either keep with the Ahsoka Clone Troopers, or, depending on if the set is from before Season 7, they might put Commander Cody or Captain/Commander Rex up there, if more Rebels sets are made, maybe Ezra or Kanan, and we've already observed that the original trilogy has Darth Vader and the sequels have Kylo Ren. Now, if more Resistance sets are made, they would probably put Kaz or something.

Anakin's Jedi Interceptor: I'm excited for this one. I have yet to have a Jedi Interceptor, and this will be an easy pickup for me. Now, if it's $30, that will make me slightly more hesitant on buying it when it comes out, but other than that it looks good. Now, I hate it when people say that LEGO doesn't listen to fans. I remember in 2019 when I was doing one of those product surveys that I requested Anakin's Jedi Interceptor. When I surveyed a Speed Champions set, I requested a Mini Cooper set. Look at that, both of those sets happened. Now, I know this might be coincidence, but I think that proves that LEGO does listen to fans. Now, if the set comes out with a prequel character on the box art, I think that proves my theory on box art.

AAT: Yes. Just yes. Now, the front bottom is the only thing I think I dislike, but that may actually be easy to modify. We don't get many land based vehicles in the Star Wars theme (not counting speeder bikes), and this is really cool. The figures. Man, this set has a great figure selection. Season 7 Siege of Mandalore Ahsoka, an Ahsoka Clone Trooper, and 2 Battle Droids. I really like this thing, and I think we should keep the AATs on a 5 year cycle. Now, I only wish this one was a little bigger, but other than that, no real complaints other than no Super Battle Droids or Droidekas.

Knights of Ren Transport Ship: So, do I want this set? Yes. Will I buy it in the first year of its release? Probably not. I don't buy many of the bigger LEGO sets in terms of price, so this one isn't the highest priority, but it does look cool.

General Grevious' Starfighter: $80. 80 DOLLARS. Look, I really want this thing, but it's $10 more expensive than the Knights of Ren Transport Ship, and it doesn't look like it. I think $60 would have been more fare, but maybe on Amazon it will be on sale on release day. The figures aren't the greatest selection, either, with Obi-Wan being the same from the Duel on Mustafar set, but I think I know why:  the set comes with an Airborne Clone Trooper, so maybe the idea is that this set takes place just before and during Order 66, and that's why his clothing has some damage on them. The Grevious is the same one we've been getting, which is a good figure, but he doesn't appear to have the same color from Episode 3, with Episode 3 Grevious being more of a tan color than white, and I like the whit version, I would just like to have 2 versions: The white one is the Clone Wars version and the tan version is the Episode 3 version.

Death Star Final Duel: Ok, I'm on board with this. The build looks good, and the set is from maybe my second or third favorite Star Wars movie of all time, Return of the Jedi. The only thing I have to say about this is the fact that the Emperor has the new hood piece, which I have mixed feelings on. On some characters it works, on others it doesn't, and I don't think it works on him. The other thing is that I would like to have Palpatine to have a gray face, with the prequel Palpatine who's not an Emperor having a tan face. It would be more accurate and I overall prefer the gray face for Palpatine.

Resistanc I-TS Transport: I want this thing. I do. I would love to sit at the coffee table and build this. It's from Galaxy's Edge, the Star Wars experience, and comes with Vi Moradi, Lieutenant Bek, an Astromech Droid, and a GNK Power Droid. The ship overall looks cool. It looks a bit different than most ships we've gotten in LEGO Star Wars, so I hope to pick this up.

Advent Calendar: So, I will be relying on some information that hasn't been confirmed yet, but might be true. So, as for the builds, I like that we're getting a Droid Control Ship. I think it would be cool if we got a normal-sized/minifigure scale version sometime down the line. Now, figures. Yes! Finally, after a few years of getting figures that just used Christmas-colored pieces, we are getting not ONE, but TWO Christmas themed minifigures with exclusive prints, with Poe and Vader in Holiday sweaters. We are also getting D-O with a Santa hat. I wanted to talk about the Sith Trooper. In the photo, it appears that the Sith Trooper minifigure has an exclusive print on the helmet, which is cool. Also, the Battle Droid has an exclusive print on the head! This advent calendar is really what I want from LEGO Star Wars advent calendars. We are also getting a Pit Droid, a Porg, Rise of Skywalker Rey, A New Hope Luke, and maybe a GNK Power Droid and an Imperial Stormtrooper. Look, I think this is the most excited I've been about a LEGO advent calendar, and I'm buying this. Look, the figure selection in here might be one of the best figure selections in any LEGO set. LEGO needs to do this kind of stuff every yer for the Star Wars advent calendars.

8 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yup, it's all a matter of timing. The Lord of the Rings sets for example sold very poorly but if you look at the aftermarket prices for those sets nowadays.... geez :oh:

My heart’s greatest desire is for a reboot of the LOTR theme

26 minutes ago, xxix5 said:

So, it seems that we are talking about the LEGO Star Wars 2020 sets.

Can these sets be seen anywhere yet?

3 minutes ago, legolandia said:

We only have a few images for most sets. They're on instagram under the 'legoleaks' hashtag.

4 minutes ago, legolandia said:

Look closely at he Sith Trooper. I know that's a new print on the top of the helmet and around the side of the helmet.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I vastly prefer exclusive in-universe minifigs in the advent calendars than the Christmas themed exclusives. They’re useless to me. TROS or TLJ Leia should have been the exclusive, or something similar. TROS Rose or Beaumont Kin or something. These Christmas figures are useless to my collection

Man how is it possible that we have the 6x6 and 10x10 round sloped pieces (the type used on the 2009 AAT) but no 8x8 version of the same piece? I'd love to use those to create an actually nice skirt for the new AAT.

29 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

That would be so awesome

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Well with a new Amazon series and video games in the pipeline it's a possibility, especially if they end up being really good. Amazon will want to merchandise the heck out of it. 

I don't know if anyone has talked about it here but I was very glad to see the same add on the back of the 501st set that says " play it in LEGO Star Wars the Skywalker Saga". I always assume the most recent sets to be released around the same time as a LEGO game will be playable in it but it's nice to get confirmation. Ntm, that indicates it's in the base game and will not require an unlock code like the Razor Crest. It also means it won't be locked behind dlc so it'll be nice to have some Clone Wars representation in the game, though I of course would love a Clone Wars themed dlc. I assume the rest of the sets in this wave will include the same ad though.

Having seen some comparison pics between the Airborne Trooper from Grievous's Starfighter and the old bp, there are some improvements to the printing. The hip piece is white and printed rather than plain black. I can understand why people don't like this change but I like it a lot. If the hip pices weren't printed it would be a different story though. The new version also has much better leg printing with full kneepads, they're not cutoff like the old one. The helmet is exactly the same and the torso has some slight improvements with finer details. Overall it's a nice improvement but in no way worth buying the set for.

Edited by ToaDraco

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

That's honestly my main gripe with changing the designs of Stormtroopers/Clones.  With Vader or Boba Fett or whoever, it doesn't matter when they change the helmet design to be more accurate, since you can just replace the old one with the new one, but if you're trying to army build and they keep changing the design every four years, it's really hard to accumulate a lot of a figure just from buying sets.  Honestly, my issue is mostly with stormtrooper helmets.  I don't care if they slightly re-print the torsos/legs to make them more accurate, but I wish they would keep a consistent helmet mold so that they don't look so different.  With droids, I get that the ones we've had for 21 (B1) and 18 (B2) years aren't the most accurate, but it's way easier to make a huge droid force when every set ever has the same design of battle droid figure.

I get that, although I think at some point they do need to progress. Like the old clone helmets with the cutout for the visor and black head underneath was updated with a printed visor for the 2013-2014 sets.

That said, I hate the new stormtrooper helmet mold.

4 hours ago, xxix5 said:

Look closely at he Sith Trooper. I know that's a new print on the top of the helmet and around the side of the helmet.

What? Sith trooper isn't in any sets this wave.

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I get that, although I think at some point they do need to progress. Like the old clone helmets with the cutout for the visor and black head underneath was updated with a printed visor for the 2013-2014 sets.

What? Sith trooper isn't in any sets this wave.

Advent Calender

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

SAME! Hopefully one day

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

With clones I actually think the molds don't look horribly different anyway post-2008ish when the original TCW sets came out so they re-designed the P1 helmets, and then from there on I think everything has been fairly close to each other outside of color differences.  

Stormtrooper helmets though, I honestly prefer the original mold, especially the version from around 2007ish where they finally seemed to get the printing nailed down, and then ever since they did a re-design for Rebels, they won't stop messing with it.  I really think the old one had the proportions as good as they're going to get in LEGO, the new ones are just bulky in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

With clones I actually think the molds don't look horribly different anyway post-2008ish when the original TCW sets came out so they re-designed the P1 helmets, and then from there on I think everything has been fairly close to each other outside of color differences.  

We got the current P2 helmet mold in 2013, and there have been some others like the Airborne helmet that came out after that.

I hope they don't Stormtrooper the Clone helmets and make new dual-molded ones. The versions we currently have are solid and the printing has been good in most cases. I can look past changes in the printing style that happen every few years, but it would be much more challenging to look past a Clone with a helmet that could be double the size of the current one. As cool as the dual-molded helmets can be, I think the single-molded helmets for common troopers are good and work well with the minifigure's proportions. There are some cases where dual-molded helmets make sense, but that doesn't count the Stormtrooper or Rebel Helmets that they have done in my view.

Also, imagine how horrific a dual-molded Battle Droid head could be. Yikes.

7 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Couldn’t agree more :thumbup: I’m glad for every set we got, but equally bummed for everything we didn’t. Not releasing the Balrog was a downright SIN, but I digress

7 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I vastly prefer exclusive in-universe minifigs in the advent calendars than the Christmas themed exclusives.

I’d prefer a more even mix. In some years, the in-universe exclusives dominated (General Merrick and the second version of Old Man Luke come to mind) with the holiday-themed characters being pushed into the background, and in other years, there were no exclusives apart from the holiday-themed ones. IMO, the best of both worlds would be to have at least one new minifig in both categories :classic:

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I’d prefer a more even mix. In some years, the in-universe exclusives dominated (General Merrick and the second version of Old Man Luke come to mind) with the holiday-themed characters being pushed into the background, and in other years, there were no exclusives apart from the holiday-themed ones. IMO, the best of both worlds would be to have at least one new minifig in both categories :classic:

TROS Leia would have been perfect instead of Christmas Poe. She would also go really well with the Rey we’re already getting. 

I overwhelmingly haven't liked the dual molded helmets. They might be more detailed and scale to the size of the Lego minifig head better, but Lego minifig heads aren't scaled to their bodies correctly, so the helmets always look comically large.

Luke’s hair piece makes the new Final Duel set look like his predecessor. That mold is old-fashioned and has been around for 40 years. Maybe the set would look slighly more attractive with another mold.

On the other hand, the new Ahsoka is well done. The only thing I’m concerned about is the quality of her hair piece. I have two Rebels Ahsoka, one kept sealed and one displayed. The latter has lost some paint from the «horns». Anyone having a similar experience? I hope this has been improved.

2 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Luke’s hair piece makes the new Final Duel set look like his predecessor. That mold is old-fashioned and has been around for 40 years. Maybe the set would look slighly more attractive with another mold.

Sure they could make a new mold that's even more movie accurate like they have with so many other figs, but let's be honest: his hair style in that scene is 40 years old. It's a very old fashioned style, but it's decently accurate as far as Lego goes.

5 minutes ago, storskogen said:

On the other hand, the new Ahsoka is well done. The only thing I’m concerned about is the quality of her hair piece. I have two Rebels Ahsoka, one kept sealed and one displayed. The latter has lost some paint from the «horns». Anyone having a similar experience? I hope this has been improved.

Yeah, that happened to me with my Shaak Ti minifig. I have been really careful with my Rebels Ahsoka and I really don't touch the headpiece at all :sceptic:

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

I overwhelmingly haven't liked the dual molded helmets. They might be more detailed and scale to the size of the Lego minifig head better, but Lego minifig heads aren't scaled to their bodies correctly, so the helmets always look comically large.

I agree. I think the only one that I own and like is Major Vonreg's helmet. Even though dual molded helmets are more advanced pieces that push the medium forward, they shouldn't be used in cases where they increase the helmet size to the point where the proportions are off.

Personally, I love the new dual molded helmets for the stormtroopers and rebel pilots (even though the pilots stopped being used after one set). I think the Clone P2 helmet could use an update simply because of the fact that you can’t use attachments. I thought for sure this year would introduce a new mold but it didn’t 

Also, I love that they made a Galaxy’s Edge set, but I definitely would have preferred one from Fallen Order

18 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Also, I love that they made a Galaxy’s Edge set, but I definitely would have preferred one from Fallen Order

There's so much stuff they could do from that game. The Mantis, TIE Reaper, Fortress Inquisitorius, Dathomir with Malicos, Purge Trooper battlepack etc. 

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

There's so much stuff they could do from that game. The Mantis, TIE Reaper, Fortress Inquisitorius, Dathomir with Malicos, Purge Trooper battlepack etc. 

A sequel to that game is rumoured for 2022, so maybe that year we'll get at least one set for it. 

Honestly, I'd buy any set from that game. 

11 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Advent Calender

Oh yeah. It's still not a new design though, it's the same as the one that came in the shuttle and battle pack.

8 hours ago, avengers777 said:

Yeah, that happened to me with my Shaak Ti minifig. I have been really careful with my Rebels Ahsoka and I really don't touch the headpiece at all :sceptic:

My shaak Ti montral piece is in such a bad condition that the blue stripes are completely gone from the top horns. :hmpf_bad:

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I need all of these.

Realistically I think based on what battlefront 2 got we could see a battlepack sized set with Cal, Second sister, and 2 purge troopers, but that's going a bit into wishlisting