MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

This is off topic so I'm going to address it and leave it at that but clone wars sets were not shelf warmers, everything around that time period was a shelf warmer. There wasnt demand for those sets at the time and lego just was not doing well. There part quality dropped and designs were flimsy and shoddy and sometimes used technically illegal methods of building They've improved obviously since and thanks to bionicle the company hasnt gone under but if you bricklink all these PT designs sold at the time you'll see they sell for ridiculous prices because the demand is there today.

It's great we finally got things like moderns ATST and TIE fighters and X wings but lego has also rehashed the sets way too often in too short of a time span, at the same time, variants like interceptors and bombers are not being made in favour of new movie designs which is a shame.

Edited by SCREDEYE

12 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

This is off topic so I'm going to address it and leave it at that but clone wars sets were not shelf warmers, everything around that time period was a shelf warmer. There wasnt demand for those sets at the time and lego just was not doing well. There part quality dropped and designs were flimsy and shoddy and sometimes used technically illegal methods of building They've improved obviously since and thanks to bionicle the company hasnt gone under but if you bricklink all these PT designs sold at the time you'll see they sell for ridiculous prices because the demand is there today.

It's great we finally got things like moderns ATST and TIE fighters and X wings but lego has also rehashed the sets way too often in too short of a time span, at the same time, variants like interceptors and bombers are not being made in favour of new movie designs which is a shame.

Yup, it's all a matter of timing. The Lord of the Rings sets for example sold very poorly but if you look at the aftermarket prices for those sets nowadays.... geez :oh:

This is a side point but to me it looks as if the new clone visors are curved a bit at the top instead of being a straight line or is that just me? 

Edited by Ringwraith

3 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

I question your involvement in the hobby 10 or 15 years ago if you think it's debatable.  Clone wars sets were constant shelf warmers and would hit deep clearance and still not get purchased.  There was a general consensus within the afol community of disliking the large, anime style eye printing that didnt match other type of figures.

I got into Lego in 2009, when I was nine years old. My first set was the Stone Chopper from Power Miners. So I wasn't collecting "10-15 years ago". Like I and others have said, clone wars sets sold like their counterparts. If they didn't sell where you lived, well too bad. But that also doesn't disqualify the fact that the clone walker battle pack is arguably the best selling battle pack Lego ever made. Just look at how many of the clone wars troopers are floating around the web in various collections. The 2008 LAAT was another best seller, until the 2013 version took its place.

Anime eyes be damned, many who grew up at the time (including myself) loved TCW show and if they could, bought the sets. I actually liked the eye style (blasphemy! :laugh:).

End of the day, those sets were largely the best thing that happened to Lego Star Wars. If they were such a failure, they wouldn't have carried the theme for 4 years. Sure, other sets did their part too, but you're discrediting some of the best sets of the 2008-2011 era.

23 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

clone wars sets were not shelf warmers, everything around that time period was a shelf warmer. There wasnt demand for those sets at the time and lego just was not doing well.

Wouldn't that make them shelf warmers?

15 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I got into Lego in 2009, when I was nine years old. My first set was the Stone Chopper from Power Miners. So I wasn't collecting "10-15 years ago". Like I and others have said, clone wars sets sold like their counterparts. If they didn't sell where you lived, well too bad. But that also doesn't disqualify the fact that the clone walker battle pack is arguably the best selling battle pack Lego ever made. Just look at how many of the clone wars troopers are floating around the web in various collections. The 2008 LAAT was another best seller, until the 2013 version took its place.

Anime eyes be damned, many who grew up at the time (including myself) loved TCW show and if they could, bought the sets. I actually liked the eye style (blasphemy! :laugh:).

End of the day, those sets were largely the best thing that happened to Lego Star Wars. If they were such a failure, they wouldn't have carried the theme for 4 years. Sure, other sets did their part too, but you're discrediting some of the best sets of the 2008-2011 era.

You dont see the issue with your point?  You werent collecting back then...you were 9 in 2009 so you are still a kid now.  You have no basis to have any kind of valid opinion but you still try to give one.  This forum is ridiculous. Just dont respond to me...

1 hour ago, SCREDEYE said:

There wasnt demand for those sets at the time and lego just was not doing well. There part quality dropped and designs were flimsy and shoddy and sometimes used technically illegal methods of building They've improved obviously since and thanks to bionicle the company hasnt gone under...

I think you're confusing 2008 when the Clone Wars sets started coming out with 2003? 2003 was the deep slump when LEGO nearly went under and Bionicle helped save it. By 2008 LEGO was on the up and up.

20 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

You dont see the issue with your point?  You werent collecting back then...you were 9 in 2009 so you are still a kid now.  You have no basis to have any kind of valid opinion but you still try to give one.  This forum is ridiculous. Just dont respond to me...

Nobody is forcing you to be here. Questioning and discussing people's opinions is part of the purpose of a discussion forum in the first place.

What makes your opinion so valid anyway? I already asked before where this "Clone Wars didn't sell" myth came from. If a LEGO employee never said it in an interview anywhere, or it didn't appear in an official report, it's no fact. The notion of "I and some other people saw the sets on clearance" meaning "the sets didn't sell" is a total fallacy. Could be true, could be not true. Evidence just as strong to the contrary, like LEGO making waves of Clone Wars sets for four years, also exists.

I've been on Eurobricks since 2009 and collecting since before then and I don't even recall any consensus among AFOLs at the time that Clone Wars sets were doing poorly. This idea that the whole line did poorly has really only cropped up in the years since the show was cancelled as if to explain why there hasn't been a continuing output of Clone Wars material, but of course without the show continually airing and with all of the other new Star Wars content to cover, why would there be?

33 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Oh wow. This response alone can be torn to complete shreds. 

Imagine suggesting someone doesn’t have a valid opinion yet states with fact that a particular theme within Star Wars, without any evidence bare in mind, did not sell well. 

Sorry I think your tone is disgusting. This is about a toy, that is Lego. Chill out a little and express your views in a better way. 

Edited by ArrowBricks
Posted the same time as Clone OPatra so sorry if repeating

59 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Well, I'm gonna respond to you! :grin:

Regardless of my age, my point referenced the fact that at the very least, the Clone Walker Battle Pack remains a fan-favorite, all these years later. Kids are always being touted as the target audience, so I figured my being a kid at the time would help shed some light on how the core demographic viewed those sets. Besides, have you seen the clone armies floating around? All of them had to come from sets (even bricklink sellers need to buy sets). Jedi collections, Mandalorian camps, even staples of the droid army, all of these prove how many people loved those sets. Sure, some areas will have overstock, but that's with literally any toyline or Lego theme. Doesn't mean it sold poorly worldwide, just in a few areas.

If TCW sold so poorly, we wouldn't be getting a 501st Legion set, no matter how much we cried. Nor a Clone Wars AAT, with fan-favorite Ahsoka and a 332nd Trooper no less. It's a well received part of the saga, moreso than later media (Rebels, the Sequels). I feel like it'll always be around.

42 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I already asked before where this "Clone Wars didn't sell" myth came from. If a LEGO employee never said it in an interview anywhere, or it didn't appear in an official report, it's no fact.

On that note, I remember reading (on here, I think) that a Lego designer said that Rebels sets didn't do so hot. It was an informal dialogue, but it was said. The Clone Wars sets have never been reported on in that way.

Which sucks, because Rebels had potential Lego-wise.

I wonder if some of you are confusing Clone Wars sets with Rebels sets, which by multiple accounts did sell pretty poorly. I believe a LEGO rep said as much in a Brickset interview, and one or two resellers said they went over like lead balloons, to the point where they weren't interested in ordering more of them... Several Rebels sets retired much earlier than would be expected (the Ghost retired before the second season even began, if I recall correctly, and A-Wing/TIE set within 6 months in some markets, whereas sets that large typically last 18-24 months). 

I've been collecting LEGO since the first Star Wars sets were introduced, and this is the first time I've seen anyone suggest Clone Wars sets (specifically, independent of larger market conditions) did not sell well. I know the face prints were almost universally despised, but it seems like the sets themselves engendered a lot of love from the LEGO community.

Having said all that, I think LEGO could have put more effort into the sets being released in this wave, especially those from the Clone Wars/prequels. The Star Wars line is clearly operating on a smaller budget this year (and next, from the look of it). Which is a shame.

not a bad line after all, but does anybody know is buildable baby yoda still a thing or was it just a false rumour?

Somehow this has devolved into an argument about the popularity of the clone wars sets in general, where some people are insulting people instead of arguing the point? 

19 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Well, I'm gonna respond to you! :grin:

Regardless of my age, my point referenced the fact that at the very least, the Clone Walker Battle Pack remains a fan-favorite, all these years later. Kids are always being touted as the target audience, so I figured my being a kid at the time would help shed some light on how the core demographic viewed those sets. Besides, have you seen the clone armies floating around? All of them had to come from sets (even bricklink sellers need to buy sets). Jedi collections, Mandalorian camps, even staples of the droid army, all of these prove how many people loved those sets. Sure, some areas will have overstock, but that's with literally any toyline or Lego theme. Doesn't mean it sold poorly worldwide, just in a few areas.

If TCW sold so poorly, we wouldn't be getting a 501st Legion set, no matter how much we cried. Nor a Clone Wars AAT, with fan-favorite Ahsoka and a 332nd Trooper no less. It's a well received part of the saga, moreso than later media (Rebels, the Sequels). I feel like it'll always be around.

On that note, I remember reading (on here, I think) that a Lego designer said that Rebels sets didn't do so hot. It was an informal dialogue, but it was said. The Clone Wars sets have never been reported on in that way.

Which sucks, because Rebels had potential Lego-wise.

First off, that guy's being pretty rude, no idea why he decided to attack you personally.

I agree that the clone battle pack sold pretty well. I was pretty young when the clone wars sets came out, but I do remember liking the clone battle pack. (I swapped the commander's arms for blue ones and he became rex :laugh:) I do remember that I disliked the style of eyes for the normal characters, although the clone torso/helmet design didn't bother me as much. Looking back, I still think they're nightmare fuel, but they did end up changing that for the newer ones. I can't speak for many of the others, but I remember the assassin droid battle pack and some larger ones were always there, and I could never find the AAT on shelves. Although I wouldn't use the fact that we're getting two clone wars sets now as evidence of the success of the 2008-2014 sets. It's been 6 years and the kids who grew up on clone wars when they were young kids (like me) are old enough to buy more stuff now. Which I think is a pretty good indication of SW in general. HelloGreedo has a great video on how when clone wars first came out, it was HATED by fans. Most fans on forums had the same opinion of ahsoka that people now have of rey. Of course, it's now a fan-favorite show, and ahsoka's one of the most beloved characters in the canon. Rebels had a similar thing, and I have no doubt that in a few years opinion of the sequels will increase as the kids who were 5-10 when TFA came out grow up. There's a trend of people loving the star wars they grow up on and hating what comes next. Right now, the prequel kids are adults, which will probably lead to an increased number of prequel UCS sets.

I think the best thing for lego to do is keep the balance between the eras, and I think we're starting to see it with the uptick in prequel sets. That said, I wouldn't expect  multiple clone battlepacks, a venator, at-te, laat, and at-ot with dropship to all come out over the course of a year or two, I doubt that would sell well. A 332nd battlepack won't sell as well if it comes right after a 501st.

@KZB I think it comes out in september, and keep in mind they couldn't have started it until the mandalorian show started airing because baby yoda was kept secret.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

10 minutes ago, KZB said:

not a bad line after all, but does anybody know is buildable baby yoda still a thing or was it just a false rumour?

It comes out November 1st for 85€. It will definitely be brickbuilt like Yoda from 2019, and knowing Lego's trend with those buildable characters, it will also (almost definitely) include Baby Yoda minifigure.

1 hour ago, lego the hutt said:

Can you stop gatekeeping like this because this is like extremely pathetic 

11 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's been 6 years and the kids who grew up on clone wars when they were young kids (like me) are old enough to buy more stuff now. Which I think is a pretty good indication of SW in general. HelloGreedo has a great video on how when clone wars first came out, it was HATED by fans. Most fans on forums had the same opinion of ahsoka that people now have of rey. Of course, it's now a fan-favorite show, and ahsoka's one of the most beloved characters in the canon. Rebels had a similar thing, and I have no doubt that in a few years opinion of the sequels will increase as the kids who were 5-10 when TFA came out grow up. There's a trend of people loving the star wars they grow up on and hating what comes next. Right now, the prequel kids are adults, which will probably lead to an increased number of prequel UCS sets.

I think the best thing for lego to do is keep the balance between the eras, and I think we're starting to see it with the uptick in prequel sets. That said, I wouldn't expect  multiple clone battlepacks, a venator, at-te, laat, and at-ot with dropship to all come out over the course of a year or two, I doubt that would sell well. A 332nd battlepack won't sell as well if it comes right after a 501st.

You're right, TCW was initially hated, but proved itself later on (hell, early on with episodes like "Rookies"), and while I don't think the ST has enough staying power (at least, post-TFA), that doesn't mean there won't be fans that come in because of those films. I also agree that a balance is needed, something like this wave, without the rehashes. However, I do believe that we'll get another $15 clone battle pack next year, as $30 is a bit steep for an army builder (filing Chapter 11 just thinking about it :laugh:).

On another note: I have this love-hate relationship with sequel sets. I strongly dislike the films (sans TFA), but some of the figures are useful/cool. That being said, I'm leaning into the Night Buzzard, not because I like it, per se, but because I may try to go after the Knights at some point. If I end up getting Kylo's Shuttle in the next few days or so, that might help my decision.

1 hour ago, lego the hutt said:

If you were 9 in 2009 you'd be either 19 or 20 now, I wouldn't exactly call that being a "kid".

Either way, here we go again with the "there were lots of this set at the specific stores I go to so it must not sell at all!" anecdote. For every one of these there's a "well I had a hard time finding this set near me so it obviously sold well!" but we all know that neither of those mean anything. This conversation happened recently in the DC thread with someone who claimed the entire theme was dying for the same reasons. A single store's Lego stock means absolutely nothing, and even if you bump that number up to all the stores you regularly go to that's such a minuscule percentage of how many stores actually sell Lego.

39 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I wonder if some of you are confusing Clone Wars sets with Rebels sets, which by multiple accounts did sell pretty poorly. I believe a LEGO rep said as much in a Brickset interview, and one or two resellers said they went over like lead balloons, to the point where they weren't interested in ordering more of them... Several Rebels sets retired much earlier than would be expected (the Ghost retired before the second season even began, if I recall correctly, and A-Wing/TIE set within 6 months in some markets, whereas sets that large typically last 18-24 months). 

I've been collecting LEGO since the first Star Wars sets were introduced, and this is the first time I've seen anyone suggest Clone Wars sets (specifically, independent of larger market conditions) did not sell well. I know the face prints were almost universally despised, but it seems like the sets themselves engendered a lot of love from the LEGO community.

Having said all that, I think LEGO could have put more effort into the sets being released in this wave, especially those from the Clone Wars/prequels. The Star Wars line is clearly operating on a smaller budget this year (and next, from the look of it). Which is a shame.

I'd just point out there are more CW sets than any other movie, TV show, or other subtheme, so clearly they didn't sell horribly.

That said, I've always felt like Lego's timing has been a bit off when it comes to matching ages with themes. When CW came out and Rebels came out, the source material was for children. I understand there are some more privileged children out there, but for the most part, elementary/middle schoolers aren't buying $80+ sets. They're buying battle packs or getting mid-sized sets for their birthdays. Based on my personal experience, the $100+ price range should be mostly for teens and the small contingent of AFOLs. They're probably not interested in the more childish source material. So when Lego released a $90 Ghost set, it definitely fits into my logical cross-section of what wouldn't sell well. So color me unsurprised if CW and Rebels didn't outpace expectations when the bulk of their sets were released when the target audience was eight.

Bringing it back to this wave, on a personal note, I'm at the age where I can start buying the larger sets in the star wars line, and I'm more interested in reissues of CW era sets like the Resolute than I am in an AT-AT. That said, obviously Lego has to re-release an AT-AT every once in a while. But recently we've gotten a re-released Slave I, we're getting a re-release of the final duel set, a fourth millennium falcon in as many years--point is there's plenty of room for them to do re-releases of other, more rare, things too. But again, just my personal taste, Lego knows what sells best.

On the other hand, the CW sets in this wave seem clearly geared toward children, while the TROS sets seem more geared toward teens and adults. Obviously, the 501st battle pack is a nice bone thrown to those campaigning for it, but I think the point still stands. It seems like children would be more interested in the sequel products and teens more interested in CW... but eh, what do I know? (And that doesn't even get into the quality of the actual sets, which I think has been well-vetted here as lackluster.)

I would've spent some money on new builds for CW, or for locations, that's all I'm saying. I'm not going to buy any of the sets in this wave over $50. It's just a little frustrating that there's plenty I really want to buy from the star wars universe but every wave feels like the creativity in what's included has drained more and more.

2 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

Mate, you're the only one here making a claim that has no basis of any kind. You are making a claim (rather your personal opinion, in that case just say you think it didn't do well not as some fact because it's not) that Clone Wars sets were unpopular without giving any evidence or proper reasoning to why. If you think that your single-store represents how other stores sell, then you need to open your eyes that there are thousands of stores around the world with different statistics. Also, opinions, like yours and ours here, don't need any validity because they are not facts. Here's an example of a fact, "The Sith Battle Pack is $14.99 USD", and an opinion, "It's overpriced and I don't like the figure design". I hope you learn the difference. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

HelloGreedo has a great video on how when clone wars first came out, it was HATED by fans. Most fans on forums had the same opinion of ahsoka that people now have of rey. Of course, it's now a fan-favorite show, and ahsoka's one of the most beloved characters in the canon. Rebels had a similar thing, and I have no doubt that in a few years opinion of the sequels will increase as the kids who were 5-10 when TFA came out grow up. There's a trend of people loving the star wars they grow up on and hating what comes next. Right now, the prequel kids are adults, which will probably lead to an increased number of prequel UCS sets.

I was going to mention that HelloGreedo video - the prequels are 'my' Star Wars, so I'm eager to see how the next few years pan out in terms of balance, new SW content notwithstanding.

On the Rebels note (and I realise this conversation may be more pertinent to a different thread), what are the odds of getting a few sets in future waves from that show similar to what we have now with TCW? Some of those sets have shot up in aftermarket value, and if the last few years are anything to go by that seems to be where TLG is looking.

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That being said, I'm leaning into the Night Buzzard, not because I like it, per se, but because I may try to go after the Knights at some point. If I end up getting Kylo's Shuttle in the next few days or so, that might help my decision.

The Night Buzzard kinda works both ways. If you have the other Knights you're bound to get the Night Buzzard as it comes with the remaining members and their ship but if you don't own any of the other Knights (like me) it drags the appeal of the set down significantly. I love the set overall but I don't really see the point in having it with only 2/6 members of the Knights of Ren :shrug_oh_well:

Guys, we are way off track. Please take a deep breath a think about what you're going to post before hitting submit. If you all can't allow there to be differences of opinions, I'll lock this thread for awhile. Please do not continue any personal arguments from the last few pages.

Again, one thing to keep in mind is that people grow up. They have more agency in the toys they buy and they have more disposable income. The fact that CW sets sell well now is probably a reflection of 1) the fact that children who grew up watching the series can now buy what they want and 2) many of the Clone Wars sets were much larger and therefore more expensive than their post show iterations have been (the fighter tank and AAT for example) and 3) they've abandoned those god awful faces.

If Lego were to keep the prices reasonable, I think they'd find that well built sets with minifigs that have face that fit the rest of your collection would sell just fine in the current market.

3 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

This is kind of played out by now and a lot of people here have some great points in response to this. You are entitled to have your opinion. I'll briefly share my experience.

I got into Lego Star Wars in 2006. I grew up on the prequels (specifically ROTS), so I was naturally inclined to want prequel sets. When the CW came out, I was happy that there were a lot of prequel sets available. I didn't have any opinion on the animated figure printing style because I didn't have many figures that didn't use that printing style. I bought what CW sets I could, and I went back to get some of the ones I missed when I got older and had a larger Lego budget. I can't speak to how well the sets sold generally, but as someone growing up with the CW, I'm happy that they came out.

9 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Guys, we are way off track. Please take a deep breath a think about what you're going to post before hitting submit. If you all can't allow there to be differences of opinions, I'll lock this thread for awhile. Please do not continue any personal arguments from the last few pages.

I was typing this while you posted. I agree that this is getting a little out of hand. I thought I'd post this because I was typing it and don't want to waste it. If anyone wants to continue this conversation with me, please dm me instead of posting here.

2 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

If Lego were to keep the prices reasonable, I think they'd find that well built sets with minifigs that have face that fit the rest of your collection would sell just fine in the current market.

Agreed.

Well to drive things back to topic: while I (and some others) personally really don't like the new design for the AAT I've also seen people who love it. So I'm legitimately curious why you guys love it so much :grin: