MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I'm pretty excited about this wave. The builds are good and the minifigures, for the most part, are amazing!

I guess now that I’ve gotten over the initial shock of the figures I’m ready to start thinking about the builds.

TROS is my least favorite SW film but that Night Buzzard is actually really neat looking. It’s a new design, and a good one at that, something I felt the Sequels were sorely lacking. In the end I likely won’t be getting it, but it actually had me thinking about having it as a compliment to the TROS Falcon I won in a raffle. Props to Lego for tempting me with a nice looking set.

The AAT looks vastly inferior to the Clone Wars version, but does feel like it’s at a better scale. I’m gonna be grabbing two for those 332nd troopers either way.

Zero interest in the I-TS, and while I think the final duel is actually really good looking, it’s way too expensive. Same with the Soulless One. I got Grievous’ Wheel Bike and the Utapau Troopers back when those came out so I don’t need any of those figures either.

I’m on the fence about the interceptor. It’s a nice build either way, and would likely display well next to his delta fighter, but the value just isn’t there for me. I need a robed, non-burnt Anakin but it still has that darned headpiece.....

I will definitely be picking up the aat. Kind of annoyed with the head piece they gave to Ahsoka. The Printing that should be closer to her forehead but it is above it and is noticeable. The clone is cool but the design feels off. I like the surprise galaxies edge set but I would only want it for the minifigures. The nightbuzzard looks like it was really well done and I might pick it up. The Death Star duel set is very interesting as many pointed out it looks almost the same as the last.

Edited by ChiefPie

Everyone is expecting the second battle droid to have seating space in the center of that AAT right? It looks like there are hinges there to open up. If that's the case, I'm glad they gave two pilot droids.

The highlight of this wave for me is definitely Ahsoka, would've been nice to have Rex too but a 332nd trooper is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Honestly I'm just glad we're getting fresh season 7 content at all, kind of sad that I even thought that in the first place though. Might pick up Anakin's Interceptor too. I'm surprised by the minifig selection for Soulless One, not only is Obi-Wan recycled but Grievous is as well which is contrary to what leakers have said, too bad it wasn't "no Cody" that they were wrong on instead. Not too sure how I feel about the set at this point. The others I'll have to pass on, I really don't care much about the sequel era and the Final Duel is nice but doesn't really have anything pulling me in to make it worth spending $100 on.

EDIT: Forgot to address Ahsoka's lekku, yes her old piece would definitely be more accurate but it doesn't really bother me, still looks more accurate than some other minifigs like Bossk with no dual molding (yuck).

Edited by BigGuy4U

Just to clarify something, since I saw someone asking a few pages back: according to info we’ve had, 75291 (DS Duel) is the exclusive, whereas 75293 wasn’t previously known, so I guess it could also be an exclusive?  I’m not a leaker so don’t take that as me trying to act like one, just trying to clear that up.  But the one we’ve been speculating about for like a month is the one that ended up being DS Duel.  

That said, this has certainly been an interesting year for Star Wars leaks.  We had three sets that weren’t even supposed to exist (Razor Crest, The Child sculpture, and the Galaxy’s Edge transport), which was a nice bonus, a really early reveal of the 501st Clones set, and also a really early leak of the Grievous fighter, somehow coming out before we even knew that a TIE Pilot helmet was coming.  

As far as this wave, definitely an odd mix.  I’ll probably buy the 501st set eventually, the AT-AT I’ll consider, Night Buzzard and Grievous’ Starfighter don’t interest me too much, Anakin’s fighter is one I don’t have but for $30 I’d rather get a City set or something, and while the AAT model doesn’t really look all that great in my opinion, I don’t have any Ahsoka figures, so I’ll have to pick that up.  The Transport and Duel are both interesting but probably not going to be sets I buy either, I’d rather put that money towards the Razor Crest.

Definitely a great wave for figures. Like before, I don't like the ship designs of most LEGO SW sets and the same goes for this one and I don't really see what makes the Resistance set so appealing. But I will definitely be getting the AAT just for the figures and maybe the Grievous fighter if I can. Overall, a pretty good wave. 

3 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Just to clarify something, since I saw someone asking a few pages back: according to info we’ve had, 75291 (DS Duel) is the exclusive, whereas 75293 wasn’t previously known, so I guess it could also be an exclusive?  I’m not a leaker so don’t take that as me trying to act like one, just trying to clear that up.  But the one we’ve been speculating about for like a month is the one that ended up being DS Duel.  

I think the I-TS was mentioned somewhere as being exclusive to Galaxy's Edge (the park). In which case it makes sense, but hopefully it'll be available on Lego.com as well.

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

A set based on Galaxy’s Edge? *oh2* Didn’t see that one coming! Ahsoka, a new Clone, Cardo & Kuruk, I’m impressed :thumbup:

So am I! Completely out of nowhere, too! Do we know the price?

5 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Well I’m shocked. 75291 is a literal re-release of the Death Star Final Duel from 2015...WHAT? 

The AAT looks horrendous and no idea why there’s Kashyyyk Battle Droids... but Ahsoka and a 332nd Trooper means this will sell very well. 

Resistance Transport Ship from what exactly? So strange...  

It’s just all round strange.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing that it's so similar.

They aren't kashyyyk battle droids, they're tank drivers.

It's from galaxy's edge, I guess? I've never been able to go, but it looks like a great model to me. I'm just worried it won't be available everywhere. (and as a fan of the books, I'm super glad Vi Moradi from the Phasma book has a minifigure.)

I gotta agree with you on that last bit, "strange" is the best way to describe this wave.

anakin's interceptor is just a slightly updated 2014 one as expected, I'll pass on this one.

The tank set is great, I'll buy one since I don't have an AAT yet and those figures are amazing!

There's no way grievous's starfighter is $80. I refuse to accept it.

KoR ship is actually pretty good, I won't pick it up as I haven't been collecting the koR, but I still think it's pretty good.

Final duel is completely unexpected, and so similar to the 2015 one :(. Disappointed, won't pick it up.

The transport looks great, and came out of nowhere! I'm psyched to get Vi Moradi, and Super excited we're getting sets based off less well-known properties now.

Overall a great wave IMO, the sequel sets are both great, as are the clone wars sets. Ironically the ROTS and ROTJ sets are the only two I'd say aren't that good, and two of those only because they're so close to previous versions.

40 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm pretty excited about this wave. The builds are good and the minifigures, for the most part, are amazing!

I know! Ahsoka, a 332nd, some more knights, etc.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

This. Many people on this forum constantly remind us that Lego Star Wars is for children, which is absolutely correct. The point is that I can almost say with absolute certainty children will not know what or where this set is from. Hence it is a strange choice, considering this set is targeted for them.

I’m sure a larger Clone Wars vehicle for example would be instantly more recognisable in terms of the set itself and the minifigures included than this. I personally think it looks decent but the reasons I’ve stated means I don't think it will sell well.

I'm thinking it'll be something exclusive to galaxy's edge, maybe? Bummer for me but makes sense from a marketing perspective. Kids who just rode inside the thing are gonna be more likely to buy the lego model. We also hadn't heard ANYTHING about this, which makes me thing it's exclusive somewhere. Never going to complain about surprise new sets!

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I think the I-TS was mentioned somewhere as being exclusive to Galaxy's Edge (the park). In which case it makes sense, but hopefully it'll be available on Lego.com as well.

I hope so.

And...VI MORADI!!!!!!! I researched this and she's in the park as someone you can interect with, like the people dressed as rey or kylo, but still, a character from the books has a lego minifigure!

Just now, ARC2149Nova said:

Yeah I’d imagine Disney Parks would for sure carry it (I think the one in Orlando also opened a Galaxy’s Edge to complement the one in Anaheim?) but it would make sense for LEGO brand stores to carry it as well, since there would definitely be people who either can’t make it to the park or don’t want to but still are interested in the set.  Especially now with the pandemic and such, I’d imagine theme park attendance may take a hit for the next few years, so it’d make sense for them to sell it on their own as well.

The Final duel re-release is the definition of disappointment, it’s literally the same as the 2015 with small changes.

Waste of a spot that could’ve been used for a Palpatine’s arrest or a AT-TE.

Im so so so distraught that we didn’t get a Rex minifigure because it costs $100 to get one now and I doubt there would ever be another opportunity to release clone wars content down the line.

I'll get for sure the Night Buzzard, the IT-S (it's clearly a set that will never get realeased again), the AAT (for Ahsoka !), the AT-AT and the Razor Crest for sure

Not sure about the 501th battlepack and Soulless One (I have a very old 7656 one, maybe with a discount)

Kind of forgot about the already released set pictures for the other sets so here a final thoughts on the entire wave consisting of a total of 9 sets. 

Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor: Have the 2014 version so nothing new here. Can’t see anyone buying this if they have that version. 

501st Clone troopers: One of the best Lego Star Wars sets in a long time. I’ll buy a fair few to keep sealed. 

AAT: Figures are good, set less so. Might be one of those that looks better in person. I’ll get one. 

NightBuzzard: KoR are great and the set is solid. Good job. Don’t have the other KoR though so will have to see. 

Greivous Starfighter: Had the potential to be a great set it really did. One that I felt needed a remake. Yet the lazy figures and price pretty much confirm I will not pick this up. 

Resistance IT-S Transport: Look I like that’s it’s new and unique, but I could think of many more sets I’d rather have. The figures are decent but only 3 is rather disappointing. 

Death Star Final Duel: Strange choice and very unexpected! Close to the 2015 version so not sure why it’s being released. Didn’t have the 2015 version so if this goes on sale I’d be intrigued. 

RazorCrest: Great set, will sell very well. Shame no Beskar variant but that’s fine. 

AT-AT: This is a good set. Figures are good and it’s a far superior model imo than previous iterations.  

Overall some good figures and some decent sets. Definitely an improvement imo on the last few years’ summer waves. But for sure, the whole thing from leakers, Lego revealing sets, the type of sets has been strange. Strange but fun. Bring on Winter! 

We could be in for more pretty much direct re-releases of sets in the future (interceptor + DS Duel)

Edited by ArrowBricks

12 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah I’d imagine Disney Parks would for sure carry it (I think the one in Orlando also opened a Galaxy’s Edge to complement the one in Anaheim?) but it would make sense for LEGO brand stores to carry it as well, since there would definitely be people who either can’t make it to the park or don’t want to but still are interested in the set.  Especially now with the pandemic and such, I’d imagine theme park attendance may take a hit for the next few years, so it’d make sense for them to sell it on their own as well.

I'm hoping that too. Like a retailer exclusive, except for disney parks. They probably wouldn't make to much by stocking all the targets and walmarts, but I'm hoping we can at least order them online from lego.

2 minutes ago, Tanniao said:

Im so so so distraught that we didn’t get a Rex minifigure because it costs $100 to get one now and I doubt there would ever be another opportunity to release clone wars content down the line.

If you bricklink the parts, you can get him for like $15 from about 2 sellers, besides the pauldron, which is rare. Still sad we didn't get one, but if you do that you can get a pretty good one for 1/5 the cost.

1 minute ago, 0B1W4N said:

I'll get for sure the Night Buzzard, the IT-S (it's clearly a set that will never get realeased again), the AAT (for Ahsoka !), the AT-AT and the Razor Crest for sure

Not sure about the 501th battlepack and Soulless One (I have a very old 7656 one, maybe with a discount)

Reading this makes my wallet cry, I forgot about the razor crest and AT-AT. agh, I might have to pass on the IT-S! Doesn't look to have any exclusive parts besides the figures, so I might just bricklink Vi Moradi.

Just now, AndrewShun said:

Whoa boy, ain't that a flop

What?

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm hoping that too. Like a retailer exclusive, except for disney parks. They probably wouldn't make to much by stocking all the targets and walmarts, but I'm hoping we can at least order them online from lego.

If you bricklink the parts, you can get him for like $15 from about 2 sellers, besides the pauldron, which is rare. Still sad we didn't get one, but if you do that you can get a pretty good one for 1/5 the cost.

Reading this makes my wallet cry, I forgot about the razor crest and AT-AT. agh, I might have to pass on the IT-S! Doesn't look to have any exclusive parts besides the figures, so I might just bricklink Vi Moradi.

What?

Oh really? Wow I should try getting the 2013 Rex then. Thks!

but nonetheless still really disappointed. This was imo the last chance to get cw content from Lego

Why would we get an updated mold for a Varactyl with Obi and Codi when we can get a lazy remake of a ship we have already twice as the previous one did had a nice additional calamari jedi.

As someone who has SW sets from 1999, this is another boring wave. So easy skip on almost all the sets.

Only interesting set is that Ahsoka with AAT. AAT is not perfectly shaped, but the front piece is a new color i think (good for another color varian of Firespray / Slave 1 ship). Pity we dont have 2 Ahsokas troopers in that set.

The price will be 40Eur ? If true, ill have to wait on at least 30% discounts.

Other sets are not interesting as i have them already and they dont have anything special or i dont care about them - like ST stuff or that Galaxi Edge ship (hack even Freemakers were more known, but i understand they must do what Disney wants - promote GE when the attendance is not what they have predicted. Initially they proclaimed no advertisement for the park is need as people are eager to get there - did not worked as expected and then an add for the park was everywhere ....)

Im a bit angry why still no new mandalorian sets. Well ill go and purchase 3rd party customs then, think even Chinese cloners already have several versions of Baby Yoda.

On the other hand it leaves me money for Harry Potter line which is good and will be here only a limited time, then the sets will be super expensive. SW will be here for a long time, making the same ships over and over.

14 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

Other sets are not interesting as i have them already and they dont have anything special or i dont care about them - like ST stuff or that Galaxi Edge ship (hack even Freemakers were more known, but i understand they must do what Disney wants - promote GE when the attendance is not what they have predicted. Initially they proclaimed no advertisement for the park is need as people are eager to get there - did not worked as expected and then an add for the park was everywhere ....)

Im a bit angry why still no new mandalorian sets. Well ill go and purchase 3rd party customs then, think even Chinese cloners already have several versions of Baby Yoda.

It's been less than a year since galaxy's edge opened. I highly doubt disney is some malignant entity forcing them to produce this set because ticket sales weren't enough. The logic being:

It takes longer than you're suggesting it would for a set this big to be produced. It's highly unlikely this started production after the opening of the park, much less by the time they saw their profits were lower than expected.

If they're trying to boost ticket sales, a single expensive tie-in lego set isn't something that makes much sense in that regard. People have said this might only be sold at the parks, which would reduce the logic of that even further. 

We have 3 sets coming for mandalorian, hardly "no new sets". Razor crest, Buildable Baby Yoda, and brickheadz. 3 different forms of baby yoda to choose from. And the Chinese knockoff companies already have baby yoda because they rush out low quality products imitating lego.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

The AAT is serviceable. They did enough to improve over the last version, and Ahsoka is one of the few figures that makes the price tag easier to swallow.

The Night Buzzard scaled better than expected. The figures look good and I may pick it up.

The Death Star Final Duel is a iconic scene to portray, a good set design, and I fully endorse anyone who  skipped on the 2015 one to get this new one. However, all this does is motivate me to mod the one I have. If this was released next year or two years from now I would be perfectly fine with it, I am just as perplexed as everyone.

The Interceptor exists. $30 needs more than a figure and an astromech.

The Soulless One honestly does not look that great. The proportions just look off and I feel it fails to capture the sleek look other versions managed to pull off. I can't pin down what it is, but something feels lacking. I was already going to pass given the mini-figures and the price.

The resistance ship is a genuine surprise. Plus I actually like the design of the ship, it is like a more utilitarian and bulky Tantive. Simple but effective. I like the colors, I like the detail work on the figures, but most of all I like that we are getting something so out of left field. I actually really welcome this set.

Overall I get where people are coming from with saying the wave is a pass, but for me there is enough I like to outweigh the underwhelming.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I agree. I just feel as if the AAT looks a bit wonky though. Might just be me.

13 minutes ago, Tanniao said:

This was imo the last chance to get cw content from Lego

I'm willing to bet that we'll get some next year. TCW is far from dead (popularity wise).

Taking a page out of a few people's books:

Anakin's Interceptor: The 2014 release left little to be desired, but I'm sure costs a fortune second-hand (like it's wavemates Vulture Droid and V-Wing). Needed a third figure. Probably won't get it.

501st Legion: I'll save up to get about 5 initially, then bricklink additional figures. I've wanted a 501st army for awhile.

AAT: The build is a tad stubby, but I might get one or two. Need Ahsoka and the 332nd Trooper though (BP 2021, fingers crossed)

Night Buzzard: Dislike the ST overall, and the Knights sadly get grouped into it. Good they're complete, but they just aren't that interesting to me.

Soulless One: Skip. Might bricklink the Airborne, since it is technically new, but the price really kills the set.

IT-S Transport: Initially, I thought it was a ground vehicle. Then I realized it was a spaceship. Still, it's neat, even if at the expense of better options. Probably won't get it, but it's not a total skip.

Final Duel: Don't have the 2015 version. Probably will have to bite the bullet and get this one.

Razorcrest: Debating on it, because it is nice, but the figures don't do too much for me. Still, Mando and The Child. Heavily leaning towards it.

AT-AT: Don't have an AT-AT, this one might change that. Probably gonna get it.

5/9 is above 50% at least. Might swing to 6/9 if I decide to get Anakin's Interceptor. Unlikely, since, even though I don't have the 2014 one, I don't need this one. But I might get the ROTS urge and get it anyway.

My expectations were so low for the rest of this wave I was actually really surprised we are getting a new Ahsoka and 332nd trooper this wave; I figured there was no way - so it's a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one!

The other sets are a little baffling, however. The Throne Room is basically the same as the previous set but mirrored so the tube is on the other side. The Soulless One is also super similar to the 2011 one, but I can forgive that since we haven't seen a new one in 9 years (unlike the Throne Room). Funnily enough, the Night Buzzard looks a lot like the MOC that was being used as a placeholder image for the set. It's actually not bad for the price. Anakin's Interceptor is again, almost identical to the 2014 one and with no new desirable figures. The best set of the wave is arguably the AAT and that's because of the figures - and the Galaxy's Edge ship is really surprising to get, but not bad. Never thought we'd ever get that before any of the other Clone-Wars era stuff we are missing, but it must have been a Disney push. I don't mind it.

Edited by legozebra