MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

18 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

From my experience this is right. I told my mom,family and friends that i hate ot and only love pt but they had no idea what any of that is and bought me lego sets from star wars theme,and based the price of the set with the significance of what we celebrated,for example if its birthday or christmas i would get 100$ plus sets. Their mind was also set on something if they heard about character without ever watching a movie or being into it,such as darth vader,yoda,ewoks,princess amidala,r2,c3po. Even now when i am in my twenties my sister got me ahch-to island training set cause she thought its pretty and i dont have it.Would probably be different if they were into it too,but even though i dont enjoy the movies i still want some iconic stuff like at-st,at-at,royal guards,biker scouts,ewoks,imperial shuttle,endor based sets.

I will skip on advent calendar cause there is no prequel figures except pit and battle droid. I can just bricklink 3 pit droids. Glad there is our first lucrehulk in 21 years even if its in mini form. Still waiting for AAT to leak,thats the set i look towards the most atm.

When I was a kid my parents gave up and just had me give them a list of set numbers :laugh:. Don't be too hard on them, they're wanting to buy you gifts, after all. 

If there's one thing off with the calendar it's the lack of prequel figures. I know they're usually from sets released  a few waves before the calendar, so it makes sense to see TROS rey, sith trooper, etc, but I doubt many people prefer another tatooine luke to the anakin from the duel or something. Maybe next year we'll get a 12/25th legion clone trooper as the exclusive figure, with red and green markings :laugh:

10 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Same here, I got into Lego Star Wars around the same time so I'm very grateful for the re-releases, and even then I've had to wait almost 4 years for iconic vehicles like the AT-AT, with still no sign of a system scale Imperial Star Destroyer. I suppose you could argue that Lego should just produce iconic sets like the Falcon or an X-Wing for longer than usual rather than doing a re-release every couple of years and only doing re-releases when they can make significant updates and improvements, but that would probably just cause us to get less sets in the long run due to production and/or shelf space.

i managed to get the 2014 ISD for a pretty good price on bricklink, but even then it was a used set with no figures, and I got lucky. I like the idea of long shelf lives for iconic stuff, but I also agree with the logistic problems you bring up. I think usually lego does a great job making the re-releases not too frequent, too. (though luke's landspeeder has gotten out of hand). 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

There's a new Ahsoka and Ahsoka's Clone along with the 'Kashyyk' battle droid for the tank. And there's a new Death Star Final duel set. Plus a Resistance I-TS Transport.

Oh and a stated by many, there is no Cody in Grievous' Starfighter just an Airborne Clone. Grievous also looks suspiciously white to me not tan as was suggested and Obi-Wan is also a reuse of Mustafar Obi-Wan which seems a bit unfair on old Obi considering he comes out of that fight with a squeaky clean robe. ?

Edited by BacktoBricks

First I'll say flipping heck YES with the Ahsoka and Ahsoka's 501st Clone. I haven't bought a Star Wars set in quite a while now but methinks that's going to change for Ahsoka.

My quick thoughts:

AAT: yes because of Ahsoka and the clone. Model looks.... fine. Don't get why they're using that obscure battle droid variant if it's final but I have plenty OG battle droids so I don't care.

Knights of Ren ship - the Night Buzzard?: Good looking model and glad they didn't go overboard with size for a ship that's of no importance and will never be seen again. They captured it and it's something different, so that's nice. Figures are well done.

Grevious' Ship: another well done build. A bit disappointing that it's just an Airborne trooper but that's what the leaks already said, so it's no surprise. Going to be too expensive.

Final Duel 2.0: it looks incredibly similar to the last one, like it's phoned in. Maybe it is because they scrapped something else and wanted to fill a gap in the line very quickly?

Resistance ITS Transport: what is it? Is it from the Resistance show? The figures look cool and it's nice that it's something different and new, but it means nothing to me personally.

I did not expect a set based on Galaxy’s Edge at all! Glad we’re getting CW S7 Ahsoka and a 332nd Trooper. Bummed that Anakin’s Interceptor doesn’t include an extra figure. Night Buzzard is pretty much what I expected. Airborne 212th Trooper in the Grievous’ ship was predictable, we all knew it wouldn’t be Cody. Death Star Final Duel is odd as it’s so similar to the previous one. Not sure I’ll get it since the figures aren’t even any different except for Palpatine’s hood. Good wave, some surprises, plenty of nice figures  

Well I’m shocked. 75291 is a literal re-release of the Death Star Final Duel from 2015...WHAT? 

The AAT looks horrendous and no idea why there’s Kashyyyk Battle Droids... but Ahsoka and a 332nd Trooper means this will sell very well. 

Night Buzzard looks nice in all honesty! 

Cannot really see the point of the Interceptor, it’s just the same.

Resistance Transport Ship from what exactly? So strange...  

Grievous Ship looks nice but nobody is going to pick it up at that price unless you’re a reviewer of some sort. 

It’s just all round strange.

12 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Well I’m shocked. 75291 is a literal re-release of the Death Star Final Duel from 2015...WHAT? 

It does feel kind of strange, like 'This is not the Palpatine duel you're looking for.' But then there had to be some OT in the wave I suppose and ROTJ hasn't been as nearly well covered as ANH or ESB in the last three years. There has been very little ROTJ since 2016 in fact. I think it would definitely make sense if it wasn't for the fact that most people would have expected it to be the Palpatine duel from ROS they would release this year if any.

Edited by BacktoBricks

It looks like Obi-Wan in the Grievous’s Starfighter set has the Mustafar damage on his robes from the Duel on Mustafar set. That is such a letdown and significantly lowers the value of that set to me. Plus Grievous isn’t even new like leakers said. I want the ship but I will definitely wait for a major discount if I can find one, Lego was very lazy with the figures in this set. Reusing the Mustafar torso is a damn shame

Wow I am excited to finally see these pics!

First thoughts:

AAT set looks like it will work well combined with 501st Legion Pack. I will definitely pick up a few of these. The build doesn’t look phenomenal, but I’m happy to take it as a MOD opportunity.

I will probably buy Grevious’s ship. I don’t have the previous one and Utapau is a favourite scene from RoTS.

Real question is: do I want the New final duel set... or a second razor crest?... Probably second razor crest haha!

Knights of Ren ship actually looks better than expected... I think I will probably give it a miss all the same.

1 minute ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

It looks like Obi-Wan in the Grievous’s Starfighter set has the Mustafar damage on his robes from the Duel on Mustafar set. That is such a letdown and significantly lowers the value of that set to me. Plus Grievous isn’t even new like leakers said. I want the ship but I will definitely wait for a major discount if I can find one, Lego was very lazy with the figures in this set. Reusing the Mustafar torso is a damn shame

Yeah like I said, Obi-Wan comes out of that fight with a damn clean robe so it really is a cost cut to use the Mustafar version here. I was definitely expecting him to just have a 'clean' robe print. It was hinted that the clone in the ship wasn't Cody, but was new, but then I can't see anything particularly special about the 'new' Airborne Trooper. Grievous is also not tan as expected. All round a bit of a cop out.

I like the Night Buzzard. I'll get the AAT for the figures (the previous release of the vehicle looks better). 

Still not sure on the advent calendar.

Nice to see they've thrown a couple of surprises in, something not rumoured. 

Can't really comment on the rest as they aren't sets I'll pick up.

Edited by azzer86
Clarification

7 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

The AAT looks horrendous and no idea why there’s Kashyyyk Battle Droids.

They are not actually Kashyyk battle droids. They are the tank pilots and are seen through the clone wars piloting AAT's.

I don't really understand why we have another DS2 final duel. But I guess it'll be good for people that missed it the first time.

The Night Buzzard looks great I'll probably pick it up. The minifigs are interesting and the build doesn't look bad.

Grievous ship looks alright but is far too expensive.

Anakins starfighter is pretty good I've already got one so I'll pass. However it'll be good for those that are new to collecting or missed out on previous versions. 

The resistance transport looks nice but I'm going to pass. Although the minifig selection is quite good.

The AAT looks great. Ahsoka looks great. Ahsokas trooper looks great. I'm defenetly getting that set.

I also love how the Battle droid is no longer a 'Kashyyyk Battle Droid', but now an AAT Driver. At last the little guy got his driving license lol.

13 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

A literal re-release would be like the Taj Mahal or the old Legends sets: exactly the same set released again. The new Final Duel is somewhat different, but like I said in my previous post it still feels like something that could be designed in a month or less by taking the old model and just adding some bits.

The whole wave really feels like such an odd aimless mishmash. There are still fairly core parts of the Star Wars universe that have never been done, and yet here we get another Eta-2, another Soulless One which I guarantee no kid cares about or would no what it is, a Final Duel which is due for a new version I guess but is the mostly same as the last one, and a ship from the theme park? What the what?

Is this really only the second ever Anakin's yellow Eta-2 though? I thought surely there must be more, but I can't seem to find any on Brickset.

3 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Is this really only the second ever Anakin's yellow Eta-2 though? I thought surely there must be more, but I can't seem to find any on Brickset.

Third I think. I bought the original in the first RoTS wave (2005ish?). A more recent one allowed for full R2-D2 (2012ish?) it looked very similar to the coming release.

The Galaxy’s Edge set is seriously cool! :wub: A very nice tie in to the park, and completely unexpected! 

1 minute ago, Captain Nemo said:

The Galaxy’s Edge set is seriously cool! :wub: A very nice tie in to the park, and completely unexpected! 

That must be a Disney 'push' surely? I'm sure for some people like yourself it means something and is very cool, but if you've never been to the park like myself and I'm sure a lot of others it means diddly squat. I just can't see Lego choosing to make this and using a set slot for this off their own back. Still, I'm glad that those who do know the source material think it's good set.

Wow, a SW wave with actually good sets! What a novel concept! AAT with Ahsoka is a must buy, Grievous Starfighter look really good, hopefully rumored 80$ price is wrong or I will have to wait till sale. Night Buzzard looks good, hopefully it can fit all 6 Knights of Ren( I doubt), but will pick it up to complete Knight of Ren collection. Not interested in Resistance transport tbh, so easy pass for me. Anakin's Interceptor look like improvement of 2014, but I am still not sold on this one. And then there is DS duel: I don't know why they remade a great 2015 set without improving anything! It's 95% the same build with a few minor differences. Feels like cheap remake. Why not do something new and exciting?

8 minutes ago, AusChris said:

Third I think. I bought the original in the first RoTS wave (2005ish?). A more recent one allowed for full R2-D2 (2012ish?) it looked very similar to the coming release.

Oh, now I've found it. 75038 from 2014. I guess I can't fault them for doing another one six years later, and it seems like they wanted to get Episode III era Obi-Wan and Anakin in this wave along with Ahsoka.

Wow. Certainly one of the more eclectic waves of sets I’ve seen in recent memory.

The AAT looks pretty decent, naturally the standouts are Ahsoka and the 332nd Trooper which will make it a sure-sell for many, including myself. The Night Buzzard looks great for what it is, and Lego’s renditions of Cardo and Kuruk are faultless. 

Anakin’s Interceptor, as expected, is nothing exciting. I was hoping for a third mini figure as many of you also were but remain unsurprised at that’s not the case. Resistance Transport looks...okay I guess? Nice to see a new ship and a Galaxy’s Edge tie-in was inevitable I suppose, Hondo would have been a nice addition to this. Happy for those who missed out on 2015’s (perfectly fine) DSII Final Duel to be able to get the new one, though it still feels like a waste of a slot. Grievous’ Starfighter is honestly a head-scratcher. Absurdly overpriced without any tantalising mini figures to actually make it as appealing as it could have been.

While I’m grateful we’re getting some highlights in this wave (Razor Crest included), the best way to describe it is tone-deaf, in my opinion at least. More than a few sets from this wave are lazily designed, hopefully next year will offer a stronger line-up. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

I actually really like the new final duel, the new details along the window makes it a lot better, kinda wished they do the same thing for Palpatine’s Arrest. But overall this is such a great wave, definitely going to pick up the AT AT and Razorcrest, might pickup Final Duel and Night Buzzard, and the rest are a pass for me.

5 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

That must be a Disney 'push' surely? I'm sure for some people like yourself it means something and is very cool, but if you've never been to the park like myself and I'm sure a lot of others it means diddly squat. I just can't see Lego choosing to make this and using a set slot for this off their own back. Still, I'm glad that those who do know the source material think it's good set.

I’ve never been to the park. 

But as someone who really wants to go, this a fine consolation prize. After watching all the vlogs and ride-throughs, I know the characters (by sight at least). To me, this is vehemently more interesting than set rehashes. 

Just now, RODDY said:

I actually really like the new final duel, the new details along the window makes it a lot better, kinda wished they do the same thing for Palpatine’s Arrest. 

This is what was thinking as well! Why not make 60-80$ big duel set from every movie? We could get Duel of Fates, Duel on Geonosis, Palpatine's arrest, Cloud City duel. Why remake a fairly recent set with minor improvements?