MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

22 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

That's what I'm hoping for as well, they're really good but no way am I paying $20 for that. There are no exclusive printed pieces, no figures and most pieces are small so LEGO would be really stupid to charge us $20 for this, might as well just build it from your own collection if that were the case :def_shrug:

If it's $20 I'll at most buy The Joker. If it's $10 I'll think of starting to collect these.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

If it's $20 I'll at most buy The Joker. If it's $10 I'll think of starting to collect these.

If it's $20 I'll skip the theme, that's just not worth it imo. If it's 10 I'll definetely pick up Joker and BB8, maybe the rest if a series 2 comes out

OK, the 31200 Sith Mosaic will have 3167pcs and cost $100-$150. Question is, if the mosaic will look like these, or have a flat tile surface. Because if it has 2 layers with only tiles on top, even $150 would mean less than 5ct/pc, which ist not that bad, considering all the tiles. Even if there are many 1x1s. Now considering this, $20 for a sketch would be a d*** move by TLG.

3 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

OK, the 31200 Sith Mosaic will have 3167pcs and cost $100-$150. Question is, if the mosaic will look like these, or have a flat tile surface. Because if it has 2 layers with only tiles on top, even $150 would mean less than 5ct/pc, which ist not that bad, considering all the tiles. Even if there are many 1x1s. Now considering this, $20 for a sketch would be a d*** move by TLG.

Confirmed that those will be made out of 1x1 tiles (that's the reason for this amazing PPP ratio).

These specific designs aren't really for me, but I think that this has potential for some really cool stuff going forward (love the General Grievous idea, that could look amazing in this format).  I'm really surprised they didn't lead off with like R2-D2 or a C-3PO face.  $10 or $15 seems fair, but I agree that $20 is too much, I'd rather get a battle pack or something like a Jedi Starfighter for that money. 

This would look cool in someones lego city as mural,but unless they include a minifigure i am not paying 20 $ for it when i can bricklink the pieces and get it for half off. And why batman gets 2 main-ish characters and star wars gets 2 sequel side kicks is beyond me or i am just biased cause its another theme that will do star wars stuff and ignore prequels and clone wars like brickheadz.

2 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

5ct/pc wouldn't just be "not that bad", it'd be amazing, and it's probably due to the amount of 1x1 pieces that will be in the set.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

30 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

This would look cool in someones lego city as mural,but unless they include a minifigure i am not paying 20 $ for it when i can bricklink the pieces and get it for half off. And why batman gets 2 main-ish characters and star wars gets 2 sequel side kicks is beyond me or i am just biased cause its another theme that will do star wars stuff and ignore prequels and clone wars like brickheadz.

I guess they want to promote the ST to start off, and for display pieces like this masked characters and droids probably sell better. It's more interesting than murals of Rey, Finn, and Poe in my opinion. I suppose they could've swapped out the stormtrooper for Kylo though.

Since pics of the Hulkbuster and Avengers Tower are showing up, which I believe are also August releases, might we be seeing the rest of SW relatively soon?

41 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I mean, why does batman get 2 and there aren't any for marvel? Who knows why lego makes the choices they do. My best guess is they're the sequel characters because bb-8 is a really popular character that works well in this style, and the stormtrooper was chosen to "counter" him like joker with batman. We also probably won't see Rey, Luke, Anakin, etc, as masks/helmets/droids always work better in lego. Just look at the helmets, busts, etc.

Although based on your previous posts, pfp, and username, I'd guess you are "just biased" towards the prequels :laugh:. Nothing wrong with having a preferred trilogy as long as you aren't hating on the other ones.

7 minutes ago, UberCorp said:

Since pics of the Hulkbuster and Avengers Tower are showing up, which I believe are also August releases, might we be seeing the rest of SW relatively soon?

They're apparently june releases, which came out of nowhere. Although we're in late may now, so getting SW images is pretty likely going to happen in the upcoming weeks.

29 minutes ago, UberCorp said:

They are august releases but Target struck a deal with LEGO to get them early on June 1st. So basically these sets release 2 months earlier in the US than the rest of the world, we'll have to wait for the Star Wars setpictures a little longer 

22 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, why does batman get 2 and there aren't any for marvel? Who knows why lego makes the choices they do. My best guess is they're the sequel characters because bb-8 is a really popular character that works well in this style, and the stormtrooper was chosen to "counter" him like joker with batman. We also probably won't see Rey, Luke, Anakin, etc, as masks/helmets/droids always work better in lego. Just look at the helmets, busts, etc.

The Joker actually looks surprisingly really good and that's a face, but I think it's an exception because he intentionally looks very cartoon-ish, that's just how the character looks (kinda looks like the Hamill-era animated Joker mixed with Jack Nicholson live action Joker, and if they'd gone for the Heath Ledger or something, it'd probably look horrible in this style).  I agree, I think a realistic face wouldn't work too well.  So someone like Maul or a human character would look strange, but any mask/helmet would work well.  I personally can't wait for the inevitable R2/3PO pair, cause I think they'd look awesome.

Also, I don't really see these as side characters either, that's like saying an OT Stormie is a sidekick.

Edited by Kit Figsto

5 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

The Joker actually looks surprisingly really good and that's a face, but I think it's an exception because he intentionally looks very cartoon-ish, that's just how the character looks (kinda looks like the Hamill-era animated Joker mixed with Jack Nicholson live action Joker, and if they'd gone for the Heath Ledger or something, it'd probably look horrible in this style).  I agree, I think a realistic face wouldn't work too well.  So someone like Maul or a human character would look strange, but any mask/helmet would work well.  I personally can't wait for the inevitable R2/3PO pair, cause I think they'd look awesome.

Also, I don't really see these as side characters either, that's like saying an OT Stormie is a sidekick.

Long before making this theme the designer (Chris Mcveigh) made a lot more of these Brick Sketches. They are all available to see on his Flickr. This is his R2:

Screenshot_96.png

26 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

They are august releases but Target struck a deal with LEGO to get them early on June 1st

42 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

They're apparently june releases, which came out of nowhere.

Guess I got hopes up too early than :laugh:

37 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I agree, he works as a face but it's only because of how cartoony joker is already. A pheonix or Ledger joker wouldn't work.

33 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Long before making this theme the designer (Chris Mcveigh) made a lot more of these Brick Sketches. They are all available to see on his Flickr. This is his R2:

Screenshot_96.png

That's fantastic!  I'm sure if these sell marginally well, we'll get more (they seem similar to BrickHeadz in terms of being impulse buys that appeal to non-LEGO fans, something like this would work well on a desk), so hopefully the pricing is as such so that people actually buy them.

22 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

5ct/pc wouldn't just be "not that bad", it'd be amazing, and it's probably due to the amount of 1x1 pieces that will be in the set.

Only 1x1s lessens the excitement a bit. I hoped for more of the unusual ones like the triangular 2x2s and so, but still it will be a gold mine for tile-hunters. If it hits the lower end of the price  range excitement will grow again.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

So, I'm late to the party on the brick sketches, but I've seen the designers sketch MOCs before, so it's nice they're making a theme out of it. Batman and Joker make sense, but why didn't they do Vader and Luke for the Star Wars debut? Sure, maybe we'll get more down the line, but did they really have to start with a FO Stormie and BB-8? An OT Stormie and R2 would've been better, but I digress...

Also, since the mosiacs are going to be pretty large with 1x1 tiles, does anyone worry about a tedious experience? I sometimes have trouble focusing, so greebling and stuff can be challenging (especially things like the Y-Wing's details). I know that's not everyone, but essentially thousands of little pieces (and virtually all tiles) might be hell to assemble. It's an interesting concept, to be certain, so I hope they figure out a way to mix it up, even if it's just differently shaped tiles/studs/whatever.

9 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Only 1x1s lessens the excitement a bit. I hoped for more of the unusual ones like the triangular 2x2s and so, but still it will be a gold mine for tule-hunters. If it hits the lower end of the price  range excitement will grow again.

Yeah, we do need some of those parts to appear more so the bricklink prices aren't so bad, but I kind of like that it's a sort of pixel-by-pixel mosiac.

8 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So, I'm late to the party on the brick sketches, but I've seen the designers sketch MOCs before, so it's nice they're making a theme out of it. Batman and Joker make sense, but why didn't they do Vader and Luke for the Star Wars debut? Sure, maybe we'll get more down the line, but did they really have to start with a FO Stormie and BB-8? An OT Stormie and R2 would've been better, but I digress...

Also, since the mosiacs are going to be pretty large with 1x1 tiles, does anyone worry about a tedious experience? I sometimes have trouble focusing, so greebling and stuff can be challenging (especially things like the Y-Wing's details). I know that's not everyone, but essentially thousands of little pieces (and virtually all tiles) might be hell to assemble. It's an interesting concept, to be certain, so I hope they figure out a way to mix it up, even if it's just differently shaped tiles/studs/whatever.

Only thing I can think of is that they've done some research that BB-8 is super popular or something. I could see r2 and threepio, vader and a stormtrooper, etc, down the line. 

I hadn't thought about that problem with the mosiac, but it's a good point. it's not really something lego could have prevented, since mosaics usually do look like that, but it will be pretty tedious. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

ugh. Hopefully they're thicker than they look, but I can't see these selling better than brickheadz

Check reviews on Brickset, for example Joker is pretty thick, but Batman on the other hand...

Does anyone know why we got images of Grievous' Starfighter so early, but none of the others for that wave (AAT etc)? Seems rather odd to just get leaks for the one. Has this happened before?