MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, SillySeeker said:

I dont think advent calendars are the most efficient way to army build :laugh:

Yeah, maybe army building is the wrong label, unit building it be better =) 

And of course battle packs are better, but few other sets add a couple of figures that are generic troopers of any kind, that otherwise only exist in one or two much more expensive sets.

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

okey, well I think there have been one new character in the advent calendars recent years, like the Rogue one Pilot and the TFA officer.

And new figures for army building, not the same

You expect too much from Advent Calendar. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

What do you mean by "new figures for army building"? Most army-building figures (I'm assuming here that you mean characters like stormtroopers, death troopers, and sith troopers, as people rarely want armies of Rowan or Final Duel Luke) appear in cheaper sets in larger numbers by the time they're in an advent calendar.

Yes of course I mean stormies, death troopers etc. But these are pretty frequent in a lot of other sets, so last years rebel fleet trooper or previous year Guavian soldier, like these kinds of like "somehow new in the way that they have only been in one set before so they have been before so they have been pretty expensive to gather before. Like for example if we got a Mimban stormtrooper or a sandtrooper that would make it possible to start collecting a group of them, at current situation it will not be worth it for the majority of us.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I don't recall this ever happening. Typically we get 3-4 unnamed, massable figures pulled from the prior year's sets — Cloud Car Pilot, Bespin Guard, Stormtroopers and Rebel Soldiers, an officer of some kind. Battle droids a plenty. This year is uncommon in that we are getting multiple named/primary characters, more like the Harry Potter Advent from last year.

Yes, so thats why I dont like it, I want either unnamed massable figures that have only apperead maybe like in one set or maximum 2 expensive sets earlier, and a named character that has not been in any set at all before, and this years advent calendar seem to have either of those

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

You expect too much from Advent Calendar. 

If I do, how come I've been somehow satisfied previous years but this time no... + I really (hate is a strong word I know) Poe Dameron. So... made if worse

45 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Yes of course I mean stormies, death troopers etc. But these are pretty frequent in a lot of other sets, so last years rebel fleet trooper or previous year Guavian soldier, like these kinds of like "somehow new in the way that they have only been in one set before so they have been before so they have been pretty expensive to gather before. Like for example if we got a Mimban stormtrooper or a sandtrooper that would make it possible to start collecting a group of them, at current situation it will not be worth it for the majority of us.

Yes, so thats why I dont like it, I want either unnamed massable figures that have only apperead maybe like in one set or maximum 2 expensive sets earlier, and a named character that has not been in any set at all before, and this years advent calendar seem to have either of those

If I do, how come I've been somehow satisfied previous years but this time no... + I really (hate is a strong word I know) Poe Dameron. So... made if worse

1. the rebel fleet trooper was in a cheaper set before that as well, though I agree it's still hard to army build the calendar doesn't really provide a huge advantage here. (I personally just collect the 2008 one that's like $3 each on bricklink, I have more of them than I probably should :laugh:), and while it's technically a better deal to get the guavian from this set it's 1 cent cheaper to buy 2 copies and get 2 soldiers than the set with 2 soldiers and their boss. My point is just that advent calendars aren't really supposed to function as army builders. Cloud car pilot is the only example I can think of where we got a previously expensive, massable character in a calendar (though why anyone needs an army of cloud car pilots is beyond me)

2. Advent calendars rarely have new characters. Besides random resistance officer #472 and Merrick, there actually aren't any, I think. There's always one character with new printing, and in all but the past few years it's been christmas themed, as is the point of an advent calendar (personally this is the first one I'll buy in awhile, ugly sweater vader sounds hilarious.

3. But then that's the thing, it's a personal preference. Nobody has a problem with you hating poe. (I mean, maybe oscar isaac.). But that just means you'll like it less, not that the set is objectively bad.

Some minifigure leaked, the torso and legs could be good for ahsoka from the Ahsoka's walkabout arc, though you'd have to switch out the hands.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Some minifigure leaked, the torso and legs could be good for ahsoka from the Ahsoka's walkabout arc, though you'd have to switch out the hands.

Just saw. After comparing to her appearance, Ahsoka doesn't have pockets on her legs like this has and the torso would have most likely had a belt. The bag is unfamiliar from the story also so I'm thinking this is most likely for some Lego City set. Then again, Thrawn wasn't accurate when they released his minifig, but rather pulled from his prototype. Ahsoka's prototype from the walkabout arc may have not have had the belt and could have had pants pockets and a bag. I'm hoping that if we do get an Ahsoka it is based on the finale version, but who knows.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

1. the rebel fleet trooper was in a cheaper set before that as well, though I agree it's still hard to army build the calendar doesn't really provide a huge advantage here. (I personally just collect the 2008 one that's like $3 each on bricklink, I have more of them than I probably should :laugh:), and while it's technically a better deal to get the guavian from this set it's 1 cent cheaper to buy 2 copies and get 2 soldiers than the set with 2 soldiers and their boss. My point is just that advent calendars aren't really supposed to function as army builders. Cloud car pilot is the only example I can think of where we got a previously expensive, massable character in a calendar (though why anyone needs an army of cloud car pilots is beyond me)

2. Advent calendars rarely have new characters. Besides random resistance officer #472 and Merrick, there actually aren't any, I think. There's always one character with new printing, and in all but the past few years it's been christmas themed, as is the point of an advent calendar (personally this is the first one I'll buy in awhile, ugly sweater vader sounds hilarious.

3. But then that's the thing, it's a personal preference. Nobody has a problem with you hating poe. (I mean, maybe oscar isaac.). But that just means you'll like it less, not that the set is objectively bad.

1. Yes I know, but didn't have the energy the get into too much detail on my dysfunctional mobilephone (on the laptop now) But in one cheapisch set and one very expensive. Well that was a pretty detailed calculation. Although if the case is that it's not only Guavians someone is after (where I would suggest bricklink as a better option) one would still get a bunch of other generic troopers when buying a adventcalender, which mean one can armybuild several units simultanously. This might be regional, I don't know, but around christmas or just after, there is not unusual here to be able to purchase a couple of adventcalender for 100 SEK each (little less than 10 euro) so I would say that the choice of figures in an adventcalender can make a difference. 

2. If you say so, have not bought advent calenders longer than 2016, but still it has happened then half the time since I started to buy calenders, which means for me, it wasn't unrealistical to expect it.

3. Yes you are completely right, just added that information as some kind of humour

13 minutes ago, HutchProDucktions said:

Just saw. After comparing to her appearance, Ahsoka doesn't have pockets on her legs like this has and the torso would have most likely had a belt. The bag is unfamiliar from the story also so I'm thinking this is most likely for some Lego City set. Then again, Thrawn wasn't accurate when they released his minifig, but rather pulled from his prototype. Ahsoka's prototype from the walkabout arc may have not have had the belt and could have had pants pockets and a bag. I'm hoping that if we do get an Ahsoka it is based on the finale version, but who knows.

I'm pretty sure @Mandalorianknight meant it was a good torso/legs for people looking to make a custom Ahsoka figure. The fact this figure is from City is incredibly obvious

I'm surprised to hear that some people consider advent calendars army builders, I've always seen the troopers and stuff like that in them as just supplements more than anything.

19 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

I'm surprised to hear that some people consider advent calendars army builders, I've always seen the troopers and stuff like that in them as just supplements more than anything.

It really depends on the Advent. There are some that lend themselves to it and others that don't. And some that function as pretty good parts packs, regardless of the figs. It's maybe not cost-effective at full price, but they drop 20% (or more) sometime before Christmas and tend to remain discounted until they sell out the next year.

3 hours ago, HutchProDucktions said:

Oh, as @Guyon2002 I just meant it could work for the figure, I didn't mean it was a leak of her. The bag you could cover with her head tail thing.

same here, finale version would be much better to get.

3 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

1. Yes I know, but didn't have the energy the get into too much detail on my dysfunctional mobilephone (on the laptop now) But in one cheapisch set and one very expensive. Well that was a pretty detailed calculation. Although if the case is that it's not only Guavians someone is after (where I would suggest bricklink as a better option) one would still get a bunch of other generic troopers when buying a adventcalender, which mean one can armybuild several units simultanously. This might be regional, I don't know, but around christmas or just after, there is not unusual here to be able to purchase a couple of adventcalender for 100 SEK each (little less than 10 euro) so I would say that the choice of figures in an adventcalender can make a difference. 

2. If you say so, have not bought advent calenders longer than 2016, but still it has happened then half the time since I started to buy calenders, which means for me, it wasn't unrealistical to expect it.

3. Yes you are completely right, just added that information as some kind of humour

1. I see your point, it makes for good simultaneos army building. Especially if drops to 10 euro, that's a great deal!

2. Upon some brickset checking, yeah, with 1 1/2 exceptions it's one exclusive figure per customer.

3. oh, that makes more sense. Personally I'm stoked to be able to get this poe in a set besides the y-wing, I just think the design is cool.

So from the new CW trailer that's 100% Cato Nemodia, which makes the 501st legion set directly fit from that trailer (or the next episode, I guess). I just think it's cool that they're probably direct tie-ins, even if it does mean ahsoka's less likely for the AAT.

Since the reveal of the UCS A-Wing is imminent, here is a handy-dandy checklist for you to craft your complaints!

[  ] TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS?!? This set should have been {insert your own absurdly low and completely unrealistic number here!}.

[  ] IT’S WAAAAAY TOO BIG!!! This isn’t to scale with any of the other UCS sets I didn’t buy! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! This set should have been minifig scale, like all the other UCS sets. Oh, wait...

[  ] ONLY {redacted} PIECES?!? The UCS Y-Wing had 300 more pieces at the same price. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! All parts are clearly created equal and thus this should have exactly the same number of parts (or more) as all previous $200 sets or else it’s a complete ripoff!

…and a variation if you want to get creative:

[  ] THE PRICE PER PART (PPP) is 12¢?!? THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. Previous UCS sets have averaged .1¢ lower than this! Disney tax at work once again!

[  ] ONLY ONE MINIFIG IN A UCS SET?!? Even the Star Destroyer had 2 minifigs! 

[  ] TOO MANY STUDS!!! This MOC I found with 10,000 pieces had fewer studs and is clearly better! LEGO designers can’t design for $#!T!

[  ] NOT ENOUGH STUDS!!! Anio’s MOC had way more studs and is clearly better! LEGO designers can’t design for $#!T!

[  ] WHY ISN’T IT {Insert your color here}?!? Did it have to be dark red? I have some dark red bricks that broke! I wanted it to be {blue/green/turquoise} to match {whatever obscure Legends variant I prefer}!

You’re welcome.

Just now, jdubbs said:

Since the reveal of the UCS A-Wing is imminent, here is a handy-dandy checklist for you to craft your complaints!

[  ] TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS?!? This set should have been {insert your own absurdly low and completely unrealistic number here!}.

[  ] IT’S WAAAAAY TOO BIG!!! This isn’t to scale with any of the other UCS sets I didn’t buy! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! This set should have been minifig scale, like all the other UCS sets. Oh, wait...

[  ] ONLY {redacted} PIECES?!? The UCS Y-Wing had 300 more pieces at the same price. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! All parts are clearly created equal and thus this should have exactly the same number of parts (or more) as all previous $200 sets or else it’s a complete ripoff!

[  ] THE PRICE PER PART (PPP) is 12¢?!? THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. Previous UCS sets have averaged .1¢ lower than this! Disney tax at work once again!

[  ] TOO MANY STUDS!!! This MOC I found with 10,000 pieces had fewer studs and is clearly better! LEGO designers can’t design for $#!T!

[  ] NOT ENOUGH STUDS!!! Anio’s MOC had way more studs and is clearly better! LEGO designers can’t design for $#!T!

[  ] WHY ISN’T IT {Insert your color here}?!? Did it have to be dark red? I have some dark red bricks that broke! I wanted it to be {blue/green/turquoise} to match {whatever obscure Legends variant I prefer}!

You’re welcome.

Everybody get your bingo cards ready!

Hilarious, but sad in how true it is.

Just now, jdubbs said:

You’re welcome.

Sounds like its going to check all the boxes for me that a UCS set should. Here's hoping its $300 AUD and not $330 (or higer) like the Snowspeeder.

2 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

[...]

Assuming that wasn't all tongue-in-cheek, you actually gave us quite a bit of information in this post!  Some of these complaints are entirely valid, IMO, but only insofar as they are personal preferences, with the ultimate preference being one's choice of whether or not to drop $200.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

<...>

*yawn*

Just now, AndrewShun said:

*yawn*

Sorry. I know your greatest hits must feel very familiar at this point. 

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

You’re welcome.

Nice! And sadly probably true. I'm getting it regardless! I need a UCS project, and as long as they keep making sets I missed out on, or have never made, I'm in! I still have a little bit of room left but not much. 6 UCS sets, and 5 MOCS take up space!

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

You’re welcome.

Another one might be:

[ ] WHY ISN’T THIS A GUNSHIP Supreme Leader said we would get a Republican Gunship. Boycott the 501st battle pack in protest!

I’m still hoping for Luke’s Landspeeder or an X-wing.

But honestly something around the deck length of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay, about 35-40cm, would make $AUD 330 bearable.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:20 PM, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Considering Rey is in the Night Buzzard, I think there may be a small chance that set will also have Ben And Palpatine in it, and it could be an excuse for a final duel. That would make 500 pieces for $70 easier to swallow for sure.

Yes, but I am thinking that because they are including the other two Knights of Ren in the Night Buzzard set I am not thinking that Lego will be putting so many important named figures in this type of not-d2c set because most of the time they are seeming to like to be splitting them in different sets so people are collecting them all I think.

20 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Don‘t you mean Crait? :wink: That would be an excellent choice, even though it‘d be quite weird to get two exclusive TLJ versions of Luke in subsequent advent calendars. Watch it be the version from this year’s Obi-Wan‘s hut set instead :tongue:

That's the one. And yeah knowing LEGO that wouldn't suprise me at all :grin:.

With the calendar. It really depends on what eras of Star Wars you're into and what you do with your sets. I build for Factions (the RPG contest we have here) so having the extra characters can help flesh out a scene I'm building. 

5 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

Another one might be:

[ ] WHY ISN’T THIS A GUNSHIP Supreme Leader said we would get a Republican Gunship. Boycott the 501st battle pack in protest!

Good one :laugh:

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, some chuckleheads will absolutely react like that since they have no idea how the design/production process works and aren‘t willing to educate themselves. We have all the knowledge of the world in our pockets, yet people remain as ignorant as ever (or even more so than before) :hmpf_bad:

1 hour ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Yes, but I am thinking that because they are including the other two Knights of Ren in the Night Buzzard set I am not thinking that Lego will be putting so many important named figures in this type of not-d2c set because most of the time they are seeming to like to be splitting them in different sets so people are collecting them all I think.

The Night Buzzard comes with Rey, Cardo and Kuruk. Has been confirmed a while ago

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

You’re welcome.

You left out “An A-Wing. Why not ‘X’ vehicle which has much broader appeal...to me?”

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Since the reveal of the UCS A-Wing is imminent, here is a handy-dandy checklist for you to craft your complaints!...

...You’re welcome.

:roflmao:  Thank you!  I'm preparing with some eye roll exercises as we speak :facepalm:  This should be fun.