MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

26 minutes ago, SillySeeker said:

Didn't they also just use black heads for the Mandalorians in the new battle pack? I don't think they are totally against the idea of using black heads and I would prefer them over the angry clone face. I've never heard of that theory with kids thinking that, but it sounds very interesting.

Yes, and it was also used for the Mandalorian himself and Phasma. Nowadays it seems like they use it as a placeholder head for "mysterious" characters than anything else.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Didn't they step away from black heads because kids thought Stormtroopers were faceless humanoids or something like that? Or is my brain just messing with me :def_shrug:

I think George Lucas actually encouraged the stormtroopers being faceless, but I mean I guess it's possible. It's definitely cheaper to just use blank black heads, so I honestly can't think of a better reason.

2 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Yes, and it was also used for the Mandalorian himself and Phasma. Nowadays it seems like they use it as a placeholder head for "mysterious" characters than anything else.

Yeah, basically whenever they don't know what a character looks like under the helmet.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Graupensuppe said:

The legs of the new clone trooper actually seem more accurate than before, but the torso and helmet really aren't.

SJdtGrs.png

I wonder whether the clone in Grievous' Starfighter will look like this as well, or if it's once again a separate style for TCW sets only.

Good call. Taking a closer look at the new pictures I just realized too that the new minifigs weren't going to use the existing movie-inspired prints but would instead be in the dreaded animated style. What a waste. They couldn't even reproduce the "i" symbol on the chest properly because there wasn't enough room for it due to the weird proportions. A shame since it would clearly have worked on the other print...

Now I think I'm gonna pass on this set, not a fan of the animated style, especially for troopers. I thought they were on the right track after they released that Senate commando battlepack a while ago. I would have liked to get more TCW-inspired sets in a realistic style.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Unfortunately, this is the most likely. It's not a big deal in terms of the set itself, but I don't get why angry clone still exists. It's got to be more expensive than just using a blank black head to look like their body glove, so you don't have flesh being visible when they're in armor, and it's a lot less accurate for at least the stormtroopers. (I would say the clones too, as Temuera Morrison has a darker skin tone than light flesh)

I still think the best was the stormtrooper heads we got around 2012-ish, only for a couple of waves, that were basically like the original Jango Fett head with black printing all around the head and then a small cutout for a face.  I know that the colors could sometimes be a bit off, since I guess the black contrasted really badly with the tan of the face, but it really helped with the flesh peeking out from the bottom.  With people like Vader or Boba Fett, or even a Sandtrooper, it really doesn't matter since the neck accessories block most of it out, but on clones or stormtroopers it's really obvious.  Phase I clones are probably the worst, since the stormtrooper and phase II clones have more of the front covered, but the back is fairly exposed.  I'd love if they could do something with the dual-molding technology, since that's been used a lot more for arms and legs recently, I dunno if a dual-molded head would screw up the strength of the part, but it would be amazing as far as keeping the colors bright but preventing that tan from peeking out.

I'm in the camp of prefering just black heads for Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers so that black is shown under the helmet, plus it's cheaper, black heads are far more useful in general and it's not like anyone takes their helmets off. The Stormtroopers with printed black heads to represent bolas were really nice but LEGO seems unwilling to properly print light colors on dark pieces. They've never been great at it but they've somehow gotten worse at it over the years. Hopefully they fix that someday but until then I'd rather they just avoid it as much as possible. As far as the printing goes on the 501st helmets, I actually think it's a big improvement, especially with the T visor. The last standard phase 2 clone I felt the T was too wide and thin. With the new one I feel the T is in better proportion to a minifig head and where the eyes of the fig would be looking through the visor. It's not 100% accurate but I think it looks pretty darn good.

Btw, does anyone else wish that they'd use dark blue for the 501st? That seems like it would be more accurate and would look better to me.

Edited by ToaDraco

1 hour ago, Elrond said:

Good call. Taking a closer look at the new pictures I just realized too that the new minifigs weren't going to use the existing movie-inspired prints but would instead be in the dreaded animated style. What a waste. They couldn't even reproduce the "i" symbol on the chest properly because there wasn't enough room for it due to the weird proportions. A shame since it would clearly have worked on the other print...

Now I think I'm gonna pass on this set, not a fan of the animated style, especially for troopers. I thought they were on the right track after they released that Senate commando battlepack a while ago. I would have liked to get more TCW-inspired sets in a realistic style.

I personally think they are based on the movies.  I think they are more movie accurate than TCW accurate. 

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

I personally think they are based on the movies.  I think they are more movie accurate than TCW accurate. 

I really don't see it. They have that much larger, less detailed abdominal armour piece and the smaller, less angular chest piece. Compare the Episode III model and the minifigs to this pic:

ahsokas_501st.jpeg

The only part that seems to be based on the movie style is the belt.

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I still think the best was the stormtrooper heads we got around 2012-ish, only for a couple of waves, that were basically like the original Jango Fett head with black printing all around the head and then a small cutout for a face.  I know that the colors could sometimes be a bit off, since I guess the black contrasted really badly with the tan of the face, but it really helped with the flesh peeking out from the bottom.  With people like Vader or Boba Fett, or even a Sandtrooper, it really doesn't matter since the neck accessories block most of it out, but on clones or stormtroopers it's really obvious.  Phase I clones are probably the worst, since the stormtrooper and phase II clones have more of the front covered, but the back is fairly exposed.  I'd love if they could do something with the dual-molding technology, since that's been used a lot more for arms and legs recently, I dunno if a dual-molded head would screw up the strength of the part, but it would be amazing as far as keeping the colors bright but preventing that tan from peeking out.

I agree, in concept the 2012 heads were the best, though in execution the printing was off. 

1 minute ago, Elrond said:

I really don't see it. They have that much larger, less detailed abdominal armour piece and the smaller, less angular chest piece. Compare the Episode III model and the minifigs to this pic:

The only part that seems to be based on the movie style is the belt.

I for one see them as pretty accurate to both, though they are clearly based on TCW season 7 as you say.

@ToaDraco I agree about the visors, not sure about the 501st being dark blue. They're definately normal blue in TCW, and in ROTS it's more complicated. We only see them in the attack on the temple, as far as I remember, and they do look darker blue but they're also in darker surroundings. They seem the normal blue to me in images like this one.

e4b90de9d423aefd601e844bf5c5594c--clone-trooper-helmet-clone-troopers.jpg

Edited by Mandalorianknight

I never had a problem with the old animated figures, so I don't mind these taking a different route than "normal" figures. However, I do wish they had just replicated the 2013 figure to that end, as it looks better (in terms of animated styling), or just go movie style (like the 2014 212th Troopers). That being said, I still like these figures. It took me a while to warm up to the Rebels Stormtroopers and the new helmet Stormtroopers, so I think these will grow on me (and others) in time. After all, the Phase I clones from 2008-2010 were all the rage at one point, and those were animated.

2 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Btw, does anyone else wish that they'd use dark blue for the 501st? That seems like it would be more accurate and would look better to me.

I do! It's tricky, due to promo shots looking like a bright blue and movie stills looking dark blue, but I've always thought the 501st should be in dark blue, at least for the movies. In The Clone Wars, however, they are more of a normal blue color, which is evident despite the lighting. Or, at least somewhere in between Lego's blue and dark blue.

i know we left this behind a few pages ago but wasn't the shitty tie dagger from earlier this year the same price as the soulless one for roughly the same piece count?

and stormies seem fine without black heads, the new helmet goes over enough of the head that it just doesn't appear

23 minutes ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

i know we left this behind a few pages ago but wasn't the shitty tie dagger from earlier this year the same price as the soulless one for roughly the same piece count?

Yup, it even had a few pieces less than the Soulless One

LEGO better change up their strategy soon when it comes to Star Wars, I know licensing heavily influences it but these prices are ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I know that the colors could sometimes be a bit off, since I guess the black contrasted really badly with the tan of the face, but it really helped with the flesh peeking out from the bottom.  With people like Vader or Boba Fett, or even a Sandtrooper, it really doesn't matter since the neck accessories block most of it out, but on clones or stormtroopers it's really obvious.  Phase I clones are probably the worst, since the stormtrooper and phase II clones have more of the front covered, but the back is fairly exposed.

The phase 1 clones may be bad, but TIE pilots are by far the worst. Look upon it and weep!

ky-eGHJzTc5gKLiaY7v75c8X7kr4G2PG3Foc5-ar

6 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The phase 1 clones may be bad, but TIE pilots are by far the worst. Look upon it and weep!

You're right, that mold is by far the worst. 

Another minor thing about angry clone, for these TIE pilots and other characters, at the point in time these sets are being made at, (5BBY-4ABY for at least the majority of rebellion era sets, not counting the 3 sets from solo that came with imperials), there are barely any clones left in the empire. So it's overwhelmingly likely that these troopers are not clones.

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

LEGO better change up their strategy soon when it comes to Star Wars, I know licensing heavily influences it but these prices are ridiculous. 

Most of these sets seem priced fine for me, but I agree about the soulless one. there was a $50 set back in 2010 that had his ship, 3 figures, and a plate with a chair build and weapon rack. So very similar to this upcoming set, except as far as we know there's no chair build or weapon rack. $50 in 2010 would amount to a little over $60 in 2020, accounting for inflation, which is still almost $20 away. The 2010 set also had 33 less parts than this one, so it's not like there's a surprise extra build.

I would say the TIE dagger wasn't as bad though, most of the parts were large angled plates that had been introduced only a few months prior, or smaller ones that were introduced in the set.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Most of these sets seem priced fine for me, but I agree about the soulless one. there was a $50 set back in 2010 that had his ship, 3 figures, and a plate with a chair build and weapon rack. So very similar to this upcoming set, except as far as we know there's no chair build or weapon rack. $50 in 2010 would amount to a little over $60 in 2020, accounting for inflation, which is still almost $20 away. The 2010 set also had 33 less parts than this one, so it's not like there's a surprise extra build.

Though I do think a lot of SW sets are overpriced I was now strictly speaking about sets similair to the Soulless One and TIE Dagger, though I see that wasn't 100% clear

9 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I remember thinking that set was overpriced, since we had just gotten the ship for $30 in 2007!  At the time, I wasn't paying too much attention to the fact that it was a little bit larger, but just funny to look back and see sets where the pricing was considered off at the time and now would be more than welcomed.  

That said, I'm just really puzzled by this price.  The only thing I can think of is that there must be some new and larger molds that are keeping their costs so high.  The ship itself is very rounded on the edges, so maybe some larger pieces to be used for the wings?  I dunno, usually there'll be a set that's dramatically overpriced for no reason, but this one seems a lot worse than the typical $10-15 overpricing.  

I remember thinking that set was overpriced, since we had just gotten the ship for $30 in 2007!  At the time, I wasn't paying too much attention to the fact that it was a little bit larger, but just funny to look back and see sets where the pricing was considered off at the time and now would be more than welcomed.  

That said, I'm just really puzzled by this price.  The only thing I can think of is that there must be some new and larger molds that are keeping their costs so high.  The ship itself is very rounded on the edges, so maybe some larger pieces to be used for the wings?  I dunno, usually there'll be a set that's dramatically overpriced for no reason, but this one seems a lot worse than the typical $10-15 overpricing.  

Maybe there really is a boga :laugh:. I'm with you here, not sure at all what's up with the price for this one. I'm young enough that in 2010 my thoughts were more "grievous is in this one, I'll ask for it for christmas" :head_back:, but looking at it it is larger and more complex than the 2007 set, but not $30 larger.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Though I do think a lot of SW sets are overpriced I was now strictly speaking about sets similair to the Soulless One and TIE Dagger, though I see that wasn't 100% clear

I agree there, lots of starfighter sets are starting to seem overpriced (Poe's 2020 x-wing, anyone?). The TIES usually have the excuse of large panel parts, but in sets like Vonreg's TIE it's not nearly enough to justify the price.

Actually, thinking of sets like snoke's throne room, it might just be sets in that price range in general.

Speaking of the TIE dagger and overpriced sets, why haven't the winter wave sets gone on sale? The last few waves went on sale as soon as they hit store shelves, but we're three months into 2020 and I haven't seen a single discount on the winter sets.

From what I've seen (and granted, I haven't been in a store that sells LEGO in about 4 weeks now), a lot of stores still can't keep some of the sets on the shelves.  I've yet to see the Mandalorian BP (I found it at Kohl's after Christmas in the US, haven't seen it since), for some reason both Ben's Hut and Luke's Landspeeder have been really tough to find around me, I've seen the X-Wing and TIE, and most of the stores around me have had the Mustafar set in stock, but my guess is that if the sets as a whole are selling well enough right now, no need to discount them yet.  I'm sure by the time the summer wave rolls around we'll definitely see some markdowns at Target/Walmart-type stores, at least in the United States, where that's been somewhat common the past few years.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's interesting that for example Marvel sets (recently) have a really good PPP ratio and general content to price ratio. They are both Disney's property so I don't know why there's a difference. Of course SW sets have more exclusive moulds and leg pritning, but with summer Avengers wave (from what we've seen and heard so far) I don't see any quality difference.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:25 PM, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, I have sitting on the table near me both the most recent starfighter (Anakin's Clone Wars version), which was $20 and marked down to about $16 at Target by the time it had been on shelves for a year (you can actually still find it at a lot of stores) and an older version of an Eta-class Jedi starfighter (which is from 2007, so I know there's been a lot of upgrades to it since then), but size-wise, the Clone Wars version is just so much larger, it seems strange that the movie Eta-class fighters go for $25-30.  I'd love it if they gave us a buzz droid or something for Anakin to fight in the set, since we haven't gotten one for a while, but I think expecting anything beyond just Anakin/R2-D2 and the ship is wishful thinking.  

do find it to be an odd choice that they're giving us a different version of Anakin's starfighter when you can still find the most recent version on shelves.  I can't imagine a lot of kids would be clamoring for the new one since many could have the 2018 version, and I would guess a lot of parents could end up saying "You already have one just like that!" if a kid asks for it.  I realize that they're different ships, but they're both cheap, small fighters, same figures, and same color scheme.  To someone who isn't paying a lot of attention to the specifics of each set, they may as well be the same.  

Yes you are exactly right, it is very odd. The one from 2007 is roughly the same size as the one from 2014, so the size comparison you see is definitely significant. The interceptors are just small. I mean, they are supposed to be, but for $30 it just seems out there unless they are planning to include some other minifigures. Then again, we did just get a $30 landspeeder...

The other annoying thing about it is we will most likely get another Anakin with headset. Its been a very long time since we got an Episode III Anakin without a headset or sith eyes. In fact, I think the only times we got that were in the original mustafar duel and the Palpatine arrest set. I guess its hard to come up with a set that he doesn't have either of those two faces considering his remaining scenes in ROTS are mostly dialogue, but with them doing more Clone Wars sets like they did with his starfighter a couple years ago (which he didn't even use the headset with in the first place...) I'd like to see a normal Anakin Skywalker face.

40 minutes ago, HutchProDucktions said:

The other annoying thing about it is we will most likely get another Anakin with headset. Its been a very long time since we got an Episode III Anakin without a headset or sith eyes. In fact, I think the only times we got that were in the original mustafar duel and the Palpatine arrest set. I guess its hard to come up with a set that he doesn't have either of those two faces considering his remaining scenes in ROTS are mostly dialogue, but with them doing more Clone Wars sets like they did with his starfighter a couple years ago (which he didn't even use the headset with in the first place...) I'd like to see a normal Anakin Skywalker face.

The one in Duel on Mustafar, which came out just in January, has a regular face on one side and Sith eyes on the other. 

31 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The one in Duel on Mustafar, which came out just in January, has a regular face on one side and Sith eyes on the other. 

Good catch, I know the eta-2 starfighter with the platforms has his "normal" face as this creepy angry one with sunken eyes, and then of course the sith face. The one in the 2020 duel on mustafar is more of a neutral expression, I hadn't noticed that before and will probably buy either the figure or the set now.

From what I've seen (and granted, I haven't been in a store that sells LEGO in about 4 weeks now), a lot of stores still can't keep some of the sets on the shelves.  I've yet to see the Mandalorian BP (I found it at Kohl's after Christmas in the US, haven't seen it since), for some reason both Ben's Hut and Luke's Landspeeder have been really tough to find around me, I've seen the X-Wing and TIE, and most of the stores around me have had the Mustafar set in stock, but my guess is that if the sets as a whole are selling well enough right now, no need to discount them yet.  I'm sure by the time the summer wave rolls around we'll definitely see some markdowns at Target/Walmart-type stores, at least in the United States, where that's been somewhat common the past few years.

And this is evidence that despite it seeming weird, lego knows what sells. I guess kids want their landspeeders. I think that like you say, we'll see discounts on at least the starfighters come summer, probably small ones on the smaller sets too. (Exculding the mandalorian pack, between that and the 501st set lego's going to weather this pandemic just fine :head_back:.)

Seriously, they should let us pre-order that 501st set.

In regards to the Anakin figure, the only issue with the Mustafar figure is that his clothes are burned/tattered, so the best thing to do is just take the head from that figure and put it onto the figure from the 2018 Anakin's Starfighter or the one that's to be released this summer.  

And I agree about us not having a normal Anakin figure, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a set that's Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku on board the Invisible Hand yet, it's got all the hallmarks of a duel set (good figure selection, a collapsible balcony section, probably could be done for $60 or less), but that's another discussion altogether.

8 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

Speaking of the TIE dagger and overpriced sets, why haven't the winter wave sets gone on sale? The last few waves went on sale as soon as they hit store shelves, but we're three months into 2020 and I haven't seen a single discount on the winter sets.

The TROS January wave sets were on discount as soon as they were available on 19 December here in Australia. At the moment all the major retailers are discounting all Lego until the end of April anyway.

The TIE Dagger I don’t think will feel as overpriced compared to the Soulless One. Perhaps a better metric than PPP or weight would be volume. It’s a flatter star fighter so will take up less space. $80USD is excessive for something that not massive and will be even more ridiculous if it’s greater than $110AUD. Almost as bad as the $60 Snowspeeder from last year.

I've barely even seen the January TROS sets in stores. Four months into the year and only two retailers are even selling the X-Wing and TIE Dagger. Not only that but the initial Force Friday wave only lasted about 3 months in stores and hasn't been restocked since.