MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, ArrowBricks said:

Was discussed at length a while back but the leakers have implied that it isn’t him unfortunately.

Ok, thanks.

As for the discussion about the looks of the new 501st clones, I think the reason for certain inaccuracies might be that the clones are based on the TCW-animation series rather than the movies. Especially the torso printing resembles TCW-style. Luckily the helmets do have that black forehead ban on them. And I am personally just super happy we got them, I am going to get several, though going to do personal updates for the belt issue etc.

- Samppu

22 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

1. 75282, 75285 and 75987 have been cancelled. 75289 and 75290 were never mentioned as sets that are coming out this year, they actually haven't been mentioned at all.

2. We are not sure if the Wall Art set (31200) is Darth Maul or Darth Vader. Two reliable leakers/sites say different things (Vader has a more reliable site backing it up). The price is confirmed to be 120€. Also, it's coming in August (1st or 3rd).

Yes, those three were 'cancelled', but it certainly doesn't mean those numbers can't be reused or reassigned to an exclusive or individual release. To my understanding, one of the two latter numbers is the 2HY D2C. 

15 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

If that was so, the “501st battlepack” wouldn’t have a good price etc. 

I guess this is an opinion thing too but I personally don't think this is a good price / worth $30. On paper with PPR it may look good but a ton of those pieces are really small and for it to be worth $30 it really should've been a 2-in-1 battlepack with 8 figures imo. Though I guess the fact that I'm not a huge 501st fan also lessens the value for me (and yes, I know Star Wars sets being more expensive than they should be happens all the time). I will personally pick this up a few months down the line on sale. I only want the Clones, the rest I honestly don't care about

10 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I tend to agree. It's technically right, but going for that level of accuracy only emphasizes how wrong the proportions on a minifig are. They had white hips on clones more recently than that (albeit not much), in the original AT-AP in 2007, and I think those look better than these recent ones because they don't have so much printing on them, so it doesn't produce such a seam. The biggest problem with these clones IMO is how the plain hip interrupts the belt and everything. With the black it looked like a continuation of the belt or something, but now it's just a gap. If they'd printed the bottom of the belt onto the hips, like they did with the stormtroopers in Imperial Inspection, it might work better, but it's like running Minecraft with a 4K texture pack--painting loads of detail on doesn't help anybody since the underlying shape is still just a box. The stylized look with less dense, literal detailing is always going to age better.

That said, I love the set and will be getting several.

I like the Minecraft simile here, it's a good example of what's going on. The white is more accurate, but it just looks off because lego minifigures themselves aren't perfectly human shaped.

38 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Piece counts for the august/september sets:

Anakin's Jedi Interceptor - $30 - 248 pieces

AAT - $40 - 286 pieces

I'm thinking this right here is great for increasing the popularity of the 501st set and nothing else, at least among children. Children tend to be A: broke and B: (as with many adults) Primarily want figures and (unlike adults) Playable vehicles with features like stud shooters. So between a set with anakin, r2, MAYBE another figure and his interceptor, or a set with more parts, 4 501st, 2 vehicles, and 2 droids, 99% of children are going to pick the 501st set. When you factor in us collectors and AFOLS, the 501st set will be selling very well, and the interceptor probably won't.

22 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Or it has something to do with that little Disney logo on the box

Note that is has literally 1 more part than the 501st set, but is $10 more. I don't think it's disney, but I am scratching my head here.

36 minutes ago, scrapper142valk said:

Dunno how to remove that^

I see @Guyon2002 beat me to posting the piece counts. However, I was working on a full list, so here y'all go:

LEGO Star Wars Spring/Summer 2020 Sets List

SPRING - April 19
75274 $60 TIE Pilot Helmet (724 pcs)
75276 $60 Stormtrooper Helmet (647 pcs)
75277 $60 Boba Fett Helmet (625 pcs)
75278 $70 D-0 (519 pcs)

May 4
75275 $200 UCS A-Wing

SUMMER - August 1
75280 $30 501st Legion Clone Troopers (285 pcs)
75281 $30 Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor (248 pcs, will probably just include Anakin and R2)
75283 $40 AAT (286 pcs, blue version)
75284 $70 Night Buzzard (595 pcs; 2 Knights of Ren, Rey)
75286 $80 Grievous Starfighter (487 pcs; Tan Grievous, Obi-Wan, & Orange Clone Trooper)
75288 $160 AT-AT (6 minifigures)
75317 $20 Mandalorian & The Child Brickheadz

September 1
75292 $130 Razor Crest (1,023 pcs)
75279 $40 Advent Calendar (311 pcs; Jolly Darth Vader)

Unknown Release Date
31200 $100-150 Darth Maul Mosaic
75282, 75285, 75287, 75289, 75290 Unknown (maybe August)
75291 ~$100 MDP/Retail Exclusive (775 pcs)

Do we have any idea what 75291 was it going to be? Also are we expecting a second UCS?  Personally I hope if we do get a second UCS it’s going to be a play set like Cloud City or the Death Star.  

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I guess this is an opinion thing too but I personally don't think this is a good price / worth $30. On paper with PPR it may look good but a ton of those pieces are really small and for it to be worth $30 it really should've been a 2-in-1 battlepack with 8 figures imo. Though I guess the fact that I'm not a huge 501st fan also lessens the value for me (and yes, I know Star Wars sets being more expensive than they should be happens all the time). I will personally pick this up a few months down the line on sale. I only want the Clones, the rest I honestly don't care about

It's technically a B1 and 501st BP lol

28 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

1. 75282, 75285 and 75987 have been cancelled. 75289 and 75290 were never mentioned as sets that are coming out this year, they actually haven't been mentioned at all.

2. We are not sure if the Wall Art set (31200) is Darth Maul or Darth Vader. Two reliable leakers/sites say different things (Vader has a more reliable site backing it up). The price is confirmed to be 120€. Also, it's coming in August (1st or 3rd).

Ah okay, thanks for the update.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm thinking this right here is great for increasing the popularity of the 501st set and nothing else, at least among children. Children tend to be A: broke and B: (as with many adults) Primarily want figures and (unlike adults) Playable vehicles with features like stud shooters. So between a set with anakin, r2, MAYBE another figure and his interceptor, or a set with more parts, 4 501st, 2 vehicles, and 2 droids, 99% of children are going to pick the 501st set. When you factor in us collectors and AFOLS, the 501st set will be selling very well, and the interceptor probably won't.

Also because TLG is making way too many 'Anakin's Interceptor's and 'Anakin's Jedi Starfighter's lmao

Just now, scrapper142valk said:

Also because TLG is making way too many 'Anakin's Interceptor's and 'Anakin's Jedi Starfighter's lmao

hence some older fans like me won't get it unless they throw in some exclusive third figure. (even then it'd have to be rex or ahsoka for me to pick it up)

2 minutes ago, scrapper142valk said:

It's technically a B1 and 501st BP lol

That's my point. It's supposed to be a 2-in-1 battlepack but instead of it being exactly that they just remove 2 figures and charge us the same price. They should've just included 2 more CIS figures, I wouldn't even care if they were B1's

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

hence some older fans like me won't get it unless they throw in some exclusive third figure. (even then it'd have to be rex or ahsoka for me to pick it up)

I think one of those two might come in the AAT. I personally think it'll be either Ahsoka or neither of them, but that's just me.

17 minutes ago, Samppu said:

I think the reason for certain inaccuracies might be that the clones are based on the TCW-animation series rather than the movies. Especially the torso printing resembles TCW-style.

Absolutely. I think it's regrettable that Lego based them on the slightly caricature-like TCW version again. I was very happy when Lego (and the other manufacturers of collectibles and replicas) switched to using the movie armor for TCW characters.

That's my point. It's supposed to be a 2-in-1 battlepack but instead of it being exactly that they just remove 2 figures and charge us the same price. They should've just included 2 more CIS figures, I wouldn't even care if they were B1's

Ah okay. Technically they no longer count B1s as minifigures and so they technically wouldn't be in a "battlepack"

Just now, Graupensuppe said:

Absolutely. I think it's regrettable that Lego based them on the slightly caricature-like TCW version again. I was very happy when Lego (and the other manufacturers of collectibles and replicas) switched to using the movie armor for TCW characters.

I actually liked the TCW faces, as they were pretty accurate to the show imo. The new 501st armor is a mix of both animated and realistic armor, and that may be why it looks bad.

Ah okay. Technically they no longer count B1s as minifigures and so they technically wouldn't be in a "battlepack"

Pretty sure they never counted B1's as minifigures, they are a seperate thing like minidolls and baby's

Pretty sure they never counted B1's as minifigures, they are a seperate thing like minidolls and baby's

Ah okay.

Do you guys think we'll ever get a SW CMF now that whatever deal was negotiated or something

Ah okay.

Do you guys think we'll ever get a SW CMF now that whatever deal was negotiated or something

I wouldn't count on it, especially considering we ''outsiders'' don't know the specifics of the new Disney/Hasbro deal

4 minutes ago, scrapper142valk said:

I actually liked the TCW faces, as they were pretty accurate to the show imo. The new 501st armor is a mix of both animated and realistic armor, and that may be why it looks bad.

I don’t understand why people think it looks bad. It looks very good and very accurate. It just needs arm printing

40 minutes ago, Samppu said:

Could there be any chance that this "orange clone trooper" was Commander Cody?

- Samppu

If captain Rex was in the 501st battlepack, then maybe you could have a little hope of it being Commander Cody, but since we only get generic 501st troopers in the BP, you can be 100% sure the clone trooper in Soulless One is a 212th trooper. :sad:

4 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t understand why people think it looks bad. It looks very good and very accurate. It just needs arm printing

I think it they look perfect, it's the builds I have issues with

33 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Note that is has literally 1 more part than the 501st set, but is $10 more. I don't think it's disney, but I am scratching my head here.

It’s really simple - a BARC Speeder and AT-RT use smaller pieces on average than an AAT would.

$/pc is a shitty metric for value, it’s too inconsistent.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

The Soulless One is a mystery. Perhaps it has Boga because I don’t see how the price matches up at all. It’s not like Lego have marked up previous versions of this set before.

There's no Boga, a blurry image of the boxart leaked a while back and it was just the ship.

49 minutes ago, Renown said:

Yes, those three were 'cancelled', but it certainly doesn't mean those numbers can't be reused or reassigned to an exclusive or individual release. To my understanding, one of the two latter numbers is the 2HY D2C. 

New sets don't reuse set numbers from cancelled sets. Remember some cancelled buildable figures from a few years back? Even their images leaked, but they didn't see the light of the day, same as set numbers. Lego just skips set numbers sometimes.

We have no idea what's second D2C's set number, so for now we can even speculate that it might be 75300. There's literally no info on this D2C.

Just now, BigGuy4U said:

There's no Boga, a blurry image of the boxart leaked a while back and it was just the ship.

Lego sometimes, especially with starships, doesn't put all the content on the front box art. For example this year's X-Wing - the box art only includes X-Wing with R2-D2 and Poe, but there also was a little ladder side build and 2 more minfigures. There could be more to this set.

1 hour ago, Renown said:

Yes, those three were 'cancelled', but it certainly doesn't mean those numbers can't be reused or reassigned to an exclusive or individual release. 

Once a set number is assigned, it sticks with that set whether it's released or not. There are skipped numbers most every year, and only on one or two occasions have they shown up in a subsequent year (the UCS Snowsoeeder is the only example I can think of, which was delayed from one year to the next... but there may be others).

The three sets which some retailers listed as "cancelled" may show up next year, or not at all. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems like this is going to be a really strong year with the mandalorian and Clonewars sets :) Do we have any Information, if the AAT will be classic tan? Any chances we will see a (non-ucs) Gunship in the close future?

Edited by Gorilla94

44 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

You're probably right, but a flying Boga in space wouldn't look great. 

Just now, Gorilla94 said:

It seems like this is going to be a really strong year with the mandalorian and Clonewars sets :) Do we have any Information, if the AAT will be classic tan? 

It’s confirmed to be blue