MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You are incorrect. We need dexter jettser's bust, or a UCS gonk droid, or the super-mega-ultra-501st battle pack.

I would definitely buy a ucs gonk droid that is in scale with ucs r2 hah.  Awing not so much.

Edited by lego the hutt

I like the busts/helmets as exclusives (either con or shared con/store). 

They are neat builds with no exclusive parts/printed pieces so even if you can't get them because the number produced is limited you can brick link them later easily enough.  The box being the only thing that is actually "exclusive".

Similar to how they used to do the little diorama /micro build type of sets as con exclusives very frequently.  Now they have transitioned those to being "free with purchase" sets like 40362, 40333 etc.

It becomes a slippery slope.  So now we are starting to see these type of sets in a normal wave.  (No figs, 0 or very limited printed/exclusive parts, a lot of tiny pieces).  They are cheap to make so it makes sense from TLGs point of view.  Is that what the consumers want from a standard wave?  Judging by the comments I'm unsure.  We will see how they sell.  For me these are something I will pick up if I find them at a deep discount but I could take them or leave them.  

I have picked up con exclusives in the past and even if they aren't large or detailed builds I still like them because they are a souvenir/memory from the con I attended.  At least the helmets are slightly larger than the average con exclusive.  They do seem to have a lot of tiny pieces that inflates the piece count a bit though.

I like the theory of them.  Like brickheads or Star Wars constraction figures they are a new, creative line of sets.  New and unusual is good.  I can't fault TLG for trying something new.  Maybe these will be more popular than I think?  

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Though here's where the UCS sets come in. I'm positive a lot of non-Lego fans, or casual Lego Star Wars fans love the UCS series. It's already a perfect subtheme for AFOLs young and old. Even if some don't like the minfigures (like you mentioned), then there isn't a focus on those, at least with most of them.

I like the PT more myself, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at seeing more OT sets. I think that the more recent Disney films (TLJ, Solo, ROS) have soured tastes overall in terms of both the franchise itself, and its merchandise. So, someone who doesn't exactly care for the ST might get annoyed at the overwhelming amount of sets dedicated to it (especially if said sets are overpriced or otherwise flawed), when other trilogies are more or less shafted. That said, the OT has got plenty of love in 2018, and the PT got some rehashed affection in 2019, but for many of us, we could use something new. Personally, while I'm tentatively excited about this new wave, the standout sets to me are the AT-RT/BARC and AAT. AT-AT depends on the size/figures, and that's about it.

To your first point, I agree, but these are also a much cheaper option for casual LSW fans/non-LEGO fans who love Star Wars or just want something pop culture-y to display on their desk.  If i'm not a hardcore fan, I'm probably not going to drop $150-200 on a large model, but $60-70 for a smaller size helmet model is a bit more realistic.  Hopefully if they sell well, they actually stick with it, because I think the line has potential, like you had mentioned.

To your second point, I agree that some waves have been more focused on other eras than others (and as someone who didn't particularly enjoy the sequels for the most part and has purchased a grand total of one sequel trilogy set, four years ago on clearance) there's been some disappointing waves for me, but even the largely sequel-centric waves have had some really cool stuff mixed in from the PT/OT in my opinion.  I think the disappointment a lot of people are feeling in regards to this wave is justified, but I don't think it's fair to say that every wave has in the last 2 years has been bad or whatever like I've seen on various sites or social media accounts, that's all.  

I'm really looking forward to a UCS A-Wing, and it will be a day-one buy as long as they don't bungle it.  I only see two issues:

1. I think it will end up looking like some of the great MOCs that already exist (Anio's comes to mind)

2. If it sells for 200 USD, which it surely will, it will likely be vastly overpriced.  Even with tiny greebles to inflate the parts count, I can't see this thing having more than 1600 pieces.   

EDIT: I generally couldn't care less about the helmets, but if they managed to design a Rebel pilot helmet with enough structural integrity to include a retractable translucent-orange visor, I would probably buy it.  

Edited by RogueTwo

On 3/11/2020 at 11:26 PM, jdubbs said:

I don't mind the look of the helmets, or even the existence of them. I do mind that an entire wave of sets has been (seemingly) displaced by them, in a year where the sets we are getting aren't exactly lighting the world on fire (with one or two exceptions). It's also hard to get excited about a new sub-line of "collectable" sets given LEGO's track record of supporting these in the past... Brickheadz, construction figs, etc. got left by the wayside within a few years. Will these be any different?

No rush my friend. We have many years ahead and with Lego releasing 3 waves per year there will be plenty of opportunity to empty our wallets time and time again. Or not if we dont like.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:08 AM, ARC2149Nova said:

Lego is really just banking on us to buy whatever they put out, which is insulting.

That may be the case but as long as people vote with their wallets Lego will eventually get the message. The only problem is that there are plenty of LSW fanboys out there that will buy just anything. Plus Lego is a multi billion company and they have no real copetition in their market.

33 minutes ago, legolandia said:

That may be the case but as long as people vote with their wallets Lego will eventually get the message. The only problem is that there are plenty of LSW fanboys out there that will buy just anything.

This cannot be overstated. Many will even buy what they don't want because "maybe we'll get X". That works with some things, but not everything. And Lego, for one, likes to play dumb. A lot.

On 3/9/2020 at 6:30 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Prices may vary at different retailers, but the RRP (recommended retail price) is $70.

Time will tell.

And so will press releases.

7 minutes ago, LEGOscum said:

Time will tell.

And so will press releases.

True. We don't know exactly what's happening until lego officially announces it.

For all we know, these could be $50, or (shudder) $100. Most likely it's what our reliable leakers have told us, but until lego officially gives a statement, we don't 100% know anything.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

True. We don't know exactly what's happening until lego officially announces it.

For all we know, these could be $50, or (shudder) $100. Most likely it's what our reliable leakers have told us, but until lego officially gives a statement, we don't 100% know anything.

I would submit that LEGOscum's post is a bit more pointed than that. And while LEGOscum is not a "leaker", he is among the most reliable sources of info on record. 

Edited by jdubbs

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I would submit that LEGOscum's post is a bit more pointed than that. And while LEGOscum is not a "leaker", he is among the most reliable sources of info on record. 

I wasn't saying he's unreliable, quite to the contrary, just that nothing is ever 100% confirmed until lego confirms it themselves. Especially now.

30 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wasn't saying he's unreliable, quite to the contrary, just that nothing is ever 100% confirmed until lego confirms it themselves. Especially now.

I think you're missing the point. But, whatever. 

19 hours ago, jdubbs said:

:head_back:

On 3/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, jdubbs said:

i still don't get it, I swear this virus panic is making me lose my mind. :wacko:

it's weird not having figures leak for this wave, I hope we see the TIE pilot soon, especially since the sets are what, a month away?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

i still don't get it, I swear this virus panic is making me lose my mind. :wacko:

it's weird not having figures leak for this wave, I hope we see the TIE pilot soon, especially since the sets are what, a month away?

I believe he's implying $70 for the busts, to be announced once the press release drops.  Please someone correct me if I too misinterpreted.

Advanced issue found

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I hope we see the TIE pilot soon, especially since the sets are what, a month away?

24 hours

11 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I believe he's implying $70 for the busts, to be announced once the press release drops.  Please someone correct me if I too misinterpreted.

In that case I was just overthinking it, I thought there was something else.

I can't qoute @LEGOscum's post for some reason, but I'm assuming you're referring too the TIE pilot leaking or a press release? I look forwards to seeing it!

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Landino just said all 3 helmets will be $60 on his story

Great, That's actually alot more reasonable than $70 when you consider the part count.

1 minute ago, Brother From Another Brick said:

A LEGO Star Wars mosaic is coming. It's set 31200. 

hmm. Hope it's something like the death star or falcon, and not just a character's face. Seems to me the helmets should be used for that purpose instead, since they can be 3-d.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

hmm. Hope it's something like the death star or falcon, and not just a character's face. Seems to me the helmets should be used for that purpose instead, since they can be 3-d.

Iron Man is also being represented as both a mosaic as well as a helmet/bust, so... :innocent:

I know it's unlikely because of how large the mosaic would have to be in order to accurately capture it, but the movie posters would be incredible.  A quick search looks like you could accurately do it at about 1/2 to 2/3rds the size of the real posters (24x36 inches), by removing the details at the bottom about the actors and cutting out some of the blank space at the top, which I guess isn't too terribly large, but I'd guess it'll either be a character or ship over the poster.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Iron Man is also being represented as both a mosaic as well as a helmet/bust, so... :innocent:

It might not happen, it's just what I'd personally hope for.
I also hope this helmet line continues, especially if they're only $60. Grievous, preatorian, royal guard, scout and snow troopers, p1 and p2 clones, rebel pilot helmet, vader, etc, would all make great helmets.

38 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I also hope this helmet line continues, especially if they're only $60. Grievous, preatorian, royal guard, scout and snow troopers, p1 and p2 clones, rebel pilot helmet, vader, etc, would all make great helmets.

Though I personally don't have any interest in these helmets and possible future sets I definetely agree this line has some great potential