MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

The negativity here is unreal. We’re finally getting something new and exciting and all anyone can do is complain. 5 years ago LEGO wouldn’t even have considered a line like this. I’ll take the unexpected over a normal system set any day, even if there are “glaring holes” in the movies (that’s why MOCs are a thing).

The price is absurd but these sets are not as bad as you are making them out to be. I challenge anyone to make a “better” stormtrooper helmet with then same amount of pieces. When these helmets first came to light I was expecting something like the Vader bust from last year, these have completely surpassed my expectations. I’m sure these will look great on display, just like the Yoda and Porg that everyone here hated. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the TIE Pilot, I think it’s an excellent choice. The helmet prop was made by combining a rebel pilot helmet and a stormtrooper helmet, so it shouldn’t be too hard to make the rebel helmet once we see the instructions.

I like the sets themselves, what I heavily dislike is the fact that it’s an entire wave devoid of system-scale sets :hmpf_bad: It‘s just unbalanced

I don't mind the look of the helmets, or even the existence of them. I do mind that an entire wave of sets has been (seemingly) displaced by them, in a year where the sets we are getting aren't exactly lighting the world on fire (with one or two exceptions). It's also hard to get excited about a new sub-line of "collectable" sets given LEGO's track record of supporting these in the past... Brickheadz, construction figs, etc. got left by the wayside within a few years. Will these be any different?

And, MOCs are great and wonderful. But MOCs aren’t going to get us Aunt Beru, or Saw Guerrera, or the 25 Padme figs we’re missing. 

20 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It's also hard to get excited about a new sub-line of "collectable" sets given LEGO's track record of supporting these in the past... Brickheadz, construction figs, etc. got left by the wayside within a few years. Will these be any different?

This. How do people not get this? It's almost as if people expect Lego to receive nothing but praise. Good sets these may be, but come on, were they needed? Were they even wanted? Most of us would agree that we never asked or needed this, but somehow everyone's expected to love it unconditionally? If you like them, good. Forgive me if some of us don't share the same sentiment. And as you mentioned, some of us had high hopes for the CCBS line (myself included), but look how that ended. At least Brickheadz are still a thing...

36 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The negativity here is unreal. We’re finally getting something new and exciting and all anyone can do is complain. 5 years ago LEGO wouldn’t even have considered a line like this. I’ll take the unexpected over a normal system set any day, even if there are “glaring holes” in the movies (that’s why MOCs are a thing).

The price is absurd but these sets are not as bad as you are making them out to be. I challenge anyone to make a “better” stormtrooper helmet with then same amount of pieces. When these helmets first came to light I was expecting something like the Vader bust from last year, these have completely surpassed my expectations. I’m sure these will look great on display, just like the Yoda and Porg that everyone here hated. 

Giving a company unconditional praise for whatever they stick to the wall is absurd, and expecting an entire community to love everything said company does is equally absurd. As the old saying goes, you can not please everyone, and that's fine. Without "negativity" or sometimes valid criticism, Lego will just get lazy. I for one don't mind the existence of the helmets, but a whole subseries? Taking up more space from actual system sets? Lego is really just banking on us to buy whatever they put out, which is insulting.

Also, most of us have warmed up to the Stormtrooper, so I feel your challenge is too late. However, with that said, if they really wanted to knock this out of the park, then a better helmet for a higher price point would've been palatable. But as it is, it'll do the job. Enjoy the helmets if you like them, no one is robbing you of that, but people are seriously starting to defend Lego like somehow not liking everything they do is a crime. :hmpf_bad:

Now, as for the TIE Pilot, is it really a bust and not a helmet? If it's a bust like Vader and Sith Trooper it'd be out of place among the helmets, but as a helmet, it makes sense for a third offering. And any hints as to May's UCS?

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

it seems like LEGO just doesn't have a firm grasp of what AFOLs actually want. Specifically: Larger sets, with more detail, that are more movie-accurate, that haven't been done before (or haven't been done in a long, long time). Minifigures that were passed over, and minifigs with more detailed printing... leg printing, arm printing, new molds, etc.

There are gaping holes in all three trilogies now (not to mention the two anthology films and all three animated series) that LEGO seems hell-bent on leaving unfilled. I just don't get why LEGO thinks that AFOLs would rather have helmets and statues over some of these things. 

Exactly, if you summarize all comments (praises and complaints) this is what the majority of internet forum AFOLS express, if thats representative of all AFOLs, no idea, but I would at least think that it's a considerable amount of all AFOLs percieve this to be the case, enough for TLG to rethink what they are giving us. 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

First OT movie came out 43 years ago so if person that saw it had 17,he is 60 now(if even alive),and most likely retired from work.How big is a market of still working in office 60 year olds that watched OT and that would buy LEGO sets cause of nostalgia and that bring toys to work to put them on table?

@Markalus brings a few excellent points to this, which I'll repeat. 

1. Why would you have to be 17 to watch ANH? Most people I know saw it as kids, and are definitely still working age.

2. I'm not sure how it is in Croatia, but there are a MASSIVE amount of americans that are 60 or above. I believe about 1/5th of the population. And life expectancy is well over 60, so I'm not sure where this "if even alive" came from.

3. I'm not sure where you work, but it's commonplace for lots of people with desk jobs to put display pieces like these on their tables. 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

And i love harry potter but i love non ot star wars more by a longshot and woudl rather have it on my shelfs.

4. (in relation to your quote above). The majority of SW fans like the OT the most, and it's generally been the most well received. (the prequels having massive problems with dialogue, acting, visual effects, etc, and the sequels having their plot problems and...whatever canto bight was). Therefore, these sets have appeal to the majority of star wars fans, instead of a FO stormtrooper or a P2 clone.

My point is, the way the demographics work out, you can easily tell who lego is trying to target here. It's apparently not you, but the 4+ sets aren't targeting you either. And as I've mentioned, we had a wave of no system-scale sets back in 2018. In fact, it's a similar situation, except the april and "summer" waves are swapped. 2018 only had 2 system scale waves, same is this year. We're not getting "robbed" a wave of sets, it's the same as people who don't like brickheadz that year, or (besides the AT-AT) people who don't like the PT this summer. People who hate the sequels probably didn't like those 3 waves of sequel-only sets, and those who disliked rogue one probably weren't happy with that wave.  There's a difference between personally not liking something, like , or deciding that the existence of these sets are terrible. As @ARC2149Nova says, lego can't make sets that appeal to everyone. To me, it sounds like this year is pretty diverse. Wave with representation from all three trilogies, but having mainly sequel sets and smaller play-focused sets in january, OT-focused wave aimed at adults in april, PT focused wave that has both a clone army builder and multiple other TCW sets, but also another AT-AT and the Night Buzzard, so once again representation from all trilogies. We even have more Mando sets coming!

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

First OT movie came out 43 years ago so if person that saw it had 17,he is 60 now(if even alive),and most likely retired from work.How big is a market of still working in office 60 year olds that watched OT and that would buy LEGO sets cause of nostalgia and that bring toys to work to put them on table?

Sorry dude, but have to ask by curiosity, do people in Croatia retire before 60 and does most people not see their 60th birthday? Sorry but it sound unbelievable.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

My point is, the way the demographics work out, you can easily tell who lego is trying to target here. It's apparently not you, but the 4+ sets aren't targeting you either. And as I've mentioned, we had a wave of no system-scale sets back in 2018. In fact, it's a similar situation, except the april and "summer" waves are swapped. 2018 only had 2 system scale waves, same is this year. We're not getting "robbed" a wave of sets, it's the same as people who don't like brickheadz that year, or (besides the AT-AT) people who don't like the PT this summer. People who hate the sequels probably didn't like those 3 waves of sequel-only sets, and those who disliked rogue one probably weren't happy with that wave.  There's a difference between personally not liking something, like , or deciding that the existence of these sets are terrible.

Funny enough, a lot of the 4+ sets are actually pretty useful figure wise, (Scout Trooper, Rebel Trooper, Wedge) even if the builds are chibi and simplified. Did we really have a non-system wave in 2018? Looking through Brickset the only sets out of place are the CCBS ones. We actually got a winter, april, and summer wave. We just didn't have a fall wave because Solo came out in May. Also, I think many OT fans would've snagged a few Rogue One sets regardless of their opinion on the movie (an excellent AT-ST and Y-Wing, not to mention that Stormtrooper Battle Pack with OT helmets).

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

and...whatever canto bight was).

LOL

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And as I've mentioned, we had a wave of no system-scale sets back in 2018. In fact, it's a similar situation, except the april and "summer" waves are swapped. 2018 only had 2 system scale waves, same is this year. We're not getting "robbed" a wave of sets, it's the same as people who don't like brickheadz that year, or (besides the AT-AT) people who don't like the PT this summer.

While I generally agree with the rest of your post, this is not accurate. 2018 had three system scale waves (January, April, August) plus various exclusives, advent, D2Cs, etc.. On the other hand, 2020 is on track to have two system scale waves (January, August) plus exclusives, advent, D2Cs, etc. So, unless there is some kind of "Winter Surprise", we will be down 6-8 system sets versus the last five years or so. 

6 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The helmets are ostensibly aimed at AFOLs (or rather, the people LEGO considers to be AFOLs, which aren't necessarily the same people you might consider to be AFOLs). So, I would expect to see OT helmets dominate the lineup, to start. If the line sells reasonably well (a big "if") and LEGO actually manages to support it more than a year or two (another big "if"), I think you would start to see more PT helmets mixed in.

I have to say, while I think the helmets look fine, I am frustrated that this is how LEGO thinks they are servicing the AFOL community. Coming off the much younger-skewing sets of 2019 (action battle sets, 4+/Juniors sets, etc.), and hearing all the talk that LEGO made to retailers about recognizing the importance of AFOLs, underestimating their share of the market, etc., it seems like LEGO just doesn't have a firm grasp of what AFOLs actually want. Specifically: Larger sets, with more detail, that are more movie-accurate, that haven't been done before (or haven't been done in a long, long time). Minifigures that were passed over, and minifigs with more detailed printing... leg printing, arm printing, new molds, etc.

There are gaping holes in all three trilogies now (not to mention the two anthology films and all three animated series) that LEGO seems hell-bent on leaving unfilled. I just don't get why LEGO thinks that AFOLs would rather have helmets and statues over some of these things. 

This is a cracking post to be honest. Sums up how I’ve been feeling for a while. 

I for one like the helmets. I’ve hated planet sets, action battle sets etc but these look solid. 

The problem is though that whilst the OT are the best films according to some there are plenty of people who grew up with the prequels/Clone Wars and its what made them fall in love with Star Wars. 

I also hate this perception that to be an AFOL you need to like the OT the most. People are growing up and those who were first exposed to Star Wars through the prequels are in their 20+ years now and thus are also AFOL’S hence why the hell not in having helmets based on prequel characters (Clone Trooper, Grievous, Battle Droid). 

Lego needs to hit the reset button and start focusing on figures/ships/vehicles we have never gotten before from the films. I for one would accept a Winter wave that’s OT heavy if I felt I got some new sets based on the prequels in the summer of vice versa. I also don’t mind the rehash of sets (Naboo Starfighter etc) aslong as they were accompanied with new or much needs re-releases of sets from that film also.

They can even throw in 1/2 sets per year from the other films(sequel,solo etc)/shows/games to spice it up just like they did with the Old Republic sets.

Edited by ArrowBricks

Just my opinion but a lot of Star Wars fans also collect all kinds of Star Wars items besides Lego -  props, figures, statues, maquettes, 1:1 helmets, light sabers, etc in addition to Star Wars Lego.There is actually a lot of cross over. I bet a lot of AFOLs that also dabble in collecting other Star Wars items are very happy about the helmets. If you ONLY collect Lego then I can understand it may be out of left field. 

44 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Funny enough, a lot of the 4+ sets are actually pretty useful figure wise, (Scout Trooper, Rebel Trooper, Wedge) even if the builds are chibi and simplified. Did we really have a non-system wave in 2018? Looking through Brickset the only sets out of place are the CCBS ones. We actually got a winter, april, and summer wave. We just didn't have a fall wave because Solo came out in May. Also, I think many OT fans would've snagged a few Rogue One sets regardless of their opinion on the movie (an excellent AT-ST and Y-Wing, not to mention that Stormtrooper Battle Pack with OT helmets).

Yup, we did, i forgot the august wave. And i was meaning more the first rogue one wave, although you bring up a good point about that at-st. (I also can't imagine many people disliked rogue one, it was more meant to explain that depending on your opinion not every wave will appeal to you.)

43 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

LOL

While I generally agree with the rest of your post, this is not accurate. 2018 had three system scale waves (January, April, August) plus various exclusives, advent, D2Cs, etc.. On the other hand, 2020 is on track to have two system scale waves (January, August) plus exclusives, advent, D2Cs, etc. So, unless there is some kind of "Winter Surprise", we will be down 6-8 system sets versus the last five years or so. 

oops, forgot about that. I thought we only had solo, january, and the wave of brickheadz that came out about the same time as cloud city and the porg. Surprised I forgot, that x-wing was my favorite set in recent memory (helmets aside). That is disappointing then.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

And, MOCs are great and wonderful. But MOCs aren’t going to get us Aunt Beru, or Saw Guerrera, or the 25 Padme figs we’re missing. 

Well, I still stand with my previous statements that we will see most of these figures that we want so badly in the Skywalker Saga video game because they typically base the in game models of of the irl version.

Just now, LegoStarWarsFan777 said:

Well, I still stand with my previous statements that we will see most of these figures that we want so badly in the Skywalker Saga video game because they typically base the in game models of of the irl version.

Getting them in a game is nowhere near the same as getting them IRL. There are plenty of figures from the original 2000s games that still haven’t been released.

Just now, ARC2149Nova said:

So, do we have any idea what the UCS is? Could it be something ESB related?

Still no clue. Fingers crossed for the 10,000 piece Jar Jar bust.

39 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Still no clue. Fingers crossed for the 10,000 piece Jar Jar bust.

You are incorrect. We need dexter jettser's bust, or a UCS gonk droid, or the super-mega-ultra-501st battle pack.

45 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So, do we have any idea what the UCS is? Could it be something ESB related?

For the last three years, the thing that got the most discussion is the thing that actually ended up being released. Happened with the Falcon, Cloud City, Y-Wing, Snowspeeder, Star Destroyer, etc. Take that for whatever it's worth.... a living example of "where there's smoke, there's fire."

Edited by jdubbs

Just now, jdubbs said:

For the last three years, the thing that got the most discussion is the thing that actually ended up being released. Happened with the Falcon, Cloud City, Y-Wing, Snowspeeder, Star Destroyer, etc. Take that for whatever it's worth.... a living example of "where there's smoke, there's fire."

So... A-Wing?:purrr:

I guess we'll see in a month.

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I partially agree but I also see where the disappointment is coming from.  There are some people complaining every wave in the last couple of years has been bad, and that to me is the type of person that LEGO is never going to please.  I mean, they've literally covered every era (not counting anthology films) in the past 3 years, so there should at least SOMETHING appealing to every type of fan in there.  Yes, the focus is on re-hashed OT stuff, but those are unquestionably the most popular SW films and anyone that says otherwise is ignoring a pretty common opinion.  I am not saying it's wrong to like the PT or ST more than the OT, I'm just saying that the OT is pretty clearly the most popular trilogy of the three.  So I'm not totally sure what LEGO could do exactly to please a certain percentage of the fanbase.

However, a lot of people are a bit upset that this isn't a traditional wave, and that perspective i understand.  I like the idea of the helmets, though the price is a bit much in my opinion, but historically, when LEGO gives us busts/mega builds, they'll put them in a wave with some minifigure scale sets.  This wave doesn't have much appeal to kids, and to older fans that prefer minifigure scale ships or models, it doesn't have much appeal either.  I do think that the helmets could sell decently well, especially since most people seem to be fairly positive on at least one of them, but how many average fans are going to shell out $60-70 on a helmet build when that same amount of money could go towards an X-Wing (currently priced at $63 at my local Target store)?  

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You are incorrect. We need dexter jettser's bust, or a UCS gonk droid, or the super-mega-ultra-501st battle pack.

I stand corrected. Gonk Droid in May, Jar Jar and Dex double pack in September. 

As someone in the 40-50 age bracket I quite like the helmet sets and looking forward to seeing the Tie pilot too, in my mind a very classic design. IMO if you’re going to start any new Star Wars theme aimed at adults you’d start with the original trilogy.

also a lot of people I work with (ranging from mid-20s to 50s) are I to Lego but not massively like us on this forum and they would definitely buy this sort of thing as to them a minifig is a childish thing (not me I love the little people).

I’m loving the razors crest model ... just need Disney+ to start here in a couple of weeks time

10 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So... A-Wing?:purrr:

I guess we'll see in a month.

:thumbup:

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

As someone in the 40-50 age bracket I quite like the helmet sets and looking forward to seeing the Tie pilot too, in my mind a very classic design. IMO if you’re going to start any new Star Wars theme aimed at adults you’d start with the original trilogy.

also a lot of people I work with (ranging from mid-20s to 50s) are I to Lego but not massively like us on this forum and they would definitely buy this sort of thing as to them a minifig is a childish thing (not me I love the little people).

Though here's where the UCS sets come in. I'm positive a lot of non-Lego fans, or casual Lego Star Wars fans love the UCS series. It's already a perfect subtheme for AFOLs young and old. Even if some don't like the minfigures (like you mentioned), then there isn't a focus on those, at least with most of them.

But, I hope these do well enough that we see Scout Troopers, Rebels (Pilots need extra bricks for insignias), Clones (extra bricks for legions), and more. It'll be all worth it in the end if Lego doesn't abandon these after launch.

29 minutes ago, cavegod said:

:thumbup:

*oh2*

So it begins...

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I partially agree but I also see where the disappointment is coming from.  There are some people complaining every wave in the last couple of years has been bad, and that to me is the type of person that LEGO is never going to please.  I mean, they've literally covered every era (not counting anthology films) in the past 3 years, so there should at least SOMETHING appealing to every type of fan in there.  Yes, the focus is on re-hashed OT stuff, but those are unquestionably the most popular SW films and anyone that says otherwise is ignoring a pretty common opinion.  I am not saying it's wrong to like the PT or ST more than the OT, I'm just saying that the OT is pretty clearly the most popular trilogy of the three.  So I'm not totally sure what LEGO could do exactly to please a certain percentage of the fanbase.

I like the PT more myself, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at seeing more OT sets. I think that the more recent Disney films (TLJ, Solo, ROS) have soured tastes overall in terms of both the franchise itself, and its merchandise. So, someone who doesn't exactly care for the ST might get annoyed at the overwhelming amount of sets dedicated to it (especially if said sets are overpriced or otherwise flawed), when other trilogies are more or less shafted. That said, the OT has got plenty of love in 2018, and the PT got some rehashed affection in 2019, but for many of us, we could use something new. Personally, while I'm tentatively excited about this new wave, the standout sets to me are the AT-RT/BARC and AAT. AT-AT depends on the size/figures, and that's about it.

Anyway, I do agree that it's pretty flawed to expect Lego to ignore Star Wars' principal trilogy. That said, with the sequels over, I hope that going forward we get more unique and interesting sets from the OT and PT.