MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Exactly my thoughts. January wave did appeal to me a little, therefore 3 sets I bought - Mustafar duel, Mandalorian BP and Sith Trooper BP. The rest were either remakes, overpriced or unappealing. April wave and August wave... yikes. Not a single set that interests me.

I actually think the august wave is pretty good. I'm excited for the Razor Crest and Night Buzzard (though I might wait for a discount for the NB), the other sets I might buy but that completely depends on the minifigures. 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I actually think the august wave is pretty good. I'm excited for the Razor Crest and Night Buzzard (though I might wait for a discount for the NB), the other sets I might buy but that completely depends on the minifigures. 

I know you meant the April wave, but I am pretty disappointed with the August wave too. BARC Speeder sounds good, but I am not interested in Clone army builder. Another Jedi Interceptor. If AAT includes a cool Jedi, it would be ok (it probably won't tho). Night Buzzard is okay, but it doesn't interest me. Grevious' Starfighter is overpriced as hell. AT-AT is okay, but I don't have that money right now (Marvel and Harry Potter are taking my main budget). 

The thing is, this wave doesn't sound bad - it just doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

I find it a odd choice of lego to make a tie fighter pilot instead of someone recognizable such as a clone trooper, Kylo Ren’s helmet,  Praetorian Guard, Grevious, or some droid.

Ya know, Lego are making 3 busts. I think it would’ve made more sense to be busts Representing one character of the three trilogys.

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

I find it a odd choice of lego to make a tie fighter pilot instead of someone recognizable such as a clone trooper, Kylo Ren’s helmet,  Praetorian Guard, Grevious, or some droid.

Ya know, Lego are making 3 busts. I think it would’ve made more sense to be busts Representing one character of the three trilogys.

I haven't thought about Grevious, it's such a wonderful idea for a helmet set. Droid heads would work too, I hope they don't stick to helmets only. Probably the only helmets I would buy would be Kylo Ren and Grevious.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Lego are making 3 busts. I think it would’ve made more sense to be busts Representing one character of the three trilogys.

I agree.

I'm going to wait until there's a Clone Trooper or another good prequel character before buying any of these helmets.

11 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

These choices make sense when you take the 40th anniversary of ESB in consideration.

Also, what is it with people misspelling Grievous as Grevious all of a sudden? :laugh_hard:

The helmets are ostensibly aimed at AFOLs (or rather, the people LEGO considers to be AFOLs, which aren't necessarily the same people you might consider to be AFOLs). So, I would expect to see OT helmets dominate the lineup, to start. If the line sells reasonably well (a big "if") and LEGO actually manages to support it more than a year or two (another big "if"), I think you would start to see more PT helmets mixed in.

I have to say, while I think the helmets look fine, I am frustrated that this is how LEGO thinks they are servicing the AFOL community. Coming off the much younger-skewing sets of 2019 (action battle sets, 4+/Juniors sets, etc.), and hearing all the talk that LEGO made to retailers about recognizing the importance of AFOLs, underestimating their share of the market, etc., it seems like LEGO just doesn't have a firm grasp of what AFOLs actually want. Specifically: Larger sets, with more detail, that are more movie-accurate, that haven't been done before (or haven't been done in a long, long time). Minifigures that were passed over, and minifigs with more detailed printing... leg printing, arm printing, new molds, etc.

There are gaping holes in all three trilogies now (not to mention the two anthology films and all three animated series) that LEGO seems hell-bent on leaving unfilled. I just don't get why LEGO thinks that AFOLs would rather have helmets and statues over some of these things. 

17 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I just don't get why LEGO thinks that AFOLs would rather have helmets and statues over some of these things. 

Me neither :) But I'm an outsider and as such, not part of Lego's decision making process, and in my experience for an outsider, it is pretty much impossible to influence the direction this process takes.

At the end of the day, I don't know what the AFOL community wants. I know what I want, but I do not know if that's representative for the AFOL community as a whole.

Edited by Brickadeer

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

These choices make sense when you take the 40th anniversary of ESB in consideration.

Were there any TIE pilots in ESB? I only remember the one who's seen for half a second when he flies out of his cockpit after crashing into an asteroid.
And the Stormtrooper helmet is not the ESB version.

6 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Were there any TIE pilots in ESB? I only remember the one who's seen for half a second when he flies out of his cockpit after crashing into an asteroid.
And the Stormtrooper helmet is not the ESB version.

Idk if we saw TIE pilots in ESB. I meant to say it makes sense for none of these helmets to be prequel-based as it's ESB 40th anniversary this year :wink:

April wave is the worst wave LEGO has ever released.I am 26 year old afol and best thing about LEGO Star Wars are the minifigures, cool playsets to learn stop motion on,and vehicles for display.If i wanted statues or helmets i would buy them from the companies that make such things,same with brickheadz and buildable figures i would rather buy funko pop and hasbro figures than have shi***er versions of them in LEGO form.(i dont mind brickheadz cause they dont take space from actual LEGO sets we got like these helmets now).It just so frustrating to think breathe and talk about LEGO Star Wars 365 days a year and then you cant buy anything you love from January of 2019 to August of 2020.And ofc they are all from OT and again we dont get any love for prequels,especially with 40 year anniversary on the sets when they ignored phantom menace anniversary last year where all other companies celebrated it.

Edited by PreVizsla

Just now, PreVizsla said:

April wave is the worst wave LEGO has ever released.I am 26 year old afol and best thing about LEGO Star Wars are the minifigures, cool playsets to learn stop motion on,and vehicles for display.If i wanted statues or helmets i would buy them from the companies that make such things,same with brickheadz and buildable figures i would rather buy funko pop and hasbro figures than have shi***er versions of them in LEGO form.(i dont mind brickheadz cause they dont take space from actual LEGO sets we got like these helmets now).It just so frustrating to think breathe and talk about LEGO Star Wars 365 days a year and then you cant buy anything you love from January of 2019 to August of 2020.And ofc they are all from OT and again we dont get any love for prequels,especially with 40 year anniversary on the sets when they ignored phantom menace anniversary last year where all other companies celebrated it.

At least there is an upside to it. If you only buy Star Wars and don't like this wave you'll save money to buy more sets in the future (like the august sets) 

59 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I have to say, while I think the helmets look fine, I am frustrated that this is how LEGO thinks they are servicing the AFOL community. Coming off the much younger-skewing sets of 2019 (action battle sets, 4+/Juniors sets, etc.), and hearing all the talk that LEGO made to retailers about recognizing the importance of AFOLs, underestimating their share of the market, etc., it seems like LEGO just doesn't have a firm grasp of what AFOLs actually want. Specifically: Larger sets, with more detail, that are more movie-accurate, that haven't been done before (or haven't been done in a long, long time). Minifigures that were passed over, and minifigs with more detailed printing... leg printing, arm printing, new molds, etc.

There are gaping holes in all three trilogies now (not to mention the two anthology films and all three animated series) that LEGO seems hell-bent on leaving unfilled. I just don't get why LEGO thinks that AFOLs would rather have helmets and statues over some of these things. 

So much this. It's almost like they're just mocking us at this point. How long have some been crying for a Jedi Temple, Yavin IV, Saw Gerrera, various ships from Rebels, etc? Lego went so far as to give a set clone collectors might have wanted (Geonosis Troopers), only to flip us the bird with the laziest battle pack ever. I'm so close to done with LSW it's sad. Hopefully pictures of the summer wave (including whatever those 4 clones are) will pick up our collective spirits.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Idk if we saw TIE pilots in ESB. I meant to say it makes sense for none of these helmets to be prequel-based as it's ESB 40th anniversary this year :wink:

This is a crap "anniversary wave". I remember ten years ago, we had an AT-AT, our first Wampa cave, and two battle packs, not to mention Slave I with that sweet sweet new Boba Fett Helmet.

7 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

At least there is an upside to it. If you only buy Star Wars and don't like this wave you'll save money to buy more sets in the future (like the august sets) 

I am terrible with savings i will probably waste it on bricklink on old figures like always or get more harry potter sets.

I am terrible with savings i will probably waste it on bricklink on old figures like always or get more harry potter sets.

If you want those figures/sets it's not really a waste is it?

35 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Well sometimes it's just an impulse. For example I bought Silent Mary two years ago and I kind of regret it, I wouldn't buy it again if I had a choice. On the other hand, this year I bought The Upside Down and it's amazing, I love it, and I don't regret a dollar spent on this masterpiece.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The thing is, this wave doesn't sound bad - it just doesn't appeal to me.

Thank you! There's alot of people that decide that any wave not specifically appealing to them is an affront to the lego brand. 

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

haven't thought about Grevious, it's such a wonderful idea for a helmet set. Droid heads would work too, I hope they don't stick to helmets only. Probably the only helmets I would buy would be Kylo Ren and Grevious.

Grievous's helmet would be so cool to see as a set.

I like that they're starting out with ESB sets for the 40th, but agree that this isn't what the majority of AFOLS want. And I think it's because they're not trying to appeal specifically to AFOLS, but just adults in general. People who might not buy legos normally, but remember the OT from their youth, and will buy the helmet to put on their desk or something. You have to remember that the OT is the overall most popular (and I think almost certainly the best) trilogy of films, so the majority of sets based for adults in general will be for that. With the prequel kids growing up and seeing those films through the lens of nostolgia, we'll probably see more prequel UCS sets soon, like the gunship. Eventually we'll see more sequel UCS, or high republic (if it gets films), or what have you as the generations that grew up with those films become adults.

34 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Its like settling for next best thing.I would rather go to store and pick up a prequel set than go to bricklink and pay 60$ plus shipping for a single padme in dress minifigure.And sometimes building helps with stressful work so i might impulse buy something like first order heavy scout walker for hux minifigure and then not touch it and regret buying it,but dont want go through all the hassle to sell it.And i love harry potter but i love non ot star wars more by a longshot and woudl rather have it on my shelfs.

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Well sometimes it's just an impulse. For example I bought Silent Mary two years ago and I kind of regret it, I wouldn't buy it again if I had a choice. On the other hand, this year I bought The Upside Down and it's amazing, I love it, and I don't regret a dollar spent on this masterpiece.

I bought the Silent Mary too but never regretted it one bit. Even though the movie ended up being really disappointing the set is still beautifull and one of my favorite sets in my collection. Too bad I can't say the same about some other sets (including Star Wars)....

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

And I think it's because they're not trying to appeal specifically to AFOLS, but just adults in general. People who might not buy legos normally, but remember the OT from their youth, and will buy the helmet to put on their desk or something.

First OT movie came out 43 years ago so if person that saw it had 17,he is 60 now(if even alive),and most likely retired from work.How big is a market of still working in office 60 year olds that watched OT and that would buy LEGO sets cause of nostalgia and that bring toys to work to put them on table?

First OT movie came out 43 years ago so if person that saw it had 17,he is 60 now(if even alive),and most likely retired from work.How big is a market of still working in office 60 year olds that watched OT and that would buy LEGO sets cause of nostalgia and that bring toys to work to put them on table?

So many weird things about this comment. Firstly, why 17? I was five when ANH first screened and yeah nostalgia value is a big factor in my Lego SW collection. Secondly, the retirement age in most developed countries (ie. TLGs biggest markets) is not 60, its 65+. Thirdly, “even alive”? The life expectancy in said countries is typically late 70s-80s and the median age is probably higher than you think. And yes, I still display Lego in my office :classic:

28 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I bought the Silent Mary too but never regretted it one bit. Even though the movie ended up being really disappointing the set is still beautifull and one of my favorite sets in my collection. Too bad I can't say the same about some other sets (including Star Wars)....

Don't get me wrong, I really love this set, but if I could get those 200€ back and buy, for example, Avengers Tower and Astronomy Tower (Summer sets), I would do it in a heartbeat. 

I agree the helmets and no real playset is a really strange choice for one wave. I am still looking forward to the August sets though. In the meantime i will spend money on getting the first two HP waves so i am ready for the next one. :D

This is starting to veer off topic. Don't fly into an asteroid like that ESB TIE Pilot.