MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, 2maxwell said:

Is this really a thing? I've been buying lego star wars sets since the first wave back in 1999 and I wouldnt describe many of them that way. Most were gray, some were certainly ugly, and I guess many of the AT line were boxy, but I didn't realize that was a reputation among star wars sets.

It’s only a thing for people who like to complain. A lot of Star Wars vehicles are ugly gray boxes. The Lego versions are just accurate to their on screen counterparts. The Razor Crest is literally an ugly gray box but it’s iconic and therefore great in LEGO. I mean, would people really prefer a bright orange version instead? I just don’t understand why people complain about these things when it’s just an accurate representation of the ship from the series

I'm not complaining about it at all!  The set is a very good Lego representation of the ship from the TV show, and I applaud that.  I'm just saying that yes, the source material is plain, gray, and boxy, and the set reflects that faithfully.  It reminds me of the Rexplorer from TLM2, which is also in many ways an admirable set and a very playable spaceship - but ultimately I passed on that one because I prefer my spaceships more pointy than boxy, and I'll probably pass on the Razor Crest for the same reason.

Just now, icm said:

I'm not complaining about it at all!  The set is a very good Lego representation of the ship from the TV show, and I applaud that.  I'm just saying that yes, the source material is plain, gray, and boxy, and the set reflects that faithfully.  It reminds me of the Rexplorer from TLM2, which is also in many ways an admirable set and a very playable spaceship - but ultimately I passed on that one because I prefer my spaceships more pointy than boxy, and I'll probably pass on the Razor Crest for the same reason.

Don't worry, I didn't think you were being super negative or anything. I was just surprised because I guess, over all these years, Star Wars sets have never really struck me "plain, gray, and boxy". Was kind of just surprised to hear that might be a common opinion.

The Razor's Crest doesn't strike me as a box... what does strike me as one is that First Order Troop Transport. 

That thing is the epitome of plain, grey, and boxy.

4 minutes ago, JoeyB said:

The Razor's Crest doesn't strike me as a box... what does strike me as one is that First Order Troop Transport. 

That thing is the epitome of plain, grey, and boxy.

Unlike many actually quite simple designs in earlier sci-fi movies with Star Wars ships its always about the details:

Razors Crest - like the Gonzati class cruiser - could be seen as a box with 2 wings or engines on the sides. But with the Gonzati for example there are very sleek curves going through the main body - which were not at all represented in the Lego set. I am therefore sooo glad they did manage to represent many aspekts in the Razors Crest, that make all the difference from a simple "box with 2 engines". This is the first design I can really appreciate, in it's Lego form since like 5 years or so.

Thing is most people - even many here - dont seem to see the slight details which make all the difference. I find it often interesting, when people complain about a rehashed design for a Lego set - when there are big structural changes.

Unlike the X-Wing: Lego uses the exact same (boxy) concept for the X-Wing since like 5 years - even though it is neither accurate for the old X-Wing - even less so for the shorter and sleeker sequel trilogy X-Wings.

This isn’t strictly on topic but I just wanted to mention it because I really just realized that I actually don’t really mind stickers in sets very much. They just add that bit of detail that Lego parts can’t quite manage. What sucks is when you accidentally mess them up and then they’re practically impossible to fix but they really add a lot to a set. If you take a ship that has stickers for added detail and then take the stickers away (I’ve seen people who hate stickers do this) it genuinely looks worse because that bit of detail, that we don’t quite notice as much when it’s there, stands out like a sore thumb when it isn't there. So yeah, I think stickers actually add positive detail to sets and I don’t mind them much. That’s why I never really complain about them as much as I would expect I suppose. They’re not that bad. It’s also the reason why some MOCs just don’t quite cut it. They don’t have that extra detail

56 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I find it often interesting, when people complain about a rehashed design for a Lego set - when there are big structural changes.

Oh man I totally agree. So many people bitched and moaned that last year’s 75233 Droid Gunship was just a rehash, when it was almost entirely a new build from the ground up. Fantastic set.

Now my turn to comment on the Razor Crest. I don’t think it’s worth the $200AUD it’ll cost here, but I argue that it’s a lot nicer than a lot of MOCs out there. The only thing lacking in the set is a little bit more colour. The nacelle intakes are a little bit too ribbed, and the front is quite bland. I have to agree that for a $200 set, it needs more to make it worthwhile.

Tbh I’m not sold on the Baby Yoda fig. I was expecting some sort of robe, not a beige tracksuit lol.

So Hasbro is also making a new anakin jedi interceptor this summer, and an AT RT, which comes with a Captain Rex action figure, I think this is a good indication that other toy companies are taking the clone wars seriously, hopefully this happens with Lego too

Also there are a few new Ashoka action figures as well

1 hour ago, legosamsonite said:

So Hasbro is also making a new anakin jedi interceptor this summer, and an AT RT, which comes with a Captain Rex action figure, I think this is a good indication that other toy companies are taking the clone wars seriously, hopefully this happens with Lego too

Yeah I’ll be very surprised if we don’t get Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka. I think Rex is very possible too, but I don't think we can realistically expect any other main characters, as much as I would love Maul, Trench, and Bo Katan, not to mention the Bad Batch and other clones. Maybe we can expect more if they continue the CW sets next year, but for the few we’re getting this year, I’m trying not to expect much as far as figures. Probably a fair amount of generic clones and battle droids 

I’m very pleased with the design of the Razor Crest and will definitely be picking it up. However, I do have a question. Is the Razor Crest going to be the only reveal for NYTF or will there be more?

4 minutes ago, LegoStarWarsFan777 said:

Is the Razor Crest going to be the only reveal for NYTF or will there be more?

I mean... there is Minions. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Yeah I’ll be very surprised if we don’t get Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka. I think Rex is very possible too, but I don't think we can realistically expect any other main characters, as much as I would love Maul, Trench, and Bo Katan, not to mention the Bad Batch and other clones. Maybe we can expect more if they continue the CW sets next year, but for the few we’re getting this year, I’m trying not to expect much as far as figures. Probably a fair amount of generic clones and battle droids 

I'd assume Anakin and Obi-Wan are pretty much entirely confirmed at this point with Grievous' ship and Anakin's interceptor.  Based on the trailers/episode so far, they look pretty much identical to how they looked in Ep III, so the figs will be somewhat ambiguous as to which source they're supposed to represent.  The AAT or BARC make a lot of sense to put Ahsoka in one and Rex in the other, breaking up the main characters.  Plus, the AAT would probably sell significantly better if it had a named character in it as opposed to just, say, two droids and two random clones.  That's why I'm confused as to why it seems Lego is choosing not to put Commander Cody in the Grievous set.  I would honestly consider it on sale if it had him in it, but without him, eh.

Edited by Kit Figsto

2 hours ago, legosamsonite said:

Isn’t Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor in TCW different than the one we see in ROTS? If so, that could be a TCW set instead of ROTS. 

2 minutes ago, NeutralNoodle said:

Isn’t Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor in TCW different than the one we see in ROTS? If so, that could be a TCW set instead of ROTS. 

For most of the series he was in his Delta 7B, that’s 75214. The Eta 2 that appeared in ROTS was shown in a few episodes of Seasons 5 and 6. Given 75214 was only released less than two years ago, the new set should be his Eta 2, essentially a remake of 75038.

12 minutes ago, NeutralNoodle said:

Slightly. The Eta-2 shown in the latter episodes of TCW has a different paint scheme than the one from ROTS.

5 hours ago, legosamsonite said:

It's not even a given that it's a remake of a TCW set, and that it will contain Captain Rex. As jdubbs pointed out, Lego hasn't yet remade many sets from TCW series (Anakin's Starfighter), and in the case you are right, this wave would contain two remakes.

75182 is effectively a remake of 7679, but it's based on a game and includes a phase II gunner that was neither seen in TCW nor in the movies, so Lego might have gotten their inspiration from other sources than TCW series and EP 3 as well.

Edited by Brickadeer

2 hours ago, NeutralNoodle said:

This one. I brought it up a few pages ago but it got buried under people arguing over minifigures. It could also be a remake of the green one he flies to Mustafar. 

I like the Razorcrest. Could've gone for Kuill over Karga, and a Remnant Trooper over the Scout Trooper (not even remotely different from the Action Battle figure, which is nice, but not really accurate), but overall I'm happy.

With today being Saturday, and the biggest day of the fair, I hope we see more stuff revealed. We most likely won't know the May UCS until April, at least not officially, and we might see a couple of Clone Wars sets, since Hasbro and other brands are going for Mandalorian and Clone Wars over ROS (rightfully so, I might add), so maybe the AT-RT/BARC and AAT reveal? With a side of AT-AT to celebrate the 40th anniversary of ESB? Only a few hours to go.

I think the Razor Crest is an interesting set. I fits well with the current Slave I for children to play with. Overall the design is quite good, although there are some really big stickers there that I like less. The inclusion of baby Yoda is very wellcome.

Those two big cockpit pieces, the gray one and the transparent one, are new?

3 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

For most of the series he was in his Delta 7B, that’s 75214. The Eta 2 that appeared in ROTS was shown in a few episodes of Seasons 5 and 6. Given 75214 was only released less than two years ago, the new set should be his Eta 2, essentially a remake of 75038.

The ROTS Eta 2 also appears in 7x01, right before we see Anakin and Windu

45 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

With today being Saturday, and the biggest day of the fair, I hope we see more stuff revealed. We most likely won't know the May UCS until April, at least not officially, and we might see a couple of Clone Wars sets, since Hasbro and other brands are going for Mandalorian and Clone Wars over ROS (rightfully so, I might add), so maybe the AT-RT/BARC and AAT reveal? With a side of AT-AT to celebrate the 40th anniversary of ESB? Only a few hours to go.

If we see more Star Wars sets it will most likely be some of the april ones, definetely not those from summer

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

If we see more Star Wars sets it will most likely be some of the april ones, definetely not those from summer 

But...that is pretty bad. The sets from the prequel era are pretty much the only thing I'm interested in :( Life ain't fair!

38 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

But...that is pretty bad. The sets from the prequel era are pretty much the only thing I'm interested in :( Life ain't fair!

Usually they only show 1HY sets so we're already extremely lucky to have seen the Razor Crest

26 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Usually they only show 1HY sets so we're already extremely lucky to have seen the Razor Crest

Exactly. If they show anything else (and that‘s a big IF), it’ll most likely be the April wave sets. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Razor Crest and the Minions sets were our only reveals for this year’s NYTF, but at least those two were great :thumbup: Everything else is a bonus at this point

12 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Exactly. If they show anything else (and that‘s a big IF), it’ll most likely be the April wave sets. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Razor Crest and the Minions sets were our only reveals for this year’s NYTF, but at least those two were great :thumbup: Everything else is a bonus at this point

I agree I doubt we will see the summer sets. 

Can’t lie though it would be such a good marketing tool if they do have the new sets on show considering TCW returned yesterday. Would really drive the hype up.

The Razor Crest would be outright spectacular, if the used dull silver bricks. But there are no dull silver bricks, so it's a grey box. That's life, but at least it's an iconic grey box with a new windscreen and that's fine for me.