MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

50 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

@PreVizsla

This has been the first UCS vote :wink: The vote in 2009 was for a TRU exclusive and I can’t remember a poll in 2005 :wacko: 

This honestly sounds like a conspiracy theory. Why on earth would set votings be linked to license renewals? 

It does sound like it,but lego had a star wars licence for 21 years,how come we only got 3 ucs/set votes just in time for them to get produced and sold before their licence renewal meetings?And 2009 was TRU exclusive for United States(maybe Canada too) but for the rest of the world that dont have TRU that was basically normal set vote.

@Per_SW i totally agree with everything you said,i have been more selective with my purchases too i listened to Brickitects advice and started "voting with my wallet" even though i have money for it i dont get it if i dont like it and i get Harry Potter stuff instead.And SW merchandise is selling terribly not just LEGO i saw people building 2 meter towers from rose tico action figures on YT which are so discounted that they cost less than a dollar.

@RODDY yeah its disneys fault too,and i do agree with Harry Potter,their sets for past few years are on point,maybe even best from all the themes and i cant wait for new ones too.
Its also easier to make sets for Harry Potter cause fans mostly(me included) love every single second out of all the movies(not counting fantastic beasts),when Star Wars fans are divided like you said,1 group loves only OT,1 only PT,1 only ST and its hard to please them all and make profit cause PT fans wont be getting ST sets,OT fans wont get PT sets,and people that love everything are in the minority.

All in all its like  @Guyon2002 said in short,disney is sabotaging themselves.

6 hours ago, LurkingEhlek said:

Is it possible that the cancelled sets were action battle sets due to them under performing? There is no way to know, but that seems like a possibility.

This could totally be true. Like the b2 and clone with AT-RT of the constraction line. People are jumping to conclusions here with "disney cancelled TCW sets"

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

It does sound like it,but lego had a star wars licence for 21 years,how come we only got 3 ucs/set votes just in time for them to get produced and sold before their licence renewal meetings?And 2009 was TRU exclusive for United States(maybe Canada too) but for the rest of the world that dont have TRU that was basically normal set vote

We only got three votes because, like almost all companies, lego's goal is to make profit. The majority of people that were able to vote for these sets (heck you're supposed to be 13 to have a lego ideas account) aren't in their target audiance. Therefore, them giving any votes at all is nice to us adult fans because, at least for the non-ucs 2009 set, it's something that adults want more than children. (to be honest, hanger bay and conference room really doesn't sound like something that would appeal to most children)

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

1) We don‘t know why they were cancelled

2) Disney being responsible is just a rumour

3) Sets get cancelled all the time, usually indicated by skipped set numbers

4) There‘s no reason to assume they were based on TCW (or any others specific property, for that matter)

Just saying :wink: 

Thank you! There are a lot of people who are assuming that disney cancelled clone wars sets, when there is no evidence AT ALL that this is the case. A few sets were cancelled, and if you guys remember when the constraction sets were cancelled it very likely could be similar to that.

I'd also like to present that I think there's some real evidence that the AT-RT and BARC set is a large clone pack. Since it has an AT-RT and a BARC, and Anakin and Obi-wan both come in other sets, unless ahsoka is included and is the BARC driver, this set must include at least two clone troopers. I'm actually really excited, because even if there are only two clone figures, the set's a great GAR builder, with two common vehicles and likely a few clones.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Considering the last great lag in Star Wars media produced a lot of great toys (2006-2015, not counting the clone wars cartoon), that's really not a sound conclusion to make. We're actually getting less in times of mass media, than we did when there was no media.

I think there's a third variable at play here though.  During the period of lSW from 1999-2005, they had to focus their attention on the prequels, so that essentially 3 of those 6 years were almost entirely focused on TPM/AOTC/ROTS.  They did put out a number of the very iconic ships and scenes from the OT, of course, but there was still a ton of unused material.  I'd bet that over half of the sets from 2006-2015 were scenes/vehicles that had never been made before or were very clear upgrades on existing sets.  We're at the point now where almost all of the iconic vehicles and scenes from the first six films have been made in some way or another in Lego form, or those that haven't are either not possible because of size (Theed Palace, for example), or are way too obscure. 

Like, take ESB for example.  Basically the only thing we're missing from that film is the Nebulon B, which most people would agree is only feasible as a UCS set, but obviously they're not going to make that in the period between 2000-2015, because there's still way too many set candidates that are going to sell better or be more desirable.  The only remake we haven't had for a little while is a TIE Bomber, but even that was in the movie for like ten seconds.  ANH, same deal, really the only major locations we've never had are the Lars homestead and Yavin IV, ROTJ is pretty much the same, all that we're missing is a more accurate Home One or another Rebel command ship, but that essentially poses the same problem as Nebulon B.  

Yes, there's still stuff from the prequels that deserves remakes or hasn't been covered, but realistically, it makes sense to me that the waves are smaller.  There's simply just not as much source material to go off of that Lego see as a sure fire seller.  Mandalorian doesn't count because the wave had likely already been decided prior to them knowing how the show would perform, and they may have pushed another set through just to serve the demand.  TCW is popular among hardcore SW fans, but there's no way it's going to reach the same level that The Child or even Mando himself have.  Heck, there's still a ton of people who don't know who Ahsoka is, even though she's been a character for 12 years, but I would be willing to bet that a lot of non-SW fans could pick out Mando.

47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'd also like to present that I think there's some real evidence that the AT-RT and BARC set is a large clone pack. Since it has an AT-RT and a BARC, and Anakin and Obi-wan both come in other sets, unless ahsoka is included and is the BARC driver, this set must include at least two clone troopers. I'm actually really excited, because even if there are only two clone figures, the set's a great GAR builder, with two common vehicles and likely a few clones.

Imagine if this was like 2 Battle Packs in one! It kind of makes sense, two $15 vehicles together to make a $30 set? Skirts around the unspoken 2 Battle Packs a year rule, and gives fans a good assortment of clones. It could even come with eight figures. And before anyone says it, yes, that's extremely unlikely, but if you buy two $15 sets with 4 figures a piece, that's 8 figures for $30. Surely someone in Lego can figure that out.

@Kit Figsto I agree with pretty much everything you just said. My point, however, was that we shouldn't just expect to get less now that the movies are over. Star Wars is unique in that there's a huge well of sets that Lego can choose from. The Sequels, Rogue One, and Solo tied them down (a bit too much), but I'm sure we'll go back to a nice variety, and a mix of quality and quantity.

30 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

We're at the point now where almost all of the iconic vehicles and scenes from the first six films have been made in some way or another in Lego form, or those that haven't are either not possible because of size (Theed Palace, for example), or are way too obscure. 

I agree with that about OT but disagree with PT just by looking at episode 1 and not touching other movies.

Movie starts.They land on lucrehulk we dont have piloted by neimodian pilots,daultay dofine and rune haako whose figs we dont have,to invade naboo with landing crafts we dont have.2 jedi with jar jar go to underwater city of Otoh Gunga which we dont have.Then there is theed palace we dont have and then they end up on Tatooine by flying naboo royal starship we dont have,they are in wattoos junkshop which we dont have,we also dont have shmi skywalker or anakins home,lets skip obscure racing.Padme goes to talk to Boss Nass which we dont have on a gungan sacred place we dont have.There is a huge battle with Gungans using Fambaa which we dont have,and with Kaadu that desperately need upgrade,battle droids are the same since 1999 and they age terribly,and there is 1 padme in dress figure which costs more on bricklink than average new set with 0 of her sheldmaidens. Battle ends when anakin blows up lucrehulk that we previously established we dont have.

2 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

they are in wattoos junkshop which we dont have

It's not a very good set, but we do sort of have that in the form of 7186 Watto's Junkyard.

In a larger sense, you have to think about what sells well. I don't have the data in front on me, but the company's behavior suggests that its vehicles and famous vignettes that sell well. That's why we get so many sets for Naboo Starfighters, AATs, MTTs, podracers, Sith infiltrators, STAPs, duels with Maul, and even a few Gungan subs. That you think podracing is obscure suggests how far outside of the norm you are. For most kids that grew up with the PT, podracing is one of the most iconic parts of the entire trilogy. Everyone played the old podracing game on N64 or PC. The simple reality is that the Lego group has made the decision that most of whats on your list wouldn't sell well outside of potentially architecture or UCS lines.

There are obviously some ideas in there that I think *would* sell well and I'm sure we'll see them eventually. I expect we'll see another Gungan battle scene of some kind with Kaadu and maybe a Fambaa. The best one I think is the royal Naboo starship, though that one I believe has always been avoided because of the difficulty in recreating a fully chromed ship, especially as Lego has stepped away from chroming in general. They'll do it one way or another eventually I'm sure, and I'm sure it will include a Padme in her gown.

4 hours ago, Per_SW said:

And yet that still won't solve the situation, because the lower quality/quantity of sets makes most of us buyer more selective, so we buy less, so they make less money, so they make less sets for higher prices to recoup the losses and it seems that the only way to escape this vicious circle is to start buy sets which don't interest us (eg for me the majority of the sequels sets).

You’re describing a Death Spiral. https://www.accountingcoach.com/terms/D/death-spiral Eliminating unprofitable products leads to other products becoming unprofitable due to overheads. In this case it can lead to the end of the product line. Lego should be well aware of it and that may be why the AT-AT and Soulless One are so expensive. Pricing can be a difficult balancing exercise though.

I only hope that waves from now on will stay on shelves in Australia for longer than 4 months. Most of the TFF sets are already retired from stores and Poe’s X-wing is impossible to find. While I’m excited for the AT-AT, paying $250 for it will be hard.

23 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

That you think podracing is obscure suggests how far outside of the norm you are. For most kids that grew up with the PT, podracing is one of the most iconic parts of the entire trilogy.

I was 7 when I watched the phantom menace and it is still my favorite movie,but I never cared about podracing the moment my heart skipped a beat was when  droids were unfolding on naboo and seeing darth maul. Just shows beauty of star wars, there is something special each of us loves. 

And you are completely right about famous vignettes selling the best, when I heard leak about AAT nostalgia hit me and i already set aside money to get minimum 5 of them no matter what it looks like or the figures we get. 

29 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

It's not a very good set, but we do sort of have that in the form of 7186 Watto's Junkyard.

In a larger sense, you have to think about what sells well. I don't have the data in front on me, but the company's behavior suggests that its vehicles and famous vignettes that sell well. That's why we get so many sets for Naboo Starfighters, AATs, MTTs, podracers, Sith infiltrators, STAPs, duels with Maul, and even a few Gungan subs. That you think podracing is obscure suggests how far outside of the norm you are. For most kids that grew up with the PT, podracing is one of the most iconic parts of the entire trilogy. Everyone played the old podracing game on N64 or PC. The simple reality is that the Lego group has made the decision that most of whats on your list wouldn't sell well outside of potentially architecture or UCS lines.

There are obviously some ideas in there that I think *would* sell well and I'm sure we'll see them eventually. I expect we'll see another Gungan battle scene of some kind with Kaadu and maybe a Fambaa. The best one I think is the royal Naboo starship, though that one I believe has always been avoided because of the difficulty in recreating a fully chromed ship, especially as Lego has stepped away from chroming in general. They'll do it one way or another eventually I'm sure, and I'm sure it will include a Padme in her gown.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  We're getting fewer sets because most of the existing source material has been made, and the scenes that have not either isn't really feasible (I mean, stuff like Padme meeting with Boss Nass?  That has basically no playability potential and I would bet most casual SW fans don't even remember that scene) or were so minor that there's no purpose in making them.  There's also stuff like the Droid Control ship, if you wanted an accurate model, that thing is the size of the UCS Death Star, but again, no one is spending $500 on a location that probably had fifteen total minutes of screen time.  Stuff like Theed Palace might sell, but again, you can't create a full scale version of it, that'd be way too big and people aren't going to put down $150-200 for it when the other sets at that price point are things like the Falcon or a UCS rebel ship. 

You have to be realistic about what will sell well.  Do I think that stuff like a Republic Gunship or AT-TE deserve to be remade?  Heck yeah I do, because they have enough appeal to both casual and hardcore SW fans, or that their appeal is so strong among a lot of hardcore SW fans that it'll sell well regardless.  That same sentiment really cannot be applied to a lot of prequel locations or vehicles, though.  People who are really into Lego Star Wars will buy anything, they know that, so they need to find ways to make sure that the sets sell well outside of that demographic.  That's why we get an X-Wing/Snowspeeder/Millenium Falcon/Slave I every 2-3 years, because those are the sets that a casual collector will buy.

42 minutes ago, Paul11283652 said:

You’re describing a Death Spiral. https://www.accountingcoach.com/terms/D/death-spiral Eliminating unprofitable products leads to other products becoming unprofitable due to overheads. In this case it can lead to the end of the product line. Lego should be well aware of it and that may be why the AT-AT and Soulless One are so expensive. Pricing can be a difficult balancing exercise though.

I only hope that waves from now on will stay on shelves in Australia for longer than 4 months. Most of the TFF sets are already retired from stores and Poe’s X-wing is impossible to find. While I’m excited for the AT-AT, paying $250 for it will be hard.

I was familiar with the concept in general, but did not know it had a specific term when applied to business/economics, it's always nice to learn something new. And I feel you about the waves lasting less and less, the nearest store to me-a franchised one, to add insult to injury- used to carry a good assortment of sets, but they are not to keen on restocking it and after TFF it shrinked in size even more, to the point that I have never seen a whole slew of sets on their shelves, including the latest Falcon, T-70 or the Tatooine sets from this winter wave. I guess they're trying to sell off the leftover Moloch Speeders and Black Aces before putting out something more palatable.

51 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I was 7 when I watched the phantom menace and it is still my favorite movie,but I never cared about podracing the moment my heart skipped a beat was when  droids were unfolding on naboo and seeing darth maul. Just shows beauty of star wars, there is something special each of us loves. 

And you are completely right about famous vignettes selling the best, when I heard leak about AAT nostalgia hit me and i already set aside money to get minimum 5 of them no matter what it looks like or the figures we get. 

Would've thought your favorite film would be ROTS, but I can respect liking TPM for Maul. I'll be honest though, almost everything that's left for TPM has already come out, aside from the queen's royal starship due to the difficulties in making a chrome ship. 

For instance, we've already had mtts, aats, gungans, droid transports, a duel of the fates, etc. at this point lego knows what sells from that film. (apparently mtts, n-1s, and anything including Maul.) 

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

Thank you! You've got to think, there's really not much from the origional six films we're missing. (I apologize to the AT-UT and SPHA-T fans)

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Imagine if this was like 2 Battle Packs in one! It kind of makes sense, two $15 vehicles together to make a $30 set? Skirts around the unspoken 2 Battle Packs a year rule, and gives fans a good assortment of clones. It could even come with eight figures. And before anyone says it, yes, that's extremely unlikely, but if you buy two $15 sets with 4 figures a piece, that's 8 figures for $30. Surely someone in Lego can figure that out.

Thank you for bolding the extremely unlikely so people don't get the idea that this is an 8-clone set. I'd say 4 clones and MAYBE a b1 or two, MAXIMUM. Most likely it'll be a clone or two, a jedi, and a droid or two. (But yeah a double-battle pack of the GAR would be super cool)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Some of you guys seem to have taken the news that three sets may have been cancelled — sets which have been omitted from pretty much all informed discussion for weeks now — as a sign the sky is falling. It's not.

As they say in Tara: tomorrow is another day. And probably a pretty good one, methinks.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Some of you guys seem to have taken the news that three sets may have been cancelled — sets which have been omitted from pretty much all informed discussion for weeks now — as a sign the sky is falling. It's not.

As they say in Tara: tomorrow is another day. And probably a pretty good one, methinks.

1. Thank you for reminding people that this isn't the end of the world or the manifestation of some maniacal disney scheme, sets get canceled, it's not world-ending.

2. Is this a hint at more information to come...:excited:

Ok so I'm still a bit unclear on what people were saying is cancelled and what isn't.

I'm going to ignore April because that seems to be set in stone, 3 large scale sets and the unknown final system scale set.

Summer initially was confirmed to be six sets, these have now been more or less revealed to be a BARC that may/may not contain an AT-RT, Anakin's Interceptor, AAT, Night Buzzard, Grievous' ship, and the AT-AT.  We also had another two sets show up on an Instagram leak, one of which has been hinted to be the Razor Crest.  The other one of these hasn't really been talked about much since the Instagram page leaked the list.  

deep breath

Ok, so I think that's where we're at.  So is there those six sets, plus the unknown/possible Razor Crest, and then three cancelled sets that may/may not be cancelled, or were people lumping in the possible Razor Crest as one of the purportedly cancelled sets?

Sorry, hard to follow as the info's been dumping all at once.  Can't keep track of what's what.  

Well, coming back to the forum after months away... this all sounds very confounding. What on Earth could be the UCS set, and why wouldn't it be an AT-AT when this is like THE year to make one? $160 is pretty wack,  I'm also baffled (and will likely be disappointed) that the trend of overpriced sets with almost no good figures to come out of them will likely continue, lookin' at you, Soulless One. And the fact that we're also not seeing more Mandalorian sets is a puzzler, unless that Razor's Crest rumor is true. I suppose things are still somewhat undecided, but dang... it just seems like Star Wars sets are much worse than you used to, and each new iteration is like 25-40% more expensive than the stuff from a few years ago. Ah well. 

To quote Lando Calrissian, "This deal is getting worse all the time!"

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

2. Is this a hint at more information to come...:excited:

NYTF? :laugh: I know it officially starts on Saturday, but isn’t there a preview event usually?

2 hours ago, JoeyB said:

I suppose things are still somewhat undecided, but dang... it just seems like Star Wars sets are much worse than you used to, and each new iteration is like 25-40% more expensive than the stuff from a few years ago. Ah well. 

To quote Lando Calrissian, "This deal is getting worse all the time!"

I disagree. Considering the discounts, prices have remained relatively constant in the past 7~8 years (that may vary in different regions of the world, though). Plus, the set quality, especially the printing of the minifigures, has increased.

Edited by Brickadeer

Just now, Brickadeer said:

I disagree. considering the discounts, prices have remained relatively constant in the past 7~8 years. Plus, the set quality, especially the printing of the minifigures, has increased.

I definetely disagree. Discounts are very much a regional thing, most countries don't get a lot of discounts and if they get them they still don't change much. As for the minifigures, I'd like to once again bring up the awfull light printing on darker pieces....

33 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I definetely disagree. Discounts are very much a regional thing, most countries don't get a lot of discounts and if they get them they still don't change much. As for the minifigures, I'd like to once again bring up the awfull light printing on darker pieces....

Within the European Union there are countless possibilities to get discounts. Amazon is only one example. The only thing you need is a credit card to order from amazon.it /.fr .co/uk and so on. 30% off is normal for Star Wars, Ninjago, Minecraft...usually I buy sets when they are offered 40-50% off except UCS sets. If a collector is patient RRP does not matter. 

I have a more general question related to 75275, which is rumored to be a UCS set at 199,99$: Is a Turbo Tank/Dropship + AT-OT something that can be expected at this price, or rather not?

4 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

I have a more general question related to 75275, which is rumored to be a UCS set at 199,99$: Is a Turbo Tank/Dropship + AT-OT something that can be expected at this price, or rather not?

I had in mind a Dropship with AT-TE. But the last Dropship was more expensive than $199.99 so I’m not sure. 

1 minute ago, ArrowBricks said:

But the last Dropship was more expensive than $199.99 so I’m not sure. 

Yes, that's the point. The RRP of 10195 was $249.99, but the piececount was comparatively low, 1,758. So I wonder if it's realistic to expect a set with ~1,700 pieces at this price.

Edited by Brickadeer

8 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

Yes, that's the point. The RRP of 10195 was $249.99, but the piececount was comparatively low, 1,758. So I wonder if it's realistic to expect a set with ~1,700 pieces at this price.

Can’t imagine Lego reducing previous price points considering the inflation and pattern of rising prices recently. 

3 hours ago, Brickadeer said:

I disagree. Considering the discounts, prices have remained relatively constant in the past 7~8 years (that may vary in different regions of the world, though). Plus, the set quality, especially the printing of the minifigures, has increased.

Yep, I have to agree to this. Would make me and probably many others happy if they started printing the arms and using double molded legs and arms for Star Wars figures, though...
In addition, you can find relatively nice prices even on Bricklink if you don't find sale prices in your homecountry.

- Samppu