MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I am on rewatching binge marathon of clone wars and i was wondering is there any chance that new clone wars sets arent based on new episodes but on old ones?Cause i just watched episode 21 of season 1 where

Reveal hidden contents

lightning squadron on AT-RTs were fighting AATs on Ryloth.

I think that it's highly unlikely that Lego will create a set that is clearly recognizable representing a scene from "The Battle of Ryloth". Thus, I do not believe that 75280 will be based on TCW Season 1, which, I think, is the answer to your question.

However, content of sets may be based on different sources. The current Droid Gunship and AT-AP, for example, are based on EP 3, namely the battle of Kashyyk. So are the main characters, Tarful and Gree. The printing of the battle droids, however, is from TCW series. So it's not entirely correct to say that both sets are based on the EP 3, they are based on EP 3 and TCW series. As for 75206, the recent "Jedi and Clone Troopers Battle Pack", it's unclear if it's based on EP 2 or TCW series. It fits pretty well into both backgrounds. So I think that Lego will continue to integrate material from TCW series into sets of the PT if it increases the perceived value of the set and thus increases the expected sales. I think that's why we find e.g. Quinlan Vos in an EP 3 set, though he didn't appear in EP 3. My point is that since quite some time, no clear destinction between "TCW sets" and "Prequel sets" can be made. That's why I hope that in time, main characters from TCW series will find their ways into sets based on verhicles or buildings from the PT.

Edited by Brickadeer

58 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

I think that it's highly unlikely that Lego will create a set that is clearly recognizable representing a scene from "The Battle of Ryloth". Thus, I do not believe that 75280 will be based on TCW Season 1, which, I think, is the answer to your question.

However, content of sets may be based on different sources. The current Droid Gunship and AT-AP, for example, are based on EP 3, namely the battle of Kashyyk. So are the main characters, Tarful and Gree. The printing of the battle droids, however, is from TCW series. So it's not entirely correct to say that both sets are based on the EP 3, they are based on EP 3 and TCW series. As for 75206, the recent "Jedi and Clone Troopers Battle Pack", it's unclear if it's based on EP 2 or TCW series. It fits pretty well into both backgrounds. So I think that Lego will continue to integrate material from TCW series into sets of the PT if it increases the perceived value of the set and thus increases the expected sales. I think that's why we find e.g. Quinlan Vos in an EP 3 set, though he didn't appear in EP 3. My point is that since quite some time, no clear destinction between "TCW sets" and "Prequel sets" can be made. That's why I hope that in time, main characters from TCW series will find their ways into sets based on verhicles or buildings from the PT.

We can only hope for this. It makes more sense to make figures and sets from the PT area compatible. I considered what we had before (CW printing) to be unnatural. :laugh:

Both of the above posts. ??

It was a mistake when TLG decided to do highly stylized mini-figures for TCW instead of trying to make them as movie accurate or “lifelike” as possible at the time.

TCW wasn’t animated in the way it is because it looked good (at least at the beginning it wasn’t), it was done that way because it was the cheapest form of animation they had at the time and the target audience was young children who presumably wouldn’t care (I did, but I guess I was already too old at 10).

So when TLG took the route they did for the initial TCW sets, and for several years following the sets just felt, well, cheap.  Empty.  Half-assed.  Even a lot of the designs were very lacking in comparison to their original Episode 2 and Episode 3 counterparts.

In recent years (since the 2014 wave) TLG seems to have tried to right the wrongs of the past.  But TCW had ended.  I’m very interested to see if they choose the cheap route again for this wave, or if they put the same amount of effort they did into the last Anakin’s Jedi Starfighter we received.  That set was great all around.  Design both set and mini-figure wise, AND price.

We will see.  But they really need to let the lackluster stylized Clone Troopers die.  Please.  Don’t bring them back.  Ever.  What a waste.

The guys over at Promobricks (https://www.promobricks.de/lego-star-wars-informationen-sets-2020/95116/) have also posted the set list, with some interesting details added:

- The spring wave is released on April 19th (s@h, stores) or May 4th (retail). The summer wave is released in stores on August 1st, whereas the s@h release date is currently unknown.

- 75274 is apparently a s@h/store exclusive since it has no retail release date.

- 75291 is a retailer exclusive (duh) and has a piece count of 775 at a price of 99.90€ 

15 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The guys over at Promobricks (https://www.promobricks.de/lego-star-wars-informationen-sets-2020/95116/) have also posted the set list, with some interesting details added:

- The spring wave is released on April 19th (s@h, stores) or May 4th (retail). The summer wave is released in stores on August 1st, whereas the s@h release date is currently unknown.

- 75274 is apparently a s@h/store exclusive since it has no retail release date.

- 75291 is a retailer exclusive (duh) and has a piece count of 775 at a price of 99.90€ 

So 75274 is the last April set right?

And 75291 is the one that has been alluded to being the razorcrest?

1 hour ago, legosamsonite said:

So 75274 is the last April set right?

And 75291 is the one that has been alluded to being the razorcrest?

Correct on both accounts :classic: Let‘s hope these two are what we think they are and that they‘ve not been cancelled :purrr:

10 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Probably a STAP or something 

That would be nice to get, when was the last one, salucami?

10 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I am on rewatching binge marathon of clone wars and i was wondering is there any chance that new clone wars sets arent based on new episodes but on old ones?Cause i just watched episode 21 of season 1 where

Reveal hidden contents

lightning squadron on AT-RTs were fighting AATs on Ryloth.

@Brickadeer had a good point, but I'd add that At-rt's and AATs are very common clone wars vehicles. If they were in the same set, it would be possible, but not pluasable. Seeing as the at-rt comes in a set with a BARC, which as far as I remember wasn't in that scene, there's no chance

23 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Correct on both accounts :classic: Let‘s hope these two are what we think they are and that they‘ve not been cancelled :purrr:

Weird that the razorcrest is a store exclusive. I don't remember walmart and target getting big exclusive sets for star wars, and amazon's exclusive, if I remember correctly, we didn't know about before it was officially revealed.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Its extremely disappointing that 3 sets were cancelled because of disney. Im pretty sure those might’ve been clone wars sets. 

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

Remember Razor Crest still hasn’t been confirmed. It’s been hinted at but I feel like we’ve heard more info against it than for it. I sincerely hope the rumor is true (believe me, I would love nothing more) but I absolutely cannot get my hopes up since last we heard there were not supposed to be any Mando sets

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

Its extremely disappointing that 3 sets were cancelled because of disney. Im pretty sure those might’ve been clone wars sets. 

1) We don‘t know why they were cancelled

2) Disney being responsible is just a rumour

3) Sets get cancelled all the time, usually indicated by skipped set numbers

4) There‘s no reason to assume they were based on TCW (or any others specific property, for that matter)

Just saying :wink: 

8 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It was, and to a tiny extension, TFA (which I did like), but the other films are mediocre at best (Solo, ROS), and base-breaking at worst (The dreaded Last Jedi). Which leads to poor toy sales. Whether you like the new trilogy or not, Disney shot themselves plenty of times in both feet. This is going to be another bullet, unless as some have mentioned, they strive for quality over quantity. But, let's not kid ourselves, this is Disney we're talking about.

As someone who loved The Last Jedi (Canto Bight excluded), I never got any of the sets for it due to the overpricing. Something like £40 for the Resistance pod, and £25 for Luke's tiny hut and 2 minifigures (could've at least included a fish nun), £55! for an unfinished walker, it's excessive.

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

My guess would be Rise of Skywalker, I can think of several obvious sets for the movie that were never made.

Is it possible that the cancelled sets were action battle sets due to them under performing? There is no way to know, but that seems like a possibility.

Edited by LurkingEhlek

I think lego have all the reason to speed up a release of the razorcrest. I have strong beliefs in that would be the best selling SW this year and the hype is on right now. 

This is also the second year they dont release four battlepacks. How unfortunate. 

Edited by Sneakguest

10 minutes ago, ood0 said:

As someone who loved The Last Jedi (Canto Bight excluded), I never got any of the sets for it due to the overpricing. Something like £40 for the Resistance pod, and £25 for Luke's tiny hut and 2 minifigures (could've at least included a fish nun), £55! for an unfinished walker, it's excessive.

My guess would be Rise of Skywalker, I can think of several obvious sets for the movie that were never made.

Funny you say this because I unintentionally own all TLJ sets since they all went on good discount prices at some point or the other. The only one I bought at a high price was the bomber and that was 10 pounds off RRP. Really good wave imo that complimented a good movie

13 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

Funny you say this because I unintentionally own all TLJ sets since they all went on good discount prices at some point or the other. The only one I bought at a high price was the bomber and that was 10 pounds off RRP. Really good wave imo that complimented a good movie

I ended up getting all the sets because I loved the vehicle designs and they complete the collection regardless of how bad the movie was

I liked all new movies, but at the same time the only one I actually committed getting most sets from was R1. I skipped the Tie and the rebel battle pack, but that was it. Honestly it all comes down to prices and timing.

46 minutes ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

Doesn't a decrease in sets make sense? I mean, we won't be getting the additional wave for a film release the next few years, so I thought that was the logical conclusion.

It really doesn't make sense at all

52 minutes ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

Doesn't a decrease in sets make sense? I mean, we won't be getting the additional wave for a film release the next few years, so I thought that was the logical conclusion.

Doesnt make any sense,LEGO is robbing us blind cause people hated sequels and didnt buy anything/enough.
Now they are making overpriced sets in lower quantity to get that money back so they can tell disney how much money they are making during the meeting for contract renewal in 2022(probably why we could vote for ucs set anyway).
Ucs vote in 2020-renewal of licence meeting in 2022.
Ucs vote in 2009-renewal of licence meeting in 2011.
Ucs vote in 2005-renewal of licence meeting in 2006.
Only time LEGO cares about what we want is when their licence is on the line.( maybe we even get some 501st in barc speeder set)
For example AT-AT that was 110 $ is now 160$.You could buy 110$ AT-AT in 2014,Kashyyyk trooper BP,death star trooper BP and utapau trooper BP for 39$ and you will be at 149$ (149$with inflation is around 160$ now).Now thats 4 sets for 160 $ in 2014 or 160$ for 1 of them in 2020.
(Inflation is calculated according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index aka 149$ in 2014 would be 162.37$ in 2020).
In conclusion LEGO is making prices higher and quantity lower to the point that you are paying for a set and 3 battle packs(that they dont even have to make) and only getting a set.Meaning LEGO is getting 3 battle pack worth of money for free with 0 effort and production cost with each AT-AT purchase to make up for the lost money on sequels/solo and to bulk up their profits before contract renewal.
And the saddest thing is we will still buy it cause we love star wars.

@PreVizsla

This has been the first UCS vote :wink: The vote in 2009 was for a TRU exclusive and I can’t remember a poll in 2005 :wacko: 

This honestly sounds like a conspiracy theory. Why on earth would set votings be linked to license renewals? 

8 hours ago, Skyhammer said:

It was a mistake when TLG decided to do highly stylized mini-figures for TCW instead of trying to make them as movie accurate or “lifelike” as possible at the time...

We will see.  But they really need to let the lackluster stylized Clone Troopers die.  Please.  Don’t bring them back.  Ever.  What a waste.

I mean, some of us (myself particularly) really loved the clone wars designs, even the minifigs, though mostly the Clone Troopers. I've managed to amass several of the plain white phase I guys and a few of the 501st and 212th figures. I also have a decent amount of Rebels Stormtroopers, since they were quite easy to army build. I'm just saying, it wasn't a complete mistake. The animated style (especially phase II of the clones) really worked, and it's so different from the movies' design that they should be acknowledged. (Phase I alone had the T-visor that was way too wide, compared to AOTC).

That said, I know some really hated those figures, but the clones were far from the worst part.

2 hours ago, AManofNoConsequence said:

Considering the last great lag in Star Wars media produced a lot of great toys (2006-2015, not counting the clone wars cartoon), that's really not a sound conclusion to make. We're actually getting less in times of mass media, than we did when there was no media.

4 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Doesnt make any sense,LEGO is robbing us blind cause people hated sequels and didnt buy anything/enough.

And here I thought LEGO was the only disney star wars merchandise selling well these days, but then again they did offer us multiple landspeeders, snowspeeders and a headless AT-ST these last few years. Not gonna blame them for the inaccurate Ren's shuttle or FO concept art scuttly-thing, but then again they share the blame for the back to back T-70s and had more than a couple of blunders such as the constraction figures (at a local supermarket there is a lonely Finn from the TFA run sitting still in the toy aisle) and I guess the action battle sets.

Also, I agree the prices have risen quite a bit more than what inflation could warrant, be it disney tax or greed I don't know, but it saddens me thinking about sets such as 75052, also from 2014, which for 70$ included a wonderful cantina build (using some large pieces often thought to be the culprits for higher prices) , a Landspeeder, a moulded bantha and eight minifigures, some of wich also introducing new moulds.

4 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

And yet that still won't solve the situation, because the lower quality/quantity of sets makes most of us buyer more selective, so we buy less, so they make less money, so they make less sets for higher prices to recoup the losses and it seems that the only way to escape this vicious circle is to start buy sets which don't interest us (eg for me the majority of the sequels sets).

12 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Considering the last great lag in Star Wars media produced a lot of great toys (2006-2015, not counting the clone wars cartoon), that's really not a sound conclusion to make. We're actually getting less in times of mass media, than we did when there was no media.

It kind of makes sense. When the movies are out, there are plenty of more conventional toys like action figures available. When the movies arent out, Lego becomes a go to for kids into Star Wars.

57 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Now they are making overpriced sets in lower quantity to get that money back so they can tell disney how much money they are making during the meeting for contract renewal in 2022(probably why we could vote for ucs set anyway).
Ucs vote in 2020-renewal of licence meeting in 2022.
Ucs vote in 2009-renewal of licence meeting in 2011.
Ucs vote in 2005-renewal of licence meeting in 2006.
Only time LEGO cares about what we want is when their licence is on the line.( maybe we even get some 501st in barc speeder set)
For example AT-AT that was 110 $ is now 160$.You could buy 110$ AT-AT in 2014,Kashyyyk trooper BP,death star trooper BP and utapau trooper BP for 39$ and you will be at 149$ (149$with inflation is around 160$ now).Now thats 4 sets for 160 $ in 2014 or 160$ for 1 of them in 2020.
(Inflation is calculated according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index aka 149$ in 2014 would be 162.37$ in 2020).
In conclusion LEGO is making prices higher and quantity lower to the point that you are paying for a set and 3 battle packs(that they dont even have to make) and only getting a set.Meaning LEGO is getting 3 battle pack worth of money for free with 0 effort and production cost with each AT-AT purchase to make up for the lost money on sequels/solo and to bulk up their profits before contract renewal.

Personally I think this necessarily isn’t Lego’s fault, it’s more Disney’s fault. They probably ask for a lot of money back to use the license. Just look at Harry Potter another huge licensed theme and it’s night and day. Sets are cheap and at worst fairly priced and everybody is so happy on that thread it’s absolutely amazing. I don’t think it’s coincidental that the last good year was 2013 when Disney bought Lucasfilm. And Lego knowing they still had to make a bottom line probably looked through their history and picked to put out the most reliable good sellers to produce the most weatherproof strategy. That’s why we keep getting repeat after repeat ad nausea. Lego Star Wars not in the top 6 is inexcusable so to combat this that’s why I think we have more variety this year though at a premium. What I find interesting is the potential for Lego to renegotiate their license saying that the ST hurt the Star Wars brand, lowering its value in the next couple of years. Because Star Wars in 2013 isn’t what it Star Wars in 2020 is. Fandom is divided and the toy industry is taking the hit. Maybe then they can get better terms.

Edited by RODDY

23 minutes ago, RODDY said:

They probably ask for a lot of money back to use the license.

That's the biggest problem with LEGO Star Wars, though people really don't seem to realise just how greedy Disney is nowadays. Their goal is the biggest profit possible, which every company strives towards. But unlike the average company Disney doesn't care if it affects the fans and their wallets in a bad way.

And what @Per_SW said is totally true. When we buy less because we're being more selective LEGO loses profit --> LEGO makes less sets and charges higher prices for them to make up for lost money so they can keep the SW license --> because of the more expensive sets LEGO fans get even more selective --> vicious circle. 

They may not realise it yet, but there will come a day when Disney will realise they haven't just shot themselves in the foot..... they've cut it off completely.