MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

32 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I would much rather have a 21st Galactic Marine battle pack than a 501st

Definetely agree. I really want the104th, 327th and Bad Batch as well

14 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Well that’s really irrelevant about which minifigs we get. They might put 10 of them in potential set or just 1-2. 

See, you say that, but a lot of the folks that are going to be really upset when they don't get an entire Clone battalion with this set aren't thinking logically like that.  The most figures we've ever gotten in a non-playset UCS set was the Falcon, and that was both way more expensive than this set is going to be (that's a guess on my part, but I'm predicting a $250 set maximum), and all of the figures (at least the OT ones) were pretty much necessary additions.  Almost every other UCS set has been like 3-4 figs at the most.  I've legitimately seen people expecting to get Rex, Cody, Wolffe, Ahsoka, and like 10 more clones.  First off, that makes no sense, considering none of those characters are ever on a gunship at the same time, and second, there's approximately zero chance they base it primarily off of a TV show.  My prediction is that we get two clone pilots, perhaps a clone to man the guns on the side, and maybe a "named" character or two (eg a Jedi).  

Edited by Kit Figsto

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

See, you say that, but a lot of the folks that are going to be really upset when they don't get an entire Clone battalion with this set aren't thinking logically like that.  The most figures we've ever gotten in a non-playset UCS set was the Falcon, and that was both way more expensive than this set is going to be (that's a guess on my part, but I'm predicting a $250 set maximum), and all of the figures (at least the OT ones) were pretty much necessary additions.  Almost every other UCS set has been like 3-4 figs at the most.  I've legitimately seen people expecting to get Rex, Cody, Wolffe, Ahsoka, and like 10 more clones.  First off, that makes no sense, considering none of those characters are ever on a gunship at the same time, and second, there's approximately zero chance they base it primarily off of a TV show.  My prediction is that we get two clone pilots, perhaps a clone to man the guns on the side, and maybe a "named" character or two (eg a Jedi).  

Agreed. It’ll be based on the films, probably AOTC specifically so if any figures are included it’ll be one or two unnamed clones (probably Pilots) and maybe Obi-Wan or Anakin or something. Personally I think an ideal lineup would be two Clone Pilots, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padmé. Obviously that’s already a stretch. I would call that best case scenario. I’ll honestly be very happy no matter what figures are (or aren’t) included 

Just now, BrickBuiltYeti said:

i personally hope they update the clone pilot helmets to be accurate 

That would be amazing

I'm not surprised to see that the UCS Republic Gunship won, I have the 2013 version so it will be interesting to see what techniques this one will use being at least twice as big. Also does anyone else think that as it probably won't be minifigure scale that it won't have the opening doors function? I wouldn't be surprised if the doors were permanently closed as part of the building process instead of having an out-of-proportion troop deck.  

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

I don't see any point in figures when the set itself is going to be bigger than a system-minifigure scale set. It doesn't occur to me how one could put a minifigure in the cockpit then without it looking, ehm, I'd say awkward..ish

Just now, AndrewShun said:

I don't see any point in figures when the set itself is going to be bigger than a system-minifigure scale set. It doesn't occur to me how one could put a minifigure in the cockpit then without it looking, ehm, I'd say awkward..ish

The Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, Star Destroyer, TIE Fighter and Super Star Destroyer all came with great minifigures even though they aren’t minifigure scale. Same with tons of regular sets that are nowhere near minifigure scale and still included figures. Minifigures are always nice, especially for collectors. I have no interest in putting the figures in the cockpit or trooper deck. But it would still be nice to get minifigures to add to the collection

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Just now, AndrewShun said:

well the ucs tie fighter and super star destroyer had minifigs, but they wernt system scale or minifig scale

also the minifigs are usually really nice in ucs sets so that would be cool to have more super well done minifigs

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

They pretty much said it was going to be an Episode II version. I wonder if they’ll use the larger hinged dome piece from the Cantina and Ben’s Hut for the rounded side and wing cannons

That would be a nice part usage. I'm interested to see how they do end up making this, as well as it's eventual price point.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I would much rather have a 21st Galactic Marine battle pack than a 501st

hmm... i think it depends. I know alot of people want 501st more as it's more iconic, and the troopers are pretty expensive on bricklink and the like, but some of the #wewanta501stbattlepack people have destroyed our chances of getting one. 

17 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I agree. A number of the users of this forum voted for the gunship for the build, knowing full well a vote for the gunship doesn't mean it'll have 200,000 different clones with a million more on the way, but there are a number of people who will start something like #boycottgunship when it gets revealed and only has 2 figures instead of the 18 they wanted. I agree, I think it's most likely we'll see two pilots, a ranked p1 clone, and maybe jedi bob as the fan voted character

I am super happy, as I was definitely part of the Gunship gang, but hopefully the Nebulon and Bomber are soon to come as well.

Regarding figures, I am almost 100% certain we'll see a clone pilot (with accurate helmet. I put that in the suggestion box), 70% certain we'll see a clone trooper (with shaded printing i.e. imperial crew and arm printing), and only 30%-40% certain we'll get a Jedi (Bob, Yoda, etc.). Seeing as how most UCS sets nowadays only come with two figures, I'd rather it be a pilot and Jedi Bob than anything else. Something unique and special.

For those that wanted the other two, don't fret. I'm certain Lego knows the demand, at least for the Nebulon-B now. Just remember, roses are red, Lego is great,

"Around the survivors, a perimeter create!" :grin:

There are a lot of "hopes" and "wants" going on in the thread right now. That would be wishlisting. Let's keep this thread about discussion of sets.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Definetely agree. I really want the104th, 327th and Bad Batch as well

We already have the 104th, they came with the av-7 cannon in 2014

1 hour ago, AndrewShun said:

@Balrogofmorgoth @BrickBuiltYeti

My whole statement regards the process of integrating minifigures within a set that'd be significantly bigger than their scale. You guys are both a bit off

If you say so, but I think the point still stands that plenty of overscaled UCS sets have come with minifigures. I don’t see why this is any different. These sets are targeted at collectors after all.

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

7 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

They pretty much said it was going to be an Episode II version. I wonder if they’ll use the larger hinged dome piece from the Cantina and Ben’s Hut for the rounded side and wing cannons

they could also use the pieces that they used for the gyrosphere for the side cannons

2 hours ago, AndrewShun said:

In all honesty, I don't either, especially if it is bigger than minifigure scale.  The gunship is probably the only example of a non-speeder vehicle that they can actually make accurate at system-scale and have it reasonably priced, so I just don't see how they could make it bigger but keep it minifig scale.  Yeah, the troop bay area on the current models is a bit too small, but if you go any larger, the proportions of everything else will get totally out of whack.  It's just the nature of the medium itself, as well as the way that minifigures are scaled in proportion to LEGO bricks.  I mean, a system gunship retails for around $150 USD, whereas the UCS set probably will be between $200-250, just based on typical pricing for other sets.  I don't really see how they could keep it minifigure scale while adding enough "stuff" to it to justify a "UCS" price point.  For those reasons, I think it'll end up being a display-type model that's perhaps 1.5x the size of the current gunships.

I wonder if we’ll get any members of the Bad Batch in Clone Wars sets. They would be nice to get, but not at the expense of characters like Maul and Bo Katan. And there probably aren’t enough CW sets to include every important character from the new season. I just hope they don’t waste minifig slots on characters like Ahsoka’s new Coruscant friends

5 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I wonder if we’ll get any members of the Bad Batch in Clone Wars sets. They would be nice to get, but not at the expense of characters like Maul and Bo Katan. And there probably aren’t enough CW sets to include every important character from the new season. I just hope they don’t waste minifig slots on characters like Ahsoka’s new Coruscant friends

In an ideal world we'd get a Bad Batch set reminiscent of the Inferno Squad battlepack, but given how it's just one relatively minor arc in a season that appears to be mainly focused on Ahsoka and Mandalore, the fact that we never got a number of major characters such as Echo, Gregor, Yularen and Trench and the fact that it would require a number of new prints and molds - something that lego loves to skimp on at the moment - the likelihood seems low.

It is possible for the Gunship to come out this year? LEGO definitely had all three of the sets ready to produce, and the set was said to be one of the next UCS sets. Additionally, LEGO is giving out 3 UCS LAAT sets at random along with 3 75255 Yodas (seemingly at the same time). That set would be retired in a year wouldn’t it? Would LEGO give out a retired set? Maybe I’m off my hinges but it seems like LEGO accidentally pinpointed a relative release date.

18 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

It is possible for the Gunship to come out this year? LEGO definitely had all three of the sets ready to produce, and the set was said to be one of the next UCS sets. Additionally, LEGO is giving out 3 UCS LAAT sets at random along with 3 75255 Yodas (seemingly at the same time). That set would be retired in a year wouldn’t it? Would LEGO give out a retired set? Maybe I’m off my hinges but it seems like LEGO accidentally pinpointed a relative release date.

I seriously doubt they had "all three sets ready to produce". I think at best they had working models of each set that had made it to a relatively polished state. But things like QA/safety testing, finalization of new molds, minifig design, creation of instructions, packaging design, and slotting the set into production probably would not have begun yet... which collectively could easily push the set's release to May 2021 or beyond. Even at that point the buildable Yoda would either still be available or would have only just been retired. 

They also say in the announcement: "We will be revealing more information next year onwards, so stick around! " which seems a pretty clear indication the set won't be out in 2020.

1 hour ago, ood0 said:

In an ideal world we'd get a Bad Batch set reminiscent of the Inferno Squad battlepack, but given how it's just one relatively minor arc in a season that appears to be mainly focused on Ahsoka and Mandalore, the fact that we never got a number of major characters such as Echo, Gregor, Yularen and Trench and the fact that it would require a number of new prints and molds - something that lego loves to skimp on at the moment - the likelihood seems low.

don't forget my boi Fives! In all honesty IF there is a TCW season 7 set I think ahsoka and maul is all we can hope for.

Just now, jdubbs said:

I seriously doubt they had "all three sets ready to produce". I think at best they had working models of each set that had made it to a relatively polished state. But things like QA/safety testing, finalization of new molds, minifig design, creation of instructions, packaging design, and slotting the set into production probably would not have begun yet... which collectively could easily push the set's release to May 2021 or beyond. Even at that point the buildable Yoda would either still be available or would have only just been retired. 

And even if he does get retired, it can't be that difficult for lego to set aside 3 yodas.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

In all honesty, I don't either, especially if it is bigger than minifigure scale.  The gunship is probably the only example of a non-speeder vehicle that they can actually make accurate at system-scale and have it reasonably priced, so I just don't see how they could make it bigger but keep it minifig scale.  Yeah, the troop bay area on the current models is a bit too small, but if you go any larger, the proportions of everything else will get totally out of whack.  It's just the nature of the medium itself, as well as the way that minifigures are scaled in proportion to LEGO bricks.  I mean, a system gunship retails for around $150 USD, whereas the UCS set probably will be between $200-250, just based on typical pricing for other sets.  I don't really see how they could keep it minifigure scale while adding enough "stuff" to it to justify a "UCS" price point.  For those reasons, I think it'll end up being a display-type model that's perhaps 1.5x the size of the current gunships.

This is also what I'm thinking, we'll see it at larger than minifigure scale, probably with 2-4 figures.

I'm excited to see the final design, it should look pretty cool. And definately hoping we get a nebuleon eventually. (or a system scale bomber, but I don't care as much about a UCS one)

9 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

They also say in the announcement: "We will be revealing more information next year onwards, so stick around" which seems a pretty clear indication the set won't be out in 2020.

Oops, I missed that! Looks like you’re probably right then. It’ll be nice to know what set it is so far in advance!

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

don't forget my boi Fives! In all honesty IF there is a TCW season 7 set I think ahsoka and maul is all we can hope for.

If I had to guess I would say there will probably be two or three. I would guess maybe one centered around Obi-Wan, one centered around Anakin, and one centered around Ahsoka. Just a complete guess so I won’t go on about it. It just would seem to make sense