MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

For this wave, I’m honestly more interested in the possible minifigures than the sets themselves. I really hope I’m not disappointed but at the same time trying not to get my hopes too high

15 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Prior to all of the new movies it was common we saw future waves at NYTF.  There is a chance that, with no new movies on the horizon to spoil, we might see more at NYTF fair than we have the last 5ish years.

Over the last year or two LEGO has been pushing the set reveals closer to release dates to thwart overseas knock-off brands, who have demonstrated several times that they can actually beat LEGO to market with LEGO's own designs. It's possible LEGO will put those sets on display at NY TF, but even that doesn't guarantee that the rest of the world will see them, since Toy Fair is closed to the general public. Bear in mind those April/May sets were already shown to retailers in private some 6 months ago... so there's not that much reason to show them at Toy Fair again, except maybe for smaller stores who weren't allowed to see them last time around. LEGO is might just post the pics on their website or issue a press release instead.

1 minute ago, Peppybricks said:

@jdubbs yesterday’s leak was a great surprise, but when can we expect more leaked images like it? Do you know?

When they leak. :) 

(Not for a while. There's a reason this happened to leak.)

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Over the last year or two LEGO has been pushing the set reveals closer to release dates to thwart overseas knock-off brands, who have demonstrated several times that they can actually beat LEGO to market with LEGO's own designs. It's possible LEGO will put those sets on display at NY TF, but even that doesn't guarantee that the rest of the world will see them, since Toy Fair is closed to the general public. Bear in mind those April/May sets were already shown to retailers in private some 6 months ago... so there's not that much reason to show them at Toy Fair again, except maybe for smaller stores who weren't allowed to see them last time around. LEGO is might just post the pics on their website or issue a press release instead.

What was this reason?

i dont think knockoff companies can make the same set as lego just by looking at it - when lego releases dates and pictures(especially with complex builds),i think its instructions that are leaking and/or getting sold and lego needs to deal with that internally or the problem is with disney that doesnt want stuff leaked,wouldnt hurt anyone if people that saw new sets could just at least say which sets they saw like that German guy did for new Harry Potter sets.It also gives time for younger fans to save money idk take a dollar a day from their school lunch budget and buy 350 $ ucs gunship (assuming its gunship) set next year i dont think people aged from 3-25 had 800$ laying around for ucs falcon if someone announced it  week earlier,it also for me removes potential hype for new sets and i make some bad purchasing decisions,all these confidentiality documents and secrecy are kinda ridiculous, if someone wants to buy knockoff battlepack to save dollar and half he wont care which one comes first,neither will lego fans change their mind and get knockoff cause knockoff version came out first

Late

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Are you sure retailers actually saw the new sets already. Because I can't imaginge that none of them talked what they saw, which eventually would find its way into the internet.

6 hours ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

What was this reason?

I’ll let someone else disclose that. 

31 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

Late

Are you sure retailers actually saw the new sets already. Because I can't imaginge that none of them talked what they saw, which eventually would find its way into the internet.

Yes, they did, though only those invited to a private viewing room saw the Star Wars stuff. They’re under NDA not to disclose. It won’t stop all of them of course, which is how the info eventually will leak, as in:

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

if people that saw new sets could just at least say which sets they saw like that German guy did for new Harry Potter sets.

^^^ that guy broke an NDA to do so. Or whomever gave him the set info did. 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

i dont think knockoff companies can make the same set as lego just by looking at it

But they can, and they have. It may not have an identical build or internal structure, but it matches the external appearance well enough to cannibalize sales for LEGO, at least in those markets where knockoffs are readily available. 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

It also gives time for younger fans to save money

I’ve heard this argument before and it’s a pretty specious one. Not knowing what is coming does not prevent anyone from saving. In fact, not knowing what’s coming is exactly why you should save. You save for the pipe that might burst in your basement, the job you might get laid off from, the accident your car might get into, and yes, the really cool LEGO set that might someday be released. These sets are on shelves for years, in most cases. Plenty of time to save up for them even if you don’t start until the day they are released. (And no, nobody needs these things day 1.)

5 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

i dont think knockoff companies can make the same set as lego just by looking at it - when lego releases dates and pictures(especially with complex builds),i think its instructions that are leaking and/or getting sold and lego needs to deal with that internally or the problem is with disney that doesnt want stuff leaked,wouldnt hurt anyone if people that saw new sets could just at least say which sets they saw like that German guy did for new Harry Potter sets.It also gives time for younger fans to save money idk take a dollar a day from their school lunch budget and buy 350 $ ucs gunship (assuming its gunship) set next year i dont think people aged from 3-25 had 800$ laying around for ucs falcon if someone announced it  week earlier,it also for me removes potential hype for new sets and i make some bad purchasing decisions,all these confidentiality documents and secrecy are kinda ridiculous, if someone wants to buy knockoff battlepack to save dollar and half he wont care which one comes first,neither will lego fans change their mind and get knockoff cause knockoff version came out first

Just want to chime in and say while I was studying engineering in year 2 our machine drawing professor was Chinese and taught us how free hand drawing was used towards copying machine designs. Lego isnt the same obviously but automation systems can be far more complex than a lego build so it's not that far off to assume that a few views and sketches can give them a solid idea of the set build. 

Lego also did have alternate builds that were just pictures you could interpret to make yourself.

So I can see and back up Lego not wanting to put out sets or mini figures for knockoffs to copy. 

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Are you saying this is releasing earlier than the summer wave we've assumed, or that there were consequences for the guy who leaked it? (Or neither)

8 hours ago, jdubbs said:

But they can, and they have. It may not have an identical build or internal structure, but it matches the external appearance well enough to cannibalize sales for LEGO, at least in those markets where knockoffs are readily available. 

I’ve heard this argument before and it’s a pretty specious one. Not knowing what is coming does not prevent anyone from saving. In fact, not knowing what’s coming is exactly why you should save. You save for the pipe that might burst in your basement, the job you might get laid off from, the accident your car might get into, and yes, the really cool LEGO set that might someday be released. These sets are on shelves for years, in most cases. Plenty of time to save up for them even if you don’t start until the day they are released. (And no, nobody needs these things day 1.)

Yeah, usually the knockoff companies can produce stuff F A S T from only an image of the set. Of course, that's part of the reason they end up being truly awful in terms of quality. (also, that's a great paragraph about saving even when not in context of this.)

As a kid, I never knew what was coming until the catalog arrived at my doorstep, and though I imagine some children are tech-savvy enough to find the leaks, the majority of kids have no idea what's coming. But as you say the sets are on shelves for years, plenty of time for a kid to save up (or a christmas/birthday to pass.) Personally my siblings and I would all save up for a few sets and split the builds and figures.

The Grievous set leaked because it was the only set in the catalog that had a picture. Also, there is no Commander Cody.

It's weird that the video game is coming out this year and there are no TROS kits just for DO

4 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

The Grievous set leaked because it was the only set in the catalog that had a picture. Also, there is no Commander Cody.

Thanks for the info. So is it just a 212th trooper then? 

9 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

A Grievous készlet kiszivárgott, mert ez volt az egyetlen készlet a katalógusban, amelyben volt kép. Cody parancsnok sem létezik.

Where?

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Thanks for the info. So is it just a 212th trooper then? 

It's a new variant/outfit. Don't recall if it's 212th. 

Just now, Hoth Rebel said:

It's a new variant/outfit. Don't recall if it's 212th. 

So no chance it was just a placeholder for Cody then? That is a strange choice not to include him; going on the rumoured price point for the set, Cody would have been the main draw for a lot of people, myself included.

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

So no chance it was just a placeholder for Cody then? That is a strange choice not to include him; going on the rumoured price point for the set, Cody would have been the main draw for a lot of people, myself included.

It's always possible, but I'm 99.99% sure it's not. The price is indeed $/€80. 

Personally I think this is just another overpriced set with no desirable minifigures (expecting they will include the trooper in future, cheaper sets), but that's kinda what SW is for the last few waves. However there is something coming (regular set) that's going to satisfy a lot of people. 

Just now, Hoth Rebel said:

Personally I think this is just another overpriced set with no desirable minifigures (expecting they will include the trooper in future, cheaper sets), but that's kinda what SW is for the last few waves. However there is something coming (regular set) that's going to satisfy a lot of people. 

Which set? 

4 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

It certainly sounds like it going on that new information.

Ah you tease! Sounds good. :thumbup:

33 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

If it's really 80$ then no way it will sell. I mean at least X-wing being 80$ which was still a rip-off, made some sense. At least x-wing is super iconic, unlike Grievous starfighter. Why Lego thought this price will make this set sell, is beyond me. And they wonder why SW isn't selling as well as it used to. Overpriced sets is the answer!

34 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

If it's 80 euro and Cody isn't included I'm definetely not buying the set, even though I don't have the Soulless One yet. 

Yeah neither am I. I already own both new and old Grievous and tons of Obi-Wans. Cody would've been the only interesting thing. Still the set would be great (but pricey) for anyone who doesn't. However they're probably having a better deal buying the grievous combat speeder and duel on mustafar sets. At least it will save me some money for the other sets.

22 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

And they wonder why SW isn't selling as well as it used to

I'm sure they know what they're doing, someday they'll realise they've gone too far

They kind of shot themselves in the foot back when they redesigned the Phase II helmet, because they neglected to incorporate the „accessory holes“ that the Phase I clones had. If they did that, all they‘d need for an accurate Cody minifig would be an orange version of the visor, similar to the ARC trooper‘s dark red one from the 2012 battlepack. Now, they‘d need an entirely new mould, which is probably why they opted for a regular 212 clone rather than Cody himself :shrug_confused:

I hope there are some other new moulds included in the remaining sets to make up for this (Cardo and Kuruk by any chance?)

1 hour ago, Hoth Rebel said:

I don't think anyone can declare US pricing to be definitive at this point. I initially thought it was $80 as well (based in part on what Target listed it at) but then it turns out that Walmart lists this set a full $20 cheaper. And US pricing often does not line up with EU pricing (which is itself all over the map (pun intended!)). But given where it fits in the wave, the box size, and EU pricing, I do agree that $80 is entirely possible. 

Let's also bear in mind that LEGO has been slowly moving their pricing model to factor in 20% discounts at major retailers. This is a shift from how it used to be, when discounts were rarely seen on LEGO products, except on clearance. Several waves over the last year or so have been marked down 10-20% immediately upon release (though admittedly the current wave has yet to see discounts anywhere in the US). So, if the price is prohibitively high for you, wait a few weeks... it will come down.

And yeah, there is a bright spot to this wave. Or even two!