MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I said the same thing about the Fireball for Resistance. And yet it hasn't been made yet. I hope we get a Razor Crest, but there is no guarantee.

That's a good point. The Fireball seemed like it was guaranteed. Missed opportunity there. We can never really be sure about what Lego will do.

The thing I'm afraid of is that even if they designed the Razor Crest, they might have done so without knowledge of baby yoda. Putting a new figure in is one thing, but an unplanned new mold...

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Ok, let me get this clear. This year, we are getting two waves, advent calendar and two UCS sets:

April - Stormtrooper bust, Boba Fett bust, D-O and an unknown set (75274 and 75276-75278; all of them are $70)

May - UCS (75275)

June - wave of sets (75280-75291?)

September - Advent Calendar (75279)

Unknown - another UCS

And none of those sets are Mandalorian ones? Not even one set? No Clone Wars sets? What about TROS?

To clarify, there are several inaccuracies in your post. First, there are three (known) waves this year, like pretty much every other year (we already got the first wave, just a few weeks ago). Second, the first two sets you list for April are helmets, not busts... I make the distinction because people will assume these are like the Sith Trooper and Vader busts released over the last year, which they're not. Third: that April wave might be April, might be May, timed to coincide with D2C. Dunno. Fourth: You've listed the next wave as "June" which I do not believe to be correct. There is what is commonly called the "summer" wave coming in the second half of the year, which in LEGOspeak typically means September (2017), August (2018) or October (2019). I don't recall there being a June wave in the last several years, if ever. This wave also does not comprise the full range of set numbers you list. It is smaller than years past (as is the April/May wave), and the sets are mostly small-to-medium sized. 

As Robianco has already said, none of the known sets coming is from Mandalorian. And some are "prequel". You can interpret "prequel" literally, to mean "Prequel Trilogy", or you can interpret it loosely, to mean "Prequel-era". Up to you. Beyond that  I am not going to continue down the path of confirming or denying which sets or movies or eras any of these is from. It just leads to more questions, more confusion, more needless "the sky is falling" pronouncements.

But regardless of what is or isn't coming in the next two waves, there's always the possibility of something coming as a retail store exclusive, a D2C, etc. Hell, there could even be a super-secret fourth wave very late in the year (unlikely, but anything's possible.) But as of now it looks like, for the rest of the year, we're getting about half the number of system sets that we got over the corresponding period in years past. This is what I meant when I cautioned people to lower expectations. Anyone imagining a dozen or more sets, and multiple big sets, is going to be disappointed, unless something changes dramatically.

According to Libraria Rayuela, these are the price points for the upcoming sets (both waves):

- tbd ip 14: 72.64€

- tbd ip 15: 72.64€

- tbd ip 16: 84.15€

- tbd ip 17: 32.81€

- tbd ip 18: 32.81€

- tbd ip 19: 32.81€

- tbd ip 20: 49.92€

- tbd ip 21: 80.06€

- tbd ip 22: 100.59€

- tbd ip 24: 174.15€

14 and 15 must be the helmets and 16 should be D-O. This still leaves quite a few sets. In what way is this half as small a wave as others before it?

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

According to Libraria Rayuela, these are the price points for the upcoming sets (both waves):

- tbd ip 14: 72.64€

- tbd ip 15: 72.64€

- tbd ip 16: 84.15€

14 and 15 must be the helmets and 16 should be D-O. This still leaves quite a few sets. In what way is this half as small a wave as others before it?

If you read my post, you'll see I'm referring to System-scale sets, of which there are only about a half-dozen in the next two waves combined (three of the sets in your list are the helmets/buildable droid, and one is the advent, if I'm interpreting it correctly). By comparison over the same period in 2018 and 2019, we got 12-14 system-scaled sets each year (excluding the porg/yoda/advent/etc.). So, half.

FWIW I am fairly sure the prices in your list are inflated. Guessing someone did a conversion from a local currency to euros, which often doesn't result in accurate € pricing... esp. since EU pricing varies from country to country.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

If you read my post, you'll see I'm referring to System-scale sets, of which there are only about a half-dozen in the next two waves combined [...]

You‘re right, my bad :blush: 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

so, 3 $30-ish sets? Then a $50 set, then it just jumps to $80, $100, and around $150+?

If that's accurate (and assuming Lego-Freak's guess to be correct), I'm guessing a cruiser or other such large ship at the top, a fighter in the $80 slot, and some smaller vehicles in the $30 range. If most of them (around half) are PT-CW related, this might give us some clues as to what to expect.

Just now, ARC2149Nova said:

so, 3 $30-ish sets? Then a $50 set, then it just jumps to $80, $100, and around $150+?

If that's accurate (and assuming Lego-Freak's guess to be correct), I'm guessing a cruiser or other such large ship at the top, a fighter in the $80 slot, and some smaller vehicles in the $30 range. If most of them (around half) are PT-CW related, this might give us some clues as to what to expect.

The large one could be a Final Order Star Destroyer, that would be cool

3 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The large one could be a Final Order Star Destroyer, that would be cool

That's exactly what I was thinking. And we can finally get The Senate in all his Sith glory :grin:.

Just now, ARC2149Nova said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. And we can finally get The Senate in all his Sith glory :grin:.

I’d love to get the decayed version of Palpatine with the white eyes and black robes and hopefully also the reborn version with the red and black robes and Sith eyes in another set. Both in one wave are very unlikely but hopefully eventually we’ll have both versions

tbd ip 24 weight is 1,78 kg according to the website libreria rayuela when 75055 is 2,61 kg according to bricklink.
A final order Star Destroyer would be heavier than 75055 because of the underside weapon but maybe they use lighter parts or is a smaller version.
But it also can be a very different model.
tbd ip 24 dimensions and weight are close to 8039.

Edited by w219

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’d love to get the decayed version of Palpatine with the white eyes and black robes and hopefully also the reborn version with the red and black robes and Sith eyes in another set. Both in one wave are very unlikely but hopefully eventually we’ll have both versions

How about including both versions in the same set with a transformation feature? "Flip the switch to return Old Palpy to his former glory!" :laugh: A man can dream :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

How about including both versions in the same set with a transformation feature? "Flip the switch to return Old Palpy to his former glory!" :laugh: A man can dream :tongue:

That would be wonderful

22 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

That retailer marks up prices 10% above mainline EU pricing, on average. 75250 Pasana Speeder Chase, for instance, is sold there for 55,15€, whereas the suggested retail price is 50€/$40. So, if you're looking to estimate US prices, you'll want to adjust most everything down correspondingly. 

23 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

That retailer marks up prices 10% above mainline EU pricing, on average. 75250 Pasana Speeder Chase, for instance, is sold there for 55,15€, whereas the suggested retail price is 50€/$40. So, if you're looking to estimate US prices, you'll want to adjust most everything down correspondingly. 

So like $25, $40, $70, $90, and $130-$150 ($150 being my initial lowball estimate) at lowest? Still not terrible. I think we could still see a Final Order Star Destroyer, maybe a final duel between Rey, Kylo and Palpatine.

If we're not getting Mando or Clone Wars sets (jury's still out on the latter), then I forsee an excellent Fall 2020/Winter 2021 at least. They can't hold out on us that long.

41 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

So like $25, $40, $70, $90, and $130-$150 ($150 being my initial lowball estimate) at lowest? Still not terrible. I think we could still see a Final Order Star Destroyer, maybe a final duel between Rey, Kylo and Palpatine.

If we're not getting Mando or Clone Wars sets (jury's still out on the latter), then I forsee an excellent Fall 2020/Winter 2021 at least. They can't hold out on us that long.

More like that, most likely. Until NY Toy Fair, US prices are mostly guesstimates. And there is no “Fall 2020“ wave as far as anyone knows. Just the April/May wave of 4 sets and the 2H 2020 (“Summer”) wave, ie the sets priced above. 

7 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

If you look up the definition of fact you will find it does not say something heard from someone who supposedly was somewhere who may or may not be a faker. :laugh:

This is true, self-contradictory statements are rarely accurate on account of contradicting themselves. 

7 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I said the same thing about the Fireball for Resistance. And yet it hasn't been made yet. I hope we get a Razor Crest, but there is no guarantee.

I'd say there's enough of a difference between the relative popularity and type of show resistance and mandalorian are to increase the razor crest's chances, but looks like we're not getting it this year anyway.

6 hours ago, jdubbs said:

To clarify, (snip)

As Robianco has already said, none of the known sets coming is from Mandalorian. And some are "prequel". You can interpret "prequel" literally, to mean "Prequel Trilogy", or you can interpret it loosely, to mean "Prequel-era". Up to you. Beyond that  I am not going to continue down the path of confirming or denying which sets or movies or eras any of these is from. It just leads to more questions, more confusion, more needless "the sky is falling" pronouncements.

Thanks for clarification, I was wondering why the helmets were suddenly busts, nice to know that's not the case.

No mando sets is sad, but unless this is a TPM wave finally getting some more prequel sets is nice...and there is a glimmer of hope for TCW sets.

34 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

And there is no “Fall 2020“ wave as far as anyone knows. Just the April/May wave of 4 sets and the 2H 2020 (“Summer”) wave, ie the sets priced above. 

Okay so that's the three waves. Well again, it probably won't be any later than next December/January for more Mando sets.

33 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Anyone know why there is only going to be around 6 system scale sets for April/Summer? 

Is the Star Wars line really struggling? 

I have no inside knowledge on this, but I can state that in my local area there always seems to be stock of really old sets on the shelves of most stores that carry Lego.  Generally still sitting there at full MSRP as well.  As an example, the 75218 X-Wing set (Biggs & Luke) was still sitting at full price after Christmas in some of my local stores, even after Lego discontinued it on their own site and reduced the price to $79.99 (Canadian) from $99.99.

Take that for what you will.

Cheers

5 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Anyone know why there is only going to be around 6 system scale sets for April/Summer? 

I forgot if it was this thread or a different one, but someone did mention that SW was the 7th best selling line in 2019.  For as big of a license as it is, it should definitely be top 5 at worst (I can see City and Creator being ahead of it, just because those are the most "classic" Lego products, but it really should be outselling any other license considering the popularity of the movies and size of the SW fanbase).  A few people have noted that part of the issue probably lies in the fact that toys from the sequel films in general just aren't selling that well.  Lego's obviously focused primarily on sets from the new films for the past 4-5 years, which is understandable, but I think the divisive opinions to a lot of the films has led people to not spend as much money on toys for a movie they didn't enjoy all that much.  That could be part of the problem.  The other might be that this past year, the sets largely received a "meh" reaction.  The 20th Anniversary sets were good in theory and the sets themselves actually looked pretty good, but the prices were pretty ridiculous.  The Slave I especially was like $20-30 more than it needed to be, I'm guessing mostly because they stuck in Leia and a "20th Anniversary" logo on the box.  The Action Battle sets were cute and I still might pick up the Endor one, but a lot of people that don't have kids aren't going to really be the target market for those. 

Basically everything else that either wasn't (A) Sequel trilogy related, (B) Targeted more at kids (the Juniors sets, which I actually did kind of like, or Action Battles), or  (C) 20th Anniversary was on the much smaller side of things.  I don't know if the sales were reported in terms of dollar amount or number of sets, but if it was dollar amount, I can definitely see why.  The only big sets were Vader's castle (Which most people seemed to like, but isn't that iconic of a location to where it's flying off the shelves), the Droid Gunship (which most people dislike), and the AT-AP (again, not a big fan favorite or anything).  The OT stuff was all smaller scale (Death Star swing, Death Star Cannon, etc).  Some people were saying "It's because they keep releasing the same stuff over and over again!" but I think it was just a mix of stuff that didn't have universal appeal and stuff that DID have potential being overpriced. 

10 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I seriously doubt that. SW has always been one of LEGO's biggest themes and I don't see that changing. We're getting smaller waves this year because there isn't a movie to push products for, plus they're trying something new with the helmets/busts. I wouldn't worry as nearly every time a big theme gets a smaller wave in an off year, the forums are inundated with "the sky is falling" type posts which are usually unfounded. 

Edited by ToaDraco

10 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Like someone said for 2019 it was 7th best selling theme(its not even sure its 7th cause i am pretty sure they only showed top 6 selling themes and star wars wasnt there so it can be worse than 7) and they had movie to push for sets,when i look at shelfs in local stores they are full of sequel and action battle sets that dont interest lot of people(in my country at least),while city and harry potter stuff are flying of the shelfs like star wars used to,(mandalorian battle packs are sold out though but thats 2020),i personally decided to vote with my wallet and skip entire 20th anniversary cause LEGO didnt celebrate phantom menace anniversary and i had no interest in original trilogy or sequel sets so just on me lego lost like 100$ per month plus birthday/holiday gifts that i would spend/ask for star wars,instead i got few harry potter sets,2007 mtt and bunch of minifigs on bricklink/ebayi also saw ton of my friends getting harry potter sets instead of star wars for past 2 years.

But its not the end of the world ,lego star wars had bad 2019,they failed with buildable figures in 2018 but 2020 mandalorian battle packs sold out everywhere,people are buying duel on mustafar like crazy and there are rumors about this years prequel sets,there are no forced waves for sequels that arent selling,we will have fan voted ucs set in 2021 etc.
only thing that will really suck are these rumors of no mandalorian and clone wars sets this year

A thought I just had:

Assuming that price list is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, and assuming that there aren't any other sets LEGO is hiding from us, this will be the first year since, I believe 2013, that we've only gotten two battle pack sets in a year rather than the four we've had for the past 6-7 years.  I'm intrigued by that, because it seems like if they pick the right scenes, BPs are basically guaranteed sellers.