MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

47 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Don't expect things to improve in 2020... it's looking like they're going to get worse before they get better.

How so? More 4+ and Action Battle sets on top of unnecessary remakes I take it? But there‘s not that much left they could rehash, all of the obvious candidates are still on shelves :laugh: 

And there‘s multiple sets based on TROS and The Mandalorian coming out... I‘m not trying to jinx it, but it can‘t be as bad as you‘re making it out to be. Unless there‘s no Baby Yoda, in which case we riot :damn:

Edit: Apparently, there aren‘t any sets on display at Nuremberg... What fresh hell is this? ...Not that it would make much of a difference since descriptions of all the licensed sets are prohibited anyway

Edited by Lego-Freak

57 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I'm not sure I would blame it on the sequel trilogy sets. 2019 was a pretty cr@p year for LEGO Star Wars all-around. The 20th anniversary sets were (all but one) a resounding dud, the action battle sets didn't seem to appeal to kids as well as expected, and the year was overrun with rehashes of existing builds that had only barely left shelves a few years prior. LEGO missed a huge opportunity to cash in on the success of the Mandalorian but clearly didn't have enough faith in the show to invest in more than one small set (which clearly required minimal effort on LEGO's part) and a battle pack. 

Don't expect things to improve in 2020... it's looking like they're going to get worse before they get better.

Ah no, I'm not saying it all has to do with the sequel trilogy, just that nothing from those movies sell (for Lego and other toy companies). I agree that all the other stuff that came out is just as dull as the new movie sets. I don't think it's Lego's fault that they didn't made enough Mandalorian sets as Disney was playing their cards close to the chest so maybe they were only allowed to make 1 set. You can also see this with other toy companies that there wasn't enough on the shelves during the release and Christmas season, because I guess Disney wanted to avoid spoilery things. 

I also don't think this year will be great. Maybe the recent poll for the UCS changes things a bit, but that's probably a one-off. To be fair Lego probably (quite sure) has to put out a lot of stuff regarding upcoming movies instead of making OT/PT sets. So I don't necessarily blame them although I do wish they update their minifigs to a new standard with each figure having at least printed/molded legs and the more expensive sets having arm printing. 

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Edit: Apparently, there aren‘t any sets on display at Nuremberg... What fresh hell is this? ...Not that it would make much of a difference since descriptions of all the licensed sets are prohibited anyway

They weren't on (public) display at the UK Toy Fair either. Invite-only closed room. And I don't believe they were shown publicly at the European toy fairs last year either. Perhaps the April wave will be displayed at the NY Toy Fair late next month? 

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

And there‘s multiple sets based on TROS and The Mandalorian coming out...

If you're basing that statement on the list of summer sets floating around a few weeks back, it was bogus...

1 minute ago, jdubbs said:

If you're basing that statement on the list of summer sets floating around a few weeks back, it was bogus...

It wasn‘t a list, a EB member (can‘t remember their name) hinted at that without specifying how many sets there are for those two properties, only that there were less Mando than TROS sets :classic: Or was this the information you’re referring to?

2 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

It wasn‘t a list, a EB member (can‘t remember their name) hinted at that without specifying how many sets there are for those two properties, only that there were less Mando than TROS sets :classic: Or was this the information you’re referring to?

In that case I'm not going to speculate on what info they had (or thought they had). And I can't get into specifics other than to say 2020 looks pretty meager for anyone collecting system-scale sets.

Just now, jdubbs said:

And I can't get into specifics other than to say 2020 looks pretty meager for anyone collecting system-scale sets.

In terms of the amount of sets or in their quality? Or both?

I mean, didn‘t the initial list contain 11 sets on top of the spring wave? They can‘t all be duds :tongue:

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

What should we hold our breath for? :sick:

2020 looks like it might be a really good year for customs. And MOCs!

3 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Don’t hold your breath for Mando sets 

That almost sounds like there won‘t be any Mando sets at all... They can‘t be that thick, can they? 

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

In terms of the amount of sets or in their quality? Or both?

I mean, didn‘t the initial list contain 11 sets on top of the spring wave? They can‘t all be duds :tongue:

How many different speeders are there in the Lego Star Wars universe? We're due for some more remakes surely ?

1 minute ago, BacktoBricks said:

How many different speeders are there in the Lego Star Wars universe? We're due for some more remakes surely ?

Landspeeder, Snowspeeder (:sick:), X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Droid Gunship, AT-ST and AT-AP sets are all on shelves right now, so there at least can‘t be any remakes of those :tongue: 

Edited by Lego-Freak

11 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

What should we hold our breath for? :sick:

Hold it until they give in and actually let you have that big ice cream with the sprinkles and the flake

I can‘t recall a wave ever having been described this ominously... Is it really that bad? Sure, 2019 had a lot of remakes and 4+/Action Battle sets, but there never was an aura of resignation as there is now :grin:

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Landspeeder, Snowspeeder (:sick:), X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Millennium Falcon, Droid Gunship, AT-ST and AT-AP sets are all on shelves right now, so there at least can‘t be any remakes of those :tongue: 

I'm calling it ... Gungan Sub, Flash Speeder, Naboo Starfighter, AAT. (I actually love the prequels lol). But then again, what about the droid attack on the wookiee? Homing Spider Droid. Not had one since 2016 after all. ?

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

I can‘t recall a wave ever having been described this ominously... Is it really that bad? Sure, 2019 had a lot of remakes and 4+/Action Battle sets, but there never was an aura of resignation as there is now :grin:

I know right, it feels like we should all go into hibernation. Then again, it has piqued my curiosity ... Like you say, what could be that bad?

3 minutes ago, Robianco said:

Hold it until they give in and actually let you have that big ice cream with the sprinkles and the flake

Nah it's too cold in here already.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Nah it's too cold in here already.

Just burn something non essential. It’ll warm up in no time

Pretty bummed out that we’re to supposedly expect another lacklustre lineup of sets. Given the swathe of new content from Rise of Skywalker, Mandalorian, Fallen Order, and TCW, I was hopeful we’d get a decently robust summer wave :sad:

Edited by Kaijumeister

I’ll very disappointed if we don’t get Clone Wars sets. Clone Wars and Mandalorian sets were really the only SW sets I was looking forward to this summer. If we don’t get any, then I’ll be really bummed but at least my wallet will be happy. More money for Harry Potter

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

If there‘s no Baby Yoda this year, they shouldn‘t be surprised if the theme did as badly as last year. That‘s basically a money printer they‘d be passing on. And no, the rumoured BickHeadz won‘t cut it :tongue:

21 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’ll very disappointed if we don’t get Clone Wars sets. Clone Wars and Mandalorian sets were really the only SW sets I was looking forward to this summer. If we don’t get any, then I’ll be really bummed but at least my wallet will be happy. More money for Harry Potter

No TCW sets coming I’m almost 99% positive 

I just don’t understand their mentality here. It’s obvious what fans want. I don’t get it. I’ll wait until we get more specifics before completely losing hope but this does not bode well at all

Well that's worrying. But not that surprising as last jedi sets are still warming the shelves in my local stores, full price. So do those of tros and those 4+ or something sets. At least Solo did reasonably well in my local stores (probably because they where mostly a fresh breath of air). And the Mandalorian was basically gone day 1, but that's only 2 small sets. I didn't really expect anything this year since it takes a while for them to change their strategy, but they should really start making some changes.