MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yeah this is most likely the reason. A last minute designed set just to cash in on his success as quickly as possible. Like you said, they probably started to design the set around the time baby yoda was announced, sadly meaning a real set with him is probably still at least a year away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if TLG pulled out all the stops to rush at least one ‘real’ Mando set with baby Yoda minifig before Christmas 2020 (please be ‘The Razorcrest’). It’s amazing what the promise of guaranteed huge financial gain can do to speed up things up. Also, the internet is a fickle beast and baby Yoda mania will invariably wane with time before the release of season 2 so the longer it’s delayed will translate to lower sales. I can’t imagine the bean counters at TLG wanting that to happen.

Honestly I think the voting selection is really lousy for PT set fans. The gunship is MUCH better suited to minifig scale. An ARC-170 or Venator would’ve been better choices.

I’m not going to vote because I’m in no position to buy UCS, but if I were I’d probably vote for the Nebulon B, only because it’s the last fairly wide-appeal AFOL OT ship that hasn’t yet been made that could translate well into UCS scale (Mon Cals and GR-75 wouldn’t work very well IMO). The bomber doesn’t appeal to me at all because I’ve never been a TIE fan (take that, gatekeeper).

That being said, it is well past time for Prequel, Sequel and Anthology UCS to be made.

Edited by Bartybum

44 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I’m not going to vote because I’m in no position to buy UCS, but if I were I’d probably vote for the Nebulon B,

Then vote. Do you think all people voting for a gunship will actually buy it? Don't let the gunship guys win.

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Then vote. Do you think all people voting for a gunship will actually buy it? Don't let the gunship guys win.

Hell no, it's not for me to vote. I have zero desire to fuel the bonfire of people at each others’ throats over toy collectibles.

Edited by Bartybum

14 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

So is it too optimistic of me to hope for a Razorcrest with Mando, Baby Yoda and at least one other character from the show in time for Christmas?

Also, do we think LEGO was told about any of the later stuff in the show? Because 

Reveal hidden contents

Gideon’s folding-wing TIE Fighter is basically a shoo-in to be made as a set. Preferably with a battle-damaged stormtrooper or two to back him up, and either Mando, Cara or IG-14 as the ‘token good guy’. 

I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to release the Razorcrest in time for Season 2

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The gunship is MUCH better suited to minifig scale.

UCS sets can be minifigure scale too. I'd love to see a gunship that's studless and more accurately shaped than the playsets, uses more advanced building techniques, and comes with a stand. But it doesn't need to be much bigger than 7676.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, Navy Trooper Fenson said:

It's very disingenuous to write this post and then name a character from fan fiction, not canon.

Okey, maybe favourite character is a bit of exaduration, but if I say coolest then are you happy?

If it ends up being the Gunship, I'll probably still get it, especially if it comes with Cody or some other exclusive clones or Jedi. I'm just wondering if a bigger size will really be better for it. The most recent one was close to minifig scale, so if this is UCS, let's not kid ourselves, it'll be an oversized model. I don't know if it will benefit too much from that. Sure, there will be better shaping and probably the side guns will be better, but it doesn't seem like it has that much more detail to justify it.

8 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

UCS sets can be minifigure scale too. I'd love to see a gunship that's studless and more accurately shaped than the playsets, uses more advanced building techniques, and comes with a stand. But it doesn't need to be much bigger than 7676.

The problem here is that, given the available parts (and the very limited sizes of round and curved parts in particular), LEGO can't just pick any scale and build to it... sets often end up being slightly under (or over) minifig scale because that's the best they can do given the constraints of existing molds. So if the previous System Gunship was, for instance, 90% of minifig scale, it's not like they'll necessarily be able to size it up 10% to make it exactly minifig scale; the next achievable size up might be 125% of minifig scale, if that's what the parts allow. In this case, the dome pieces used for the ball turrets could be a really limiting factor, or the parts needed for the engines and cockpit canopies. Sure, they can develop new molds if absolutely necessary, but that's expensive and they've shown an unwillingness to do this even when there are sets crying out for it (System Snowspeeder, I'm looking at you.)

If I had to guess, I'd say a UCS Republic Gunship duplicates the previous System set scale and adds a secondary build, more detail, and a few more figs to get to a $200 ticket (probably marketed as a "Master Builder Series" set in this case), or else gets scaled way up beyond minifig scale and comes with just one or two token figures. Either way, some contingent of fans will scream bloody murder that it wasn't whatever they wanted. 

Edited by jdubbs

8 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

It definitely can, however, I think that only applies to ships that are pretty large like the Falcon, Slave 1, and the Imperial Lambda shuttle. But for ships like the X-Wing it'll be too small to be made in minifig scale for a UCS set. And the gunship is not that large of a ship in minifig scale so it'll have to be larger than minifig scale to be considered UCS. 

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The problem here is that, given the available parts (and the very limited sizes of round and curved parts in particular), LEGO can't just pick any scale and build to it... sets often end up being slightly under (or over) minifig scale because that's the best they can do given the constraints of existing molds. So if the previous System Gunship was, for instance, 90% of minifig scale, it's not like they'll necessarily be able to size it up 10% to make it exactly minifig scale; the next achievable size up might be 125% of minifig scale, if that's what the parts allow. In this case, the dome pieces used for the ball turrets could be a really limiting factor, or the parts needed for the engines and cockpit canopies. Sure, they can develop new molds if absolutely necessary, but that's expensive and they've shown an unwillingness to do this even when there are sets crying out for it (System Snowspeeder, I'm looking at you.)

If I had to guess, I'd say a UCS Republic Gunship duplicates the previous System set scale and adds a secondary build, more detail, and a few more figs to get to a $200 ticket (probably marketed as a "Master Builder Series" set in this case), or else gets scaled way up beyond minifig scale and comes with just one or two token figures. Either way, some contingent of fans will scream bloody murder that it wasn't whatever they wanted. 

Right, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.  The system scale Gunship's two biggest limitations, in my opinion, are that the interior bay isn't wide enough, and the doors don't fully close.  However, if you make it too wide, then you need to make it taller and longer, and then it's no longer minifigure scale, as those two proportions are already pretty ideal.  I think it would be more likely that they scale it up and sell it for $300-350, because if it were to be minifigure scale, it might be more likely that they release it like the Tantive IV, where it may as well be UCS, but it's technically not.  

13 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to release the Razorcrest in time for Season 2

I'm sure they'll have something out soon. Anything with mandalorians sells like crazy, and if they add the child to the mix the set's sales would be huge. 

4 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Exactly. The most likely scenarios here are like you say, either we get something minifigure scale with some extra stuff thrown in, or something much larger but with no good figures. And whichever it is (or if the gunship doesn't win), some people are going to go absolutely bonkers about it because it wasn't made exactly to their specifications.  Personally, I think we'll either get the nebuleon or a larger gunship, in both cases having like 2 figures.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

something much larger but with no good figures.

But then again, the point of UCS is the ship, not necessarily the figures.

17 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

But then again, the point of UCS is the ship, not necessarily the figures.

100% agree, sorry if i miscommunicated but that was my point. If we get a large UCS gunship but we don't have ahsoka/rex/cody/etc, people are going to complain that "they voted for the set and how dare it not include (character)"

Again clarifying, I in no way mean that most gunship fans, or even most gunship fans who want it at least partially because they think it could include one or more of the above characters, will react this way. A vocal minority will, of course, because there are people who have the ability to complain about any situation, but the same could be said for some nebuleon-b fans if it doesn't come with nien numb, or TIE bomber fans if it doesn't have, say, sloane. (No one's really connected to the bomber that we haven't gotten yet, so I just did the most prominent Imperial I could think of that we haven't gotten yet.)

The new UCS stuff is all fine & dandy, but do we still not have any clue about what's going to be in the May wave? (Aside from the two busts) - I feel like we're a bit more in the dark now than in the past, but to be fair they spoiled us by releasing official images of a lot of the Jan 2020 wave ahead of time...

2 hours ago, CasperTheGhost said:

I feel like we're a bit more in the dark now than in the past [...]

That’s not just a feeling, it’s the objective truth :wink: This is the very first time we enter the toy fair season blindly, i.e. without a single set list for any of the 2HY releases. Kind of exciting tbh

On 1/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, m4st3rt3ch said:

Couldn't the same be said for the Nebulon B? At this stage we have no idea how many people have actually voted in this poll, or how many of them would buy any of these sets.

28 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

Couldn't the same be said for the Nebulon B? At this stage we have no idea how many people have actually voted in this poll, or how many of them would buy any of these sets.

I think it's quite obvious that a lot gunship votes will come from the fans of that youtuber and his audience aren't afols. Nebulon is a ship that is famous between afols. 

Since afols are buying the majority of Ucs sets nebulon would probably sell better. I even think most of the fans won't even like the gunship as a ucs because it won't include 10 figures and be minifigure scale. 

1 hour ago, Mizyaz said:

I think it's quite obvious that a lot gunship votes will come from the fans of that youtuber and his audience aren't afols. Nebulon is a ship that is famous between afols. 

Since afols are buying the majority of Ucs sets nebulon would probably sell better. I even think most of the fans won't even like the gunship as a ucs because it won't include 10 figures and be minifigure scale. 

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m an afol, and I picked the Gunship because I’ve always loved it and I would love to see a scaled up, highly detailed version of it, I don’t care if it’s minifigure scale or not. I would rather it be bigger to be honest. I don’t care if it includes zero figures, I just love the Republic Gunship and I think it would be spectacular in UCS scale. The Nebulon has never been all that interesting to me. It’s not even about OT vs PT. If an AT-AT had been in the running it would have gotten my vote. 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

It occurred to me that the question Lego ask of “which minifigure would like to see included” in the set you vote for could have a major influence on people’s decision. For example, I went with the Nebulon B Frigate but thinking in terms of minifigs left me scratching my head. IMO there are so many more potentially cool minifigs for the Republic Gunship, which is why I think it’s more suited to a regular playset but some might vote for it as a UCS set based on potential minifigs. I also find it strange they say minifigure and not minifigures...is this just a translation thing? Or do they just want to identify a single fan favourite?

@Mizyaz What youtuber was that? I can't find videos from anyone other than the usual Lego fan channels with a quick search.

On another note, this whole vote and the discussions around it seem to be taking the nature of modern politics. Always looking for something to blame for the result of the vote, rather than accepting that people may want different things to you. It's somewhat pathetic really.

Personally, I want the Gunship to win, and if it does it will be my first UCS set no matter what scale it ends up being. I'd be fine with the Nebulon B winning too, but there's no chance I'd ever buy it. Does that make me less of a Star Wars fan? Going from this and other threads on the internet, it seems like it.

9 hours ago, CasperTheGhost said:

The new UCS stuff is all fine & dandy, but do we still not have any clue about what's going to be in the May wave? (Aside from the two busts) - I feel like we're a bit more in the dark now than in the past, but to be fair they spoiled us by releasing official images of a lot of the Jan 2020 wave ahead of time...

Helmets, rather than busts. A buildable D-0 droid in the manner of BB-8/Porg/Yoda has also been reported publicly I believe, as well as one unnamed system set. Guessing they will be revealed publicly at New York Toy Fair in 3 weeks.

Beyond that, I think people would do well to keep expectations low for the rest of the year.

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

That’s not just a feeling, it’s the objective truth :wink: This is the very first time we enter the toy fair season blindly, i.e. without a single set list for any of the 2HY releases. Kind of exciting tbh

Well, yeah. That’s kind of what happens when the folks with all the info get tired of being second-guessed, pack up and take their toys elsewhere. :(

Edited by jdubbs

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m an afol, and I picked the Gunship because I’ve always loved it and I would love to see a scaled up, highly detailed version of it, I don’t care if it’s minifigure scale or not. I would rather it be bigger to be honest. I don’t care if it includes zero figures, I just love the Republic Gunship and I think it would be spectacular in UCS scale. The Nebulon has never been all that interesting to me. It’s not even about OT vs PT. If an AT-AT had been in the running it would have gotten my vote. 

Not everyone is so exceptional as you are

1 hour ago, AndrewShun said:

Not everyone is so exceptional as you are

I’m just trying to prove a point that not everyone who wants a Gunship is a whining teenager. I don’t know how I possibly could have offended anyone