MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I’m awfully disappointed by the minority of TIE Bomber fans. I absolutely adore the vehicle, and I think it would look fantastic in UCS style. Oh well. In 2009 Home One was released, the year after, the Slave One (minus a landing pad). Palpatine’s Arrest wasn’t released until 2012, but it was released. I’m sure we’ll see all of these sets in the next 3-4 years based off that 2009 vote. 

On a side note, all three of those 2009-2012 sets had fantastic figures. Does anyone remember if minifigures were part of the 2009 vote too?

Edited by Peppybricks

2 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Not unless you actually went through and counted, since many comments mention both.

Are you saying it's a tie (bomber)?:laugh_hard:

53 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

On a side note, all three of those 2009-2012 sets had fantastic figures. Does anyone remember if minifigures were part of the 2009 vote too?

I don't think they were. But still, it's very interesting they included it this time around.

I'm torn.  On one hand, the only one of these ships that I'd actually consider purchasing would be a Republic Gunship, but on the other hand, I'd rather get a system-sized set, because it's closer to the actual scale of those (in reality, I think all that it would need to be is just a tad wider to be totally in scale), so I might vote for Nebulon B.  

I've never bought a UCS set and I wouldn't buy any of the three options in UCS anyway, so I won't vote.  Here's my opinion: the Gunship is very large and complex, so it couldn't be done at a true UCS level of detail and difference from the minifig versions at the $200 price point.  I'd rather just see another minifig release.  The medical frigate can't be made to work with minifigures and is very doable with detailed greebling and a sturdy structure at the $200 price point, but it's a very ugly ship that I don't need to see in Lego.  The Tie Bomber would work very well as a companion to the three previous UCS Tie Fighters, so I think it's the best candidate despite the relative lack of novelty.  I'd rather see a UCS A-wing than any of the above, though.

4 hours ago, Supersonic said:

The 2013 Gunship was a pretty great model already. I get the appeal of a UCS version of the vehicle, I'd love to see more PT UCS sets in general, but the Nebulon B is probably impossible as a minifig scale set - f we ever get an official version of it, this is the chance.

The TIE bomber isn't that interesting honestly. They could do it in the style of the current minifig TIEs and it would be pretty large, and detailed, already.

Completely agree with everything you say here. It's important to note that this isn't a slight against the PT to vote nebuleon-b, but actually the smart choice for people who want a good, minifig-scale republic gunship with lots of figures to vote nebuleon-b. It's a win-win, and believe me, if we end up getting UCS nebuleon-b and system scale gunship, I'll be buying both

4 hours ago, Hokierespect said:

The correct answer is Tie Bomber. I hope the unspoken masses are not vocalizing their votes in this page...anything but the Bomber would be incorrect. 

Do you have any further reasoning behind this, or just like the design? Not trying to hurt your argument, most SW ships are bought bc people like the design, just wondering if there's anything else.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Completely agree with everything you say here. It's important to note that this isn't a slight against the PT to vote nebuleon-b, but actually the smart choice for people who want a good, minifig-scale republic gunship with lots of figures to vote nebuleon-b. It's a win-win, and believe me, if we end up getting UCS nebuleon-b and system scale gunship, I'll be buying both

I put in my comments for why I voted for the UCS Nebulon B Frigate that it was also because I’d like a mini-fig scale Gunship.

The last time there was a poll for UCS SW sets in 2006 we didn't really get the other options.

Electronic AT-AT won while R2-D2 was realeased many years later, looking completely different and the other two options are still a mystery how they even ended up in a direct to consumer poll: UCS brown Vulture Droid and a FX series Medical droid from ROTS in the same size as the R2-D2 statue. Just imagine they would have sold a statue sized Medical droid before R2-D2!

Also don't understand how they still don't consider an UCS AT-AT. I hope it's just a Ghostbusters HQ situation where they have it in production already due to the anniversary which would explain why they turn to the consumers asking which direction the line should take now: either deeper into the "blink or you will miss it" OT ships or finally commit to some Prequel vehicles.

It's a mean trick question how they only give one Prequel choice when they could have easily given 4 options for equality. It seems like they have already made up their mind and rather want to run deeper with the OT despite the PT giving more diverse build options than just fighters and cruisers of which there won't be any more good choices unless they at least diversify into pure EU territory with stuff like TIE Defenders.

I kinda that they have chosen a LAAT/I as the Prequel representative as it comes closest to a fast hero ship like the Falcon in that era but a Venator would have made much more sense as it can pull double duty for Prequels and TCW, lends itself better to the UCS scale and even Tarkin had a huge model of it sitting in his office in Rebels! I dislike how this means the LAAT/I would probably end up in scale to the old 90s Technic figures (which I have zero problems with when they pack in some clones in that style) because it runs into the same problem that the Y-Wing and X-Wing have but I think I might finally have enough emotional attachment to a model to not care that it is not system scale and can appreciate the added level of detail possible in such a scale. 

At least they have chosen a ship with actual meaningful screentime unlike the Nebulon-B and TIE Bomber that I feel like should not clutter the list of official releases if we can only get a maximum of 2 UCS sets per year which most of the time isn't met due to Master Builder location sets. I mean, no hard feelings but anyone who really wants a Nebulon-B should just bricklink that one great looking MOC that even got a chinese bootleg. And doesn't a UCS TIE Bomber practically design itself by combining aspects of the previous 3 TIEs? Now a system scale TIE Bomber is something that's desperately missing because of the amount of sets that are released in figure scale each year. Star Wars UCS is really too far behind to now consider ships that had seconds of screentime and only really play roles in comics, books and games. Finish off the OT with A-Wing, AT-AT, maybe a new Death Star and really only if it's that necessary a Mon Calamari Cruiser but after that there are about 30 Prequel vehicles that all top things like the Nebulon-B in screentime and story importance.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:27 AM, GilbertoAguilera101 said:

Still taking the easy way of “what will sell” rather than giving us all the new exciting stuff we’ve seen on screen

I don't think that they even know what sells good anymore. Tatooine set upon Tatooine set despite this location missing the deciding "War-factor" you come to expect from Star Wars. It's admirable that they want to give people some nice looking location sets finally like Obi-Wans hut and Lukes bathtub but I always imagined we would get exciting locations first like a Mustafar lava plant and Obi-Wans home would be something to be released in 2036 or something. Instead something exciting sounding like a lava plant was relegated to two differently colored Podracer fins on a stick for 20 bucks.

Are they selling literal dollhouses and compatible cars because Lucasfilm demands girl focus? I really don't understand. My supermarket now has the problem where they are selling two different versions of Lukes Landspeeder and they sit side by side on the shelf. I doubt Landspeeders even sell well anymore and if they do I ensure that practically every single other set idea would sell just as good. 

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Do you have any further reasoning behind this, or just like the design? Not trying to hurt your argument, most SW ships are bought bc people like the design, just wondering if there's anything else.

Uhhhh, the internet. And common sense. 

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think I would have agreed with you there a decade ago but seeing how Y-Wing, X-Wing, Falcon and Slave One all have had figure scale and UCS versions available with overlapping lifecycles or right one after another in the last few years Lego obviously doesn't bow to that nonsensical rule anymore.

It really is a hidden question of "Do you want background OT ships or main Prequel ships?"

After the huge failures that were the only previous Prequel UCS sets, General Grievous statue and Obi-Wans Jedi Starfighter we have to send a sign to Lego that their failure was not due to their association with the prequels but rather because they weren't in demand at all compared to the other missing vehicles which were at the time the many main OT fighters and cruisers whose previous releases were either incredibly outdated already or have never been made at all.

Even if the "no two of the same vehicles" rule still applies, a minifigure scale Gunship might already be in the pipeline for this summer. The last two fan polls were for products that released 1 to 2 years after the poll, which means enough time for a minifig scale Gunship to end its lifecycle before the UCS version releases.

Just now, Navy Trooper Fenson said:

It really is now just a question of "Do you want background OT ships or main Prequel ships?"

That is exactly the question!  If your answer is not 'OT (background/foreground/whatever) then you have made the wrong choice.  Other answers legitimately bring into question your authenticity as a Star Wars and a Lego fan.  

12 minutes ago, Hokierespect said:

That is exactly the question!  If your answer is not 'OT (background/foreground/whatever) then you have made the wrong choice.  Other answers legitimately bring into question your authenticity as a Star Wars and a Lego fan.  

Well you’re wrong there and obviously a very disagreeable person so this might not be the place for you.

1 hour ago, Hokierespect said:

It makes more sense to call the people who have diggen deep inte the background obscurity of the SW universe for real fans than the opposite, since they likely have spent more time and aquired more knowledge. But if course, its up to every other person how to brand themselves in this matter.

My favourite SW character is for example Dave Texas, far far away from being a central character

Interesting to see Lego asking fans for their input again - hopefully this continues with the more collector-oriented sets in future.

Personally I voted for the Gunship, as it's one of my all-time favourite vehicle designs and previous minifig-scale sets have had to make compromises that a UCS one wouldn't. A decently sized and detailed UCS Gunship really would be an amazing representation of one of the more beloved Star Wars vehicles, so I hope to see it win!

I do definitely see where the Nebulon-B crowd are coming from though, as it's certainly an interesting (although more obscure) design that's unlikely to see release in any other form. Hopefully sooner or later Lego will get all the sets from this poll done, but I suppose it may depend on how polarised the results end up being.

1 hour ago, Hokierespect said:

I don't think liking any SW material other than the original trilogy and wanting merchandise for it makes you any less of a Star Wars fan.

I think it has been an issue for quite some time now how there's a lack of anything other than original trilogy stuff. First with the prequels and now with the Sequels as well. I think this poll is the perfect opportunity to show that we want more than just OT stuff. And I don't mean that it should win, even if it doesn't, at least they'll see a lot of people also voted for the gunship. However we should avoid massively voting for something just to send a message, and for when it eventually releases not to buy it. That will send mixed signals. Something similar happened with a Hasbro figure contest a few years ago. People wanted more representation for the EU characters and thus wanted to send a message by massively voting for Jaina but with no interest of actually buying figures. Hasbro took notice and basically eliminated her from the polls. So voting for the gunship just to send a message won't really help. I rather lose the poll than the set selling terribly.

42 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I see the kids have had too much sugar again

?

53 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I don't think liking any SW material other than the original trilogy and wanting merchandise for it makes you any less of a Star Wars fan.

I think it has been an issue for quite some time now how there's a lack of anything other than original trilogy stuff. First with the prequels and now with the Sequels as well. I think this poll is the perfect opportunity to show that we want more than just OT stuff. And I don't mean that it should win, even if it doesn't, at least they'll see a lot of people also voted for the gunship. However we should avoid massively voting for something just to send a message, and for when it eventually releases not to buy it. That will send mixed signals. Something similar happened with a Hasbro figure contest a few years ago. People wanted more representation for the EU characters and thus wanted to send a message by massively voting for Jaina but with no interest of actually buying figures. Hasbro took notice and basically eliminated her from the polls. So voting for the gunship just to send a message won't really help. I rather lose the poll than the set selling terribly.

That's interesting about the Hasbro poll. Fortunately I think there is enough desire for the Gunship that it would sell well regardless. I personally voted for the Gunship because yes I did want to signal to Lego that we need more prequel era sets, but also because I would be interested in buying the set.

Most likely we won’t receive one of those UCS sets from this vote till next year. There’s still plenty of time for lego to release a regular gunship. I’ll be voting the gunship since I like the design far more then the nebulon. However, I do see the desire for the nebulon as well.

26 minutes ago, Hokierespect said:

You are all way off topic, please get back on topic and take your thoughts to the "vote on the next USC set" on this site.  

Aye aye, minimod!

32 minutes ago, Hokierespect said:

You are all way off topic, please get back on topic and take your thoughts to the "vote on the next USC set" on this site.  

Please don't minimod.

3 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

My favourite SW character is for example Dave Texas, far far away from being a central character

It's very disingenuous to write this post and then name a character from fan fiction, not canon.

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I don't understand your point, the Hasbro poll with Jaina has been somehow messed with but only after the "open" period in which everyone was allowed to name the figure he wanted, so saying Jaina was purely voted for in spite is incorrect as her even gaining enough mentions to end up in the final vote was a hard enough battle as is. The Jaina figure in question has been a good seller, just not as good as Revan and that in spite of Hasbro tricking people by giving her a Jedi robe outfit in the polls pictures but going for a generic black overall in the final product which isn't as familiar an outfit for the character and especially makes even less sense in a line that can't support 1/12 scale X-Wings to go along with a pilot uniform.

The manipulated mass vote made Hasbro go from fan polls open to any and all characters to fan polls with a handful of pre-selected choices of which several had already been planned to go into production regardless, including the newest alleged winner Dagobah Training Luke, effectively making the whole show a farce and Lego apparently uses the same disingenuous tactic by obviously wanting to know what fans want from the line through this poll but only giving very few options, all of them highly uncomfortable, railroading us into a choice of products that all sound very unappealing and not at all like what you would expect a fan to chose.

This whole Lego poll is somehow linked to the Brickset poll about future SW UCS sets from a few months back, I assume. I have seen people there mention TIE Bombers a weird amount of times but almost always with a prefix that it makes more sense to release a figure scale version before as even the Bomber fans admitted there are better choices which they listed before the TIE Bomber. 

If Legos marketing team would actually have rewatched the movies this decade they would have realized the glaring holes in the line-up and know exactly what they should be making for the next UCS sets. I am sure a Venator isn't on this list because they would want to make it another 700$ set when it would make more sense to make is smaller compared to the ISD from a lore standpoint and for people that want an ISD but not pay as much for it. But they probably constructed an argument that offering two different UCS Star Destroyers at the same time would negatively impact the sales of both sets but somehow offering two or three X-Wing at the same time was apparently ok just a few years ago.

Just now, Navy Trooper Fenson said:

The manipulated mass vote made Hasbro go from fan polls open to any and all characters to fan polls with a handful of pre-made choices of which several had been already in production, effectively making the whole show a farce and Lego apparently uses the same disingenuous tactic by obviously wanting to know what fans want from the line but only giving uncomfortable options, railroading us into a choice of products that all sound rather unappealing.

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.  'Disingenuous tactic?'  Are you so butt hurt about a poll for toys that you throw out incorrect descriptions of marketing campaigns in an attempt to make yourself feel special?  Weak!  Very weak, you should consider a personal time-out from the internet for a couple of weeks, spend some time with real humans.  And before you try to say I should do the same, you are wrong.  I do not need whatever you think because you are wrong.

You arent familiar with what he is talking about.  There was "ballot stuffing" in the thousands of votes that Hasbro realized and talked about after the fact.  It was publicly addressed.  So relax...