MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

On 1/11/2020 at 12:19 PM, BacktoBricks said:

All of the new Star Wars sets from the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020 have used the old style capes. I haven't bought any sets from other themes so I can't really comment as to whether this seems to be a definitive change across the board or a SW thing. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I definitely prefer the soft capes too.

I don't have the newer capes, but if those old capes are the same material used as the ones in the Nexo Knight sets (2016-2017), those are really stiff. 

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't have the newer capes, but if those old capes are the same material used as the ones in the Nexo Knight sets (2016-2017), those are really stiff. 

They are, after a quick Google I found this picture showing both capes:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor lego capes old and new

A few years ago they started making capes in a new softer material (Thor) which were far more flexible, posable and durable. The old capes (Loki) are really stiff and crease very easily. As far as I know most people prefer the soft cape with the only complaint being the attachment point (some people think the piece of cape situated between the torso and head is too thick) but for some reason lego went back to stiff capes for the TFF wave. I'm not a fan of the old capes at all so I really hope lego will make the change back to soft capes soon.

Spoiler

Sidon Ithano / The Crimson Corsair was apparantly a member of the ground crew attacking the Steadfast during the Battle of Exegol and also appeared at the celebration on Ajan Kloss. With him now appearing in TFA, TROS, Resistance and comics do you guys think he'll pop up in a set somewhere in the future?

On 1/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, Guyon2002 said:

I know, it's really bugging me. The softer cape has better quality, more possibilities for posing and doesn't get any creases over time. I'll take the soft cape over the stiff cape any day

I agree, but I have a theory as to why. The mando type capes are a different shape than the normal ones and it;s possible that lego for whatever reason just cant make that style cape in the softer type. The same apparently goes for printed capes like lando's from the newest falcon.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:
  Hide contents

Sidon Ithano / The Crimson Corsair was apparantly a member of the ground crew attacking the Steadfast during the Battle of Exegol and also appeared at the celebration on Ajan Kloss. With him now appearing in TFA, TROS, Resistance and comics do you guys think he'll pop up in a set somewhere in the future?

Spoiler

Nien never did, so unfortunately no.

In almost any case the new capes are far superior. The old capes are basically just paper. On characters like Vader or Kylo Ren, it makes a huge difference.

I could imagine though that the new capes are not stable enough for kids, as the neckholes can get thinner and rip over time. Or maybe its a cost issue - like the setback on dual molding and arm printing.
I actually considered purchasing the new Y-Wing but the usage of old paper cape took my motivation away.

On another note: From both reviews as from my own recently purchased sets: I have had never so much issues with ripped pieces than in the last year. I have some figures for 20 years now and the arms rarely ripped or actually broke apart. Now I have so many new figures with rips in arms (3 cases of arms just breaking apart when putting in the attatched hands) and even torsos with rips on the sides. Is Lego's quality decreasing in general?

Here's an idea that Lego would never do:

2 sets from Episode IX

Kylo Ren vs the Knights of Ren - Includes: Light Side Kylo, Final 2 Knights of Ren ($20)

Rey vs Palpatine - Includes: Rey, Palpatine (IX), Palpatine (Dead) - This set could be the throne on Exegol, along with the hanging medical contraption ($40)

Honestly, I can see them putting them all into one set rather than 2 separate ones.

The new capes are still being used in both the DC Collectable Minifigures line and the new Marvel Superheroes sets. No idea why they aren't being used in the latest Star Wars sets but they haven't been phased out completely.

2 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

In almost any case the new capes are far superior. The old capes are basically just paper. On characters like Vader or Kylo Ren, it makes a huge difference.

I could imagine though that the new capes are not stable enough for kids, as the neckholes can get thinner and rip over time. Or maybe its a cost issue - like the setback on dual molding and arm printing.
I actually considered purchasing the new Y-Wing but the usage of old paper cape took my motivation away.

On another note: From both reviews as from my own recently purchased sets: I have had never so much issues with ripped pieces than in the last year. I have some figures for 20 years now and the arms rarely ripped or actually broke apart. Now I have so many new figures with rips in arms (3 cases of arms just breaking apart when putting in the attatched hands) and even torsos with rips on the sides. Is Lego's quality decreasing in general?

The cape style of the snowtrooper in the y-wing was your motivation to buy it?

I've had the opposite you've reported, the only arms/torsos I've had break are from at least 10 years ago, with the exception of the thug from rey's speeder. (which was probably due to the box I accidently dropped on him)

1 hour ago, wesker said:

The new capes are still being used in both the DC Collectable Minifigures line and the new Marvel Superheroes sets. No idea why they aren't being used in the latest Star Wars sets but they haven't been phased out completely.

I think it depends on cape shape/paint,print, whatever you'd call what lando and phasma have

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I agree, but I have a theory as to why. The mando type capes are a different shape than the normal ones and it;s possible that lego for whatever reason just cant make that style cape in the softer type. The same apparently goes for printed capes like lando's from the newest falcon. 

LEGO can make non-standard or printed capes in the spongy material, though: ThorValkyrieRoyal Guard

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

LEGO can make non-standard or printed capes in the spongy material, though: ThorValkyrieRoyal Guard

Idk why but I've never noticed the Royal Guards had two-colored spongy capes, up till now the only excuse for giving us a stiff cape was 2 colors or printing

Edited by Guyon2002

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The cape style of the snowtrooper in the y-wing was your motivation to buy it?

I've had the opposite you've reported, the only arms/torsos I've had break are from at least 10 years ago, with the exception of the thug from rey's speeder. (which was probably due to the box I accidently dropped on him)

I think it depends on cape shape/paint,print, whatever you'd call what lando and phasma have

Even me, the few arms and torsos I have broken have been from before 2010. Dont know if its a matter of quality or age.

Not really a fan of the flex capes, only bought one set with it and the material around the neck is way to thick imo. I like the old style more, but it certainly isn't perfect either. 

We are getting off topic guys. Please be careful not to wish-list or run off on tangents.

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Forgot about those. 

It may have been a budget thing, for a pack to introduce 4 new helmet colours, as well as 7 new torso/leg prints, it's probably wiser to go with the (assumably) cheaper cape. Not to say they couldn't do it though. 

I still think the mando pack is one of the greatest sets we've had in a long time.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, BrickBuilder1 said:

does anyone know if there are any rumors for clone wars season 7 sets? I t comes out in like a month

No rumours, but there's a possibility. 

4 hours ago, BrickBuilder1 said:

does anyone know if there are any rumors for clone wars season 7 sets? I t comes out in like a month

I'd imagine there has to be at least one or two.  Since I think the trailer has shown

The Siege of Mandalore

, they'd be crazy not to put together at least one set based on that scene considering the minifigures and stuff.

13 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'd imagine there has to be at least one or two.  Since I think the trailer has shown

Reveal hidden contents

The Siege of Mandalore

, they'd be crazy not to put together at least one set based on that scene considering the minifigures and stuff.

That's indeed the Siege of Mandalore, though it isn't really a spoiler. We've known the last episode arc would be Mandalore for almost a year and the siege itself appeared in the Ahsoka novel so those who read it already know exactly what's going to happen

47 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

That's indeed the Siege of Mandalore, though it isn't really a spoiler. We've known the last episode arc would be Mandalore for almost a year and the siege itself appeared in the Ahsoka novel so those who read it already know exactly what's going to happen

We have to get at least one set from this

27 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Agreed, it's about time we got Bo Katan and a normal TCW Ahsoka

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Agreed, it's about time we got Bo Katan and a normal TCW Ahsoka

In honestly I think there almost too many SW related shows running right now and they compete in lego attention. If it would be up to me, I how lego focus more on the movies because there is still so much not covered yet.

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

As long as they make the eyes on the minifigs normal, not like past TCW minifigs.

58 minutes ago, BrickBuilder1 said:

As long as they make the eyes on the minifigs normal, not like past TCW minifigs.

Those didn't age well, they look horrible.

43 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Those didn't age well, they look horrible.

Agreed, I get what they were going for but it didn't work.

5 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

In honestly I think there almost too many SW related shows running right now and they compete in lego attention. If it would be up to me, I how lego focus more on the movies because there is still so much not covered yet.

There are some things from the movies we need, but I think that not only do the mandalorian and TCW have more important missing things (the razorcrest, the literal main ship from mando for instance), but that many of them would make better-selling sets than stuff we're missing from the films. Look, I want more RO and solo sets too, but the main things we're missing there are figures. Anything with baby yoda, especially if it;s the razorcrest, will sell great, and as for TCW, we know that anything that so much as mentions mandalorians will sell like hotcakes, much less sets from a show that's going to have about a third of the episodes about the seige of mandalore.