MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

D-O set piece count finally made it's way (thanks to childish_landino_chronicles on Instagram). I was hoping it will be something like Yoda set - 1700+ pcs for $100, and I mean just a big build for a relatively low price. It's not tho.

519 pcs for $70.

That is so disappointing, because we know it has no minifigs and just this one droid. So it's 519 pcs and a small droid for $70. Oh man, this is overpriced.

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

D-O set piece count finally made it's way (thanks to childish_landino_chronicles on Instagram). I was hoping it will be something like Yoda set - 1700+ pcs for $100, and I mean just a big build for a relatively low price. It's not tho.

519 pcs for $70.

That is so disappointing, because we know it has no minifigs and just this one droid. So it's 519 pcs and a small droid for $70. Oh man, this is overpriced.

Number of pieces isn’t everything. Taken alone it’s a pretty poor metric. 

What’s the bet that a good portion of those pieces go to making the wheel out of tread pieces? I hope he’s in scale with R2 and BB-8 but I think he’ll turn out too big for that, maybe he’ll be more in line with the porg? More display models are always a good thing but it sounds like waiting for a discount might be the best bet with this one. 

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

True. Take, for example, bionile sets, battle paks, or any set with lots of large panel parts.

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

519 pcs for $70.

That's not neesarily true, see above.

The mandalorian battle pak is already out of stok on lego's website, amazon, target, et, and at all the physial stores near me. :cry2:

Edited by Mandalorianknight

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

30 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

True. Take, for example, bionile sets, battle paks, or any set with lots of large panel parts.

The mandalorian battle pak is already out of stok on lego's website, amazon, target, et, and at all the physial stores near me. :cry2:

If a set with a nice build (with big pieces or not) and few minifigures has a price/pcs ratio like this, it's okay. BUT if a set with no minifigures and a single build has a price like this, it's not okay.

Let's stop defending Lego - Star Wars sets are overpriced like hell. There are a few that are a great deal (Battle Packs, Microfighters, duel sets), but most (this year's 2 ANH sets and 2 TROS sets) are overpriced. At least they look great, Marvel sets for example are not overpriced, but most of them are bad, so it's not THAT bad.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I got mine from Barnes and Noble

5 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

What’s the bet that a good portion of those pieces go to making the wheel out of tread pieces? I hope he’s in scale with R2 and BB-8 but I think he’ll turn out too big for that, maybe he’ll be more in line with the porg? More display models are always a good thing but it sounds like waiting for a discount might be the best bet with this one. 

Agreed, the scale will determine whether it is a purchase or not.  If its not on scale with ucs r2 and bb8 it will be an easy pass.

It might be if a bunch of those 500 pieces are tread pieces.

Edited by lego the hutt

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Marvel sets for example are not overpriced

You can't tell me the Hulk Helicopter set is even close to being priced fairly, it's price is SW level bad

Edited by Guyon2002

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I got mine from Barnes and Noble

I managed to get some on target's website, but they likely won't arrive until the ninth :/

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

If a set with a nice build (with big pieces or not) and few minifigures has a price/pcs ratio like this, it's okay. BUT if a set with no minifigures and a single build has a price like this, it's not okay.

Let's stop defending Lego - Star Wars sets are overpriced like hell. There are a few that are a great deal (Battle Packs, Microfighters, duel sets), but most (this year's 2 ANH sets and 2 TROS sets) are overpriced. At least they look great, Marvel sets for example are not overpriced, but most of them are bad, so it's not THAT bad.

You're missing the point. The D-0 set will likely have a fair amount of large briks, just based on it's shape. That drives the prie to produe it up, so therefore the ost will be higher.

15 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I managed to get some on target's website, but they likely won't arrive until the ninth :/

You're missing the point. The D-0 set will likely have a fair amount of large briks, just based on it's shape. That drives the prie to produe it up, so therefore the ost will be higher.

But this set has no minfigures. From a set with no minifigures, I expect a build that matches the price - even if a 519 pcs set has some big pieces, it isn't worth $70 price with no minifigures.

56 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You can't tell me the Hulk Helicopter set is even close to being priced fairly, it's price is SW level bad

That's the only one - 148 pcs for $10 (Iron Man Mech), 152 pcs for $10 (Thanos Mech), 226 pcs for $20 (Speeder Bike), 477 pcs for $40 (Avengers Truck), 152 pcs for $10 (Spider-Man Mech), 234 pcs for $20 (Spider Motorcycle) and 371 pcs for $30 (Jet vs Mech).

On 1/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

519 pcs for $70.

I suppose it's gonna be small set, and I can't imagine much funcionality other than moving head and turning wheel, nothing too special to justify that price - bb-8 has at least iconic "thumbs up" feature. And yes, piece count alone is very bad metric, so I can't wait for pictures. But I do think that lot of Star Wars sets are overpriced.

16 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

But this set has no minfigures. From a set with no minifigures, I expect a build that matches the price - even if a 519 pcs set has some big pieces, it isn't worth $70 price with no minifigures.

That's the only one - 148 pcs for $10 (Iron Man Mech), 152 pcs for $10 (Thanos Mech), 226 pcs for $20 (Speeder Bike), 477 pcs for $40 (Avengers Truck), 152 pcs for $10 (Spider-Man Mech), 234 pcs for $20 (Spider Motorcycle) and 371 pcs for $30 (Jet vs Mech).

European prices on Licensed (which includes Speed Champions/Harry Potter as well) can be a lot worse, especially in NL

For just 2020 , Spider Jet , Mysterio , Speed Champion Jaguar set = €40 ($30 in US)

Mustafar Duel $20 vs €27.

Spider-Man vs Doc Ock $20 vs €30

Many other sets are €5-€10 higher then the US $ price, especially in the 20-50 price range, even a €5-10 difference is a lot

Couple years ago a $30 Star Wars set was €50 here somehow.

I know US has it worse on City and Chinese new years etc (Temple Fair is $120 vs €100) but still most licensed seem cheaper there.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

European prices on Licensed (which includes Speed Champions/Harry Potter as well) can be a lot worse, especially in NL

For just 2020 , Spider Jet , Mysterio , Speed Champion Jaguar set = €40 ($30 in US)

Many other sets are €5-€10 higher then the US $ price, especially in the 20-50 price range, even a €5-10 difference is a lot

I know US has it worse on City and Chinese new years etc (Temple Fair is $120 vs €100) but still licensed seem cheaper there.

I really don't get why are european prices higher, it does not make any sense at all.

14 minutes ago, Darth2-D2 said:

I really don't get why are european prices higher, it does not make any sense at all.

It's the inconsistent part that doesn't make sense to me.

Why is 2020 Snowspeeder, $20/€20, and then Mustafar $20 vs €27, and some $30/€30 sets like Obi Wan hut/Landspeeder , while other $30 sets are €40 here.

And I've seen the opposite for City sets for the US where they are more expensive, like 2020 Racing Cars / Police Highway Arrest = $30 vs €20  and the Icecream truck somehow is $20 / €20.

Anyhow, don't want to go too offtopic as this is SW forum.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

Why is 2020 Snowspeeder, $20/€20, and then Mustafar $20 = €27, and some $30/€30 sets like Obi Wan hut/Landspeeder , while other $30 sets are €40 here.

Exactly. That's why I think these sets are just waay overpriced, if they can cost less in other parts of the world. And then suddenly Harry Potter advent calendar is 40$, but 25-30€. No sense at all. They could overprice them less obviously :D 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:59 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

True, though he makes less sense due to him being in a set, and not the games.

Some mando funkos have leaked and the blue and green mandalorians from the battlepak both show up. I'm assuming the merhandising people just had images of the mandalorian ostumes in better lighting and they atually were present in the show.

I noticed 2 of the mandalorians in the show, it's great to know that they're not completely made up as I originally thought, but 

Spoiler

they were there only for a second in the third episode - the blue one (in mando covert) and the one with jaig eyes on the helmet (fighting alongside Paz)

On 1/1/2020 at 5:56 AM, MKJoshA said:

I noticed at least 3 of the 4 mando battle pack helmets in episode 8 of The Mandalorian

Hide contents

In the pile of mando armor.

I noticed similar, but not the same there - but I need to rewatch it.

Edited by Darth2-D2

2 hours ago, Darth2-D2 said:

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Why is 2020 Snowspeeder, $20/€20, and then Mustafar $20 vs €27, and some $30/€30 sets like Obi Wan hut/Landspeeder , while other $30 sets are €40 here.

And I've seen the opposite for City sets for the US where they are more expensive, like 2020 Racing Cars / Police Highway Arrest = $30 vs €20  and the Icecream truck somehow is $20 / €20.

2 hours ago, Darth2-D2 said:

Exactly. That's why I think these sets are just waay overpriced, if they can cost less in other parts of the world. And then suddenly Harry Potter advent calendar is 40$, but 25-30€. No sense at all. They could overprice them less obviously :D 

Remember that pricing isn't just straight currency conversion. For one thing, European prices include VAT baked into the sticker price (as much as 20%) whereas US prices have sales tax (typically 7-9%) added on top of the sticker price. Licensing fees may be different in different regions, and shipping/import charges are going to be all over the map (haha) depending on where a set is produced. Creator Expert sets, for instance, are almost always "cheaper" in the EU than in the US, which I suspect is because they are manufactured primarily in the Billund factory. Certain sets that have limited appeal or smaller production runs may only be produced in one factory (e.g., Mexico) and then shipped everywhere else, resulting in lower prices in North America than in the EU. (This may also explain why some sets retire earlier in some markets than in others, if it's no longer cost-effective to continue importing them).

In addition, LEGO has most likely been inching up their UK prices in anticipation of Brexit, so that they don't have to do a massive across-the-board price hike once/if Brexit finally happens. And LEGO could easily be experimenting with variable pricing on some sets (testing a higher price on, say, a Landspeeder in the EU and a cheaper price on the same set in the US) given what they expect demand/volume to be (if, say, Landspeeders historically sell better in the US than the EU), and what they think the market can bear.

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Mustafar Duel $20 vs €27.

I know US has it worse on City and Chinese new years etc (Temple Fair is $120 vs €100) but still most licensed seem cheaper there.

I noticed this year that the European prices are so much worse. I live in Europe, and like why are the sets priced 5€-10€ more? Euro is worth more than a dollar, it makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I noticed this year that the European prices are so much worse. I live in Europe, and like why are the sets priced 5€-10€ more? Euro is worth more than a dollar, it makes no sense.

It does, more european countries have higher taxes or merchandise to pay for a more covering welfare system, so not strange at all.

Just now, Sneakguest said:

It does, more european countries have higher taxes or merchandise to pay for a more covering welfare system, so not strange at all.

The inconsistency in Europe still doesn't make sense. 

Why would one $30 set in the US cost £25 in the UK or 25 Euros, but another $30 set costs £40? Taxes don't account for that. 

This is not the forum for talking about price metrics. Please stay on topic.

I received my shipment today, so far I've only got my sith trooper packs built, but dang, the sith jet trooper figures look REALLY good, I'd even say better than the sith trooper figures. (the minifigures that is, not the actual character designs.)

47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I received my shipment today, so far I've only got my sith trooper packs built, but dang, the sith jet trooper figures look REALLY good, I'd even say better than the sith trooper figures. (the minifigures that is, not the actual character designs.)

I ordered Ben’s hut and a second Sith Trooper battle pack from Lego to get the Ben Kenobi polybag. They haven’t gotten here yet but I did get a Sith Trooper pack from B&N and it is fantastic. I still have to say the Mando pack is better though, the figures look even better in person, they’re fantastic 

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I ordered Ben’s hut and a second Sith Trooper battle pack from Lego to get the Ben Kenobi polybag. They haven’t gotten here yet but I did get a Sith Trooper pack from B&N and it is fantastic. I still have to say the Mando pack is better though, the figures look even better in person, they’re fantastic 

Good to hear, I've got three on the way.

I read some article claiming the green mando from the battlepack (the writer saw the funko pop of it)  could be (I highly doubt this is true but just to be safe)

Spoiler

the daughter of boba fett

, which again I think there's like 0% chance of, but it did make me think, we could totally see them in season 2