MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

December 26th release date is interesting.  It’s January 1 in the US.  Our prices are still the best (not trying to brag, it’s just unfair that way), but ours, too, are creeping up.  

In 2006 an X-Wing cost $50

In 2012 an X-Wing cost $60

In 2015 an X-Wing cost $80

In 2020 an X-Wing will cost $90

I don’t care how many pieces it has, all those ships are about the same size, and $90 is way too much for a small starfighter.  

2 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

December 26th release date is interesting.  It’s January 1 in the US.  Our prices are still the best (not trying to brag, it’s just unfair that way), but ours, too, are creeping up.  

In 2006 an X-Wing cost $50

In 2012 an X-Wing cost $60

In 2015 an X-Wing cost $80

In 2020 an X-Wing will cost $90

I don’t care how many pieces it has, all those ships are about the same size, and $90 is way too much for a small starfighter.  

I feel like the $60-$80 leap was a little justified in just how much better it looks, but still not worth a full $20 increase, and I agree that $90 is waaaaaaaaay too much. If you look at the new one compared to the 2018 x-wing, the engines are a bit different, but it's not really more detailed or larger, comes with the same amount of figures, and goes for...$10 more somehow? one year isn't enough inflation to make something be 1.125 times the price

Speaking of X-Wings, while I appreciate the rereleases of rare figures, I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed that we’ve gotten a new A-Wing, Y-Wing (and Y-Wing Microfighter), X-Wing, Snowspeeder 4+, and Skyhopper Microfighter, and the only updates helmet we get is the Skyhopper Pilot?

-Poe and Snap look great, no need to fix what isn’t broken

-Is Zorri Bliss really worth getting twice at the expense of a new pilot? I guess we’ll find out next week!!

-No side printing on the Wedge and Skyhopper helmets is just plain lazy and insulting.  I understand in the case of Wedge, where it’s an existing print, and little kids might not care about the skylight difference, but the Skyhopper helmet really needs side printing, especially given its prominence in the Millennium Falcon training remote scene:

0B45FEB5-731A-40B6-97CA-F8B058E29C35.png

4 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Is Zorri Bliss really worth getting twice at the expense of a new pilot? I guess we’ll find out next week!!

In my opinion definetely yes. I really wanted to get her but I really don't care about the normal Resistance Y-Wing unless I find it with a huge discount, having her appear in a 10$ microfighter is great!

Most of the new Rise of Skywalker sets are available as of today in the Australian retail store David Jones and are 25% off! No Mandalorian BP though.

50 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Most of the new Rise of Skywalker sets are available as of today in the Australian retail store David Jones and are 25% off! No Mandalorian BP though.

Far out, $159.99 RRP for the X-Wing is bloody ridiculous! I remember picking up the TFA one for $90 a few weeks after its release, this is really gonna put me of purchasing new sets :/

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

In my opinion definetely yes. I really wanted to get her but I really don't care about the normal Resistance Y-Wing unless I find it with a huge discount, having her appear in a 10$ microfighter is great!

I’m honestly glad for that perspective, thank you.  To be fair, I don’t have the normal Resistance Y-Wing yet, either.  

I guess I was just holding out for a Jess Pava or Cai Threnalli figure.  

I don’t like Zorri Bliss’s costume design, but like I said, that may very well change after I see what her character actually does in the movie (unless she’s like Captain Phasma, in which case I think everyone will be a little disappointed).  

She’d better fly a Y-Wing, though, that’s all I can say.  :laugh:

I don't care when or how but I really want a figure of

Spoiler

Dave Filoni as a New Republic pilot

from the new Mandalorian episode

Haha, yeah that'd be very cool!
I'd like some of those guard droids as well (the walking ones) :sweet:

Regards,
Mitch

After the review, I have to say that this set is actually really good. While I am not happy with some colour choices (red lava-orange lava, black rocks-dark brown rocks, grey droids-brown droids) and Obi-Wan's platform (too simple), this set does a perfect job as a playset. It has so many great play functions. So overall:

Best display/diorama lighstaber set - Starkiller Base

Best lighstaber playset - Mustafar

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

After the review, I have to say that this set is actually really good. While I am not happy with some colour choices (red lava-orange lava, black rocks-dark brown rocks, grey droids-brown droids) and Obi-Wan's platform (too simple), this set does a perfect job as a playset. It has so many great play functions. So overall:

Best display/diorama lighstaber set - Starkiller Base

Best lighstaber playset - Mustafar

I'm still disappointed by it but I do see at least a few good points. With some modification this could easily be made into a Starkiller-like diorama, the figures and platforms/droids are a good startingpoint. Though I'll definetely wait for a discount if I end up getting it

15 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

My thoughts exactly, the same with kylo's shuttle microfighter. Easy way to gr=et great figures for cheap

43 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm still disappointed by it but I do see at least a few good points. With some modification this could easily be made into a Starkiller-like diorama, the figures and platforms/droids are a good startingpoint. Though I'll definetely wait for a discount if I end up getting it

I still think the lava looks juvenile, but I agree there are some good points besides the figures.

The new TV spot with the Kylo Ren clip was amazing and it made me really want his new TIE as a set. I kinda feel like it’s a given but who knows with TLG sometimes. I think I liked his Silencer better, but this one (TIE Whisper I think?) is still pretty awesome looking

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

(TIE Whisper I think?)

Correct

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The new TV spot with the Kylo Ren clip was amazing and it made me really want his new TIE as a set. I kinda feel like it’s a given but who knows with TLG sometimes. 

I assume that LEGO is holding the TIE Whisper back until the second 2020 wave, due to the necessary inclusion of spoiler-y Minifigs/locations. 

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Competely agree, the minifigures are amazing and the build is actually usefull 

On 12/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

There's no way I'm only buying two of these

Agreed! ?
Also, it appears that the helmets are designed to be interchangeable between Minifigs within each pair (earth-tone / blue), allowing for both Male and Female variants of each Minifig. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

On 12/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, RogueTwo said:

-Is Zorri Bliss really worth getting twice at the expense of a new pilot? 

23 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I really don't care about the normal Resistance Y-Wing

I think that, despite the BTA-NR2 Y-Wing being a New Republic starfighter, the one that appears in TRoS is Zorii's personal ship - Hence her inclusion in the Microfighter. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

21 hours ago, Markalus said:

Really? All I can see are two of the Microfighters and the TIE Dagger. Mind shooting me a link to the Sith Trooper pack? I want to get at least three of those and 25% off is tempting.

46 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Really? All I can see are two of the Microfighters and the TIE Dagger. Mind shooting me a link to the Sith Trooper pack? I want to get at least three of those and 25% off is tempting.

https://www.davidjones.com/Product/23175659?istCompanyId=466a8370-6b00-4f27-87e1-ca6839e80dd6&istFeedId=c85ee275-ef67-4f4f-a549-87a353380077&istItemId=iilltqari&istBid=t

22 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I don't care when or how but I really want a figure of

Reveal hidden contents

Dave Filoni as a New Republic pilot

from the new Mandalorian episode

What do you think the chances of the...

Spoiler

...New Republic fleet trooper. I've always been a fan of the Rebel Fleet Troopers and I like the evolution of the uniform there

5 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Reveal hidden contents

...New Republic fleet trooper. I've always been a fan of the Rebel Fleet Troopers and I like the evolution of the uniform there

I would say pretty low to none. At least from the series. We could see more in TROS possibly or maybe through other shows or movies in the future. I don’t see a set fitting that scene and that character played such a small part

16 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Also, it appears that the helmets are designed to be interchangeable between Minifigs within each pair (earth-tone / blue), allowing for both Male and Female variants of each Minifig. 

i hadn't picked up on that, but you're right! these also all would mix well with the 2011 mandos, I think, though the difference in printing detail might be a little offputting.

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Reveal hidden contents

Depressingly low, as much as I want him and even more so

Spoiler

dave filoni x-wing pilot

it's just not probable at all.

13 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Thanks!

. . . Okay, is it supposed to not have any kind of ‘add to cart’ button? Because that seems wrong.

Yes. When the add to cart button is not there it means they are out of stock. I’d imagine it was popular as it’s the only place in Aus I’ve seen them available. It looks like the 25% discount was only for 24hrs too but I suspect other retailers will release before Christmas as even the local S@H have them listed as coming Dec 18. 

Is it just me, or do the lightsaber blades in the 2020 sets look cloudier? Can anyone with the sets confirm/deny this? Also, if that's the case, is it like a frosted effect on the plastic itself or a change in the color? 

31 minutes ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

Also, if that's the case, is it like a frosted effect on the plastic itself or a change in the color? 

LEGO has changed the makeup of many of their transparent colours, and their new ones are a bit cloudier. This has been apparent on the blues and greens rolling out in the past year, from what I've seen.

23 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

i hadn't picked up on that, but you're right! these also all would mix well with the 2011 mandos, I think, though the difference in printing detail might be a little offputting.

Depressingly low, as much as I want him and even more so

Reveal hidden contents

dave filoni x-wing pilot

it's just not probable at all.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would say pretty low to none. At least from the series. We could see more in TROS possibly or maybe through other shows or movies in the future. I don’t see a set fitting that scene and that character played such a small part

Shame, maybe in an advent calendar or something